PDA

View Full Version : New guy, new rifle

Professor Gascan
04-21-16, 17:47
Just got back from the first range session with my new PSA 14.7 chf mid-length. Took about 20 rounds to sight in and was pretty surprised that I was able to put a decent amount of shots in a 2" bull. Besides my sister's ex-bf taking me out shooting for an afternoon a few years ago, I hadn't shot a rifle since boy scout camp when I was a kid. It was as fun today as it was then.;)

I just have a question about cleaning the bolt carrier. I used a wheeler nylon brush, patches, and hoppe's elite cleaner but couldn't get rear bottom edge clean no matter how many times I tried and was wondering if I would do any damage scraping at it with a pick? Could anyone suggest a better cleaner maybe? TIA

boombotz401
04-21-16, 17:59
I'm not sure which bottom edge your talking about but you don't have to get every nook sparkling

I break it down once in a while and give it a good soak in mpo7 and wipe it down good, I'll use some qtips in the funky places.

If your referring to the carbon on the bottom of the bolt you can try the Otis bone tool.

I hear it's pretty good for scraping off carbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint
04-21-16, 18:49
Welcome!

ARs can work just fine with much less cleaning than commonly thought, but they do need periodic lubrication.

All that is really required to maintain the BCG is a quick disasembly, wipe down, reassembly and re-lube.

Professor Gascan
04-21-16, 19:05
Sorry about the vague description. I should have said the bottom of cylindrical cavity the bolt rides in, from about the 5 to 7 o'clock position. The bolt itself came clean fairly easy, as well as the exterior of the bcg, upper, and chamber/barrel.

I have the bolt carrier propped up with clp covering the spot that won't come clean, just going to let it soak in something that won't evaporate overnight and I'll try scrubbing it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the bone tool, just watched a vid demo of it and it looks pretty handy.

boombotz401
04-21-16, 19:07
No worries, that carbon on the bolt near the gas rings isn't something to worry about much, but the bone tool will take it right off.

I may grab one someday if I see a good deal

556BlackRifle
04-21-16, 19:44
Welcome! If it's carbon buildup on the back of the bolt, it takes quite a few rounds to build up to the point where it needs cleaning so at this point, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think it's always a good idea to clean and lube your new AR before you shoot it for the first time as there could be crud from the manufacturing process, test fires or the lube may break down / gum up if the rifle has been sitting long enough.
Shoot, Enjoy & Repeat often!

Professor Gascan
04-21-16, 20:00
Thanks guys. I did give it a good clean after I put the lower together. Another thing I noticed cleaning today after shooting there were small brass flakes on the bolt face, lugs, and chamber. Is that normal or something to worry about?

556BlackRifle
04-21-16, 20:04
Thanks guys. I did give it a good clean after I put the lower together. Another thing I noticed cleaning today after shooting there were small brass flakes on the bolt face, lugs, and chamber. Is that normal or something to worry about?

Normal. Nothing to worry about.

Professor Gascan
04-21-16, 20:13
Cool, thanks.

boombotz401
04-21-16, 20:17
The AR system is very forgiving provided it's properly lubed

You'll see some deposits and brass on the bolt face, the AR system literally "shits where it eats" blowing gas back into the upper to cycle the Bcg.

Because of this it will get dirty and get some carbon buildup in the upper area, however aslong as its lubed with a decent oil...not garbage like remoil...it will continue to run without issue.

There's all kinds of torture tests out there showing off the reliability, i saw one guy lube up his bolt with peanut butter and fluff and ran 3 mags lol

Quick wipe down and change out any parts that wear and it'll serve you well for decades if not your lifetime, I'd even argue middy gas systems are more reliable imho

titsonritz
04-21-16, 20:18
Basic AR15 cleaning (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?35490-Basic-AR15-cleaning)

Check out the stickies here:

New to Firearms & Shooting (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?173-New-to-Firearms-amp-Shooting)

hotrodder636
04-21-16, 20:37
The C.A.T M4 used this way works pretty well. But as others have said, you have to shoot quite a bit before you need to "scrape" this way.

boombotz401
04-21-16, 20:45
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a failure due to carbon on the bolt?

I've never even scraped the carbon off and have bcg's with well over 6k through them

MegademiC
04-22-16, 08:48
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a failure due to carbon on the bolt?

I've never even scraped the carbon off and have bcg's with well over 6k through them

I used to scrape them. Now I soak it, wipe it and call it good.

Jpoe88
04-22-16, 11:08
You're supposed to clean it?:blink:

etnugent
07-16-16, 19:14
I used to scrape them. Now I soak it, wipe it and call it good.

Out of curiosity (and apologies if this was stated earlier or in a previous post) what do you soak it in?
Thanks!