PDA

View Full Version : BreakFree question

Slater
04-21-16, 08:41
I've been using Breakfree CLP (and LP) for years with good results. I've heard from a couple folks that Breakfree isn't the best choice to coat the bore before putting the gun away. Any reason why not?

Averageman
04-21-16, 09:16
You could go up a little bit to the General AR section and hit the search function and likely get a better answer.
In my experience CLP hasn't been consistently produced, by that I mean it seems like the formula has been changed over the years. I'm going on my .mil experience and the inconsistent viscosity and smell over the last 30 years or so.
I don't think it is bad, it is just that I do believe you can do as good or better for less $.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-21-16, 10:00
I have to admit, I totally read the title as "Breakfast Question".

SomeOtherGuy
04-21-16, 10:07
BreakFree contains teflon (PTFE) little particles and supposedly that is bad for a barrel that has bullets shot through it. I don't know the details.

There are endless lube threads in AR General, as mentioned. If you have chrome-lined or nitrided barrels and are using noncorrosive ammo (all modern western ammo and commercial-market Russian ammo) you don't need to worry much about protecting the bore.

SteyrAUG
04-21-16, 19:23
I have a bunch of Lugers and 1911s from the first world war, they have been cleaned with everything from 3:1 oil, to WD-40 to god knows what else before I came into possession of them. Unless we are talking about a match grade rifle for serious competition, I think sometimes we worry about this stuff too much.

wildcard600
04-21-16, 23:14
I have a bunch of Lugers and 1911s from the first world war, they have been cleaned with everything from 3:1 oil, to WD-40 to god knows what else before I came into possession of them. Unless we are talking about a match grade rifle for serious competition, I think sometimes we worry about this stuff too much.

This ^^^

I have an old Model 94 that was built in the early thirties and survived many years being lubed and cleaned with god knows what before my father purchased it in the mid 70's. when he got it hoppes and motor oil was the SOP.

gun lube threads are as bad as oil threads on automotive sites, only being eclipsed by "stance" in regards to ridiculousness.

SteyrAUG
04-22-16, 02:23
This ^^^

I have an old Model 94 that was built in the early thirties and survived many years being lubed and cleaned with god knows what before my father purchased it in the mid 70's. when he got it hoppes and motor oil was the SOP.

gun lube threads are as bad as oil threads on automotive sites, only being eclipsed by "stance" in regards to ridiculousness.

I have actually seen MP5s soaking in 5 gallon buckets of mineral spirits. At some point they'd pull them out, fire a burst through them and declare them "clean." These were SWAT guns used by a large city agency. I'm not endorsing this method, but the guys who come save your life are lucky if they even heard of Break Free in many cases.

thei3ug
04-22-16, 06:09
... Errm, I may have used the above method in the past.