PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a drop in rail

Jpoe88
04-22-16, 07:52
The slim handguard are cool, but looking for a drop in carbine length keymod/slimmer setup. Possibly adding a light and VFG. I've found some used RAS online for 50-60. Opinions?

FamilyMan
04-22-16, 08:19
I am looking at the new MI Gen 3 Mlok rails, they also have keymod versions. They look to be light and slimmer than most. Hth

HeruMew
04-22-16, 08:23
While not keymod, a viable and sturdy option is the Magpul MOE-SL. One of the only M-Lok under 150 that will fit on an adams arms. Ive banged it around, used my vfg as a barrier stop. It has held together amazingly. Moe-sl $35-$40, rail segmemts avg $10 a peice.

Just a cheap, pretty efective alternative if you're like me and wanted something better than stock, but not quite break the bank on a highend freefloat yet.

Jpoe88
04-22-16, 08:33
While not keymod, a viable and sturdy option is the Magpul MOE-SL. One of the only M-Lok under 150 that will fit on an adams arms. Ive banged it around, used my vfg as a barrier stop. It has held together amazingly. Moe-sl $35-$40, rail segmemts avg $10 a peice.

Just a cheap, pretty efective alternative if you're like me and wanted something better than stock, but not quite break the bank on a highend freefloat yet.

I'll check it out. This rifle won't get free floated. Probably ever. That's a whole different story. Once it's done, I'll post it up in custom builds.

masakari
04-22-16, 08:42
As stated, the MOE-SL handguard rocks. If you want slim KeyMod though, check out the B5 drop in handguard.

Jpoe88
04-22-16, 10:26
As stated, the MOE-SL handguard rocks. If you want slim KeyMod though, check out the B5 drop in handguard.

I do like the B5. is the super slim UTG just utter shit? I know, I know, UTG, but a drop in handguard, how bad could it be messed up? Crawled across it earlier.

Cmm46
04-22-16, 10:30
Ive had 3 MI rails (quad rail versions) and really liked them. They have keymod and m-lok.

SomeOtherGuy
04-22-16, 10:40

Agree 100%. Magpul MOE or MOE-SL handguards will do exactly what you want for not much money, and if you would rather have Keymod, B5 is an option. You don't need picatinny rails or sections for a light and VFG.

I do like the B5. is the super slim UTG just utter shit? I know, I know, UTG, but a drop in handguard, how bad could it be messed up? Crawled across it earlier.

UTG has improved in recent years and I don't think it's as bad as your word choice, but I also don't think anyone here is going to enthusiastically recommend it. If you just have to have a metal drop-in, give it a try.

Jpoe88
04-22-16, 11:06
Typing UTG here should invoke a 3 day suspension.

nah, I have one of their buffer tubes on the rifle now. I don't care for the finish, but its getting me shooting until I have decided on the stock setup. It'll go on the deer rifle along with the ebay stock.

I do like the MI stuff. I guess the polymer will save weight over the metal stuff as well.

Professor Gascan
04-22-16, 11:45
I use the B5 keymod on my ar. It's light, has a heatshield, and fits in my small carny hands.

jackblack73
04-22-16, 11:47
I am looking at the new MI Gen 3 Mlok rails, they also have keymod versions. They look to be light and slimmer than most. Hth

I have a gen 3 MI rail and really like it. Not drop in though.

titsonritz
04-22-16, 12:45
If you are not in a major hurry wait for the new BCM KeyMod hand guard to come out. Paul said they should be available in spring so I would think anytime now.

Personally If I was looking for a drop-in rail I'd go with a DD Omega, it is also FF.

jackblack73
04-22-16, 13:31
I guess the polymer will save weight over the metal stuff as well.

Not necessarily. Most of the nicer rails are pretty light.

Uprange41
04-22-16, 13:44
If all you want is to add a light and VFG, literally any handguard on the planet will work. Even the factory plastic. IWC makes a light mount for a standard handguards, and GG&G makes a rail piece for the bottom.

Renegade04
04-22-16, 13:44

I second this motion. It is hard to go wrong with the MI drop-in handguards.

wanderson
04-22-16, 14:22
I just put a B5 on my BCM midlength. Wanted to go with the slim Magpul but not compatible with the triangle caps, and I've heard it involves cutting the sling loop.
It's REALLY slim, looks good on a pencil profile barrel, but doesn't manage heat as well as the std. guards or the regular Magpul guard (which I'm running on a carbine). The heat shield is a good fit for a pencil profile barrel but looks like it'd be a TIGHT fit on an HBAR.

I was able to mount a Magpul MOE rail to the bottom of the B5, just dremeled out the top of the rail to match the curve of the B5. I have a Harris bipod w/Larue QD mount so every rifle I own has a rail of some type for the bipod.

I also have a UTG drop in quad rail on another build and a UTG Pro quad rail on my WASR AK. For the money, no complaints. Not the lightest or the slimmest, but they get the job done.

If you have the money Midwest Ind. has the best drop in rails, especially their uber light series that are advertised as being lighter than std. GI handguards.

Jpoe88
04-22-16, 14:58
If you are not in a major hurry wait for the new BCM KeyMod hand guard to come out. Paul said they should be available in spring so I would think anytime now.

Personally If I was looking for a drop-in rail I'd go with a DD Omega, it is also FF.

Free floated drop in? How does that work? Not challenging the possibility, just not as imaginative as some..

titsonritz
04-22-16, 15:28
If you have the money Midwest Ind. has the best drop in rails, especially their uber light series that are advertised as being lighter than std. GI handguards.

That title belongs to DD and KAC

Free floated drop in? How does that work? Not challenging the possibility, just not as imaginative as some..

It uses set screws on the barrel nut under the hand guard slip ring.
Omega Rail (https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/omega-rail-7-0-carbine.html)
Installation (https://danieldefense.com/files/Web/DD-OMEGA_RAIL.pdf)

BCMNick
04-23-16, 04:10
Look into the Midwest Industries #MI-17k . I have the mid length drop in and love it.

C-grunt
04-23-16, 05:12
50 bucks for a RAS is a damn good deal. Might not be the lightest or coolest rails out there but they are damn sure battle proven. I bought a set for my duty rifle and have never had to worry about if I made a poor purchase.

Jpoe88
04-23-16, 10:12
50 bucks for a RAS is a damn good deal. Might not be the lightest or coolest rails out there but they are damn sure battle proven. I bought a set for my duty rifle and have never had to worry about if I made a poor purchase.

I never felt like they were too heavy. Note though, I have seen the MI stuff on Super sale. I'll keep myself posted. May go with the RAS? Alot of good suggestions

Jpoe88
04-25-16, 12:07
Any issues with the GG&G sling thing that mounts to the Fsb that has the small rail for a light?