PDA

View Full Version : Watches of NSW

WillBrink
04-22-16, 09:04
I'm doing a little research into the time pieces used by UDT/SEALs and am trying to fill in the gaps. If anyone knows of a good site, etc please post here. If you were on the teams, if you could give approx dates you were in and what watch was issued, that would help too. If you know anyone from the same, and can ask, that would help too. All the equipment at the National UDT/SEAL Museum, no info on watches worn so I decided to do a little searching being a fan of watches;.

Some rough info I have so far:

Originally, they were issue a Rolex Sub. There's an interesting story of how and when that stopped, which I have posted below (1)

After Rolex it was a G Shock (http://mygshock.com/wiki/Trivia#Origin_of_G-Shocks_being_used_by_Navy_Seals), after that, there's a big gap.

I have been told that there was a short use of the Luminox watch.

And currently they are using Suunto watches I was told.

One issue is, watches actually issued vs watches personally purchased. No doubt, various brands are purchased with their own $, but looking for what's been issued as kit.

It should be note there's a ton of "Navy SEAL" watches out there that was never approved or tested by the Navy nor ever issues to those in NSW. There's also some interesting collaborations, such as the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving Automatic Navy SEALs Watch which was supposedly designed and built with some direct input from some individual SEALs and one of the finest dive watches on the planet, but they are big $$, unlikely to ever be issued. I have heard that JLC had a contract for 4,500 of them but I'm unaware of NSW issuing them, so a tad confused on that one.

(1)

"In 1981, while I was the Diving Officer for UDT-11, I was tasked with
operating the diving locker budget. Needless to say, it was my
responsibility to ensure the budget was used effectively. Unfortuantly the
high costs to repair a damaged Rolex, which by the way, stood up to nearly
impossible treatment, was too high and at that time, and the advent of the
new digital watches was making its name on the Diving Industry.

The Navy rules stated that a "Divers Watch" must have a sweep second
hand", which was elimiated the new digital watches. I placed a phone to
NAVSEA, who made the rules for equipment used in the Navy. I asked the
simple question, "why must an authorized Navy watch have a "Sweep Second
Hand"? I obviously knew the answer, but needed the answer to come from
NAVSEA.

The answer: "TO MEASURE LAPSED TIME". So, I asked another question: IF
that is THE REQUIREMENT for a DIVING WATCH, why not just say that the
watch mush have a means to measure lapsed time, instead of a sweep second
hand?

Problem resolved. I submitted a letter to NAVSEA, the rule was changed,
and I started issuing the Casio G-Shock Watches instead of the Rolex.
Sorry Rolex!

This change enable the diving budget to focus on much needed new diving
equipment and there you have it.

Blame me for being efficient and effective with the UDT/SEAL diving budgets.

When a Casio watch was lost or damaged, the costs to replace was minimum
and compared to the costs to repair a Rolex and the time it took to get
the Rolex back, made all the difference.

By the way, the Casio G-shock watch did more than just measured lapsed
time. Stopwatch, countdown timer..etc"

AP

Lieutenant Commander, USN (Retired)

Navy SEAL" -frogman80

Moose-Knuckle
04-22-16, 13:16
Informative post Will, I've never been a horologist but I've been a fan of G-SHOCKs since forever. Had a Timex Ironman years ago that went Tango Uniform and made the switch to Casio ever since.

carolvs
04-22-16, 14:57
Just git a Resco:

http://rescoinstruments.com/

SteyrAUG
04-22-16, 17:56
Didn't they also use a Tudor Sub for a time?

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/us-navy-seal-submariner-seal-team-one.html

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1180233488/USN+Vietnam+Tudor+Submariner

HKGuns
04-22-16, 18:59
Just git a Resco:

Pretty certain he is asking a question for information, not looking for watch recommendations.

Sorry, I can't help you Mr. Brink.

Firefly
04-22-16, 19:33
I have a question:

I read/heard that Navy SEALs got their Rolex watches from the PX. To be fair, you can get a lot of things from a PX. Like a VCR when they were like new.

But these guys were Enlisted or Junior Officers. Were Rolex watches cheaper? Did they get a stipend? Did Rolex just give them a good military discount?

I've always wondered.

jstalford
04-22-16, 19:51
They did use to be cheaper but still a large chunk of change for the time.

https://www.facebook.com/iflwatches/videos/1148148238550440/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
04-22-16, 20:06
That link was pretty heartwarming.
It's not so crazy to blow a months pay on something when you're young but man, that clip.

krisjon
04-22-16, 20:38
Pretty certain he is asking a question for information, not looking for watch recommendations.

Sorry, I can't help you Mr. Brink.

Actually, RESCO is what most of the Team Guys (on the West Coast, at least) I know are running these days. Smitty makes a damn good watch.

SteyrAUG
04-22-16, 20:42
That link was pretty heartwarming.
It's not so crazy to blow a months pay on something when you're young but man, that clip.

Off topic but...

On 10 March 1943 corporal Clive James Nutting, one of the organizers of the Great Escape, ordered a stainless steel Rolex Oyster 3525 Chronograph valued at a current equivalent of £1200 by mail directly from Hans Wilsdorf in Geneva, intending to pay for it with money he saved working as a shoemaker at the camp. The watch, (Rolex watch no. 185983), was delivered to Stalag Luft III on 4 August along with a note from Wilsdorf apologizing for any delay in processing the order and explaining that an English gentleman such as corporal Nutting "should not even think" about paying for the watch before the end of the war. Rolex had initially extended this wartime offer to all British officers prisoners of war and Hans Wilsdorf, who believed that a British officer's word was his contract, was in charge of the program.

As an example, an estimated 3,000 Rolex watches were ordered by British officers in the Oflag (prison camp for officers) VII B pow camp in Bavaria. This offer had the effect of raising the morale among the allied prisoners of war because it indicated that Wilsdorf did not believe that the Nazis would win the war. Wilsdorf is reported to have been impressed with Nutting, because although not an officer, he had ordered the expensive Rolex 3525 Oyster chronograph while most other prisoners ordered the much cheaper Speed King model which was popular due to its small size. The watch is believed to have been ordered specifically to be used in the Great Escape, where as a chronograph it could have been used to time patrols of prison guards or time the 76 escapers through tunnel "Harry" on 24 March, 1944.

Eventually, after the war, Nutting was sent an invoice of only £15 for the watch, due to currency export controls in England at the time. The watch and associated correspondence between Wilsdorf and Nutting were sold at auction for £66,000 in May 2007 while at an earlier auction on September 2006 the same watch fetched 54,000 AUSD. Nutting served as a consultant for both the 1950 film The Wooden Horse and the 1963 film The Great Escape. Both films were based on actual escapes which took place at Stalag Luft III.

elephant
04-23-16, 00:32
I would say that I am a watch expert, maybe not on the watches seals used but I do have a impressive collection and have a lot of knowledge on movements, calibers, reference numbers, company history and complications.

I'm not 100% sure, but I heard that the Rolex Submariner "Pepsi dial" (red/blue) was only given only to officers, not every seal got a Rolex.

The Rolex Submariner was a "Mans watch". The first of its kind, it was introduced in 1953 and it wasn't until 2007 that it was officially "Certified Chronometer". Everyone had one including James Dean, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, James Bond, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Yasser Arafat, Muammar Gaddafi, Saddam Hussein and Vladimir Putin.

In 2010, Jaeger Lecoultre was awarded a small contract of 4500 "Master Compressor" watches to the Seals, those watches were $6,800 each. They made a small limited edition (5000) for consumer market for $7500 (Some of those special editions can still be bought new at Jaeger boutiques) It was there largest production run of any watch model. They do not make Rolex look cheap. Jaeger is not known for dive watches, and $6800 is cheap for a Jaeger or Rolex. They are known for there "reversal" watches. The Master Compressor were simple single compilations with rotating bezel with double sealed crown and rubber strap. The Rolex Deapsea is a much better watch.

The early frogmen in the early 50's to the early 60's would have worn a US Navy Issued Rolex Submariner, ref. #5508 or Blancpain Fifty Fathoms both equipped with a black nylon adjustable Velcro strap. The post WW2 Italian frogmen, were founded in 1952 and trained with US divers, they wore Panerai with black nylon adjustable Velcro straps. The reason for Velcro was because the early diving gloves were made into the diving suit and it was easier to put the watch on with gloves. Before Panerai, there was no automatic "diving watch" that was water resisting up to 10 meters let alone 100 meters. The first Panerai models didn't have a rotating dive bezel for intervals and that is why the US navy did not adapt them for use. Both of those watches back in 1955 cost around $200, considering the average yearly salary for an American was $3,031 and a new Ford cost $1600, they were the most expensive watches in the day besides Patek and Cartier.

Resco was founded in 2009, yet they have old black and white pictures of frogmen on there website. They do NOT make there own movement but use either a Swiss Val 24 or Eta 2824 movement, same movement found in some U-boat and Bell&Ross watches. Resco designed a watch around the timeless designs of both Blancpain and Rolex but in 44mm and larger lug. I don't know if the US Navy is buying these watches and issuing these to seals or not, I know Chris Kyle and Marcus Luttrell owned one but Chris stated in his book that the "seal" watch was once a Rolex but the new guys were given Casio G-Shock watches, from the way he wrote the section, one would think he was showing us his disappointment for not getting a Rolex. However, there are a lot more seals today then 20 years ago and the seals today are engaged in a different role then 20 years ago. I don't think the US Navy wants to invest in a $8500 Rolex Submariner just to get broke, lost, damaged or "disappear".

Edited:
In 2014, the US Navy awarded Audemars Piguet a contract for 68 42mm Royal Oak Offshore Carbon models, those watches cost $38,400 each. I was told at AP in Miami that those specific watches were certified to 1000 meters and had a 10 day power reserve. I don't know if those watches went to seals or not, but for the life of me, I don't know who the Navy would buy $40k watches for.

SteyrAUG
04-23-16, 01:15
I would say that I am a watch expert, maybe not on the watches seals used but I do have a impressive collection and have a lot of knowledge on movements, calibers, reference numbers, company history and complications.

I'm not 100% sure, but I heard that the Rolex Submariner "Pepsi dial" (red/blue) was only given only to officers, not every seal got a Rolex.

Subs had black bezels, except for the anniversary Kermit sub. GMTs had Pepsi, Coke or Root Beer bezels. I've never even heard of a "red/blue" dial/face.

The Rolex Submariner was a "Mans watch". The first of its kind, it was introduced in 1953 and it wasn't until 2007 that it was officially "Certified Chronometer".

Hoping that's a typo. My father had a red letter Sub from the early 70s and it absolutely was marked "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified."

http://luxurytyme.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/red-sub-red-background3.jpg

elephant
04-23-16, 01:45
Subs had black bezels, except for the anniversary Kermit sub. GMTs had Pepsi, Coke or Root Beer bezels. I've never even heard of a "red/blue" dial/face.

Hoping that's a typo. My father had a red letter Sub from the early 70s and it absolutely was marked "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified."

http://luxurytyme.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/red-sub-red-background3.jpg

I own a 1955 Pepsi bezel submariner with black nylon strap as well as a early 2000's Pepsi bezel GMT Master II. Jacques Cousteau had a lot of input with the design of the Submariner, he chose red and blue because they are the easiest to distinguish under water. That's also why a lot of scuba equipment is those colors. I was referring to the frogmen of the 50's and 60's who got Rolex Subs, not the new 1990's-2000's Seals.

I was referring to the new Chronometer standards set in 2005. Superlative Chronometer was introduced in 1976 when the ISO 3159 standards were implemented and they didn't have to test each watch. The standards today are individually tested for 14 days and nights, in 5 positions and at 3 temperatures. Each movement is individually measured. To earn the title of 'chronometer' a watch must meet the criteria in ISO 3159-2009. Any watch with the denomination "chronometer" is provided with a certified movement. Today that have to test for oscillation, vibration, anti-magnetism and radio energy. http://www.iso.org/iso/home/store/catalogue_ics/catalogue_ics_browse.htm?ICS1=39&ICS2=040&ICS3=10&

Its kind of funny but if you buy a nice watch today, just think, its relatively used and been through a torture test for almost 1/2 month. Even thought it was done in a lab, to me its like buying a new SUV with 1000 miles worth of off-road and mud use.

Hmac
04-23-16, 07:40
The Rolex Submariner was a "Mans watch". The first of its kind, it was introduced in 1953 and it wasn't until 2007 that it was officially "Certified Chronometer".
This is my old Red Letter Sub that I got in 1974. What a great old watch it's been. I had it restored a couple of years ago, since this picture, but at least as of 1974, they were certified chronometers.
http://SSEquine.net/rolex red sub.jpg
http://SSEquine.net/rolexsubmariner.jpg[/QUOTE]

WillBrink
04-23-16, 10:48
Just git a Resco:

Not asking for advice on a watch to buy. I'm looking for intel on watches actually issued.

Didn't they also use a Tudor Sub for a time?

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/us-navy-seal-submariner-seal-team-one.html

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1180233488/USN+Vietnam+Tudor+Submariner

Hard to tell from those links. Wouldn't surprise me due to the $$ saved, buy I have not seen mention of them replacing the Rolex (the Tudor being a Rolex product minus the Rolex movement) as issued watches.

Actually, RESCO is what most of the Team Guys (on the West Coast, at least) I know are running these days. Smitty makes a damn good watch.

From their own $ or as issued kit? I'm assuming the former, but that's what I'm trying to track down. No doubt, they purchase and use all manner of brands. I'm looking at what has been issued to them. Perhaps it was a group purchase for a west coast team? From the web site:

"Founded in 2009, Resco Instruments set out to build a sleek, simple and rugged timepiece. This vision was realized with the production of the Gen1 Patriot model which now graces the wrists of over 100 active duty US Navy SEALs. Our watches are built and tested in Coronado California. The Patriot line is the only watch that has been field tested through every phase of NSW training by actual operators providing feedback and design input. The result is one very rugged timepiece worn by more actual SEALs than any other watch claiming to be the "Official Watch". While there is no official watch of the US Navy SEALs, if there ever were one, the Resco Patriot is it."

Per OP, I'm fairly sure they were issued to all UDT/SEALs for a time. It may have changed to officers only at some point to save $, I don't know. Whether the Pepsi was officer only, again, not sure.

In 2010, Jaeger Lecoultre was awarded a small contract of 4500 "Master Compressor" watches to the Seals, those watches were $6,800 each. They made a small limited edition (5000) for consumer market for $7500 (Some of those special editions can still be bought new at Jaeger boutiques) It was there largest production run of any watch model. They do not make Rolex look cheap.

Do you have a source on that one? I'd like to read/reference that. I have not heard of any SEALs being given a JLC Master Compresso and 4500 would cover every SEAL X2 over give or take a few.

Jaeger is not known for dive watches, and $6800 is cheap for a Jaeger or Rolex. They are known for there "reversal" watches. The Master Compressor were simple single compilations with rotating bezel with double sealed crown and rubber strap. The Rolex Deapsea is a much better watch.

I was over generalizing. It depends on the model of Master Compressor vs typical Sub. Which Master Compressor did they get the contract for? I'd take a Master Compressor over the Deapsea any day, but I'm biased as I own the original. We are talking Sub vs Deapsea, and "much better" would not seem to be supported by many. Most on the watch forums I frequent would choose the JLC:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/rolex-seadweller-vs-jlc-master-compressor-diving-crono-625024.html

Personally, I don't like the SEAL version and prefer the original to be sure. I think the Deapsea is bloated clunker and not comfortable to wear at all, and didn't interest me. Bit apples ad oranges to me, but obviously you couldn't go wrong with a Deapsea as a rugged tool built diver.

The early frogmen in the early 50's to the early 60's would have worn a US Navy Issued Rolex Submariner, ref. #5508 or Blancpain Fifty Fathoms both equipped with a black nylon adjustable Velcro strap. The post WW2 Italian frogmen, were founded in 1952 and trained with US divers, they wore Panerai with black nylon adjustable Velcro straps. The reason for Velcro was because the early diving gloves were made into the diving suit and it was easier to put the watch on with gloves. Before Panerai, there was no automatic "diving watch" that was water resisting up to 10 meters let alone 100 meters. The first Panerai models didn't have a rotating dive bezel for intervals and that is why the US navy did not adapt them for use. Both of those watches back in 1955 cost around $200, considering the average yearly salary for an American was $3,031 and a new Ford cost $1600, they were the most expensive watches in the day besides Patek and Cartier.

Resco was founded in 2009, yet they have old black and white pictures of frogmen on there website. They do NOT make there own movement but use either a Swiss Val 24 or Eta 2824 movement, same movement found in some U-boat and Bell&Ross watches. Resco designed a watch around the timeless designs of both Blancpain and Rolex but in 44mm and larger lug. I don't know if the US Navy is buying these watches and issuing these to seals or not, I know Chris Kyle and Marcus Luttrell owned one but Chris stated in his book that the "seal" watch was once a Rolex but the new guys were given Casio G-Shock watches, from the way he wrote the section, one would think he was showing us his disappointment for not getting a Rolex. However, there are a lot more seals today then 20 years ago and the seals today are engaged in a different role then 20 years ago. I don't think the US Navy wants to invest in a $8500 Rolex Submariner just to get broke, lost, damaged or "disappear".

Good intel thanx. If you have a source on the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms? I have not heard they were issued along with Rolex subs.

Edited:
In 2014, the US Navy awarded Audemars Piguet a contract for 68 42mm Royal Oak Offshore Carbon models, those watches cost $38,400 each. I was told at AP in Miami that those specific watches were certified to 1000 meters and had a 10 day power reserve. I don't know if those watches went to seals or not, but for the life of me, I don't know who the Navy would buy $40k watches for.

Hmmm, sounds like persona presents to officers.... ;)

SteyrAUG
04-23-16, 13:03
Hard to tell from those links. Wouldn't surprise me due to the $$ saved, buy I have not seen mention of them replacing the Rolex (the Tudor being a Rolex product minus the Rolex movement) as issued watches.

In my experience it is common for many people to refer to a Tudor as a Rolex. So you could have guys getting Tudor Subs and calling them Rolex.

SteyrAUG
04-23-16, 13:06
I own a 1955 Pepsi bezel submariner with black nylon strap

Would love to see that, I've never seen them referenced anywhere.

WillBrink
04-23-16, 13:12
In my experience it is common for many people to refer to a Tudor as a Rolex. So you could have guys getting Tudor Subs and calling them Rolex.

They were definitely Rolex Subs issued, but whether Tudor was in the mix and just referred to as Rolex's too, I don't know.

Firefly
04-23-16, 13:16
Another question:
What about Suunto?

I've not been diving in a couple years (sadly) but was really into it. I knew a guy from another dept who was a Navy Diver, not a SEAL, but just a normal diver (whatever that means, like I dunno. He said he fixed stuff or welded). Yeah I know, very tertiary info, but he swore by Suunto dive watches.

Suunto gets a lot of polarizing opinions and I'm not a horologist (which is a fun word to say), but he swore by it and I had one and it worked great for what it was. It was just a Dive Watch. Not a Core or that other one (Venture?). Pricey at the time but not like crazily so.

But anytime I have ever brought up Suunto at least one person acts like the Suunto people personally sent goons to their house to beat up their parents and shoot their dog.

Just curious.

WillBrink
04-23-16, 13:19
Another question:
What about Suunto?

I've not been diving in a couple years (sadly) but was really into it. I knew a guy from another dept who was a Navy Diver, not a SEAL, but just a normal diver (whatever that means, like I dunno. He said he fixed stuff or welded). Yeah I know, very tertiary info, but he swore by Suunto dive watches.

Suunto gets a lot of polarizing opinions and I'm not a horologist (which is a fun word to say), but he swore by it and I had one and it worked great for what it was. It was just a Dive Watch. Not a Core or that other one (Venture?). Pricey at the time but not like crazily so.

But anytime I have ever brought up Suunto at least one person acts like the Suunto people personally sent goons to their house to beat up their parents and shoot their dog.

Just curious.

Per the OP, I was told Sunnto is the current watch being worn by most. Again, needs additional confirmation.

krisjon
04-23-16, 13:32
From their own $ or as issued kit? I'm assuming the former, but that's what I'm trying to track down. No doubt, they purchase and use all manner of brands. I'm looking at what has been issued to them. Perhaps it was a group purchase for a west coast team? From the web site:

"Founded in 2009, Resco Instruments set out to build a sleek, simple and rugged timepiece. This vision was realized with the production of the Gen1 Patriot model which now graces the wrists of over 100 active duty US Navy SEALs. Our watches are built and tested in Coronado California. The Patriot line is the only watch that has been field tested through every phase of NSW training by actual operators providing feedback and design input. The result is one very rugged timepiece worn by more actual SEALs than any other watch claiming to be the "Official Watch". While there is no official watch of the US Navy SEALs, if there ever were one, the Resco Patriot is it."

I will ask for you. Some of my friends are currently out training, but they'll be back soon.

Firefly
04-23-16, 13:35
Per the OP, I was told Sunnto is the current watch being worn by most. Again, needs additional confirmation.

Ah, I see. I did not reread. My apologies.
But to clarify, I called it a watch but it was really a "computer". Depth, air, etc.

FWIW I'm curious too just because I want to get back into diving again.

WillBrink
04-23-16, 13:49
Ah, I see. I did not reread. My apologies.
But to clarify, I called it a watch but it was really a "computer". Depth, air, etc.

FWIW I'm curious too just because I want to get back into diving again.

I don't have any experience with them and not a fan of digital watches personally, so can't comment on that score.

MountainRaven
04-23-16, 17:14
LAV is pretty down on Suuntos, but I've seen Travis Haley and Caylen Wojcik wearing them, so they can't all be bad.

elephant
04-23-16, 22:27
Brief history on the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
https://monochrome-watches.com/watchtime-wednesday-history-blancpain-fifty-fathoms/
In the early days of navy diving, there wasn't many choices. It wasn't until the mid 50's the Submariner showed up.

The Jaeger Master Compressor, for some reason I believe they were not issued to just seals, if I remember the story (per Jaeger boutique in Miami), a lot of officers in the Navy got one, they ordered 4500. I believe it was Seal inspired dive watch and not actually worn by any seal teams as there unit watch. It was the cheapest watch Jaeger offered in there entire product inventory, that's why they sold real fast, Jaegers usually start around $11k. I heard years ago they were offering seals $50-$100k to re enlist, perhaps they added a watch as a bonus on top of a bonus. Either way, The official story might be lost because 4500 $7000 watches floating around the Navy might get congress upset.

As far as the AP Royal Oak Offshore, the total order was 68 pieces. I don't know who received them, but a $40k watch is a lot to give an officer let alone 68 of them. Maybe sub commanders, maybe SOCOM commanders. I don't know, but I kinda bothers me thought. I know that most Saudi Royalty and a lot of Sheiks and Sultans in middle east wear Audemars, Hublot and Breitling. AP, and especially Hublots are considered "ultra luxury" even over Patek or IWC. There is a story about a British SAS sniper who shot someone high up in ISIS outside of Mosul in 2014, the SAS guy noted that the ISIS fighter was wearing a high end AP watch. The SAS sniper kept the watch as a trophy but had to turn the watch over to authorities in late 2015. This incident changed the british governments mind about ISIS fighters being poor people and that there were wealthy fighters in ISIS who might be paying there own way and not answering to a "commander"- which is kind of scary.

As far as the Rolex Deep Sea, I don't own one, but I like heavy watches like Breitling. I feel naked without a heavy watch.

I have a few Rolex's. I own a 1910 Rolex, all original except for the strap. The Pepsi bezel Submariner I have is mechanical meaning you have to wind it up every 12 hours.
Ill post some photos later.

Moose-Knuckle
04-24-16, 02:13
As for Suunto watches . . .

I recall a post in a thread about six years years ago now from a SME concerning footgear:

If you can find a pair of Asolo Echo's, snatch them up. Scour the earth for them. (They have been discontinued by Asolo, for some reason.) They have the support of Fugitive's minus the Gore-tex; much better for warm days on the Pakistan border. FYI - they are the boots de rigueur for Tier One types. If you see muscle-bound men in an airport with Asolo Echo's and a Suunto watch on, they are probably bad mother****ers on their way to go kick random ass somewhere. Don't test that theory by stealing their luggage; it will not end well for you.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?48689-What-boots/page4

This gent was speaking about the Army side of JSOC not NSW.

JC5188
04-24-16, 05:18
https://monochrome-watches.com/watchtime-wednesday-history-blancpain-fifty-fathoms/
In the early days of navy diving, there wasn't many choices. It wasn't until the mid 50's the Submariner showed up.

The Jaeger Master Compressor, for some reason I believe they were not issued to just seals, if I remember the story (per Jaeger boutique in Miami), a lot of officers in the Navy got one, they ordered 4500. I believe it was Seal inspired dive watch and not actually worn by any seal teams as there unit watch. It was the cheapest watch Jaeger offered in there entire product inventory, that's why they sold real fast, Jaegers usually start around $11k. I heard years ago they were offering seals $50-$100k to re enlist, perhaps they added a watch as a bonus on top of a bonus. Either way, The official story might be lost because 4500 $7000 watches floating around the Navy might get congress upset.

As far as the AP Royal Oak Offshore, the total order was 68 pieces. I don't know who received them, but a $40k watch is a lot to give an officer let alone 68 of them. Maybe sub commanders, maybe SOCOM commanders. I don't know, but I kinda bothers me thought. I know that most Saudi Royalty and a lot of Sheiks and Sultans in middle east wear Audemars, Hublot and Breitling. AP, and especially Hublots are considered "ultra luxury" even over Patek or IWC. There is a story about a British SAS sniper who shot someone high up in ISIS outside of Mosul in 2014, the SAS guy noted that the ISIS fighter was wearing a high end AP watch. The SAS sniper kept the watch as a trophy but had to turn the watch over to authorities in late 2015. This incident changed the british governments mind about ISIS fighters being poor people and that there were wealthy fighters in ISIS who might be paying there own way and not answering to a "commander"- which is kind of scary.

As far as the Rolex Deep Sea, I don't own one, but I like heavy watches like Breitling. I feel naked without a heavy watch.

I have a few Rolex's. I own a 1910 Rolex, all original except for the strap. The Pepsi bezel Submariner I have is mechanical meaning you have to wind it up every 12 hours.

I'd like to see the Pepsi sub also. I've seen the GMT's, never a sub.

sniperfrog
04-24-16, 05:48
Back in the early 90s, east coast Teams issued Seiko dive watches. I don't know which model but it had that auto wind feature. Nobody actually used it for diving. Everyone bought either G-shocks or Timex Ironmans. The G-shock eventually got issued sometime in the mid-nineties.
The only guys I knew that got Rolex watches were ST6 guys back in the early 80s. That's when Marcinko was spending money like crazy on gear.
I believe some Teams are issuing Suuntos now. Each Team usually buys what they want and they're not all using the same thing.

Funny story: back in the early 90s, Buck knives approached ST8 and asked them if they wanted free Buck Master survival knives. That was that big honking knife with hollow handle and grappling hook attachments. A completely worthless knife for anything other than opening MREs. Of course, no one will turn down free stuff so they took them. A short while later Buck came out saying the Buckmaster was the official SEAL knife.

WillBrink
04-24-16, 07:53

Thanx for the link. Interesting read. It sounds like there may have been a limited number among US forces. How many and for how long is vague:

"The “Fifty Fathoms” proved to be reliable and robust, and several other naval forces equipped their divers with the Blancpain model, including the Israeli, Spanish, German and American special forces. Even Jacques Cousteau and director Louis Malle used the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms during the shooting of “Le Monde du Silence” (The World of Silence), the 1957 award-winning underwater movie."

The Jaeger Master Compressor, for some reason I believe they were not issued to just seals, if I remember the story (per Jaeger boutique in Miami), a lot of officers in the Navy got one, they ordered 4500. I believe it was Seal inspired dive watch and not actually worn by any seal teams as there unit watch.

Why does that not surprise me? :blink:

It was the cheapest watch Jaeger offered in there entire product inventory, that's why they sold real fast, Jaegers usually start around $11k. I heard years ago they were offering seals $50-$100k to re enlist, perhaps they added a watch as a bonus on top of a bonus. Either way, The official story might be lost because 4500 $7000 watches floating around the Navy might get congress upset.

Interesting! People not into watches rarely appreciate the back story and history they often play. It does not surprise me that Sheiks and Sultans in middle east wear fugly Audemars and Hublot - the largest most diamond encrusted versions no doubt - over say Patek not being known for their appreciation of under statement and subtlety.

That's why they have horse racing: choices. Breitling is probably my least favorite watch brand. I do life the heft of a well made watch, but it's more how that Rolex wears. I have had three Rolex's, a Sub, a GMT, and a Yacht Master. They all wore well and were comfortable. I have small wrists and the Deep Sea feels and looks bad on me. There's no doubt it's a hella tough tool dive watch. I will say, the Ti case and articulated rubber band of the JLC wears great and looks great. It takes some getting used to that it's that size yet so light.

Please do.

WillBrink
04-24-16, 08:04
Back in the early 90s, east coast Teams issued Seiko dive watches. I don't know which model but it had that auto wind feature. Nobody actually used it for diving. Everyone bought either G-shocks or Timex Ironmans. The G-shock eventually got issued sometime in the mid-nineties.
The only guys I knew that got Rolex watches were ST6 guys back in the early 80s. That's when Marcinko was spending money like crazy on gear.
I believe some Teams are issuing Suuntos now. Each Team usually buys what they want and they're not all using the same thing.

Makes sense. As part of discretionary budgets?

Funny story: back in the early 90s, Buck knives approached ST8 and asked them if they wanted free Buck Master survival knives. That was that big honking knife with hollow handle and grappling hook attachments. A completely worthless knife for anything other than opening MREs. Of course, no one will turn down free stuff so they took them. A short while later Buck came out saying the Buckmaster was the official SEAL knife.

Actually the story I was told at the museum is a little different, but as an inside LOL, that very knife is on display with legit knives used by NSW, and of course the goofy thing gets the most attention among the knives. If I remember, I'll take a pic of the display with the Buck Master in it and post.

sniperfrog
04-24-16, 12:24
Makes sense. As part of discretionary budgets

Actually the story I was told at the museum is a little different, but as an inside LOL, that very knife is on display with legit knives used by NSW, and of course the goofy thing gets the most attention among the knives. If I remember, I'll take a pic of the display with the Buck Master in it and post.

Teams could use their budget however they needed to. Each Team bought whatever gear they liked. ST2 did a lot of Arctic warfare and so they bought a lot of cold weather and mountaineering gear. ST4 did jungle stuff so they bought gear appropriate for that.

I was told the story by ST8 guys when they got them in. I knew one guy that actually carried the Buck master.
ST2 was issued Cold Steel Recon Tantos for awhile. ST4 got CS kukris. Another Team were issued Glock knives. Most everyone bought their own knife just like watches, boots, LBEs, packs...all that stuff. Guys spent thousands of their own dollars on gear. Everybody likes something different so trying to find one knife or watch that everyone liked was impossible.

SteyrAUG
04-24-16, 12:49

And as insane as it sounds, those Vintage Bucks now regularly sell for more than $1000 each.

sniperfrog
04-24-16, 13:49
And as insane as it sounds, those Vintage Bucks now regularly sell for more than $1000 each.

Who wouldn't want a knife that has a compass, a grappling hook, h2o proof matches, fishing line and hooks, a saw tooth spine, sharpening stone and a non reflective finish so bad guys can't see you using it to scale a cliff.

Firefly
04-24-16, 14:40
Me as a kid: "Aw man that knife looks COOOOOOL. Its like Rambo's knife on steroids!"

Me now: "That knife....how does it even...? *aneurysm*"

JC5188
04-24-16, 14:50
I work with a guy who is in luuuuuv with those knives. Gotta have one.

I don't get it?

WillBrink
04-24-16, 15:59
Teams could use their budget however they needed to. Each Team bought whatever gear they liked. ST2 did a lot of Arctic warfare and so they bought a lot of cold weather and mountaineering gear. ST4 did jungle stuff so they bought gear appropriate for that.

I was told the story by ST8 guys when they got them in. I knew one guy that actually carried the Buck master.
ST2 was issued Cold Steel Recon Tantos for awhile. ST4 got CS kukris. Another Team were issued Glock knives. Most everyone bought their own knife just like watches, boots, LBEs, packs...all that stuff. Guys spent thousands of their own dollars on gear. Everybody likes something different so trying to find one knife or watch that everyone liked was impossible.

Here's the Buck Master at the museum I took today:

Averageman
04-24-16, 16:01
I can genuinely trash a nice watch at work the first day I wear it, this has brought me to love a Casio. The only problem I have is that the bands end up smelling like a stinky foot in about a weak.
I have been woken up out of a dead sleep by getting my Casio watchband too close to my face in the past. When I'm CONUS I depend on my phone most of the time.
I remember one of my least favorite guys in the Platoon having to have one of those huge Buck Master knives.
Being that we were on tanks that might have been the stupidest waste of time, weight and money I have ever seen attatched to some LBE. I laughed like a hyena when he showed up at chow and discovered he had a nice sheath and no knife.

elephant
04-24-16, 16:13
Its true, You can wear a Rolex Submariner with a tuxedo, space suit, scuba wet suit, tactical gear or even naked and it looks good. Its classic and timeless.

When talking about sheiks wearing ugly Hublots and diamond encrusted AP's, these are the same people that drive chrome plated Lamborghinis with Cheetahs wearing Louis Vuitton collars in the passenger seat- if you want to know what "new money" looks like, look no further.

You should look in to Zodiac dive watches. Some of the best for diving.

WillBrink
04-24-16, 16:21
I can genuinely trash a nice watch at work the first day I wear it, this has brought me to love a Casio. The only problem I have is that the bands end up smelling like a stinky foot in about a weak.
I have been woken up out of a dead sleep by getting my Casio watchband too close to my face in the past. When I'm CONUS I depend on my phone most of the time.

A legit built tool grade watch like the Rolex, per the OP, "stood up to nearly impossible treatment" by UDT/SEALs but you'll pay for it. Many claim they make a true tool grade watche, not many really are. But, it's hard to argue with modern production that one can just replace a watch for little $$ when they trash it compared to the cost of a legit tool grade watch, hence why Rolex was dropped an G Shock took it's place followed by others that cost little to replace. It sounds like decent mechanical watches have made something of a comeback with some in SOF, as they have with the rest of the world. That makes me happy as a good watch is a simple pleasure.

I remember one of my least favorite guys in the Platoon having to have one of those huge Buck Master knives.
Being that we were on tanks that might have been the stupidest waste of time, weight and money I have ever seen attatched to some LBE. I laughed like a hyena when he showed up at chow and discovered he had a nice sheath and no knife.

From what others are saying, worth some $ now!

elephant
04-24-16, 16:24
Who wouldn't want a knife that has a compass, a grappling hook, h2o proof matches, fishing line and hooks, a saw tooth spine, sharpening stone and a non reflective finish so bad guys can't see you using it to scale a cliff.

the "first" multi tool

sniperfrog
04-24-16, 17:04
A legit built tool grade watch like the Rolex, per the OP, "stood up to nearly impossible treatment" by UDT/SEALs but you'll pay for it. Many claim they make a true tool grade watche, not many really are. But, it's hard to argue with modern production that one can just replace a watch for little $$ when they trash it compared to the cost of a legit tool grade watch, hence why Rolex was dropped an G Shock took it's place followed by others that cost little to replace. It sounds like decent mechanical watches have made something of a comeback with some in SOF, as they have with the rest of the world. That makes me happy as a good watch is a simple pleasure.

From what others are saying, worth some $ now!

The reason that the Teams switched to digital watches like the G shock is because when doing combat dives such as ship attacks, everything is mapped out in time/distance. You have to swim a specific pace (which takes practice on a pace line) so you can plan your route by timed legs. Keeping time on an analog watch was kind of a pain in the ass. However, the Navy dive rules said you had to use an analog watch for diving. It took awhile to get that changed for the SEAL Teams. Everyone used digital watches even when they weren't really supposed to.

But yeah, cost is another reason. The Seikos that were issued were decent and cost around $300 at the time. G-shocks were about $60. No one used the Seikos so everyone had to buy a suitable watch themselves.

I liked the Ironman but they weren't as durable. I had one freeze up in Alaska. It was always 0930 until I bought a new one.

SteyrAUG
04-24-16, 17:09
Here's the Buck Master at the museum I took today:

I was always dreadfully afraid of those as a fighting knife. Something about reversed metal horns pointed back at you always kept me from actually ordering one when I was a kid.

WillBrink
04-24-16, 17:26
The reason that the Teams switched to digital watches like the G shock is because when doing combat dives such as ship attacks, everything is mapped out in time/distance. You have to swim a specific pace (which takes practice on a pace line) so you can plan your route by timed legs. Keeping time on an analog watch was kind of a pain in the ass. However, the Navy dive rules said you had to use an analog watch for diving. It took awhile to get that changed for the SEAL Teams. Everyone used digital watches even when they weren't really supposed to.

But yeah, cost is another reason. The Seikos that were issued were decent and cost around $300 at the time. G-shocks were about $60. No one used the Seikos so everyone had to buy a suitable watch themselves.

I liked the Ironman but they weren't as durable. I had one freeze up in Alaska. It was always 0930 until I bought a new one.

The write up in the OP may be additive to how that came to be. It originally came from Commander Mark Divine's site. It may have already been in process and he simply put nail in coffin for the Rolex officially. I was using that as source for the change over, but you have added another interesting wrinkle to the story.

Do you recall the model of the Seikos? In that price range, Monster perhaps?

WillBrink
04-24-16, 17:35
I was always dreadfully afraid of those as a fighting knife. Something about reversed metal horns pointed back at you always kept me from actually ordering one when I was a kid.

The intent of the spikes is not for poking holes in people apparently, but to use as a gaff anchor of sorts I was told. At least at the museum, it's seen as more of a gag item and has a funny story with it on how 600 of them ended up being sent to them to try. Per sniperfrog's comment, it appears some did use them as people like to try different stuff no doubt. I'd be interested to hear from those who did end up using them and how well they fared in feild conditions and if anyone ever used one as a gaff anchor to keep a rubber boat attached to some mangroves ;)

Defaultmp3
04-24-16, 17:50
Its true, You can wear a Rolex Submariner with a tuxedo, space suit, scuba wet suit, tactical gear or even naked and it looks good. Its classic and timeless.Wearing a watch with a black tie outfit is already kinda a faux pas, but a diver? Really? That's beyond the pale, despite what idiots who try to emulate Commander Bond might think. Might as well wear a riggers belt with that outfit.

WillBrink
04-24-16, 18:01
Wearing a watch with a black tie outfit is already kinda a faux pas,but a diver? Really? That's beyond the pale, despite what idiots who try to emulate Commander Bond might think. Might as well wear a riggers belt with that outfit.

Dude, really? A Rolex Sub can be dressed up or dressed down, that's his point, and he's right. Geez.

Defaultmp3
04-24-16, 20:02
Dude, really? A Rolex Sub can be dressed up or dressed down, that's his point, and he's right. Geez.And that's a statement that I would very strongly disagree with. One shouldn't be wearing a watch for the most part to begin with at a black tie event; after all, you're suppose to be enjoying yourself, and not be concerned with the time. A pocket watch is workable, I suppose, as it would not be visible generally, while a dress watch is a stretch; a sports watch is simply out of place. Hell, a diver with informal dress is already pretty out of place; yes, plenty of people like to wear their desk-diving Subs with a suit, but then again, plenty of people install magwell grips on their ARs, too. Sure, Subs are more versatile than, say, a PO, or Tuna Can, or Sinn U1 (I'd certainly agree if one claimed that the Sub is one of the dressiest divers around), but any diver can only be dressed up so far, and suits are almost never in a diver's repertoire, let alone a tuxedo.

SteyrAUG
04-24-16, 20:07
The intent of the spikes is not for poking holes in people apparently, but to use as a gaff anchor of sorts I was told. At least at the museum, it's seen as more of a gag item and has a funny story with it on how 600 of them ended up being sent to them to try. Per sniperfrog's comment, it appears some did use them as people like to try different stuff no doubt. I'd be interested to hear from those who did end up using them and how well they fared in feild conditions and if anyone ever used one as a gaff anchor to keep a rubber boat attached to some mangroves ;)

I understood that part, and I know they were even removable. I'm just saying I'd hate to have to improvise a fighting knife with them in the grappling hood setup. So many ways it could be turned against you it's not even funny.

SteyrAUG
04-24-16, 20:10
And that's a statement that I would very strongly disagree with. One shouldn't be wearing a watch for the most part to begin with at a black tie event; after all, you're suppose to be enjoying yourself, and not be concerned with the time. A pocket watch is workable, I suppose, while a dress watch is a fairly big stretch; a sports watch is simply out of place. Hell, a diver with informal dress is already pretty out of place; yes, plenty of people like to wear their desk-diving Subs with a suit, but then again, plenty of people install magwell grips on their ARs, too. Sure, Subs are more versatile than, say, a PO, or Doxa, or Sinn U1 (I'd certainly agree if one claimed that the Sub is one of the dressiest divers around), but any diver can only be dressed up so far, and suits are almost never in a diver's repertoire, let alone a tuxedo.

And I couldn't more strongly disagree with your disagreement. I've never heard of watched being some kind of faux pas at a black tie event. Who made of that ridiculous rule? And if the premise is that you are supposed to relax and have fun, then who is going to take the time to give a damn about who is wearing a watch and who is not, let alone what kind of watch it is.

That is about the most elitist bunch of nonsense I've ever heard. My next event, I'm gonna wear a Casio calculator watch just for you.

sniperfrog
04-24-16, 20:13
The write up in the OP may be additive to how that came to be. It originally came from Commander Mark Divine's site. It may have already been in process and he simply put nail in coffin for the Rolex officially. I was using that as source for the change over, but you have added another interesting wrinkle to the story.

Do you recall the model of the Seikos? In that price range, Monster perhaps?

I don't recall what model but I have it somewhere so I'll look for it.

Defaultmp3
04-24-16, 20:22
That is about the most elitist bunch of nonsense I've ever heard.Well... yes, it is elitist nonsense. But that's the very nature of black/white tie events, no? These are the same kind of events where they have distinct forks for salads, fish, and dinner for crying out loud. However, if one wishes to partake in such festivities, might as well learn the rules properly, as byzantine as some of them might be.

sniperfrog
04-24-16, 20:30

The only guy I know that used one was just because it was free and he didn't really care if it broke. I don't know if he ever used it while deployed (probably not). Most guys just use their knife to open MREs and cut 550 cord. Guys would joke with the guys that spent big money on custom knives that they were just expensive cord cutters.

I don't think anyone would ever trust those spiking things to hold anything.

That knife came out when survival knives were all the rage 'cause Rambo used one. I think that was Bucks attempt to one up every other survival knife.

elephant
04-25-16, 00:39
A few from my collection:

All the Gold Rolex's were given to me by my dad over the years.
The Presidential was given to me when graduating high school.
The Gold GMT Master II was given to me when I turned 25
The Gold Daytona (black dial) was given to me when I turned 27
The Gold Yacht Master II was given to me when I turned 30
The Gold "Paul Newman" Daytona(yellow dial) was given to me after working for his company for 20 years ( I started when I was 12)
Every employee who works for my dads company for 20 years gets a Gold Rolex Presidential

I have a few others but these are the main watches that I switch out back and forth. They are sentimental to me.
My dad truly has the gift of giving. I think that is his love language.

parishioner
04-25-16, 01:54

The Gold "Paul Newman" Daytona(yellow dial) was given to me after working for his company for 20 years ( I started when I was 12)
Every employee who works for my dads company for 20 years gets a Gold Rolex Presidential

I have a few others but these are the main watches that I switch out back and forth. They are sentimental to me.

I'm sorry but I'm skeptical.

Your yacht master II appears to have a dark dial which was never offered, only a white dial in all metals. I'd like to see a better picture if you have one.

That's also not a "Paul Newman" Daytona.

I'd also like to see your "Pepsi" Submariner because as far as I know that configuration never existed.

Your dad may have given them all to you, but I'm sure you know that everyone who has fake watches the story is they're dad or grandfather gave it to them conviently alleviating them of the responsibility of buying a fake watch. Also the pictures of the fake watches are usually a strange quality that makes it difficult to make out, sort of like yours.

That's also over a 100k worth of watches, while not impossible I'm skeptical given the above.

If I'm wrong please correct me and I will admire and congratulate you on your fine collection.

SteyrAUG
04-25-16, 02:53
Well... yes, it is elitist nonsense. But that's the very nature of black/white tie events, no? These are the same kind of events where they have distinct forks for salads, fish, and dinner for crying out loud. However, if one wishes to partake in such festivities, might as well learn the rules properly, as byzantine as some of them might be.

Actually no, it's an opportunity to put on your best and spend memorable times with your friends. It isn't a time to compete with a room full of douches to see who can be elected King Douche because they understand that the 8th fork is for when nobody else does.

I had to grow up with a bunch of people who subscribed to that kind of nonsense, and in my experience the more you care about making sure you have a chilled salad fork, the more reprehensible a person you probably are. It's not like I'm going to be having a good time with my friends and they use a dinner fork to eat an oyster and I'm gonna say "Hey man, screw you...keep away from me you non fork understanding bastard..."

I see people not fitting in, not knowing what is what and I just tell them. If they care fine, if they don't care, fine. I'm sure most of the time I'm holding my pinky wrong anyway so I'll never get invited to the "Mighty Douche Secret Ball"...and honestly, that's perfect because I'd hate to spend an entire night with people I mostly despise.

When I get invitations to weddings, anniversaries, events, etc. and it specifies "black tie" I respect their wishes. After all I don't want somebody coming to my wedding in overalls and crocks, I get it. But if you start fussing at me over forks and watches, well thanks for the invite...I'm gonna be heading home now...might stop and get a pizza, good luck with whatever you do and don't call me.

elephant
04-25-16, 03:06
I'm sorry but I'm skeptical.

Your yacht master II appears to have a dark dial which was never offered, only a white dial in all metals. I'd like to see a better picture if you have one.

That's also not a "Paul Newman" Daytona.

I'd also like to see your "Pepsi" Submariner because as far as I know that configuration never existed.

Your dad may have given them all to you, but I'm sure you know that everyone who has fake watches the story is they're dad or grandfather gave it to them conviently alleviating them of the responsibility of buying a fake watch. Also the pictures of the fake watches are usually a strange quality that makes it difficult to make out, sort of like yours.

That's also over a 100k worth of watches, while not impossible I'm skeptical given the above.

If I'm wrong please correct me and I will admire and congratulate you on your fine collection.

Are you an expert on watches? Worth way more than $100k. Rolex offers more than there catalog suggest. I promise you that is a Paul Newman Daytona! The Yacht Master II has a black dial and Kourtney Kardashian and Rob Dyrdek own the same one. Im sorry your skeptical. Im not trying to be a douche but my parents do pretty well. Your talking to a guy who got a Rolex Presidential AND a Ferrari 360 for graduating HIGH SCHOOL! Which I still own to this day along with many others. I assure you that my dad, did in fact, purchased these watches brand new individually, and they are in fact, 100% authentic Genuine Rolex watches that came from a Authorized and Certified Rolex Dealer.

Moose-Knuckle
04-25-16, 03:13

I have been woken up out of a dead sleep by getting my Casio watchband too close to my face in the past.

What type of band did you have on your G-SHOCK? I ass-u-me it was Nylon of some sort. I've owned two G-SHOCKs, the first I put some after market Nylon watch band on, I forget the manufacture. The second I left the OEM "rubber/plastic" band on. Nylon, as with leather will become fetor after sweating and or wading through gnarly water. I used mine for LE and washed them weekly. I only ever wore my work watch at work and it stayed in my locker when I wasn't on the clock.

ramairthree
04-25-16, 03:26
Probably the Seiko H558.

Also know as the Arnold because he wore it in several movies and ads he was in pictures for.

A similar later model was the H601.

In my Ranger Bn in the 80s combat divers and scout swimmers could sign for one.
It was a dive analog watch,
But with a small digital window.
Most of the shrouds were broken off,
And many did not change batteries right, etc.

Seiko 6309 automatic divers were at the PX for 130 bucks and worn by many.
They glowed like a lensatic compass for years.
Also had day and date unlike a sub or SD.

Water proof, luminous, time bezel watches were a SOF thing since the 60S any way.
The price of a Seiko, SM300, or Sub was pretty similar in the late 60s. Maybe 110 for the Seiko and 150 for a sub.

But those cool National Geographic ads, and marketing really won things out for Rolex.
A Sd, Sub, Gmt, etc. was THE watch.

But by the mid 70s, the Seiko 120, but the sub about three times that.
We are talking PX prices.

By the mid 80s,
130 for the Seiko, ten times that for the sub.
Not quite the time of the g shock yet,
But way more seikos on the wrists of guys with black or green berets at this point.

Mids 90s less automatic watches being seen, but I think 175 for the Seiko of this era with only date. And about 2500 for the sub.

By around 2000 hockey pucks showing up and auto watch guys are getting called old timers.
Since then a great Seiko dive watch is a steal but subs about 4K.

Now,
You can still get a great basic Seiko diver for 200 bucks or less, they have a lot of mid level and higher end stuff now.
Analog has had a nice resurgence with issue Quartz and auto Marathons in a couple of different sizes, configurations. But he sub is even twice what it was in 2000.

For years I have called the Seiko diver the nicest 1000$ automatic dive watch you can get for a fraction of the cost,
And the submariner the nicest 1000$ dive watch you can get for multiples of that cost.

I like dive watches.

I have Seikos,
A sub since 1999, a SD, a Nos sm300, a fortis, a marathon JSAR, etc.

I will wear with a tux.
People are texting on phones at formal events now,
Not wearing a watch to not seem rude and concerned with time is a cute custom that has seen its day.

ramairthree
04-25-16, 03:31
Are you an expert on watches? Worth way more than $100k. Rolex offers more than there catalog suggest. I promise you that is a Paul Newman Daytona! The Yacht Master II has a black dial and Kourtney Kardashian and Rob Dyrdek own the same one. Im sorry your skeptical. Im not trying to be a douche but my parents do pretty well. Your talking to a guy who got a Rolex Presidential AND a Ferrari 360 for graduating HIGH SCHOOL! Which I still own to this day along with many others. I assure you that my dad, did in fact, purchased these watches brand new individually, and they are in fact, 100% authentic Genuine Rolex watches that came from a Authorized and Certified Rolex Dealer.

Tell Daddy to get you a nice camera and some lighting so we can see good pictures of them.

Showing off nice watches with such bad pictures is shameful.

parishioner
04-25-16, 03:58

Let's see the papers with reference numbers then. And better pictures of the watches too, especially the Pepsi sub, Paul Newman and yacht master II

WillBrink
04-25-16, 06:50
Well... yes, it is elitist nonsense. But that's the very nature of black/white tie events, no? These are the same kind of events where they have distinct forks for salads, fish, and dinner for crying out loud. However, if one wishes to partake in such festivities, might as well learn the rules properly, as byzantine as some of them might be.

You've done an excellent job of reminding why I tend to avoid black tie event at all costs when possible.

WillBrink
04-25-16, 07:16
Probably the Seiko H558.

Also know as the Arnold because he wore it in several movies and ads he was in pictures for.

A similar later model was the H601.

In my Ranger Bn in the 80s combat divers and scout swimmers could sign for one.
It was a dive analog watch,
But with a small digital window.
Most of the shrouds were broken off,
And many did not change batteries right, etc.

Seiko 6309 automatic divers were at the PX for 130 bucks and worn by many.
They glowed like a lensatic compass for years.
Also had day and date unlike a sub or SD.

Water proof, luminous, time bezel watches were a SOF thing since the 60S any way.
The price of a Seiko, SM300, or Sub was pretty similar in the late 60s. Maybe 110 for the Seiko and 150 for a sub.

But those cool National Geographic ads, and marketing really won things out for Rolex.
A Sd, Sub, Gmt, etc. was THE watch.

But by the mid 70s, the Seiko 120, but the sub about three times that.
We are talking PX prices.

By the mid 80s,
130 for the Seiko, ten times that for the sub.
Not quite the time of the g shock yet,
But way more seikos on the wrists of guys with black or green berets at this point.

Mids 90s less automatic watches being seen, but I think 175 for the Seiko of this era with only date. And about 2500 for the sub.

By around 2000 hockey pucks showing up and auto watch guys are getting called old timers.
Since then a great Seiko dive watch is a steal but subs about 4K.

Now,
You can still get a great basic Seiko diver for 200 bucks or less, they have a lot of mid level and higher end stuff now.
Analog has had a nice resurgence with issue Quartz and auto Marathons in a couple of different sizes, configurations. But he sub is even twice what it was in 2000.

For years I have called the Seiko diver the nicest 1000$ automatic dive watch you can get for a fraction of the cost,
And the submariner the nicest 1000$ dive watch you can get for multiples of that cost.

I like dive watches.

I have Seikos,

I will wear with a tux.
Not wearing a watch to not seem rude and concerned with time is a cute custom that has seen its day.

Great watch intel, thanx. I agree on the Seikos, perhaps the most underrated watch brand around and many unaware Seiko produces watches from all categories, including watches that easily compete with the top end stuff, via the Grand Seiko line which is rarely seen in the US:

http://www.grand-seiko.com/

Whiskey_Bravo
04-25-16, 08:23
Wearing a watch with a black tie outfit is already kinda a faux pas, but a diver? Really? That's beyond the pale, despite what idiots who try to emulate Commander Bond might think. Might as well wear a riggers belt with that outfit.

I don't agree with this at all, and have seen many a nice watch at formal and black tie events. I like watches so I look at watches but most people don't.

chuckman
04-25-16, 08:52

I like dive watches.

I have Seikos,

I will wear with a tux.

When I was a corpsman and spent a lot of time in the water most of us had Citizen Aqualands. I love Citizen dive watches, more so than Seikos. But to each their own, eh? When we were above the high tide line it was usually the G-Shock. I am not a huge fan of the Suunto....found it to be a temperamental bitch, but I do like the Casio Pro-Trek.

WillBrink
04-25-16, 09:21
When I was a corpsman and spent a lot of time in the water most of us had Citizen Aqualands. I love Citizen dive watches, more so than Seikos. But to each their own, eh? When we were above the high tide line it was usually the G-Shock. I am not a huge fan of the Suunto....found it to be a temperamental bitch, but I do like the Casio Pro-Trek.

In what way? Every 30 days it attacks you for no reason? :lol:

chuckman
04-25-16, 09:25

Dude, that's good. I am undercaffeinated so it took me a minute. :)

brickboy240
04-25-16, 11:32
Don't know about the Rolex (I have a savings account...therefore no Rolexes! LOL) but the Luminox watched were damned flimsy!

I stupidly bought one many years ago and was unimpressed at how it held up. The bands were extremely flimsy and I put 3 on it before retiring it to a dresser drawer.

I now use a G-Shock and it holds up just fine to mt biking, kayaking and working around the home and family ranch.

For the money...the G-Shock watches are really hard to beat.

Defaultmp3
04-25-16, 12:01
Also, this has been bothering me:

Jacques Cousteau had a lot of input with the design of the Submariner, he chose red and blue because they are the easiest to distinguish under water.I've not been diving before, because the ocean scares the Hell out of me, but red does not show up very well at all in water deeper than like 25 feet; instead, it turns greenish black, according to what I've been told. Thus, while probably slightly more functional than a Coke bezel, a Pepsi bezel is not really optimized for diving usage without artificial lighting, as the red will blend in with the blue, while bright orange or yellow are visible for greater depths.

And, of course, that only matters to bezels, not the aforementioned Pepsi dial (which, like most of the other posters, I've never even heard of, along with Pepsi bezels for a Sub).

JC5188
04-25-16, 12:07

They screw out...

ETA...shoulda known you already knew that shit.

KalashniKEV
04-25-16, 12:15
Wearing a watch with a black tie outfit is already kinda a faux pas, but a diver? Really? That's beyond the pale, despite what idiots...

Not really, homey.

You aren't supposed to change your watch all the time like a ladies purse- you're supposed to take it on adventures.

A sportsman doesn't care anyway though. You can wave your champagne glass at his Sub and be all disgusted and he'll just tell you it's been on his wrist at War, in the board room, and four years ago when he banged your wife on a sailboat.

Don't forget the 6105 "Captain Willard."

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/IMAG0089_1_zpsksbclrg1.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Watches/IMAG0089_1_zpsksbclrg1.jpg.html)

Worth way more than $100k. Rolex offers more than there catalog suggest... Im sorry your skeptical. Im not trying to be a douche but my parents do pretty well. Your talking to a guy who got a Rolex Presidential AND a Ferrari 360 for graduating HIGH SCHOOL!

Your father should have set aside a few bucks for an English tutor. ;)

JC5188
04-25-16, 12:17

Very nice. You leave the chronos running all the time?

ramairthree
04-25-16, 12:45
Those were very cool in the PX display.
The citizen with the depth gauge in a tube of water.

I like them also,
But they never had an auto I liked as much as the Seikos.

ramairthree
04-25-16, 12:50
Great watch intel, thanx. I agree on the Seikos, perhaps the most underrated watch brand around and many unaware Seiko produces watches from all categories, including watches that easily compete with the top end stuff, via the Grand Seiko line which is rarely seen in the US:

http://www.grand-seiko.com/

The 6159 300m I had from the late 60s early 70s was head and shoulders above the SM300 and Sub of the time.
Their recent pro autos are also amazing.

I have seen more analogs on wrists since GWOT when they were dying out before because with all the funding guys were getting Marathons bought.

I believe it was 99 when the hockey puck altimeter/ everything watches we started to order and use. At least at 7th Group.

chuckman
04-25-16, 13:08
I've not been diving before, because the ocean scares the Hell out of me, but red does not show up very well at all in water deeper than like 25 feet; instead, it turns greenish black, according to what I've been told.

In descending order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet

MountainRaven
04-25-16, 13:14

That's racist.

JC5188
04-25-16, 13:28

Not to be confrontational, but doesn't the Newman have crosshairs, and a 15/30/45/60 marked 9:00 sub dial? You sure that's not a gold "panda"?

Oh and Damn...when did you graduate high school? Lol.

elephant
04-25-16, 14:33
I've not been diving before, because the ocean scares the Hell out of me, but red does not show up very well at all in water deeper than like 25 feet; instead, it turns greenish black, according to what I've been told. Thus, while probably slightly more functional than a Coke bezel, a Pepsi bezel is not really optimized for diving usage without artificial lighting, as the red will blend in with the blue, while bright orange or yellow are visible for greater depths.

And, of course, that only matters to bezels, not the aforementioned Pepsi dial (which, like most of the other posters, I've never even heard of, along with Pepsi bezels for a Sub).

That is true, but Jacques Cousteau spent most of his time in the shallow coral reefs filming documentaries, the red/blue is easiest to distinguish in that environment then say, 100 feet in open ocean. I am PADA certified but like you, I don't like diving in the open ocean, mostly 10-16 foot reefs where I can see 100' in all directions. Green is the most visible color in water (Caribbean waters). In deep water, red turns to grey and blue turns to dark grey. The Navy Frogmen defiantly improved there gear over the years. Back then they were diving with no BCD, wearing an oval mask, double hose regulators on twin tanks and zip fins. But I actually like that vintage look.

elephant
04-25-16, 14:34
Not to be confrontational, but doesn't the Newman have crosshairs, and a 15/30/45/60 marked 9:00 sub dial? You sure that's not a gold "panda"?

Oh and Damn...when did you graduate high school? Lol.

In 2001

hatidua
04-25-16, 14:42
Still waiting on pics of a Pepsi Sub...

TF82
04-25-16, 16:18
I know nothing about the topic, but was enjoying this thread before it got weird. I just had to say...

Another question:
I knew a guy from another dept who was a Navy Diver, not a SEAL, but just a normal diver (whatever that means, like I dunno. He said he fixed stuff or welded). Yeah I know, very tertiary info, but he swore by Suunto dive watches.

HOLY CRAP, you know a guy who was in the Navy and went under water and doesn't claim to be a SEAL. In Law Enforcement? You should buy that dude a beer every time you see him because he must have been damn lonely under there fixing stuff while every single other tool bag you come across was busy being a SEAL. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out who drives all the ships. Honest mother f*****. That's just refreshing to hear.

26 Inf
04-25-16, 17:07
I know nothing about the topic, but was enjoying this thread before it got weird. I just had to say...

HOLY CRAP, you know a guy who was in the Navy and went under water and doesn't claim to be a SEAL. In Law Enforcement? You should buy that dude a beer every time you see him because he must have been damn lonely under there fixing stuff while every single other tool bag you come across was busy being a SEAL. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out who drives all the ships. Honest mother f*****. That's just refreshing to hear.

I've got another one, SHE was a salvage diver, essentially an underwater welder.

parishioner
04-25-16, 17:33

Don't worry there isn't going to be a picture because the model never existed and if he does have one it's guaranteed to be fake just like his yacht master II. GMT's were the only models offered with Bi-color bezels. Submariner bezels have only been offered in black, green, or blue.

That is also 100% not a Paul Newman Daytona which is why he flat out ignored JC5188 as well as my request for better pictures of the watches and the papers/cards that came with them. Anyone who claims to have an interest in watches as well as someone with such an extensive Rolex collection will have kept the documentation to go with it. It's kind of a thing.

KalashniKEV
04-25-16, 19:49

Maybe his Pepsi Sub has a GMT hand? ;)

It's entirely possible that if this guy's daddy showers him with gifts that he just doesn't know-or-care about the difference between a Submariner and a GMT Master... or that you can clearly see that his Daytona is not a Newman.

He probably doesn't know or care what a Paul Newman Daytona is... he's got six figures of timepieces on his desk and a Ferrari in the driveway...

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/ferrari-testarossa-replica-for-sale-on-ebay_3.jpg

parishioner
04-25-16, 20:02
Maybe his Pepsi Sub has a GMT hand? ;)

It's entirely possible that if this guy's daddy showers him with gifts that he just doesn't know-or-care about the difference between a Submariner and a GMT Master... or that you can clearly see that his Daytona is not a Newman.

He probably doesn't know or care what a Paul Newman Daytona is... he's got six figures of timepieces on his desk and a Ferrari in the driveway...

SteyrAUG
04-25-16, 20:38
Nice "Ferrari".

:)

I'd rather have the Miami Vice Corarri.

hatidua
04-25-16, 20:41
Parts of this thread rival the "things overheard in a gun shop" thread.

JC5188
04-25-16, 21:24
I'd rather have the Miami Vice Corarri.

Because it's white?

JC5188
04-25-16, 21:28
Huh...I guess one of my posts disappeared.

Firefly
04-25-16, 21:45

He was a cool guy regardless. Laid back hippie type. Sorta how I like to think I am but he really was way more approachable and friendly than I shall likely ever be. The man was a walking Jimmy Buffett tune. I try to pick my company where I can.

Anyways.....I was actually at risk about learning about SF watches until a pissing match broke out.

Of all the watches posted, Kev's CPT Willard is the coolest. I can picture him somewhere in the Capitol Wasteland, drinking 33 beer he bought at H Mart, playing The Doors, doing Tai Chi naked, and lamenting that while he's posting on M4C that Haji is out there squatting in the desert getting stronger while he's got to keep his edge.

:p (No seriously tho, phat watch bro)

SteyrAUG
04-25-16, 22:58
Because it's white?

The Testarossa was white, even though Ferarri delivered two of them in black.

The Corarri was black, and it was a Ferarri kit built on a Corvette chassis. It was passed off as a Daytona Spyder.

wildcard600
04-25-16, 23:04
Howdy,

whatever stengun was wearing in theater is what i would stake my life on. the man obviously has an eye for quality kit.

MountainRaven
04-25-16, 23:14

The Corarri was black, and it was a Ferarri kit built on a Corvette chassis. It was passed off as a Daytona Spyder.

The Testarossa was black in the first episode, when it was a bad guy's car (Switek kept saying, "He's driving the Testarossa!" over and over), then they painted it white after it became state's property and loaned out to Crockett.

ramairthree
04-26-16, 00:04
Yep, that is the second model 6105 Seiko.

Their first basic diver was the 6217.
Nothing too impressive.

Then the first model 6105.
It has a bigger case than the 6217,
But smaller than the apocalypse now 6105.

Same dial.
Early second model 6105s had the same dial marked water proof.
Then some law changed and water proof was condsodered false advertising on watches and they went to being marked resist instead,

In the mid 70s the 6306/6309 Seikos came out. They were available for about a decade,
Then a smaller model 6309.

I never saw the smaller model 6309s at the PX.

My 6309 I bought at the fort Benning PX got ripped off my wrist I had it on a Velcro band with small compass doing cast and recovery.

When I went to replace it, the new Seiko was the 7002. Case like the smaller 6309 and more current SKX divers,
But worst lime ever on a Seiko dive watch. They had to stop using tritium paint, and had not started with luminova yet.

Luminova type watches are great because they don't fade or have a half life over the years.
The down side is they need to be charged by light. A gun or watch in a drawer, or out at night long enough will lose its lume until charged by light again.

Tritium was great. Awesome lume that did not need to be charged. But by five years or so losing its glow.
After ten or fifteen years, just like tritium sights, their usefulness has seriously waned.

Plus it has to be in vials now instead of painted on.

I keep wanting to invent dials with the indices and hands a frame of luminova, and little discs or whatever shape of tritium discs instead of vials that can be replaced. Best of both worlds.

JC5188
04-26-16, 04:43

Oh yeah...I was thinking the testarossa. Yeah I'd rather have that one too.

Sorry about the hijack, WillBrink.

ST911
04-26-16, 07:05
This thread is about NSW watches, and closely related content again.

chuckman
04-26-16, 07:46

I have a coworker, retired from the Navy, he was a diving officer, most of his time with EOD and salvage. Last duty station was Long Beach, Cali, before he retired. Even now when he tells people was a Navy diver in southern California almost everyone presumes he was a SEAL, but he is very quick to point out he was not. I was SCUBA qual in the Navy; we tell people the difference is he went vertical to do his job, I went horizontal. Most non-military people equate Navy diver with SEAL. I mean, have they never seen Men of Honor??

I forwarded the watch question to a friend who is in the waning years of his Navy career, now in the reserve but was a SEAL for many years on AD, he said the only watch he used was a G-Shock.

WillBrink
04-26-16, 07:59
Don't know about the Rolex (I have a savings account...therefore no Rolexes! LOL) but the Luminox watched were damned flimsy!

I stupidly bought one many years ago and was unimpressed at how it held up. The bands were extremely flimsy and I put 3 on it before retiring it to a dresser drawer.

I now use a G-Shock and it holds up just fine to mt biking, kayaking and working around the home and family ranch.

For the money...the G-Shock watches are really hard to beat.

I was told "they didn't last long" and they are not hard use tool quality watches, that's for sure.

WillBrink
04-26-16, 08:01
That's racist.

No, it's sexist. Get your PC metaphors in line sir!

WillBrink
04-26-16, 08:07
Don't worry there isn't going to be a picture because the model never existed and if he does have one it's guaranteed to be fake just like his yacht master II. GMT's were the only models offered with Bi-color bezels. Submariner bezels have only been offered in black, green, or blue.

That is also 100% not a Paul Newman Daytona which is why he flat out ignored JC5188 as well as my request for better pictures of the watches and the papers/cards that came with them. Anyone who claims to have an interest in watches as well as someone with such an extensive Rolex collection will have kept the documentation to go with it. It's kind of a thing.

Gents, not a mod here but does not seem very productive direction for this thread. His collection either contains some fakes or don't. Seems his biz and problem to care one way or another, yes?

KalashniKEV
04-26-16, 08:33
Of all the watches posted, Kev's CPT Willard is the coolest.

Thanks!

I agree. ;)

I also am disappointed there have not been many pics... although I had assumed someone might just post "Sub ---> G-Shock /EOT."

In the vein of "watches military people wear," here is my Chronosport UDT Type I:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/20150925_153808-1_zpsqlvxqhwm.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Watches/20150925_153808-1_zpsqlvxqhwm.jpg.html)

drinking 33 beer he bought at H Mart...

I ****ing love H Mart.

His collection either contains some fakes or the world's only Pepsi Submariner.

Fixed it for you.

I think it would be productive and expand the knowledge of the group if he were to post pics of this incredibly extraordinary, unthinkably rare reference.

I'm sure he'll be back around when he's done shooting his Glock 18. ;)

WillBrink
04-26-16, 08:34
I have a coworker, retired from the Navy, he was a diving officer, most of his time with EOD and salvage. Last duty station was Long Beach, Cali, before he retired. Even now when he tells people was a Navy diver in southern California almost everyone presumes he was a SEAL, but he is very quick to point out he was not. I was SCUBA qual in the Navy; we tell people the difference is he went vertical to do his job, I went horizontal. Most non-military people equate Navy diver with SEAL. I mean, have they never seen Men of Honor??

I forwarded the watch question to a friend who is in the waning years of his Navy career, now in the reserve but was a SEAL for many years on AD, he said the only watch he used was a G-Shock.

Tough, easy to read, and cheap. They seem to have kept their popularity for those who beat on watches and don't want to spend much to replace them when they go tits up. Personally, I'm glad to see the popularity of quality mechanical watches return, and if will made, will tolerate great deal of abuse per comments in the OP about the Sub.

chuckman
04-26-16, 08:39
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/20150925_153808-1_zpsqlvxqhwm.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Watches/20150925_153808-1_zpsqlvxqhwm.jpg.html)

My dive watches have had that strap; or rather one similar, the Waterborne. Great design and tough as hell. Nice watch BTW.

Alex V
04-26-16, 09:25
I am a total novice when it comes to watches, but is this thread turning into another Beretta 93R issued in combat type fiasco?

A couple years ago my wife got me an awesome coffee table book, all bout UDT/SEALs/NSW. Its a really nice book with a ton of pics and info on the SEALs. I looked through it but didn't find any specific information on what time pieces are issued. They have info on weapons and equipment, but nothing on watches. Most of the photos where watches are visible seem like GShocks. Some watches I am not sure what they are.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/Boom%20Sticks/IMG_4745_zpsyhlslw1v.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/Boom%20Sticks/IMG_4745_zpsyhlslw1v.jpg.html)

Looks like a GShock here
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/Boom%20Sticks/IMG_4744_zpsiudpigtk.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/Boom%20Sticks/IMG_4744_zpsiudpigtk.jpg.html)

Not sure why its upside down, but looks like another GShock
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/Boom%20Sticks/IMG_4743_zpsv4jfdlfr.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/Boom%20Sticks/IMG_4743_zpsv4jfdlfr.jpg.html)

No idea what these watches are
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/Boom%20Sticks/IMG_4742_zpssh3coo5b.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/Boom%20Sticks/IMG_4742_zpssh3coo5b.jpg.html)

Hmac
04-26-16, 09:29
I've only had three watches in the last 35 years, two of them Rolex. My red-letter Sub was abused horribly for 20 years, I replaced it in 1997 with a Rolex Daytona. Both have been utterly flawless in function as an every-day watch. Downside is the cost of maintenance. Cleaning on those suckers is about $1500 or more depending other little refurbishments done, and isn't something you'd trust to your local watchsmith.

My third watch is an Apple Watch. I pretty much only wear that at work for it's iPhone interface. It's great in that role, but I don't really think of it as a watch.

JC5188
04-26-16, 10:02
This from Wiki...

In 1959, the United States Navy Experimental Diving Unit evaluated five diving watches that included the Bulova US Navy Submersible Wrist Watch, Enicar Sherpa Diver 600, Enicar Seapearl 600, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, and the Rolex Oyster Perpetual.[9]

Also, this link may prove useful. The NEDU docs are at the bottom.

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/xmlui/handle/123456789/3833

Can't open it on my phone for some reason.

ramairthree
04-26-16, 11:39
This thread is about NSW watches, and closely related content again.

My Navy buddies, and FR Marine buddies pretty much followed the same auto diver pathway as the LRRP/Ranger/SF side.

Buddy I roomed with during mountain warfare school in early 90s that was force recon, ranger qualified, Seiko 6309 still on his wrist.
Army lawyer in lates 90s that had been FR, sub on the wrist and 6309 at home for rough stuff.
Navy officer that had been enlisted SEAL, starting in 85, 6309 to this day.
Etc.
For guys that enlisted ranger, SF, FR, Seal, from late 70s for a decade or more the Rolex yearn but Seiko on the wrist is common and widespread.

Can't keep track of the sheer numbers of personal examples,
But if you were in one of these units in the 80s that big Seiko is probably as familiar looking to you as a lensatic compass.

Then it seems like a lot of digital market share from mid 90s until guys got free marathons in GWOT.

Anyways,
Keep in mind what you bought at the PX,
What your unit bought and issued,
And what was official issue have always been parts that confuse the discussion.

I am good to go on the Rolex, Seiko, etc. stuff?

usmcvet
04-26-16, 11:43
Howdy.

I love my Marathon's here is my JDD. Great watch and very easy to read the dial. I am pretty disappointed in the amount of time it looses. I started keeping track for a few weeks to see if it's with in spec. I suspect it isn't. It was five min slow on April 1st and 2.5 min slow again on the 10th. I took it off several days ago and did not make a note of the time lost. Is 2.5 min slow in 10 days acceptable?
http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/Watches/12910DB1-1BE5-4E4D-87C3-62C3E97525D2_zps1lcthwuq.jpg (http://s859.photobucket.com/user/usmcvet0331/media/Snapbucket/Watches/12910DB1-1BE5-4E4D-87C3-62C3E97525D2_zps1lcthwuq.jpg.html)

I was told "they didn't last long" and they are not hard use tool quality watches, that's for sure.

Luminox watches SUCK! I wish I knew about Marathon when I bought my Luminox. They're not well made. I wanted a tritium and did not know there were other options. The internet was very young at the time or at least my understanding of it was!

Defaultmp3
04-26-16, 12:06
Is 2.5 min slow in 10 days acceptable?This does not fall within the typical COSC standards, which stipulate −4/+6 seconds a day; yours averages to about 10 seconds slow per day; still, such a number isn't exactly complete garbage for an automatic. You can try and see if the position you leave it in overnight when you're not wearing it has any serious effect on how fast/slow the watch runs; if it does, that is a sign of poor regulation, but if you can figure out a position that'll run fast over the night to compensate for it running slow on your wrist, it can even things out. Or, if you're OCD about it, you can find many people who can regulate your watch for you, to make it more accurate; most local watch repair places that are able to work on ETA movements can probably do that, although whether or not they'll be able to properly pressure test the watch afterwards is another story. I'd personally opt to send it to one of the more reputable places, such as MotorCity WatchWorks, Artifice Horoworks (he's been on Lightfighter, before he got into watches), International Watch Works, etc.

KalashniKEV
04-26-16, 12:16
I love my Marathon's here is my JDD. ... I am pretty disappointed in the amount of time it looses. ... Is 2.5 min slow in 10 days acceptable

There are no automatic watches that provide acceptable accuracy for the GWOT.

Was a Sub/SM300/6105/6309/SKX007 adequate for testing 3 pieces of time fuse to see how close you are to 45 seconds per foot back in the day?

Of course it was.

Are any of those watches adequate for synching a radio?

Absolutely not. Better fire up the GPS. (Why the hell don't they just put a GPS in there for time only?)

Plus we have MDI's now.

brickboy240
04-26-16, 12:22
Anyone know how long the batteries last in a G-Shock? I have had mine going on three years and the thing is still going. It is my first digital watch so I have no gauge as to battery life on these types of watches. The batteries on my daily work watch (a 30 year old Tag Heuer 2000 Series) lasts about 3-4 years. The Luminox batteries also lasted 3 to 4 years.

Again...I would stay far away from the Luminox watches in general. They look cool but they were sure flimsy.

Many items that are deemed "tactical" or for "military use" are not all that durable in my experiences. Oakley boots are another shining example.

chuckman
04-26-16, 12:53
Anyone know how long the batteries last in a G-Shock? I have had mine going on three years and the thing is still going. It is my first digital watch so I have no gauge as to battery life on these types of watches.

Depends on how much you play with the functions. The minimal life is supposed to be a couple years, but know of one going to about 5 before having to get battery changed. Mine is solar powered, I got it in 2004ish, and just this year it started losing its charge fairly quickly (meaning I would have to get it under light every few days to charge).

KalashniKEV
04-26-16, 13:50
Anyone know how long the batteries last in a G-Shock? ...I have no gauge as to battery life...

The Solar Atomic G-Shock that's on my wrist right now (GW6900-1) has a power indicator right on the dial that is on all the time. Mine is showing "High" and "PS" for Power Saver (turns off when the watch isn't moving or receiving light/charge). I've never had it not say "High" even after leaving it in a drawer for months. If I press FWD/REC-START/STOP I can see that I last synched with the atomic clock at 0007 this morning.

I can put a second time zone where the day/date is and see both at once, and it does all the normal watch stuff.

It costs less than $77 shipped on Amazon.

chuckman
04-26-16, 14:02
I also have a solar-powered Casio Pro-Trek. I like it more than the Suunto, and like its cousin the G-Shock, takes a hell of a beating. I haven't had it nearly as long as my G-Shock but the indicator has shown "high" (fully charged) for a very long time. I am sold on Casio's solar-powered watches.

KalashniKEV
04-26-16, 14:27
Suunto is garbage.

Firefly
04-26-16, 14:37
Suunto is garbage.

Were you one of the guys they sent a van with goons to beat up your folks and shoot your dog too?

I'm not a Suunto fanboy, but I had a wrist dive computer. It worked okay. Never owned a Core or whatnot(I just use my phone. Any other watch was a Walmart deal) or my car clock. But to be fair I don't traipse in the Bush as they say.

Why, actually do people dislike their watches?
Do they break? Inaccurate?
What's the main complaint.

FWIW if I get a "mannery" watch it'd be a Seiko or a go to hell watch, likely a Casio Mudman.

usmcvet
04-26-16, 14:40
This does not fall within the typical COSC standards, which stipulate −4/+6 seconds a day; yours averages to about 10 seconds slow per day; still, such a number isn't exactly complete garbage for an automatic. You can try and see if the position you leave it in overnight when you're not wearing it has any serious effect on how fast/slow the watch runs; if it does, that is a sign of poor regulation, but if you can figure out a position that'll run fast over the night to compensate for it running slow on your wrist, it can even things out. Or, if you're OCD about it, you can find many people who can regulate your watch for you, to make it more accurate; most local watch repair places that are able to work on ETA movements can probably do that, although whether or not they'll be able to properly pressure test the watch afterwards is another story. I'd personally opt to send it to one of the more reputable places, such as MotorCity WatchWorks, Artifice Horoworks (he's been on Lightfighter, before he got into watches), International Watch Works, etc.

Thank you for the info. I wear my watch to bed. I am not really rough on it but I don't baby it. I've not had it a year yet. I will reach out to Marathon. They regulated my last GSAR for me. They did not charge me but it was gone for a long time.

James at Midwest Watch and Clock fixed my old Glycine GMT for me. From my trip to the local Jewler I thought it was a bad movement. It needed a battery and cleaning. I don't think he charged me $20. I was happy and impressed. He is coolhand on the www.mwrforum.net

chuckman
04-26-16, 14:44

With my Suunto many of the functions would not stay calibrated, reset some functions, some of the functions were just too hard to use (well, too many steps), it did not keep time well (often off by a couple minutes), and chewed batteries like I go through beef jerky. A battery every four or five months.

WillBrink
04-26-16, 14:51
Were you one of the guys they sent a van with goons to beat up your folks and shoot your dog too?

I'm not a Suunto fanboy, but I had a wrist dive computer. It worked okay. Never owned a Core or whatnot(I just use my phone. Any other watch was a Walmart deal) or my car clock. But to be fair I don't traipse in the Bush as they say.

FWIW if I get a "mannery" watch it'd be a Seiko or a go to hell watch, likely a Casio Mudman.

Can't speak for KEV, but reviews are generally poor, with poor QC, breaking within months of anything close to hard use, and very poor customer service to get them fixed if/when they break.

KalashniKEV
04-26-16, 15:40

A lot of my soldiers wasted their money on those in the mid-2000s and experienced all manner of heartache and disappointment.

One of them filled up with water doing pool PT (brand new, no battery replaced), one just went haywire, another died in theater after only a few months.

It's a big price to pay in both dollars and aggravation to look cool.

GW6900-1, much like Glock 19, is simply the answer.

Firefly
04-26-16, 15:48
I see. Those are legit beefs.

Doubt I would get another anything Suunto most likely. I never had the watch but rather computer. It did okay.

Life is too short and precious to waste on stuff that doesn't work

sniperfrog
04-26-16, 19:12
The Seiko watch I have has 7002-7009 on the back. This was issued in 1992. i don't know when they started issuing the Seikos but sometime around '95-'96 they started issuing G-shocks as well.