PDA

View Full Version : Prince Found Dead

Sensei
04-21-16, 12:29
Although his music was not my genre, he helped define 80's pop culture that was my childhood.

RIP

WillBrink
04-21-16, 12:34
Although his music was not my genre, he helped define 80's pop culture that was my childhood.

RIP

Agreed, never considered him a musical "genius" some claim, he's a musical icon and obviously too young to go.

Edit:

Link to TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-dead-at-57/

Ryno12
04-21-16, 12:36
...and on the Queen's birthday of all days. Sad.

Was he hanging out with Chyna lately? 🤔

THCDDM4
04-21-16, 12:55
Prince was actually one hell of a guitarist. Very underrated.

I dig some of his music. Gotta be in the right mood for it though.

RIP

Averageman
04-21-16, 12:56
I do consider him a musical genius. He was innovative, a great song writer and played almost all of the instruments (as many as 27 if I remember correctly) on several studio albums.
His guitar work on "A Tribute to George" where he played the lead on While My Guitar Gently Weeps really opened my eyes as to what an accomplished guitar player he really was.
I think we would have had a lot more of his music had the feud with Warner Brothers Records never happened.
We lost a Great One.

Firefly
04-21-16, 13:12
Hmm.
Maybe now his music will be available digitally.
Curious what killed him.
I don't really like anything he did after the 80s but Purple Rain was a great record.

Phillygunguy
04-21-16, 13:17
Prince was actually one hell of a guitarist. Very underrated.

RIP

Damn right he was RIP

THCDDM4
04-21-16, 13:23
Damn right he was RIP

The dudes guitar work is killer. Some of the hardest to play/replicate.

First time I saw him live it blew my mind, everyone thinks of him as androgynous, sexual and weird; I think of him as a guitar virtuoso. He was very talented all around, he could play just about every instrument created and do it well.

Phillygunguy
04-21-16, 13:25
The dudes guitar work is killer. Some of the hardest to play/replicate.

First time I saw him live it blew my mind, everyone thinks of him as androgynous, sexual and weird; I think of him as a guitar virtuoso. He was very talented all around, he could play just about every instrument created and do it well.
Without a doubt pure genius

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Averageman
04-21-16, 13:27
Hmm.
Maybe now his music will be available digitally.
Curious what killed him.
I don't really like anything he did after the 80s but Purple Rain was a great record.

As odd as it sounds he was very recently sick with a severe case of the Flu. They actually rerouted and landed his plane because of it.
Prince being Prince he played the next day and died shortly afterwards.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=prince+plays+while+my+guitar+gently+weeps&view=detail&mid=0579A93281C55B88B38A0579A93281C55B88B38A&FORM=VIRE

brickboy240
04-21-16, 13:37
Sad...RIP.

Prince was very creative and original. The man was an innovator although most saw him as very odd.

He played several instruments and was a fantastic guitar player. He also wrote and produced his own music.

It could be said that Prince was the black David Bowie....a true pioneer.

Firefly
04-21-16, 13:38
"Flu-like symptoms", I've found, is usually code for AIDS or narcotics OD/withdrawal

ETA again, respect, because I even had the T shirt. That was a good record

brickboy240
04-21-16, 13:49
You have to admit...his Superbowl halftime performance was awesome. Again....great guitar work.

He was a total showman.

Alex V
04-21-16, 14:05
His guitar work on Purple Rain (song) was simply amazing. One of my favorite guitar performances ever.

MountainRaven
04-21-16, 15:37
Better to burn out than to fade away.

RiP.

titsonritz
04-21-16, 15:53
Man, 57, way too young to go, just like so may other greats. RIP.

Boba Fett v2
04-21-16, 16:08
I do consider him a musical genius. He was innovative, a great song writer and played almost all of the instruments (as many as 27 if I remember correctly) on several studio albums.
His guitar work on "A Tribute to George" where he played the lead on While My Guitar Gently Weeps really opened my eyes as to what an accomplished guitar player he really was.
I think we would have had a lot more of his music had the feud with Warner Brothers Records never happened.
We lost a Great One.

+1

I was in shock when I heard the news. I can associate many childhood memories to his earlier albums released in the 70s and 80s. I literally shed a tear today, and I don't cry when I hear about celebrities passing. RIP

http://www.vogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/17/1-prince-passport-photo-holding.jpg

Averageman
04-21-16, 16:24
For a guy who was a devote vegetarian and a Jehovah's Witness, non Smoker, drinker or drugs to check out at 57, sumthin's up. I mean in the most ironic medical way nothing scandalous.
They said on the radio on my way home he has over 1000 unreleased songs sitting and waiting in the studio. All complete, just waiting to release.

Firefly
04-21-16, 16:43
Well...yes and no.
Prince no doubt had talent. He MADE a lot of the 80s pop scene what it was. He did a lot of songs for other people that you wouldn't think he would do, but he did.

Remember them CHARLIE MURPHY stories? And he talked about Prince beating everyone's ass at basketball? And it came out that Prince was actually really, really good at basketball.

But....he did like women and sex. He went through a LOT of women. He didn't run his suck about it like Gene Simmons(who the majority were fat chicks). But it was understood that he went through a lot of women.

Hot women. Like Vanity and Teena Marie (in her prime). The only problem is that these women also were involved with some other guys who were flash in the pan types who got them turned on to dope.

I don't want to besmirch a man who honestly comprised ,directly and indirectly, the soundtrack of my childhood, but if it came out that he caught something down the line and just never talked about it; It wouldn't surprise me.

And despite his flamboyance, I seriously doubt he was gay or experimented.

I remember watching videos on Night Flight and seeing 1999 for the forst time and it seemed like this big futuristic concept.

Hank6046
04-21-16, 16:56
As someone who grew up in the Twin Cities and played guitar in garage bands all through high school Prince was always someone I really admired him even though I played more Tony Iommi, I would just hear those really beautiful guitar and he had me. As I got older I dated a college girl who worshiped him and even though I still don't like everything hes done, I really started to admire his music, he never sold out and tried to change to fit the popular trends of R&B, really sucks now that he is gone.

SteyrAUG
04-21-16, 16:57
Agreed, never considered him a musical "genius" some claim, he's a musical icon and obviously too young to go.

Edit:

Link to TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-dead-at-57/

His genius wasn't found in most of his popular hits like "Kiss" or "Let's Go Crazy." His genius always existed on the B side with tracks like "She's Always In My Hair", "Erotic City", "Girls and Boys", etc.

And perhaps genius isn't really the correct word, he was more broad range talent with wildly successful experimental departures from the pop formula.

SteyrAUG
04-21-16, 17:00
Well...yes and no.
Prince no doubt had talent. He MADE a lot of the 80s pop scene what it was. He did a lot of songs for other people that you wouldn't think he would do, but he did.

Remember them CHARLIE MURPHY stories? And he talked about Prince beating everyone's ass at basketball? And it came out that Prince was actually really, really good at basketball.

But....he did like women and sex. He went through a LOT of women. He didn't run his suck about it like Gene Simmons(who the majority were fat chicks). But it was understood that he went through a lot of women.

Hot women. Like Vanity and Teena Marie (in her prime). The only problem is that these women also were involved with some other guys who were flash in the pan types who got them turned on to dope.

I don't want to besmirch a man who honestly comprised ,directly and indirectly, the soundtrack of my childhood, but if it came out that he caught something down the line and just never talked about it; It wouldn't surprise me.

And despite his flamboyance, I seriously doubt he was gay or experimented.

I remember watching videos on Night Flight and seeing 1999 for the forst time and it seemed like this big futuristic concept.

You are forgetting Sheena Easton, Carmen Electra and Kim Basinger.

JC5188
04-21-16, 17:58
Said on the news earlier that he could not read music. I know there are others who this is true for, but it amazes me that someone can be as prolific as him and not read music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
04-21-16, 18:03
His genius wasn't found in most of his popular hits like "Kiss" or "Let's Go Crazy." His genius always existed on the B side with tracks like "She's Always In My Hair", "Erotic City", "Girls and Boys", etc.

And perhaps genius isn't really the correct word, he was more broad range talent with wildly successful experimental departures from the pop formula.

I can fully agree with that assessment.

.46caliber
04-21-16, 18:04
Said on the news earlier that he could not read music. I know there are others who this is true for, but it amazes me that someone can be as prolific as him and not read music.

Dave Grohl is another. Amazing how much music those two dudes have produced without being able to read music.

HKGuns
04-21-16, 18:14
RIP little guy, you played one heck of a guitar.

WickedWillis
04-21-16, 18:19
Musically, he had incredible gifts on many instruments. I was never a fan of the music, but I respected his ability to play it and be himself.

Boba Fett v2
04-21-16, 19:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

SteyrAUG
04-21-16, 19:14
I can fully agree with that assessment.

And then there are all the artists and careers he launched. One of the first he produced and recorded on his Paisley Park label was "The Family." I remember listening to this one constantly summer of 85.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKUNA9DDgDs

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-21-16, 22:03
I start singing "Raspberry Sorbet" every time someone orders sorbet.

Sensei
04-21-16, 22:23

Yeah, I think that about answers the, "Was Prince a genius?" questions. Anyone who can make Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne shake their heads in amazement is a fu<cking Jedi Master.

My wife happens to be in Minneapolis today on business. She says that the roads toward his studio and home are packed and the city is lit in purple. There is also a Prince Dance Party from 11-7 tonight in the streets downtown.

Ryno12
04-21-16, 22:25
My wife happens to be in Minneapolis today on business. She says that the roads toward his studio and home are packed and the city is lit in purple.

Isn't Minneapolis always purple? [emoji6]

Averageman
04-21-16, 22:26
F'ing Opiates, Damn.

tb-av
04-21-16, 22:31

Reading music and understanding music theory are two different things. You can be fluent in musical arrangement but not necessarily be able to read the dots. It's two different worlds. Also he was the creator so he knew what he was doing. It would be up to other musicians to 'read the music'... but even then it is often a chart and not typically dots on lines.

The guy speaking in this interview is one smart dude and I can tell you he and others like him were in awe of Prince. I was never a big Prince fan for no particular reason but I always liked to hear him and see him perform. I can remember being at a Party way back and told everyone that he was going to be like a new Hendrix. Everyone just stopped, looked at me, and just shrugged it off as though I had totally lost it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9JUz-BHOHA

Averageman
04-21-16, 23:01
Kevin Smith on Prince.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc
More "Vault" references.

Firefly
04-21-16, 23:55
You know, I wish I knew Prince was in town. I would've gone. You always think there will be another chance.

I remember seeing Tsunami Bomb at the Masquerade. Then they broke up.

People say "There you go...putting on headphones and tuning out"

But while I have no talent, I listen to stuff everyday. It can cheer you up or embolden a feeling. And while not all of these guys were angels, they were literally irreplaceable. We shall NEVER have another Prince, another Bowie, another Lemmy, or any of those guys.

I'm personally feeling blessed that I was alive to see some of it. To listen to Purple Rain the first time. Or Partyman from Batman.

I feel sorry for people today who have no musical heroes. Justin Bieber? Katy Perry? Some bullshit dope money rappervof the minute?

Naw,man. That's nothing. No feeling or soul. No substance.

Man 2016 sucks.

tb-av
04-22-16, 00:21
https://vimeo.com/121500647

tb-av
04-22-16, 00:56
I'm personally feeling blessed that I was alive to see some of it.

Me too. I got to see a lot of them. I never saw Prince though. Never saw Hendrix. Most people don't realize how talented these people were/are.

Moose-Knuckle
04-22-16, 03:25
Dave Grohl is another. Amazing how much music those two dudes have produced without being able to read music.

Same with B.B. King.

Moose-Knuckle
04-22-16, 03:31
My wife is a huge Bowie and Prince fan, she schooled me earlier about the songs he wrote for other artists that were mega hits . . .

11 Popular Songs You Never Knew Prince Wrote

1. "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor
2. "Manic Monday" by The Bangles
3. "Love Song" by Madonna
4. "Stand Back" by Stevie Nicks
5. "I Feel For You" by Chaka Khan
6. "The Glamorous Life" by Sheila E.
7. "Jungle Love" by The Time
8. "With This Tear" by Celine Dion
9. "Sugar Walls" by Sheena Easton
10. "Love... Thy Will Be Done" by Martika
11. "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?" by Alicia Keys

http://www.people.com/article/prince-songs-written-for-others

SteyrAUG
04-22-16, 04:20
Never mind, Moose beat me to it.

His songs also launched or resurrected the careers of most of those artists.

djegators
04-22-16, 07:32
Guess I just don't get it...maybe it is a style thing or something, I just n ever really clicked with his music, and the non stop media and social media on him seems over blown to me. But everyone has different tastes.

WillBrink
04-22-16, 07:42
Guess I just don't get it...maybe it is a style thing or something, I just n ever really clicked with his music, and the non stop media and social media on him seems over blown to me. But everyone has different tastes.

The man could play, that's for sure:

djegators
04-22-16, 07:45
The man could play, that's for sure:

Yup...I get that....but he didn't make music like that, IMO. Guess I never dug deep enough to get past the produced pop music, some of which was fun to listen to you, but never touched me. And that list of 11 songs, yeah some big hits, but again, nothing that ever touched me. Guess it is a style thing, but I never thought of him as much more than a 80s pop star.

WillBrink
04-22-16, 07:54
Yup...I get that....but he didn't make music like that, IMO. Guess I never dug deep enough to get past the produced pop music, some of which was fun to listen to you, but never touched me. And that list of 11 songs, yeah some big hits, but again, nothing that ever touched me. Guess it is a style thing, but I never thought of him as much more than a 80s pop star.

He was far more than an 80s pop start for sure, but I made similar comments as you did past pages and SteyrAUG gave a response that summed it up perfectly. The death of David Bowie a far bigger loss to music and a musician with far greater impacts and legacy to me.

djegators
04-22-16, 07:58
He was far more than an 80s pop start for sure, but I made similar comments as you did past pages and SteyrAUG gave a response that summed it up perfectly. The death of David Bowie a far bigger loss to music and a musician with far greater impacts and legacy to me.

Well, when Glen Frey passed, someone I truly consider a legend, there were plenty of people who stated how much they hated the Eagles...so much of it is subjective. I really enjoyed Bowie, got several CDs in my collection, seen him live a few times. Eagles are an all time top 10 or 5 for me, seen them live, got most of their CDs....I never once thought about seeing Prince live, never had any interest in buying any Prince CDs. Different strokes...

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-22-16, 08:02
You need a lot of different flowers to make a garden.

Boba Fett v2
04-22-16, 10:20
You need a lot of different flowers to make a garden.

Yup.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

soulezoo
04-22-16, 10:22
Disclaimer: not a Prince fan.

However I can appreciate his chops and what he did and the influence he had. I'm not a Bowie fan either but can appreciate his work as well.

Prince was his own man. He duplicated no one and no one could duplicate him. Uniqueness, talent and accomplishment puts him into that pantheon of musical greats.

Waylander
04-22-16, 10:45
Mayte Garcia and Prince had a baby boy in 1996 and he died a week after he was born. She got pregnant again and had a miscarriage. That had to have been tough.

It took a toll on the both of them according to Garcia and others. They got divorced in 1999.

pinzgauer
04-22-16, 10:55
I don't have to be a fan of his music style to recognize he was a very talented writer and performer. And there were some of his songs that I did not hate when I heard them, much as it pains me to admit it.

And every now and then I'd see a live clip of him jamming on the electric guitar, I'd realize he was an instinctive player, probably up there with Hendrix, Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughn. If he had done more of that and less pop I'd would have been a fan

tarkeg
04-22-16, 12:02
That version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is an all time great. Like Sensei said, Jedi master stuff.

When he played at the halftime show for the Super Bowl, it started raining. Assuming he would act like many other stars and want to cancel they asked him "It's raining a bit, is that O.K.?" and he said, "Can you make it rain harder?".

Two more things. Once during an interview, Eric Clapton was asked what it's like to be the greatest guitar player of all time. He said "I'm not sure, go ask Prince".

Anyone who got with Sheena Easton Easton in her prime is my hero.

soulezoo
04-22-16, 12:13
"Flu-like symptoms", I've found, is usually code for AIDS or narcotics OD/withdrawal

ETA again, respect, because I even had the T shirt. That was a good record

Looks like you nailed it here... first reports are Percocet addiction/OD.

Turnkey11
04-23-16, 00:28
This skit is about the only thing I ever liked about Prince. How he nailed the hottest women in the 80's still amazes me.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4e9_1378942481

SteyrAUG
04-23-16, 01:10
Looks like you nailed it here... first reports are Percocet addiction/OD.

If that proves true, that's really sad.

Just because you can afford to buy as much as you want, doesn't mean you should actually take it. See Michael Jackson for reasons to not attempt self medication no matter how much you think you are sure about what you need and can handle.

Musically, the guy was just brilliant, but sad as it is...at the end of the day...he was just another person who seemed to be born with talent and advantages, got way ahead of the game and still managed to trip himself up and bring it all to an end. What a waste of so many things.

newyork
04-23-16, 10:46
As far as I know, Prince shunned drugs and alcohol his entire life. I read this morning that he was having extreme hip and heel pain and was on pain killers. Seems they got the better of him.

As far as guitar, in the past 10 years or more he has been playing a shit ton of guitar on stage. Seems he wore one more often than not lately.
His talent is in his overall musicianship. He was very proficient at many instruments. He was also super driven and never stopped working.

Firefly
04-23-16, 10:50
He might have had an actual accidental OD. Like not tripping balls for kicks, but he just hurt too bad and overmedicated. He was not a tall or large man. Very easy for that to happen, especially if he had other medicines.

In this case it probably was an honest mishap.

Sensei
04-23-16, 12:41
If that proves true, that's really sad.

Just because you can afford to buy as much as you want, doesn't mean you should actually take it. See Michael Jackson for reasons to not attempt self medication no matter how much you think you are sure about what you need and can handle.

Musically, the guy was just brilliant, but sad as it is...at the end of the day...he was just another person who seemed to be born with talent and advantages, got way ahead of the game and still managed to trip himself up and bring it all to an end. What a waste of so many things.

If he really had an addiction to prescription opiates, it will be interesting to see what will become of the doctors who were prescribing them and his handlers who were enabling. Supposedly his plane had to make an emergency landing 2 weeks ago because he overdosed. That's a big red flag to his physicians.

I'm not sure (yet) that it will be criminal negligence like MJ where he hired a quack with all the ethics of an earth worm to use general anesthesia without monitoring equipment. However, family members of the celebrity fallen usually come out of the woodwork to get their cut and I can already hear the malpractice dinner bell a'ring'en.

SteyrAUG
04-23-16, 12:57
He might have had an actual accidental OD. Like not tripping balls for kicks, but he just hurt too bad and overmedicated. He was not a tall or large man. Very easy for that to happen, especially if he had other medicines.

In this case it probably was an honest mishap.

Entirely possible. It's the overmedicated part that is the really bad idea I referenced.

If he really had an addiction to prescription opiates, it will be interesting to see what will become of the doctors who were prescribing them and his handlers who were enabling. Supposedly his plane had to make an emergency landing 2 weeks ago because he overdosed. That's a big red flag to his physicians.

I'm not sure (yet) that it will be criminal negligence like MJ where he hired a quack with all the ethics of an earth worm to use general anesthesia without monitoring equipment. However, family members of the celebrity fallen usually come out of the woodwork to get their cut and I can already hear the malpractice dinner bell a'ring'en.

Will be interesting to see who has the nerve. No kids and a couple ex wives. I think his employees have a better claim of lost support.

Hmac
04-23-16, 13:14
Video shows him pacing outside of a local Walgreens while friends/family/handlers are inside picking up a prescription...fourth visit to that pharmacy in as many days. Suspicious, especially in light of his oxydodone overdose a week ago. Certainly raises questions, and I'd be interested to see who is prescribing what and for whom. All that is likely to come out, of course. I know that the guy wasn't particularly healthy, and has been in a lot of pain since his hip replacement in 2010. Wonder which hip was giving him pain.

I'll also be interested to see to what degree his death amps up the rhetoric surrounding prescription opiate addiction. I prescribe a fair amount of oxycodone and it's looking like more restrictions on pain medicine prescribing are coming down the pike.

Spiffums
04-23-16, 18:32
What always surprises people is the number of songs he wrote for other people that were hits.

tb-av
04-23-16, 22:08
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/04/22/defying-description-zz-tops-billy-gibbons-on-prince-the-sensational-guitarist/

Sensei
04-24-16, 11:11
Video shows him pacing outside of a local Walgreens while friends/family/handlers are inside picking up a prescription...fourth visit to that pharmacy in as many days. Suspicious, especially in light of his oxydodone overdose a week ago. Certainly raises questions, and I'd be interested to see who is prescribing what and for whom. All that is likely to come out, of course. I know that the guy wasn't particularly healthy, and has been in a lot of pain since his hip replacement in 2010. Wonder which hip was giving him pain.

I'll also be interested to see to what degree his death amps up the rhetoric surrounding prescription opiate addiction. I prescribe a fair amount of oxycodone and it's looking like more restrictions on pain medicine prescribing are coming down the pike.

Only peripherally related but funny nonetheless:

http://zdoggmd.com/doc-vader-vs-hospital-administrator/

Averageman
04-24-16, 16:13
More sad news from the Music Industry Today;
Unfortunatly Kanye West was found alive and well in his apartment this afternoon.

Firefly
04-24-16, 16:36
Unfortunatly Kanye West was found alive and well in his apartment this afternoon.

It's moments like this that honestly test my faith in the Lord, y'know?

SteyrAUG
04-24-16, 17:07

No shit. That's some serious karmic injustice.

titsonritz
04-24-16, 19:13

That right there is some funny shit and so true.

ramairthree
04-25-16, 00:54
My first time going all the way was with a girl a year or two older than me and she had her brand new Purple Rain record on. Plenty of other music I had made out to before then,
But that was the music for the big moment.

Would not mind going back to 15 again.
We should get do-overs for our first time.

Strange guy but I thought a musical genius.

Cause of death is sad as he, like Adam Ant and some others back then were rumored to not be druggies which I thought was cool.

Although,
Someone that active with surgeries and chronic pain getting hooked on chronic pain meds still trying to perform I can see.

Moose-Knuckle
04-25-16, 02:50
Drug Dealer: Prince Spent $40,000 At A Time On Pain Pills For 25 Years

Speaking exclusively to Daily Mail Online, the performer's long-time dealer - who asked to be named only as Doctor D - revealed the singer would spend up to $40,000 a time on six-month supplies of Dilaudid pills and Fentanyl patches - both highly addictive opioid pain killers.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/04/24/drug-dealer-prince-spent-40000-time-pain-pills-25-years

This is a pretty cool story from the children of Prince's longtime bodyguard.

Growing Up With Prince: Children of Star's Longtime Bodyguard Open Up About His Very Private Life

As children, Prince spent a lot of time with the family and would come to Fourth of July cookouts at the Huntsberry's home, where he played volleyball and hide-and-go-seek in his signature high heels. "A lot of times at school he would pick us up in his tour bus or limo," recalls eldest daughter Tina Khan, who was Prince's personal assistant in the 80's. "He would step out and be like 'I'm picking my girls up.' " For their birthdays, Prince would always get them a dozen roses and candy. "He had the biggest sweet tooth ever," recalls Huntsberry's son Chuck. Chuck tells PEOPLE he still owns the singer's first motorcycle, "Dad taught him how to ride it."

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/growing-prince-children-stars-longtime-143501068.html

Scoby
04-25-16, 05:18

Now that is a low down dirty shame. I can't stand that bastard.

platoonDaddy
04-25-16, 05:23
Prince fans aren’t happy to see their pop-star’s death used for political gain.

During a campaign rally in Dunmore, Pennsylvania, Hillary Clinton walked out to Prince’s iconic “Let’s Go Crazy” anthem, following his death earlier in the week.

“You think of him as being almost eternal,” Clinton said to a Philadelphia radio station after learning of his passing. “I mean, he was a bigger-than-life personality. He was not only a songwriter and a singer but literally a one-man band. He was such a great showman. I just was so, so sad.”

But, longtime Prince fans quickly took to Twitter to show their disdain for Clinton using a Prince song in order to gain political points possibly, or make it seem as though she, herself, was an avid Prince fan.

The_War_Wagon
04-25-16, 08:02
During a campaign rally in Dunmore, Pennsylvania, Hillary Clinton walked out to Prince’s iconic “Let’s Go Crazy” anthem, following his death earlier in the week.

I thought the KLIN - TON's were Fleetwood Mac fans?

This would seem a more suitable campaign theme for her. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5HkuhSEnPQ

Firefly
04-25-16, 11:55
Prince was a lot like Robert Smith. He wasn't really political. His only real political song was "Ronnie Talk to the Russians" and a tossaway line in 1999 "Ronnie's got a bomb, we could all die any day", but aside from that he wasn't all that and would've been pissed that Clinton would do that.

But the Clintons were never known for class

Even in Ronnie Talk to the Russians he cited funding Left Wing guerrillas as a problem. He really was more anti-WWIII than anything

soulezoo
04-25-16, 12:15
Prince was not outwardly or outspokenly political. This is true.

One of his closer pals was Van Jones. Others can connect whatever dots they wish.

soulezoo
04-25-16, 12:16
Today's theme seems to be centered on "who gets his $300 million"?

Sensei
04-25-16, 12:44
Prince was not outwardly or outspokenly political. This is true.

One of his closer pals was Van Jones. Others can connect whatever dots they wish.

Actually, he was an outspoken proponent of the BLM movement having performed tributes to Michael Brown and Freddie Gray, and made pro-BLM statements during his Grammy speech last year. Prior to that, he was an outward proponent of black empowerment initiatives since the mid-80's. Most of us probably didn't know this because we didn't follow the daily musings of the guy.

It is also a bit ironic that a guy who spent his last year of life sporting an Afro and supporting BLM would choose to live in Minneapolis because the cold "keeps the bad people out" according to his interview with The Oprah in 1996. I mean, what bad people are we taking about Homie? The ones living in Atlanta, Baltimore, Oakland, Memphis, South Central LA, South Chicago, East St. Louis...?

soulezoo
04-25-16, 12:49
Actually, he was an outspoken proponent of the BLM movement having performed tributes to Michael Brown and Freddie Gray, and made pro-BLM statements during his Grammy speech last year. Prior to that, he was an outward proponent of black empowerment initiatives since the mid-80's. Most of us probably didn't know this because we didn't follow the daily musings of the guy.

It is also a bit ironic that a guy who spent his last year of life sporting an Afro and supporting BLM would choose to live in Minneapolis because the cold "keeps the bad people out" according to his interview with The Oprah in 1996. I mean, what bad people are we taking about Homie? The ones living in Atlanta, South Chicago, East St. Louis...?

Well you are correct there... I did not follow his daily musings and therefore missed that involvement.

SteyrAUG
04-25-16, 12:52
Prince fans aren’t happy to see their pop-star’s death used for political gain.

“You think of him as being almost eternal,” Clinton said to a Philadelphia radio station after learning of his passing. “I mean, he was a bigger-than-life personality. He was not only a songwriter and a singer but literally a one-man band. He was such a great showman. I just was so, so sad.”

But, longtime Prince fans quickly took to Twitter to show their disdain for Clinton using a Prince song in order to gain political points possibly, or make it seem as though she, herself, was an avid Prince fan.

They should remind Clinton that the last VP of her husband wasn't a huge Prince fan. In fact after being horrified by "Darling Nikki" Tipper Gore launched the PMRC which regulated what music could be sold to teens. And it very much was "black music" control, but they tell you they aren't racists.

Boba Fett v2
04-25-16, 13:13
I would prefer artist and entertainers stay out of politics myself as I don't really don't give a rats ass where they stand on issues as long as they're making good music. Kind of hard to do in this day and age (it's been that way for decades now anyway).

Firefly
04-25-16, 13:15
I'm chagrin to hear he was a BLM person.

I always thought since he was mixed and liked white girls that he practiced the whole "not hung up on race" bit he preached for years.

I'll chalk it up to being hepped up on percocet.

Are there a LOT of bullshit cops out there these days? Oh hell yes.

But I chalk it up to the new hiring practices and the fact that people are on BS now but objectively speaking Michael Brown and all these other Dindus got what they had coming.

The guy who got shot in a gas station parking lot over a BS seat belt ticket, I felt bad for.

White kid shot on his crotch rocket by a dumbass, I felt bad for.

But these others can kiss my ass.

Firefly
04-25-16, 13:22
They should remind Clinton that the last VP of her husband wasn't a huge Prince fan. In fact after being horrified by "Darling Nikki" Tipper Gore launched the PMRC which regulated what music could be sold to teens. And it very much was "black music" control, but they tell you they aren't racists.

THIS.

A lot of the laws we have regarding drugs, guns, and speech are rooted in de facto Jim Crow. The fact that it trickles down to white folks is icing on the cake.

And the greatest champions tend to be Left wingers.

I won't forget them trying to pass (and essentially did) "Saturday night special " laws because some guns were 'too cheap'.

Being real, historically black meant historically poor. Crime prevention had nothing to do with it.

Besides, most thugs just steal their guns.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-25-16, 16:32
Why couldn't it have been Prince Charles....

rocsteady
04-25-16, 17:26
Did anyone see the other thing going around the internet that said, "in other sad news today Kanye West was found still alive in his apartment."

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-25-16, 18:28
Did anyone see the other thing going around the internet that said, "in other sad news today Kanye West was found still alive in his apartment."

Ha! I told my cab driver that Prince OD and we can't get Kanye to take an asprin.....

Ryno12
04-25-16, 18:29

Nope. That's a new one. [emoji6]

JC5188
04-25-16, 20:47
As far as I know, Prince shunned drugs and alcohol his entire life. I read this morning that he was having extreme hip and heel pain and was on pain killers. Seems they got the better of him.

As far as guitar, in the past 10 years or more he has been playing a shit ton of guitar on stage. Seems he wore one more often than not lately.
His talent is in his overall musicianship. He was very proficient at many instruments. He was also super driven and never stopped working.

From what I'm hearing, that may have been driven by his conversion to Jehovahs Witness. A lot of his pop stuff...the mainstream anyway, was about banging chicks. Apparently he refused to play much of it.

JC5188
04-25-16, 21:05

It is also a bit ironic that a guy who spent his last year of life sporting an Afro and supporting BLM would choose to live in Minneapolis because the cold "keeps the bad people out" according to his interview with The Oprah in 1996. I mean, what bad people are we taking about Homie? The ones living in Atlanta, Baltimore, Oakland, Memphis, South Central LA, South Chicago, East St. Louis...?

He was a "Chem trail" loon, too. Believed the government was controlling black neighborhoods with chemicals.

Talented, but a kook

http://youtu.be/4UkSIcm_y7Y

Boba Fett v2
04-26-16, 10:13
He was a "Chem trail" loon, too. Believed the government was controlling black neighborhoods with chemicals.

Talented, but a kook

http://youtu.be/4UkSIcm_y7Y

Funny how whenever people tend to consider ideas outside of the conventional that doesn't jive with our world view they are ridiculed and labeled.

David Gilmour breaks in the middle of the performance of Comfortably Numb to pay homage to Prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcDHXoQmxu0

JC5188
04-26-16, 12:21
Funny how whenever people tend to consider ideas outside of the conventional that doesn't jive with our world view they are ridiculed and labeled.

David Gilmour breaks in the middle of the performance of Comfortably Numb to pay homage to Prince.

When someone ascribes to the notion that blacks are violent because "white people are poisoning our children", then says he shows this drivel to everybody that comes to his house..."especially white folk, cause they need to see it". And then I watch this crap, and it's Dick Gregory saying things like this, and "whatchu put in my malt liquor, WHITE BOY?!?"

Then yes, I probably have a differing world view.

I'm a fan of his music. Always have been. But I'm not a racist. I don't blame others for my shortcomings based on THEIR race...especially theirs. And frankly, I'm tired of the one way street this issue seems to have become.

Boba Fett v2
04-26-16, 21:43
When someone ascribes to the notion that blacks are violent because "white people are poisoning our children", then says he shows this drivel to everybody that comes to his house.... And then I watch this crap, and it's Dick Gregory saying things like this, and "whatchu put in my malt liquor, WHITE BOY?!?"

Then yes, I probably have a differing world view.

I'm a fan of his music. Always have been. But I'm not a racist. I don't blame others for my shortcomings based on THEIR race...especially theirs. And frankly, I'm tired of the one way street this issue seems to have become.

He never said "white people are poisoning our children" or "especially white folk, cause they need to see it" so your argument is invalid from the jump. Or are we just assuming because he's Black that he feels that way as all Blacks must feel this way? And usually if someone has to say "I'm not a racist" to defend their position, well then...

'Night!

Sensei
04-26-16, 22:25

That doesn't surprise me too much. Gilmour is one of best lead guitarist of his era and probably had a lot of respect for Prince's abilities. It also helps that Gilmour is a socialist.

tb-av
04-27-16, 00:37
He never said "white people are poisoning our children" or "especially white folk, cause they need to see it" so your argument is invalid from the jump.

You might to re-listen to the part from 2:30 to about 3:00.... "I show it to everybody that comes over to the house, especially white folks, because they really need to hear.....'THAT' " the way he phrased it, "they" is everybody, but white people especially.

Jehovah's Witnesses are very interested in chemicals, poisons, environmental issues, etc but he was clearly drawing a distinction to chem trails and black neighborhood violence.

The inference would be that it comes from the ruling class who are mostly white but that your basic white guy doesn't know it's going on either. So yeah.... it's pretty out there. It's the first I've ever heard of chem trails only impacting blacks, and same for malt liquor.

There are lots of crazy ass musicians. Brilliant at their craft but bat shit crazy too. He may have been susceptible to alternate thoughts and ideas simply because it fed his craft.

In other news.... Phil Spector, from prison, recently filed for divorce.

JC5188
04-27-16, 05:11
He never said "white people are poisoning our children" or "especially white folk, cause they need to see it" so your argument is invalid from the jump. Or are we just assuming because he's Black that he feels that way as all Blacks must feel this way? And usually if someone has to say "I'm not a racist" to defend their position, well then...

'Night!

So, the video I posted...I'm imagining that? Come on, now...

And yeah, my racist ass came across that looking for prince music videos to listen to the night he died. I ended up buying it, because he had the sense to keep his stuff off yt. So, his estimated net worth of $300 mil is now $300,000,001.29

That's the "one way street the conversation has taken" that I'm referring to. I call attention to what the guy actually said, and I'm called a closet racist.

Brilliant. Thanks for making my point. I certainly didn't set out to offend you personally, however.

Boba Fett v2
04-27-16, 09:13
It looks like I missed that link in your post, but a quick google search on those quotes netted zero positive results, hence my response. Anyway, whether what he says is true or not (regarding chem trails), in his mind he's bringing awareness to a group of people who might otherwise not be open to other ideas. Whether or not you choose to believe it is up to you. I wouldn't necessarily refer to these people as kooks or racists because their world view differs from my own. We all have different experiences as we go through life. Those experiences shape our view of the world around us. What might not make sense to you might make perfect sense to someone else. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but we are products of what we experience and what we allow to influence our thoughts and ideas. Just something to consider when we step outside of ourselves and try to see things through another's perspective. Something we as a society as a whole are not really good at, especially when the media constantly perpetuates this idea of "us vs. them".

Although I find Alex Jones quite entertaining, and he's likely a disinformation agent, I can't help but wonder if there might be some truth to some of the wild ideas that are out there. I try to keep an open mind to all possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcYqFjvNpQ

JC5188
04-27-16, 10:03
It looks like I missed that link in your post, but a quick google search on those quotes netted zero positive results, hence my response. Anyway, whether what he says is true or not (regarding chem trails), in his mind he's bringing awareness to a group of people who might otherwise not be open to other ideas. Whether or not you choose to believe it is up to you. I wouldn't necessarily refer to these people as kooks or racists because their world view differs from my own. We all have different experiences as we go through life. Those experiences shape our view of the world around us. What might not make sense to you might make perfect sense to someone else. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but we are products of what we experience and what we choose to allow what influences our thoughts and ideas. Just something to consider when we step outside of ourselves and try to see things through another perspective. Something we as a society as a whole are not really good at, especially when the media constantly perpetuates this idea of "us vs. them".

Although I find Alex Jones quite entertaining, and he's likely a disinformation agent, I can't help but wonder if there might be some truth to some of the wild ideas that are out there. I try keep an open mind to all possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcYqFjvNpQ

Fair enough, and quite right I might add. And looking at it again, I was out of line with the name calling, given the nature of the thread.

Boba Fett v2
04-27-16, 10:12
Fair enough, and quite right I might add. And looking at it again, I was out of line with the name calling, given the nature of the thread.

No harm no foul, brother. We're human, which means we're prone to miscommunicate and misunderstand each other sometimes. What's more important than the message itself is the intent behind it. 'Ave a good'un.

WillBrink
04-27-16, 10:16
It looks like I missed that link in your post, but a quick google search on those quotes netted zero positive results, hence my response. Anyway, whether what he says is true or not (regarding chem trails), in his mind he's bringing awareness to a group of people who might otherwise not be open to other ideas. Whether or not you choose to believe it is up to you. I wouldn't necessarily refer to these people as kooks or racists because their world view differs from my own. We all have different experiences as we go through life. Those experiences shape our view of the world around us. What might not make sense to you might make perfect sense to someone else. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but we are products of what we experience and what we allow to influence our thoughts and ideas. Just something to consider when we step outside of ourselves and try to see things through another's perspective. Something we as a society as a whole are not really good at, especially when the media constantly perpetuates this idea of "us vs. them".

Although I find Alex Jones quite entertaining, and he's likely a disinformation agent, I can't help but wonder if there might be some truth to some of the wild ideas that are out there. I try to keep an open mind to all possibilities.

Basic chance tells us that if you throw enough goofy tin foil hat stuff out there, something will actually be true, or have some truth to it. I don't believe Oswald acted alone for example ;)

Firefly
04-27-16, 10:43
"Here lies Prince, no matter what you thought of his height, race, politics, religion, music, or assless chaps....

......he still died richer and with more poon under his belt than you ever will"

That should be his epitaph

JC5188
04-27-16, 10:53
No harm no foul, brother. We're human, which means we're prone to miscommunicate and misunderstand each other sometimes. What's more important than the message itself is the intent behind it. 'Ave a good'un.

You too man. Thanks

:)

JC5188
04-27-16, 10:56
"Here lies Prince, no matter what you thought of his height, race, politics, religion, music, or assless chaps....

......he still died richer and with more poon under his belt than you ever will"

And in typical Gen Dis fashion, Firefly puts the hilariously worded yet true cherry on top. Lol.

WillBrink
04-27-16, 11:39
Learning all sorts of things about Prince i didn't know. He was a Jehovah Witness convert of all things. Not sure why, but would have pegged him more the Christian Science type.

SteyrAUG
04-27-16, 14:20

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Pilot1
04-27-16, 14:27

And if he were happy, he wouldn't have needed to do Opiates every day, and night to cope.

Boba Fett v2
04-27-16, 16:15

Lol That would be pretty awesome.

SteyrAUG
04-27-16, 16:40
And if he were happy, he wouldn't have needed to do Opiates every day, and night to cope.

Do we know that is the case?

Right now it could be that OR he was taking percs to manage pain and he didn't respect the meds enough to follow the dosage. He was never a big guy and it wouldn't take too much to overwhelm his system, especially if he hadn't built a tolerance of any kind.

I'm not saying we know for sure it was the second scenario, but I'm younger than he was and weekly workouts kick my ass. I'm too afraid of prescription pain killers but I take a shit ton of Ibuprofin some times.

And if he ever took a serious injury, and had to "go on with the show" anyway because that's how he pays for shit, I could see it happening easily. But like I said, the jury is still out and reliable facts are few. So I'm not ready to consider him an Amy Winehouse award winner yet.

Sensei
04-27-16, 23:19
Do we know that is the case?

Right now it could be that OR he was taking percs to manage pain and he didn't respect the meds enough to follow the dosage. He was never a big guy and it wouldn't take too much to overwhelm his system, especially if he hadn't built a tolerance of any kind.

I'm not saying we know for sure it was the second scenario, but I'm younger than he was and weekly workouts kick my ass. I'm too afraid of prescription pain killers but I take a shit ton of Ibuprofin some times.

And if he ever took a serious injury, and had to "go on with the show" anyway because that's how he pays for shit, I could see it happening easily. But like I said, the jury is still out and reliable facts are few. So I'm not ready to consider him an Amy Winehouse award winner yet.

The report that he overdosed less than 2 weeks before his death a was resuscitated with Narcan strongly suggests that he had more than a dosing error, if true.

The toxicology report will be able to shed some light but a lot depends on the types of tests used.

SteyrAUG
04-27-16, 23:34
The report that he overdosed less than 2 weeks before his death a was resuscitated with Narcan strongly suggests that he had more than a dosing error, if true.

The toxicology report will be able to shed some light but a lot depends on the types of tests used.

The problem is we don't seem to know that first report to be true and verified either. So right now we have a lot of speculation and assumption based upon speculation.

To be honest, part of me hopes he screwed around with prescription meds and checked himself out playing to "get high but don't die" game. The alternative that it was an accidental OD to mange performance related pain would be even harder to accept, it's like the guy who does everything right but in the end gets hit by a bus on the way to work.

No matter what the true story turns out to be, it's going to be sad either way if you respect Prince as a person, artists or whatever.

Hmac
04-28-16, 11:10

Opiate addiction is not anywhere near that simple.

Averageman
04-28-16, 11:29
Now they are saying he was diagnosed with HIV and died of AIDS.

brickboy240
04-28-16, 11:46
Surprised?

Anyone that is that odd is probably using some sort of drug. Come on now! LOL

chuckman
04-28-16, 11:57
If he was on chronic opiates he probably died of horrible constipation, unable to give birth to the 5# boulder sitting in his lower colon......

Averageman
04-28-16, 13:18
They said in the article he was weighing in at under a buck when he died. If five of that was poo, I bet that hurt; that might make you want to take some pain meds for the.....
Oh, ummm, yeah.

Sensei
04-28-16, 13:31
Now they are saying he was diagnosed with HIV and died of AIDS.

That would be very odd. HIV is now more of an annoyance than a lethal disease.

Averageman
04-28-16, 13:42
That would be very odd. HIV is now more of an annoyance than a lethal disease.
I would agree, I believe some of the articles were saying he refused medication.

Firefly
04-28-16, 15:02
I watched Purple Rain again, relistened to some of his songs, and moved on.

These things happened. My litmus for truly tortured artists in need of perpetual mourning is Ian Curtis.

Go listen to Unknown Pleasures with the full knowledge that it was written by a tormented, depressed and suicidal man.

Then watch Control.

Prince had a good life. 57 we think is young, but it's not. He was comfortable and did what he wanted in life.

I can't feel too badly for him.

SteyrAUG
04-28-16, 15:40
I watched Purple Rain again, relistened to some of his songs, and moved on.

These things happened. My litmus for truly tortured artists in need of perpetual mourning is Ian Curtis.

Go listen to Unknown Pleasures with the full knowledge that it was written by a tormented, depressed and suicidal man.

Then watch Control.

Prince had a good life. 57 we think is young, but it's not. He was comfortable and did what he wanted in life.

I can't feel too badly for him.

But if not for that sacrifice, would we have still gotten Blue Monday?

I'm going to watch "Under a Cherry Moon" so I can remember that even when a guy like Prince dreams big, sometimes it still falls on it's face.

Firefly
04-28-16, 15:45
Maybe.

Though obscure, the Joy Division version of Ceremony sounds pretty hardcore. The vocals are partial as the one time they played it; the mike had issues but when you hear Ian Curtis wail "I'll strike them down, no mercy shown", it sounds pretty intense.

Bernard Albrecht made into a weepy electric thing. Ian Curtis had the anger behind it.

Though I concede, I couldn't imagine life without Blue Monday. It likely wouldn't have happened

TacticalSledgehammer
04-28-16, 18:59
https://youtu.be/t_pfQYrTRB8

ForTehNguyen
04-29-16, 16:50
http://dailysignal.com/2016/04/29/why-over-half-of-princes-estate-will-go-to-the-government/

Firefly
04-29-16, 16:58
Since I found out Prince was a BLMtard, good. I'm sure the government will put it to better use.

As for me, I'd have my affairs in order.

SteyrAUG
04-29-16, 17:09
http://dailysignal.com/2016/04/29/why-over-half-of-princes-estate-will-go-to-the-government/

Not surprising. And I'd rather his estate fund the FSA than me. He wasn't married and didn't have kids and if his extended family doesn't like it they should take it up with the Democrats they put in office.

The only really sad part is the employees that will lose hard won jobs when his business is sold in order to cover estate taxes.