PDA

View Full Version : Most Free State in the Nation

dmaxfireman
04-23-16, 10:24
Looking down the road at an exit strategy. My wife and I are looking at different states when I can retire (in 8-10yrs) and are starting to search for property. We are currently in CT and want to go somewhere where the weather and people are warmer. With the political climate being what it is up here almost anywhere is better. What states are the most liberty loving, friendly, good weather/climate, etc. I know it is very open ended and everyone's perspective is different but if you could pick up and move anywhere, where would you go, and why?

**Edit** Also, wherever we go we will want a decent sized piece of land, minimum 20+ acres or more depending on type of land. We prefer "green" and the wife will have some small hobby farm animals.

Firefly
04-23-16, 10:46
Georgia if you like superstitious blue laws in the country and overbearing city government in more built up areas.

But cost of living is relatively low (ish), and the gun laws are great. Crime is on a bit of an uptick, and in a lot of metro areas you will likely a minority.
But there's an international airport if you feel like you need to go to Amsterdam or something for a month. Florida is a few hours drive.
The ghettoness and redneckery can be irritating at times but overall, it's not bad.

I debate moving out west and living in a shack off the grid, but being firmly ensconced in the Empire State of the Confederacy guarantees that at least I don't have to put up with gun laws.
Plus a lot of my favorite bands always play here.

But if you move here just be cool. That's all anyone asks.
Seriously, just be cool about it.

Alex V
04-23-16, 10:55
The wife and I are planning our exit strategy as well. NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation, very high cost of living and worst gun laws around. It's not for us.

She went back to school and will be done in May 2017. Then it's save up and run like hell. Her first choice is Charlotte. I'm not opposed. I've had friends move to High Point NC and they loved it there. For me as an Architect I need to be near a major city for work. For her finding a job will be easier.

Most people say that Arizona seems to be the best for gun laws and retirement. My wife grew up going to the Jersey Shore so if I take her that far from the beach, she'll kill me.

We both loved Austin when we went there in 2012. I would move to TX in a heart beat but we both fear it's too far from family.

Florida is always a good choice, but it is God's waiting room and just too damn hot for me. I hate the heat but there just isn't any way to avoid it if you want freedom. Seems like the best weather states are liberal shit holes. It really sucks ass, I either have to deal with 10' of snow and moose kicking down my door or sweating my balls off 9months a year. It is what it is.

ABNAK
04-23-16, 10:56
Obviously I'm a little biased but we moved here to TN 20 years ago and never looked back, so it's not coming from a "native" Tennessean. I live out in the sticks and love it; 22 acres, my wife has her horse thing going on and I have a 100yd shooting range, can't see the neighbors. Modest brick ranch with basement and land was $210K back in 2010, so no doubt much more affordable than a similar setup in CT. Cost of living overall is no doubt much lower than anywhere in New England.

TN does, unfortunately, have a tendency to elect RINO's. Our governor Haslam and both U.S. Senators (Corker and Alexander) fit that description but gun laws are not an issue. TN has a "shall-issue" CCW permit system. It is also NFA-friendly.

Weather? *Better* than CT in the winter but it does get cold. Summers are like a sauna. Spring is unpredictable but fall is the shiznit! My favorite time of year here. Low-to-no humidity and nice warm days, perfect shooting weather!

Whatever you decide good luck and get the hell out of Dodge ASAP! ;)

ABNAK
04-23-16, 11:02
The wife and I are planning our exit strategy as well. NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation, very high cost of living and worst gun laws around. It's not for us.

She went back to school and will be done in May 2017. Then it's save up and run like hell. Her first choice is Charlotte. I'm not opposed. I've had friends move to High Point NC and they loved it there. For me as an Architect I need to be near a major city for work. For her finding a job will be easier.

Most people say that Arizona seems to be the best for gun laws and retirement. My wife grew up going to the Jersey Shore so if I take her that far from the beach, she'll kill me.

We both loved Austin when we went there in 2012. I would move to TX in a heart beat but we both fear it's too far from family.

Florida is always a good choice, but it is God's waiting room and just too damn hot for me. I hate the heat but there just isn't any way to avoid it if you want freedom. Seems like the best weather states are liberal shit holes. It really sucks ass, I either have to deal with 10' of snow and moose kicking down my door or sweating my balls off 9months a year. It is what it is.

Hey, you could always take her to the beach in Kali! (I kid, I kid). Take a wetsuit though 'cause I'd wager the ocean is about as warm as NJ's!

Bulletdog
04-23-16, 11:05
AZ has constitutional carry, and certainly meets the "warmer" criteria. How do you like the desert? Its a different kind of living…

Georgia has been passing all sorts of pro-2A laws in recent years, and I've had good experiences with people there as far as hospitality and friendliness, once you get out of Atlanta. Certainly warmer than CT most of the year, but you still might get to see a little snow once in a while in some parts in winter.

Personally, I really like the tropical-ish climate of south FL, and they are pretty friendly and gun friendly there.

It might not be for everyone, but I really like Louisiana too. I've got family there and once you get away from New Orleans, the state is pretty sensible about law and order, and the people are friendly. Plus they have "Cane's" chicken fingers and the accompanying magical dipping sauce! look around Baton Rouge, St. Francisville, and Minden up near Shreveport to the North. Some really nice, calm places to just live a peaceful, quiet, relaxed life.

I've got family in Texas too. Its a huge state with a pretty good attitude toward firearms, maybe with the exception of Austin. You can find just about any environment you want there. Like it dry? Stay to the West. Want tropical humidity? Stay to the East. Want good fishing? Go south.

The weather here in Southern CA is the best of any place in our country, but the politics are as bad as it gets, and getting worse all the time. I'm not leaving anytime soon, but I can't recommend this place. The taxes, over-bearing government rules, regulations, and permit fees are beyond ridiculous, and the politicians that rule the state from their offices in the two big cities are not gun friendly in any way, despite the wishes of the people they fail to represent.

Good luck to you. I'm contemplating the same sort of move eventually, so I'd love to hear the input on this thread, and I'd also love to hear what you eventually choose and why.

ABNAK
04-23-16, 11:15
If you could take Southern Kali's weather, the green hills of TN, the gun laws of the South and West (minus the Left Coast), and move them close enough to an ocean that a weekend beach trip is easily doable (but just far enough to not get farked by hurricanes) you'd have the perfect location. Alas, there isn't such a place so there are going to be drawbacks anywhere, some bigger than others.

Best you can settle for?

1) At least "decent" weather.....gotta do an overall, year-round average
2) Pro-gun
3) Red state preferred (never understood why the commie left doesn't warrant the color red, but I digress)
4) Close enough to metro areas for work/entertainment/dining but far enough to forget it
5) Tolerable cost of living

dmaxfireman
04-23-16, 11:19
If you could take Southern Kali's weather, the green hills of TN, the gun laws of the South and West (minus the Left Coast), and move them close enough to an ocean that a weekend beach trip is easily doable (but just far enough to not get farked by hurricanes) you'd have the perfect location. Alas, there isn't such a place so there are going to be drawbacks anywhere, some bigger than others.

Best you can settle for?

2) Pro-gun
3) Red state preferred (never understood why the commie left doesn't warrant the color red, but I digress)
4) Close enough to metro areas for work/entertainment/dining but far enough to forget it

Find me that place, and there is a finders fee in it for you!

Firefly
04-23-16, 11:20
I'd rather visit Florida than live there.
I can handle meth heads and crack fiends all day. Like literally all day. BTDT.

But I draw the line at Bath Salt Zombies. And I heard there are folks down there doing Krokodil. Like that Soviet heroin that rots your limbs off. With all the dope they just hand out for free down there people are messing with something like that.

I couldn't live in AZ nor NM.
The Carolinas aren't bad. They still have Pizza Inn. There are only two Pizza Inns in Georgia and none are near me. But Pizza Inn rules.

And I agree. Once you're out of major cities Georgia is great unless you run afoul of good ol boys.

If we had constitutional carry and rolled back some of the more bizarre archaic laws; it'd be great. Lots of woods. Lots of gun stores. Great shopping in Atlanta. Passable DNR ranges. Make my day laws.

I mean you can just chill.

ETA if you're a fireman, and let everyone know you're a fireman,and wear a fireman t shirt, and drive a red truck then you won't have an issue with good ol boys. Especially if you are bald/shave head and have an "Oakley tan" where your whole face is red or tan but an M frame or Gascan pattern of untanned skin on your face.

Leuthas
04-23-16, 11:22

Best you can settle for?

2) Pro-gun

I live on the coast - I've never seen one of these 'hurricanes'. Washington used to be a fantastic place, Seattle/Tacoma notwithstanding, until the great migration (from CA) began.

Now I can't even sell a firearm without Daddy's permission. Millennials come here in waves to smoke pot and learn about oppressed trans-womens' 'how to live with a penis as a female' studies.

I'm moving far away this winter.

ETA: I'd also like to add that I can no longer open carry without someone screaming at me, panicking and calling the police.

JC5188
04-23-16, 11:39
I like Oklahoma. Super low cost of living, land isn't a problem, with T-town and Ok City being the only larger metro areas. Gun laws already pretty good but are rapidly getting better. We'll have straight up constitutional carry soon enough, I predict.

Like Firefly said, we just ask that you be cool and don't bring any of the liberal silliness with you. All 77 counties have voted republican in the presidential race for the last two elections. Let me repeat...Mr O has NEVER won an Oklahoma county.

Not to mention, we get to go harass the Texans every year at their state fair. :)

(They do kick our asses occasionally)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
04-23-16, 11:43
Northern Arizona. You get the great gun laws without the obnoxious heat of the desert.

ABNAK
04-23-16, 11:53
I live on the coast - I've never seen one of these 'hurricanes'. Washington used to be a fantastic place, Seattle/Tacoma notwithstanding, until the great migration (from CA) began.

Now I can't even sell a firearm without Daddy's permission. Millennials come here in waves to smoke pot and learn about oppressed trans-womens' 'how to live with a penis as a female' studies.

I'm moving far away this winter.

ETA: I'd also like to add that I can no longer open carry without someone screaming at me, panicking and calling the police.

Anywhere that the ocean is actually of a temperature that you can't keep your beer drinkable by submersing it has hurricanes. Washington state's ocean would keep my long-neck Buds nice and cool!

ABNAK
04-23-16, 11:56
Northern Arizona. You get the great gun laws without the obnoxious heat of the desert.

There is something to be said for the beauty of the desert, at least the "high desert" Been out there once in my life (took my wife to "Dogtown" in southern Utah, just over the AZ border), and the beauty of it struck me. It's better than pics of it to see it in person.

Outlander Systems
04-23-16, 12:25
Georgia.
Texas.
North Carolina.
Wyoming.
Montana.

SteyrAUG
04-23-16, 12:53

But I draw the line at Bath Salt Zombies. And I heard there are folks down there doing Krokodil. Like that Soviet heroin that rots your limbs off. With all the dope they just hand out for free down there people are messing with something like that.

I couldn't live in AZ nor NM.
The Carolinas aren't bad. They still have Pizza Inn. There are only two Pizza Inns in Georgia and none are near me. But Pizza Inn rules.

And I agree. Once you're out of major cities Georgia is great unless you run afoul of good ol boys.

If we had constitutional carry and rolled back some of the more bizarre archaic laws; it'd be great. Lots of woods. Lots of gun stores. Great shopping in Atlanta. Passable DNR ranges. Make my day laws.

I mean you can just chill.

ETA if you're a fireman, and let everyone know you're a fireman,and wear a fireman t shirt, and drive a red truck then you won't have an issue with good ol boys. Especially if you are bald/shave head and have an "Oakley tan" where your whole face is red or tan but an M frame or Gascan pattern of untanned skin on your face.

That's mostly a Dade County thing. People everywhere else doing heroin like normal people.

26 Inf
04-23-16, 12:54

Minden/Gardnerville or Carson City, Nevada - average highs below 90, average year-round in the mid 60's.

Close to Lake Tahoe, close to ski resorts, what's not to like?

WillBrink
04-23-16, 13:07
Looking down the road at an exit strategy. My wife and I are looking at different states when I can retire (in 8-10yrs) and are starting to search for property. We are currently in CT and want to go somewhere where the weather and people are warmer. With the political climate being what it is up here almost anywhere is better. What states are the most liberty loving, friendly, good weather/climate, etc. I know it is very open ended and everyone's perspective is different but if you could pick up and move anywhere, where would you go, and why?

**Edit** Also, wherever we go we will want a decent sized piece of land, minimum 20+ acres or more depending on type of land. We prefer "green" and the wife will have some small hobby farm animals.

FL is ranked the "Freest" state in the nation. Based on criteria that may or may agree with your version of Liberty and freedom but but FYI:

The John Locke Foundation just published its First In Freedom Index, a report that compares and ranks the relative freedom of all fifty states.

The North Carolina-based think tank says it has an institutional commitment to “individual liberty and limited, constitutional government,” weighed four different variables to compile the rankings.

The most significant consideration was fiscal policy, which measures taxes and budgetary measures. This aspect generated 50 percent of each state’s score, with 20 percent given each to education and regulatory policies, and the final 10 percent to health care policy.

Here’s a graphic representation of the country:

Source:

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/02/254129-state-rank-first-freedom-index/

dmaxfireman
04-23-16, 13:26
FL is ranked the "Freest" state in the nation. Based on criteria that may or may agree with your version of Liberty and freedom but but FYI:

The John Locke Foundation just published its First In Freedom Index, a report that compares and ranks the relative freedom of all fifty states.

The North Carolina-based think tank says it has an institutional commitment to “individual liberty and limited, constitutional government,” weighed four different variables to compile the rankings.

The most significant consideration was fiscal policy, which measures taxes and budgetary measures. This aspect generated 50 percent of each state’s score, with 20 percent given each to education and regulatory policies, and the final 10 percent to health care policy.

Source:

Very helpful, thank you!

WillBrink
04-23-16, 13:31
Very helpful, thank you!

I just moved from People's Republic of MA to FL myself. So far so good. Per usual, pros/cons.

C-grunt
04-23-16, 15:00
Lots of places to live in Arizona that are not in the desert. Plus the beaches in California are only a few hours drive away.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-23-16, 15:24
You may like Kentucky. I grew up there, and it's not one of the states that you'd get stared at funny in the parking lot of wherever you do a ftf transaction. They rank in the top 5 gun friendliest states according to Guns & Ammo magazine. You have a nice mixture of flat farms, rolling hills, and big mountains. The fishing is great state wide (even in the winter). Hunting can be really good as well. The downsides are mainly jobs, drugs, and not many good hospitals. Places in the State of interest to people on this forum are: Knob Creek range, Buds Gun Shop, Centerfire Systems. Towns I have liked are Lexington, Winchester, & Somerset, and London.

I live in Ohio now, while its not as gun friendly as KY, it's coming around (Thanks to the buckeye firearms assn)

26 Inf
04-23-16, 17:07
You may like Kentucky. I grew up there, and it's not one of the states that you'd get stared at funny in the parking lot of wherever you do a ftf transaction. They rank in the top 5 gun friendliest states according to Guns & Ammo magazine. You have a nice mixture of flat farms, rolling hills, and big mountains. The fishing is great state wide (even in the winter). Hunting can be really good as well. The downsides are mainly jobs, drugs, and not many good hospitals. Places in the State of interest to people on this forum are: Knob Creek range, Buds Gun Shop, Centerfire Systems. Towns I have liked are Lexington, Winchester, & Somerset, and London.

I live in Ohio now, while its not as gun friendly as KY, it's coming around (Thanks to the buckeye firearms assn)

I would echo Somerset. Sister and husband moved there about 10 years ago, they love it.

GH41
04-23-16, 17:19

What's you budget for the land? Do you like ice cream? I ask because if you find reasonably priced rural property you won't be close enough to a store to get ice cream home before it melts! I love SC but to have any chance of having your cake and eating it is gonna set you back about 750K.

MountainRaven
04-23-16, 18:27

Best you can settle for?

2) Pro-gun

The closest I could figure based on my criteria was Oregon.

Criteria being: Liberal gun laws, mountains, ocean nearby, Mediterranean climate preferred. Every other state runs into issues, like not having mountains (East Coast), not having ocean (Rocky Mountain states from Montana and Idaho down to Arizona), having shitty gun laws (Washington and California), or gaining/losing more than an hour of sunlight every month (Alaska, Maine).

Of course, then the problem is that Oregon has higher crime and higher unemployment than Montana, so... yeah.

As for red state/blue state, it actually varied from one news outlet to another from the 70s through to the 90s - and many outlets had the GOP in blue with the Dems in red (I think CNN was one of them, in fact). Then in the 2000s, it seems that everybody settled on red = GOP, blue = Dems. Which was about the time that everybody got on the whole red state/blue state thing. Before then, it wasn't really a 'thing'.

I can only think of one person I know who lives in Ohio because they want to. Everyone else is pretty much trapped there - or has moved out. Hell, I've heard it said that Ohio has produced more astronauts than any other state in the Union - because they wanted to get as far away from Ohio as possible.

What's you budget for the land? Do you like ice cream? I ask because if you find reasonably priced rural property you won't be close enough to a store to get ice cream home before it melts! I love SC but to have any chance of having your cake and eating it is gonna set you back about 750K.

Bah. Buy a cooler.

We used to have to drive 140-ish miles to get to the nearest Costco and we always made sure that we had a cooler for whatever ice cream, meat, dairy, and other frozen or refrigerated foods we wanted/needed in bulk. Never had a problem with it melting, even in the middle of July/August, when heat here can break 100ºF.

Alex V
04-23-16, 19:31
Hey, you could always take her to the beach in Kali! (I kid, I kid). Take a wetsuit though 'cause I'd wager the ocean is about as warm as NJ's!

You'd be surprised. The water here gets very warm in July and August.

Hank6046
04-23-16, 20:47

I second Kentucky. My fathers extended family lives there as well as my wife's aunt, I really like Louisville, I would move there in a heartbeat if the wife let me. Such a cool town, while I am not near retirement age at all, it just seems like such a friendly town especially toward us Yanks. The country is beautiful and while the pace (slower) might bother you at first, its refreshing. Not quite sure the costs of living, but basic costs are most likely cheaper than CT. Combine all this with Bourbon by a fire at night and it will win you over in no time.

ABNAK
04-23-16, 21:04
I spent the last 7 months in the Army at Ft. Knox and really liked KY. That said, go one state further south (TN) and the weather is a c-hair better with all the geographical and cost of living bennies without skipping the solid red status!

HighDesert
04-23-16, 22:16
Moved from NYC to AZ - lived there for 4 years (started our family there - 2 kids) and just moved to Charlotte, NC two months ago. Best decision ever.

AZ (Scottsdale/North Phoenix) was phenomenal, if you don't miss the trees, but they are just 2 hours North. It is the wild west gun culture wise and really is just tops. Very hot real estate market and more expensive than the east coast right now to get a nice place. Wound up missing family on the east coast too much and **** is it hot in the summer, especially with 2 young kids. We had ice pack thjngamajingies for the car seats.

Moved to Charlotte (South Charlotte) and its just amazing. Decent gun laws, phenomenal weather, low cost of living and you can get a forever home for 400k. I am sold on this place and we will be setting our roots here.

I would say you will be very satisfied with AZ or NC and baste your choice on proximity to family. The 5 hour flight to NY got old real fast when we lived in AZ.. NC is 1.5 hours and cheap, or an overnight drive.

PM me if you have questions.

PatrioticDisorder
04-23-16, 22:29
That's mostly a Dade County thing. People everywhere else doing heroin like normal people.

Not to burst your bubble but the only krokodil cases I've heard of where in Broward, not Dade.

sandsunsurf
04-23-16, 23:08
2) Pro-gun

I hate to give away the secret, but I guess having more M4C members move here can't be bad...

Northern NV.

1) great weather. 4 seasons with some snow and some 100° days, but mostly in between. Sunny over 300 days.

2) easy ccw, NFA friendly

3) red other than Lost Wages (Las Vegas)

4) Reno has all the shopping you could ever need. Not super classy when it comes to five star dining, but not bad

5) pretty decent cost of living. The calculators online seem to show it being average, but it's cheaper than avg

And it's only a few hours drive to the beach if you really need the ocean. There are lakes and streams and mountains and desert all nearby. It's a great place for outdoor recreation.

No state income tax.

Benito
04-24-16, 00:44
There is no such thing as the most free state in the nation (not anymore anyways), just the least not free. Tons of unconstitutional laws are in place in even the better states.

elephant
04-24-16, 01:01
I would say Dallas Texas, Houston Texas or San Antonio Texas, here is why: We are #1, we are the best, the brightest, the smartest, the most intelligent and above all we have more Fortune 500 companies than any other state. We have the highest success rate and the lowest failure rate in America for small businesses. Our GDP is $1.6 Trillion so in that regards, we are #2 right behind California, but who cares about them. But that is 27 Million Texans vs. 41 million Liberals. Our gun laws are more chill in Texas and no income tax, you pay property tax and sales tax only.

A little romantic history of our great state.

Texas or Teysha which means "friends" in Caddoan, spoken by the Hasinai Indians was discovered in 1519 by Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, an adventurer, explorer and conquistador from Spain. Teysha was settled by Spanish settlers but it wasn't until René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, a French privateer and explorer colonized the southern basin in 1685 when his expedition group migrated west of the Mississippi river and built the first mission near Brownsville. The French colonist constructed as many as 30 missions in the southern basin and made many friends with the 15 different Indian tribes living in Teysha at the time. It wasn't until 1716 that the Mexicans responded to the French colonization and captured most of those missions, reclaimed most of the land and renamed the territory "Tejas". After the failed colonization by the French, Spain came up with a plan to settle Tejas but Mexico had just won its independence with Spain. The Mexicans claimed most of the territory up into modern day Kansas and Colorado. A few pioneers from the original 13 colonies came to Tejas to find new life and to peruse a new beginning. I don't know the rest of the story but some shit went down in Goliad, and then that thing at the Alamo and in the end we ended up killing a bunch of Mexicans in a little place called San Jacinto and called this place "The Republic of Texas", we later joined the rest of the US in 1845 and remained the bedrock of the entire US economy and a staple of American Tradition and Values.

Top businesses in Texas:

Dallas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_in_the_Dallas%E2%80%93Fort_Worth_metroplex

Houston:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_in_Houston

San Antonio:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Companies_based_in_San_Antonio,_Texas

TacticalSledgehammer
04-24-16, 02:58
I can only think of one person I know who lives in Ohio because they want to. Everyone else is pretty much trapped there - or has moved out. Hell, I've heard it said that Ohio has produced more astronauts than any other state in the Union - because they wanted to get as far away from Ohio as possible.

It is a shit-hole here and if my job wasn't in Cincinnati I would have stayed in KY. The women up here like country boys, so I'm okay with that. I'll move back one day. Hell Louisville may be in my future with the way things at work are going.

Moose-Knuckle
04-24-16, 03:39
Georgia if you like superstitious blue laws in the country and overbearing city government in more built up areas.

Until 1985 you couldn't buy things like pots and pans, knives, nails, and washing machines on Sundays here. While those blue laws have been repealed we still have two on the books. You cannot purchase liquor on Sundays and car dealerships cannot be open on consecutive weekend days. But you can go to any grocery store or stop-&-rob and buy all the wine and beer you want.

Makes a lot of sense don't it? :suicide:

Also liquor is county by county for the most part here. Many counties are voting that were traditionally dry to now wet. Costco sells liquor here now depending on the county but I have not seen a Wal-Mart/Sam's that does. Additionally, customers must leave at 9 p.m., even if they aren’t finished shopping, and Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission workers (think EG Stasi) can issue tickets to employees who complete sales after the store closes. I was happily surprised when I walked into the Super Walmart Center in downtown Honolulu and they had whole aisles devoted to particular spirits and I was shocked that I could pick up a bottle of say Ketel One cheaper than I could at a package store here in TX. But **** HI, they don't like my guns.

We have bills introduced from time to time to do away with the non-sense all together.

But then we go and embarrass ourselves with stupid $h*t like this . . .

Ted Cruz Defended Texas Ban on the Sale of Sex Toys in State

Defending a Texas state law banning the sale of sex toys, Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz argued in a 2007 court brief that individuals have no legal right to use them, even in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

Joanne Webb, a 43-year-old mother of three and former fifth-grade teacher, was arrested in 2003 after selling a sex toy to an undercover police officer during a gathering of adult couples similar to a Tupperware party held at a home in a Fort Worth suburb.

Though the criminal charges against Webb were eventually dropped, a collection of sex-toy companies sued in federal court to challenge the constitutionality of the state's ban.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/ted-cruz-defended-texas-ban-sale-sex-toys-38429534

The State of Texas argued that the state has the right to regulate morality: "The state also argued in a brief that Texas has legitimate “morality based” reasons for the laws, which include “discouraging prurient interests in autonomous sex and the pursuit of sexual gratification unrelated to procreation.”"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_obscenity_statute

Speaking of free states, here is an interesting graph created by an LGBT rights blogger here.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1564/26517231402_d88eca3c50_z.jpg

:lol: :suicide:

Moose-Knuckle
04-24-16, 03:56

I swear, your like my brother from another mother.

First it was childhood movies, then 80's post-punk, and now this!

Pizza Inn does rule, best pizza bar none. Their New York pan crust is worth knifing a dude over IMHO. And their sauce!!!

We use to go there when I was knee high to an M1919, order a pitcher . . . yes by allah a pitcher of Dr. Pepper with a large pie. They're still a few around but most have closed down that were close to me.

elephant
04-24-16, 03:59
Speaking of free states, here is an interesting graph created by an LGBT rights blogger here.

I know my great-great grand father, Brickwall Ezra Sherman Reed, did NOT pack his family's shit up in Elgin Scotland and sail for 3 months across the freezing Atlantic to the new world and settle in Virginia in 1829 only to loose his farm in 1832, and then migrate his whole family through miles and miles of heavily armed Indians to the Republic of Texas in 1835 to find home in Kaufman Texas for me to own a maximum of 6 FVCKING DILDOS!!!! I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!

Moose-Knuckle
04-24-16, 04:07
I like Oklahoma. Super low cost of living, land isn't a problem, with T-town and Ok City being the only larger metro areas. Gun laws already pretty good but are rapidly getting better. We'll have straight up constitutional carry soon enough, I predict.

Like Firefly said, we just ask that you be cool and don't bring any of the liberal silliness with you. All 77 counties have voted republican in the presidential race for the last two elections. Let me repeat...Mr O has NEVER won an Oklahoma county.

Not to mention, we get to go harass the Texans every year at their state fair. :)

The wife and I actually talk about buying land up there and retiring one day. My FIL owns a lake house there, we were out on his boat on the 4th of July several years back and could count the number of boats on the lake on two hands. Down here it's in the f'n thousands.

I don't like the 3.2% beer law. Not really a problem as I could just dip down South for my Shiner Bock. When we go to the in-law's lake house I feel like Smokey and The Bandit running state lines with real beer lol.

Wife has a good friend who's family owns land outside of McAlester, attended his wedding there and thought I was in the TX Hill Country for a minute. Beautiful country.

Moose-Knuckle
04-24-16, 04:13
What's you budget for the land? Do you like ice cream? I ask because if you find reasonably priced rural property you won't be close enough to a store to get ice cream home before it melts!

As Fjallhrafn said, use a cooler. It's so hot here, not a dry heat either mind you, I swim in ball soup about eleven months out of the year. During the hotter months we take a cooler with ice for cold items. Whole Foods (based out of Austin) even provides the ice for cold items.

Moose-Knuckle
04-24-16, 04:16
I know my great-great grand father, Brickwall Ezra Sherman Reed, did NOT pack his family's shit up in Elgin Scotland and sail for 3 months across the freezing Atlantic to the new world and settle in Virginia in 1829 only to loose his farm in 1832, and then migrate his whole family through miles and miles of heavily armed Indians to the Republic of Texas in 1835 to find home in Kaufman Texas for me to own a maximum of 6 FVCKING DILDOS!!!! I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!

LOL IRL, well at least we got it better than those poor SOB's in AZ that are only allowed two per household!

I think we're going to see those laws go away sooner than later or simply not enforced all together.

The state is even backing down on booze after that TABC raid on a gay bar in Ft. Worth a few years back lol.

TABC: Sorry, Gay Bar Raid Was Big Mistake

The controversial raid of a Fort Worth gay bar was unjustified, the state agents involved violated policy, and their supervisor resigned last week amid an internal investigation, the chief of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission told a newspaper.

TABC administrator Alan Steen also apologized for the raid and said the two state agents and seven police officers who showed up with a paddy wagon for "an inspection" on June 28 likely constituted an excessive show of force, the Dallas Voice reported Thursday.

City attorneys this week released a detailed police report on the raid, which claims several patrons groped, blew kisses at officers and resisted arrest during the raid.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/TABC-Sorry-Gay-Bar-Raid-Was-Big-Mistake.html

JC5188
04-24-16, 05:00
The wife and I actually talk about buying land up there and retiring one day. My FIL owns a lake house there, we were out on his boat on the 4th of July several years back and could count the number of boats on the lake on two hands. Down here it's in the f'n thousands.

I don't like the 3.2% beer law. Not really a problem as I could just dip down South for my Shiner Bock. When we go to the in-law's lake house I feel like Smokey and The Bandit running state lines with real beer lol.

Wife has a good friend who's family owns land outside of McAlester, attended his wedding there and thought I was in the TX Hill Country for a minute. Beautiful country.

We're Texas north, really. (Don't tell them I said that). I grew up 30 miles from Texas, so yeah...beer runs have been on my radar since high school.

It's a nice place, especially if you like privacy. You can still get your "cosmopolitan" on if you want to go to Okc. Not to the extent of a NYC obviously, but...can't have everything.

A 600 yd rifle range is literally no more than 40 mins outside either the two larger cities. No stupid shit to worry about...people being paranoid or whatever. Sometimes I'll just throw one in the front seat and head that way. People open carrying, if anybody reacts at all, it's usually just an eye roll.

Laid back. Like most of Tejas...

Alex V
04-24-16, 09:56
Pizza Inn does rule, best pizza bar none. Their New York pan crust is worth knifing a dude over IMHO. And their sauce!!!

Dude... Really?

If you ever loose your mind and come up to NY/NJ you will see what pizza is supposed to taste like. :-) It's the only good thing about this crappy ass state.

Averageman
04-24-16, 10:27
As my career in the Military was coming to a close I was assigned to Fort Hood. Being that this was my second assignment here I decided to settle in, in Central Texas.
I moved to one of the smaller rural towns that made my daily trip to work a bit longer, but it was bearable. People here are a bit cautious at first, but open up and are very friendly when appropriate amounts of BBQ and Beer are well applied. You'll make friends, good ones here rather quickly.
Lots of Church's and Private Gun Clubs. Small festivals and activities to do, so you'll likely never be bored. This area is slowly turning in to Wine Country if you're in to that.
I'm about half way between Austin and Waco, so there are things to do and a local airport allows me to hop a shuttle to Houston, Dallas or Austin and catch an International flight from there.
It's not hard to find tracts of undeveloped land where you could put up a nice house, barn and even raise a few cattle for the freezer.
Kind of a modern day Mayberry. You will find equal parts intellectuals and oddballs here, but it never gets old.

Oh, if you do set up house here, let me tell you, this is like the epicenter of lawn care, I have no idea why, but your Lawn is going to end up looking like a Golf Course or your neighbors will think you're a slacker.

Turnkey11
04-24-16, 18:44
Wyoming or South Dakota.

Turnkey11
04-24-16, 18:56
Elgin Scotland

I'm pretty certain it was Flanagans in Elgin that I got ran out of on gay night, beer was cheap!

Outlander Systems
04-24-16, 19:08
New York pizza. Because, everything else is total bullshit.

You couldn't pay me to eat Papa Johns, Dominos, or ::vomit:: Little Caesars.

What some people consider pizza, I wouldn't feed my dog.

Dude... Really?

If you ever loose your mind and come up to NY/NJ you will see what pizza is supposed to taste like. :-) It's the only good thing about this crappy ass state.

Arik
04-24-16, 19:14

With so many Russians in the NE Philadelphia and Bucks County I'm surprised you're not here already! Still in the same area, better taxes, better gun laws, no ****ing roundabouts or random jughandles, and the shore is only slightly further away
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Alex V
04-24-16, 19:58
With so many Russians in the NE Philadelphia and Bucks County I'm surprised you're not here already! Still in the same area, better taxes, better gun laws, no ****ing roundabouts or random jughandles, and the shore is only slightly further away

That would be for my parents. Not me. I only speak Russian with my parents/grandparents, married to an American born Italian girl. I don't feel much nastalgia to be around other Russian speaking people so that's not really a requirement for me.

I fear by the time we are ready to move, PA might be lost. Too many asshats from NY/NJ and Bloomberg's money ruining the state. I hope I'm wrong.

ABNAK
04-24-16, 20:48
That would be for my parents. Not me. I only speak Russian with my parents/grandparents, married to an American born Italian girl. I don't feel much nastalgia to be around other Russian speaking people so that's not really a requirement for me.

I fear by the time we are ready to move, PA might be lost. Too many asshats from NY/NJ and Bloomberg's money ruining the state. I hope I'm wrong.

"Go south [or southwest of where you are] young man!" ;)

Leuthas
04-24-16, 21:59
New York pizza. Because, everything else is total bullshit.

You can't bash another state's pizza and use national fast-food style pizza as an example!

I've been around, and the best pizza I've ever had comes from a small Hawaiian BBQ here in town. New York pizza reminds me of tacos.

26 Inf
04-24-16, 21:59
Until 1985 you couldn't buy things like pots and pans, knives, nails, and washing machines on Sundays here. While those blue laws have been repealed we still have two on the books. You cannot purchase liquor on Sundays and car dealerships cannot be open on consecutive weekend days. But you can go to any grocery store or stop-&-rob and buy all the wine and beer you want.

Makes a lot of sense don't it?

Yep, that was back when we still had the vestiges of being a Christian Nation.

Well, I'm kinda thinking Iowa might be right - one kiss 5-minutes - ever stop to think they might be trying to legislate, "hey, don't just kiss, procreate, that's what makes Iowa a great state." I mean really, 5 minutes? If you aren't on to something else by then, you might as well just go home and practice prostrate health in the shower.

And, seriously, lewd behavior in public shouldn't be condoned regardless of marital status.

Jer
04-24-16, 22:27
Two pages and nobody mentions Idaho in a free state thread and only one mention of Wyoming? Interesting.

Zane1844
04-24-16, 22:31
Two pages and nobody mentions Idaho in a free state thread and only one mention of Wyoming? Interesting.

What about Wisconsin? Gun laws are great, switch blades were just made legal, cost of living is not bad, and it is a beautiful state.

RazorBurn
04-24-16, 23:56

Source:

I've lived in West Virginia all my life and I love it. I honestly don't get how they rank West Virginia so badly. Especially with the high regulatory ranking. I understand the educational and health care rankings. We have constitutional and open carry, broad CCW resprocity, and we're very NFA friendly too. Four seasons with none of them being overly bad. Great hunting and fishing, decent public shooting ranges, and especially the further south in West Virginia you get a more laid back small town feel. Land is pretty cheap in bulk and plentiful. Cost of living isn't too bad, but the hardest part is finding good jobs. To reach any big cities you do have to be prepared to drive 3 to 5 hours, and the beach is 6 hours away. Tennessee, and North Carolina are nice too. Once you get further south than that you get into the much hotter and humid weather especially during the summer months.

Firefly
04-25-16, 00:05
Look man, I'm not trying to diss on nobody but they made Deliverance about where I live and WV kinda gives me pause what with the feuding, and the 15 year old grandmothers with dentures, and the revenuers.

It's almost as bad as Alabama. Who has another governor probably about to go to jail.

But tis all in good fun.

titsonritz
04-25-16, 00:58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And no sales tax if you are a veteran.

JC5188
04-25-16, 04:05
And no sales tax if you are a veteran.

Yup there's that too...

JusticeM4
04-25-16, 04:28

Bath Salt incidents are being blown way out of proportion. Its really not a problem in the majority of the state and is more of an isolated occurence in certain cities (South FL).

Source:

Good info/link.

I know everyone craps on FL, but its really not that bad. You hear the worst things in the news (where else), but if you live here and know where the good parts are its actually a decent place to live. Low cost of living, good weather, beaches everywhere. People joke that its where people go to die, but people die anywhere and everywhere, not just FL; people make it sound like seniors don't die in other states. FL is just an easier place to live due to the cost of living and tolerable weather.

There is no such thing as the most free state in the nation (not anymore anyways), just the least not free. Tons of unconstitutional laws are in place in even the better states.

Well, there is such a place as the most-restrictive state. I'd want to live opposite of that as much as possible. Statistics say that is NY state, but NJ is also pretty bad.

As far as recommendations for the OP, Florida/Arizona/Texas/Georgia are all good options.

Scoby
04-25-16, 05:04

But cost of living is relatively low (ish), and the gun laws are great. Crime is on a bit of an uptick, and in a lot of metro areas you will likely a minority.
But there's an international airport if you feel like you need to go to Amsterdam or something for a month. Florida is a few hours drive.
The ghettoness and redneckery can be irritating at times but overall, it's not bad.

I debate moving out west and living in a shack off the grid, but being firmly ensconced in the Empire State of the Confederacy guarantees that at least I don't have to put up with gun laws.
Plus a lot of my favorite bands always play here.

But if you move here just be cool. That's all anyone asks.
Seriously, just be cool about it.

This pretty much sums up Georgia's neighbor to the east, South Carolina. Great place to live.

Scoby
04-25-16, 05:16

$750,000 you say. What would you expect to get for that large a sum? A working plantation?

We have 100 acres and a 3,000 sf house and don't have near that in it. Bought it in 1996. Granted, it was a turn of the century farm house that I put many hours into renovating.

Just down the road from us is a decent house with five acres for $140,000. There is another 60 acres adjoining it (same owner that is in a nursing home) for another $140,000.

You can find what you are looking for it just takes a little foot work.

Good luck!

svtpwnz
04-25-16, 07:59
$750,000 you say. What would you expect to get for that large a sum? A working plantation?

We have 100 acres and a 3,000 sf house and don't have near that in it. Bought it in 1996. Granted, it was a turn of the century farm house that I put many hours into renovating.

Just down the road from us is a decent house with five acres for $140,000. There is another 60 acres adjoining it (same owner that is in a nursing home) for another $140,000.

Good luck!

I was thinking the same. $750k would damn near buy a plantation here. Unless your looking at Mt Pleasant or Hilton Head, the rural areas have land available for far far less. This is a great place to live and considering the growth pace, still has a smaller home town feel. Florida, beaches and mountains are accessible within a very reasonable drive. I live just outside of Charleston in Summerville. Myrtle Beach and HH are 1 1/2 hours, Charlotte is roughly 2 1/2 hours and the mountains are about 3 1/2 hours away. winters here are very mild but the summers can be brutal. We don't get any snow here unless you go towards the upstate.

I would consider SC to be a pretty free state for sure and firearm laws are very good and getting better. We have a bill currently in the house to ban any new federal firearms bans and NFA items are GTG. No mag bans of any sort and plenty of places to shoot.

Arik
04-25-16, 08:41

I don't mind not having Ruskies around but I couldn't leave the food!

I don't really see that many NY/NJ expats. I don't even count NJ since most of those people have families on both sides and move back and forth anyway. Philadelphia has always been liberal with democratic mayors. It's a major city and that's nothing new for large cities but they've never done much when it came to 2A. In fact, about a year ago Philadelphia made it easier to get a carry permit.

HCrum87hc
04-25-16, 09:14
I also have to go with SC. I'm in the upstate smack dab between Atlanta and Charlotte, each about 1.5-2 hours away, although there's nothing I need that I can't find in Greenville. We have lakes galore, are 30 minutes from the mountains, and 3.5 hours from the beach. Your money also goes a long way here. I've watched those home buying shows before and gawked at what you had to spend in some parts of the country just for a 3 BD/ 2 BA home when you could buy a 3000 sq ft home here with a bit of land for less. My wife and I lived in Beaufort (I'm sure a few of you are familiar with Paris Island) between Charleston and Hilton Head for 3 years and also enjoyed that part of the state. It is a bit more left leaning, and the cost of living and realty is a tad higher, but you can't beat the view and the outdoor recreation opportunities. Overall, gun laws are good and have steadily been getting better. The summers can be pretty humid, but we do have a few days of snow during our shorter winters, but it's enough to scratch the snow itch us southerners get every year.

JoshNC
04-25-16, 09:18

Charlotte is a great place. NC unfortunately has become more purple due to the influx of libs to work in Research Triangle Park (Raleigh/Durham areas), banking (Charlotte), and the three major universities in Chapel Hill (UNC), Durham (Duke), and Raleigh (NC State). Then add the liberals who want to live in the "little Berkley's" of Chapel Hill/Carborro and Asheville.

With that said, we have excellent gun laws, low cost of living, and a great climate. There are many great places to shoot.

Re: other options:
- TN. Very conservative, low cost of living, beautiful natural scenery, mild climate, great gun laws. Stay away from Memphis. No state income tax.
- WY. Very conservative. Low cost of living, many places to shoot. Great skiing. Downside is that many parts of the state lack trees, very very high winds (constant), and the nicest areas are expensive and have had an influx of liberals.
- NE. Very conservative. Low cost of living, many places to shoot. Downside is lack of trees and landlocked.
- UT. Will stay conservative due to Mormons. Great skiing. Downsides are some strange Mormon laws and landlocked.
- OK. Very conservative. Downsides are that it is landlocked and the threat of tornados concerns me.
- SC. Overall great, but a very large population of FSA types on the gov dole. Could portend to a sweep toward democrats if those voters mobilized.

Alex, with your criteria I recommend Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, or Raleigh, NC.

chuckman
04-25-16, 09:33
Charlotte is a great place. NC unfortunately has become more purple due to the influx of libs to work in Research Triangle Park (Raleigh/Durham areas), banking (Charlotte), and the three major universities in Chapel Hill (UNC), Durham (Duke), and Raleigh (NC State). Then add the liberals who want to live in the "little Berkley's" of Chapel Hill/Carborro and Asheville.

With that said, we have excellent gun laws, low cost of living, and a great climate. There are many great places to shoot.

Ah, yes, the I-85 corridor. Get outside the areas mentioned above, it gets rural and conservative. Down east, love it.

Alex V
04-25-16, 10:01

Good luck!

If I could find that within 30/45 min commute to a large metropolitan area ie Charlotte, that would be my wet dream. The ultimate goal is an old plantation home/farm house with 10 acres or so. Gut the house, design the interior I like, but in a bunch of large windows, contemporary finishes inside. Ugh. Sploosh!

To be able to set up a small pit and shoot on my own property in the evening after work would be heaven.

Alex V
04-25-16, 10:04
I was thinking the same. $750k would damn near buy a plantation here. Unless your looking at Mt Pleasant or Hilton Head, the rural areas have land available for far far less. This is a great place to live and considering the growth pace, still has a smaller home town feel. Florida, beaches and mountains are accessible within a very reasonable drive. I live just outside of Charleston in Summerville. Myrtle Beach and HH are 1 1/2 hours, Charlotte is roughly 2 1/2 hours and the mountains are about 3 1/2 hours away. winters here are very mild but the summers can be brutal. We don't get any snow here unless you go towards the upstate.

I would consider SC to be a pretty free state for sure and firearm laws are very good and getting better. We have a bill currently in the house to ban any new federal firearms bans and NFA items are GTG. No mag bans of any sort and plenty of places to shoot.

I'll look past that you're a mustang guy. My wife's friend's parents moved to Summerville. They came from NJ and opened up a pizzeria in Charleston. Summerville is on the top of our list to move to because its 30min +/- from Charleston and I think I can get a good job there.

Alex V
04-25-16, 10:08
I don't mind not having Ruskies around but I couldn't leave the food!

Meh. Other than the cold cuts and oливье, I am okay without it.

Alex, with your criteria I recommend Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, or Raleigh, NC.

My friends moved to High Point and I would visit them a lot. I loved it there.

Arik
04-25-16, 10:13
Oh hell no! I'd miss my Taranka, ikra, selodka, lox, 5000 different cold cuts, pickled tomatoes, pickled watermelons....the list can go on for pages

Alex V
04-25-16, 10:45
Oh hell no! I'd miss my Taranka, ikra, selodka, lox, 5000 different cold cuts, pickled tomatoes, pickled watermelons....the list can go on for pages

tranaka can be sent through the mail, nothing can hurt it lol so can ikra, red caviar comes in metal tins, so its okay. I am not about to spend $259 on 150grams of black. Selodka is nasty dude. Lox is the same everywhere. I only like nevskaya colbasa, the other 4999 I am not a fan of. Yes, the pickled tomatoes are a problem. Pickeled watermelon is gross dude. Every time my family puts it out on the table I gag.

svtpwnz
04-25-16, 10:51
I'll look past that you're a mustang guy. My wife's friend's parents moved to Summerville. They came from NJ and opened up a pizzeria in Charleston. Summerville is on the top of our list to move to because its 30min +/- from Charleston and I think I can get a good job there.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/honkonthree/41A3199E-5AFB-489E-AA30-AEB50DF175F3_zps4roqjoq7.jpg (http://s464.photobucket.com/user/honkonthree/media/41A3199E-5AFB-489E-AA30-AEB50DF175F3_zps4roqjoq7.jpg.html)

I won't hold it against you that your not a mustang guy. LOL! What is the name of their pizza place? I will say there is a lot of amazing food to be had here without a doubt. One of my favorites is a little place in Summerville called Red Pepper. I could eat there every day and not get tired of it. The food is always garden fresh and phenomenal. There are so many local mom and pop eateries here and many are very good.

JC5188
04-25-16, 11:27

Re: other options:
- TN. Very conservative, low cost of living, beautiful natural scenery, mild climate, great gun laws. Stay away from Memphis. No state income tax.
- WY. Very conservative. Low cost of living, many places to shoot. Great skiing. Downside is that many parts of the state lack trees, very very high winds (constant), and the nicest areas are expensive and have had an influx of liberals.
- NE. Very conservative. Low cost of living, many places to shoot. Downside is lack of trees and landlocked.
- UT. Will stay conservative due to Mormons. Great skiing. Downsides are some strange Mormon laws and landlocked.
- OK. Very conservative. Downsides are that it is landlocked and the threat of tornados concerns me.
- SC. Overall great, but a very large population of FSA types on the gov dole. Could portend to a sweep toward democrats if those voters mobilized.

Ok is landlocked re: saltwater. We have a shitload of large lakes. Eufaula, Texoma, and Grand Lake O' The Cherokees are large enough you can't see land across them in many spots. Hell, from our side of Texoma, when you DO see the other side of the shore, it's Texas.

I was in Naples Florida for awhile. My brother lived there for over a year. When I'd visit, we were less than a mile from the public beach, and it was always super crowded. Lots of money and beautiful women, but I'll take a lake setting all day.

Just thought I'd throw that in there...

As far as tornadoes, well...we're 0 for 1 so far. My brother and sister in law had a close call.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160425/855d9066f4cfb8b687123cac44becf2f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160425/8a2372c2e03caaf285c2ff1041e074c5.jpg

brickboy240
04-25-16, 11:35
As one that has lived through many hurricanes...being located near the ocean is over rated! LOL

Texas suits me fine.

Lots of jobs, pretty pro-gun and you can afford land and housing here.

No snow to shovel, either.

t1tan
04-25-16, 11:38
http://freedominthe50states.org

Pretty generalized, but can break it down and reorganize the list based on many different criteria.

Arik
04-25-16, 11:58
. Selodka is nasty dude. Pickeled watermelon is gross dude. Every time my family puts it out on the table I gag.

Sir, you should be ashamed of yourself. :D Forgot to add Salo and Krovanka (blood sausage).

Anyway, when it comes to PA your license to carry and NFA, if any, are handled by the county Sheriff. Pa is shall issue so there isn't a problem regardless of where you live and in most cases takes a few minutes to a few days depending on circumstances. NFA is a little different. Some sheriffs don't like to sign off. Bucks Co, where I reside, the sheriff is pro 2A. Just come in and he signs no questions asked. Montgomery County .....well that Sheriff is a bit different. Much more of a hassle

Alex V
04-25-16, 13:39
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/honkonthree/41A3199E-5AFB-489E-AA30-AEB50DF175F3_zps4roqjoq7.jpg (http://s464.photobucket.com/user/honkonthree/media/41A3199E-5AFB-489E-AA30-AEB50DF175F3_zps4roqjoq7.jpg.html)

I won't hold it against you that your not a mustang guy. LOL! What is the name of their pizza place? I will say there is a lot of amazing food to be had here without a doubt. One of my favorites is a little place in Summerville called Red Pepper. I could eat there every day and not get tired of it. The food is always garden fresh and phenomenal. There are so many local mom and pop eateries here and many are very good.

Sorry, I am a GM/LSx guy. The memes and video's of Mustang guys leaving car shows and taking out pedestrians and other cars are hysterical. I am told the Pizzeria is called "Italian Bistro II" in Knightsville?

Sir, you should be ashamed of yourself. :D Forgot to add Salo and Krovanka (blood sausage).

Okay, as a person born in Ukraine I will admit that I will miss the salo, but krovanka, dude... no way. :-D

Dienekes
04-25-16, 14:08
http://freedominthe50states.org

Pretty generalized, but can break it down and reorganize the list based on many different criteria.

It lists Wyoming in 36th place--based almost entirely on the fact that most of the economy is energy-based--and getting worse. Fact of life, due to a refusal to diversify the economy. A bad thing if you're looking for a great job and lavish lifestyle--but to rank ND (and I'm familiar with the place) as #1 and WY as #36 is nuts. Those rankings should be exactly reversed, the way I define freedom!

But--we do have Magpul, nuclear weapons, and lots of antelope. Having the lowest population of any state is a big plus, too!

MountainRaven
04-25-16, 14:09
tranaka can be sent through the mail, nothing can hurt it lol so can ikra, red caviar comes in metal tins, so its okay. I am not about to spend $259 on 150grams of black. Selodka is nasty dude. Lox is the same everywhere. I only like nevskaya colbasa, the other 4999 I am not a fan of. Yes, the pickled tomatoes are a problem. Pickeled watermelon is gross dude. Every time my family puts it out on the table I gag.

This.

Lox is pretty much a generic North Atlantic food, with at least three regional "recipes" for Canada, Scotland, and Scandinavia. I can buy lox from a small grocery store down the street.

Of course, I'm far from the only person of Scandinavian extraction in Montana, too, so....

It lists Wyoming in 36th place--based almost entirely on the fact that most of the economy is energy-based--and getting worse. Fact of life, due to a refusal to diversify the economy. A bad thing if you're looking for a great job and lavish lifestyle--but to rank ND (and I'm familiar with the place) as #1 and WY as #36 is nuts. Those rankings should be exactly reversed, the way I define freedom!

But--we do have Magpul and nuclear weapons. Having the lowest population of any state is a big plus, too!

Frankly, I think population density is a better metric than population. Rhode Island only has a couple of tens of thousands more people than Montana does - but RI's population density is 1021.6 people per square mile, compared to Montana's 7.1. Which number do you think is more important with regard to the state's population?

In which case, every state loses out badly to Alaska at 1.3 people per square mile (WY comes in second at 6.0 people per square mile).

:p

cbx
04-25-16, 15:04
Sshhhhh. We don't need anymore people here.

Actually as long as your not a retard liberal, come on in. Welcome mat is out for you folk.

sandsunsurf
04-25-16, 20:49
After reading these useful posts I think I need to visit SC. But I also want to add that NV has no tornado or hurricane threat. Earthquakes are a potential problem, but unlikely and also much less harmful. There is also a ton of public land to hunt, fish, camp, ride and shoot on.

Moose-Knuckle
04-26-16, 02:43
Dude... Really?

Yup . . . really.

Italians settled in other places throughout CONUS than just NY/NJ. The closest pizza parlor to my house is owned by four Italian-American brothers from Chicago. Now that is pizza!

Moose-Knuckle
04-26-16, 02:44

Don't forget the worst . . . Pizza Hut. :bad:

Moose-Knuckle
04-26-16, 02:52
Yep, that was back when we still had the vestiges of being a Christian Nation

That's cool and all if one practices said religion, and not all Christian denominations observe the Sabbath on Sundays.

But it shouldn't be a law.

So its a sin for a Christian to buy, sell, and or consume liquor on Sundays but not beer or wine . . . how about Mondays through Saturdays? (rhetorical question)

This all not to mention the whole car dealer thing.

Scoby
04-26-16, 04:49
If I could find that within 30/45 min commute to a large metropolitan area ie Charlotte, that would be my wet dream. The ultimate goal is an old plantation home/farm house with 10 acres or so. Gut the house, design the interior I like, but in a bunch of large windows, contemporary finishes inside. Ugh. Sploosh!

To be able to set up a small pit and shoot on my own property in the evening after work would be heaven.

I commute to Greenville everyday for work and it takes me about 45-50 minutes. I actually enjoy the drive for the most part.
I'd imagine that Charlotte is 10 times as big as Greenville but, I've always been able to find anything I needed in Greenville.
If I can't, Charlotte and Atlanta are just a two hour drive away.

JC5188
04-26-16, 05:26
Don't forget the worst . . . Pizza Hut. :bad:

Pizza Hut is disgusting. Pizza Hut isn't pizza anymore. Even their dough is frozen shit. They don't make anything fresh anymore.

Alex V
04-26-16, 06:11
Yup . . . really.

Italians settled in other places throughout CONUS than just NY/NJ. The closest pizza parlor to my house is owned by four Italian-American brothers from Chicago. Now that is pizza!

No, I get that. I've tasted pizza in other parts of the country, even when the store was owned by Italians. For some reason it's just not the same. I am told it may be the water, maybe.

I was never a fan of Chicago style pizza.

Pizza is probably the only think I'll miss when I leave NJ. Crazy Russian food aside.

WickedWillis
04-26-16, 13:46
Idaho, especially Northern Idaho is incredibly overlooked. One of the freest gun friendly states in the union, the cost of living is very reasonable. I am within 14 minutes of Washington's 2nd largest city, with an international airport, and an hour from Northwestern Montana. It's an outdoorsman's paradise, with hiking, hunting, fishing and other great outdoor activities and some of the most beautiful lakes in the country. I am also about 5 hours from Seattle and Portland if you need to get to an even larger city, that means the Washington coast as well.

26 Inf
04-26-16, 19:36
That's cool and all if one practices said religion, and not all Christian denominations observe the Sabbath on Sundays.

But it shouldn't be a law.

So its a sin for a Christian to buy, sell, and or consume liquor on Sundays but not beer or wine . . . how about Mondays through Saturdays? (rhetorical question)

This all not to mention the whole car dealer thing.

Not arguing here, just conversing :)

Our largest convenience and grocery chain are really pushing to allow liquor sales in grocery stores and also for Sunday sales. They got Sunday for beer. My view is that if you don't have your shit together enough to buy what booze you are going to need for Sunday, on Saturday, maybe you don't need to be drinking.

I do know a couple of liquor store owners, bringing that (liquor) into the grocery stores will pretty much kill them off. While the grocery and convenience stores won't necessarily add any jobs as a result of liquor sales, it will most certainly cost jobs as liquor stores go belly up. Additionally, once the liquor stores are gone in most communities, where are you going to get a nice bottle of wine, or a classic/rare single malt?

I also find it somewhat amusing that folks make a reference to not all folks practice Christianity, and note different Sabbaths, yet hold the views they hold on Islam, Immigrants, prayer in schools etc. Christianity is still the majority religion in the United States, and I have no problem with our society adhering to some aspects in our daily lives. That is just my opinion.

ETA: Just reread this and realize pretty far off track - lol.

henschman
04-26-16, 19:41
The Free State Project looked into this exact question and came up with New Hampshire and Wyoming. They settled on New Hampshire. They are very close to reaching 20,000 signatures of people who agree that when the number is reached, they will all move there and exert maximum political influence to limit the role of government to, at most, the protection of life, liberty, and property.

NH has a lot of things going for it liberty-wise.

Leuthas
04-26-16, 19:42

Our largest convenience and grocery chain are really pushing to allow liquor sales in grocery stores and also for Sunday sales. They got Sunday for beer. My view is that if you don't have your shit together enough to buy what booze you are going to need for Sunday, on Saturday, maybe you don't need to be drinking.

I do know a couple of liquor store owners, bringing that (liquor) into the grocery stores will pretty much kill them off. While the grocery and convenience stores won't necessarily add any jobs as a result of liquor sales, it will most certainly cost jobs as liquor stores go belly up. Additionally, once the liquor stores are gone in most communities, where are you going to get a nice bottle of wine, or a classic/rare single malt?

I also find it somewhat amusing that folks make a reference to not all folks practice Christianity, and note different Sabbaths, yet hold the views they hold on Islam, Immigrants, prayer in schools etc. Christianity is still the majority religion in the United States, and I have no problem with our society adhering to some aspects in our daily lives. That is just my opinion.

ETA: Just reread this and realize pretty far off track - lol.

Washington recently transitioned from only having State-run liquor stores to allowing private liquor stores as well as allowing grocers to carry liquor, and I am in the liquor/wine/beer industry, and I know of no liquor stores which closed down as a result, across the three counties where I work.

ETA: The State-run stores were all shut down, but each of them was privately purchased and reopened.

titsonritz
04-26-16, 22:05
Pizza Hut is disgusting. Pizza Hut isn't pizza anymore. Even their dough is frozen shit. They don't make anything fresh anymore.

That nasty shit ain't pizza, I don't know what it is but it ain't pizza.

wildcard600
04-26-16, 22:18
The Free State Project looked into this exact question and came up with New Hampshire and Wyoming. They settled on New Hampshire. They are very close to reaching 20,000 signatures of people who agree that when the number is reached, they will all move there and exert maximum political influence to limit the role of government to, at most, the protection of life, liberty, and property.

NH has a lot of things going for it liberty-wise.

Meh. I lived in NH, IMO it was like New York lite.

Taxes are outrageous, real estate prices are a joke, firearms laws are almost universally better in neighboring VT, and getting a car registered is nearly as expensive as paying sales tax on it every year. I moved back to VT after a year.

EDIT - dont forget all the Massholes and New Yorkers who move there and want to make it just like the shithole they just left.

MountainRaven
04-26-16, 22:36
My view is that if you don't have your shit together enough to buy what guns and ammo you are going to need for Sunday, on Saturday, maybe you don't need to be shooting.

Still feel that way?

Moose-Knuckle
04-27-16, 03:51

As am I.

Let's look at it from a gun guy's perspective. What if a law was passed where you could buy and sell 9mm and .40 S&W on Saturdays (typically busiest range days) but not .45 ACP, how would that make a lick of sense?

The county in which I reside voted to become wet a couple of years ago. The liquor stores that moved in are really high end and employ quit a few people. I have no problem going to them but don't see what the fuss would be if say Wal-Mart could compete with them. Even though you can purchase cigars in many convenience stores they don't put the cigar shops out of business. If anything internet sales are their stiffest competition.

I also find it somewhat amusing that folks make a reference to not all folks practice Christianity, and note different Sabbaths, yet hold the views they hold on Islam, Immigrants, prayer in schools etc.

I don't know if you are referring to me with that but if you are, to date I have never commented on prayer in school on this forum. And I don't think you would like it very much if muslims were to overtake your area, sharia law was mandated, and their version of morality is forced upon you and your's.

Christianity is still the majority religion in the United States, and I have no problem with our society adhering to some aspects in our daily lives.

I don't have a problem with that either, what I have a problem with is government legislating their version of morality which directly affects commerce, the exchange of goods, and individual liberty. Chik-Fil-A is closed on Sundays as the founders and owners of the corporation are evangelical Christians. That is their company policy and I have absolutely no problem with that. But I don't think the state legislature should force them to be closed on Sundays via the rule of law.

JC5188
04-27-16, 05:33
Meh. I lived in NH, IMO it was like New York lite.

Taxes are outrageous, real estate prices are a joke, firearms laws are almost universally better in neighboring VT, and getting a car registered is nearly as expensive as paying sales tax on it every year. I moved back to VT after a year.

EDIT - dont forget all the Massholes and New Yorkers who move there and want to make it just like the shithole they just left.

Massholes...Lol. I love learning regional insults people have for each other. That's a good one.

26 Inf
04-27-16, 10:13
Still feel that way?

Yes - but only because I am generally not in favor of Sunday business hours.

WillBrink
04-27-16, 10:23
Massholes...Lol. I love learning regional insults people have for each other. That's a good one.

That's what we call 'em and one of various reasons I'm not in MA.

brickboy240
04-27-16, 10:35
The large number of license plates from NY. CA and IL that I see on Houston's freeways these days has me worried.

They have ruined their states and cannot find jobs there or houses they can afford...so now they come here and will vote liberal and probably ruin OUR state some day.

....nice

WillBrink
04-27-16, 10:46
The large number of license plates from NY. CA and IL that I see on Houston's freeways these days has me worried.

They have ruined their states and cannot find jobs there or houses they can afford...so now they come here and will vote liberal and probably ruin OUR state some day.

....nice

That's what they have done - or trying to do - to VT, NH, and ME coming from MA and NY. When I move to a state, I'm moving there to embrace and enjoy what that state has to offer, not to change it to the state I left.

When I first went to Panama, the expats would tell me where all the expats hung out. I'd tell them I didn't come all that way from the US to hang out with expats, I came to enjoy the people and culture of Panama. I never went to a expat hangout yet.

THCDDM4
04-27-16, 11:01

....nice

You should ABSOLUTELY be worried. Ask me how I know- I'm from Colorado. NY, CA, IL license plates are getting all too prevalent, all the idiots from those states and a lot of TX liberals have moved here in droves and us conservative types are having a hard time balancing the scales.

I'm to the point I straight up tell them to go home when I hear them bitching about our more expensive registration and licensing fees for driving (Weather is so hot then cold constantly/road work is WAY more expensive here dumbasses!), complaining that people are ALLOWED to carry guns on them, how the Denver night life is so drab compared to LA, NY, ETC. LEAVE COLORADO AND GO PHUCKING HOME ASSHOLES!!!!!

I'm getting so sick of it. All the loser hippy teens and twenty somethings begging for weed money on every corner- in perfectly good shape to work, but just wasting away living off of dolts who feel bad for them (Liberals) for some reason. All the posh "I'm better than this shitty state and its people" attitudes from metropolitan morons who look down on anything that isn't LA or NY trendy.

People move here and then sport Colorado flag shirts and stickers all over themselves and vehicles like jack-asses thinking that makes them fit in. Guess what dickheads- if you've got so many CO flag stickers and shirts; I know you're an idiot from out of state, you're not a Coloradoan- it would be like me going to the ghetto in Cook county Chicago with a painted "black face" and thinking I'm gangsta- yeah, this is cool, I'm like totally fitting in here and just like these people, I'm hard yo'.

Most free state in the nation is the free mans/individuals state of mind. Regardless of where you are there are idiotic anti-liberty laws, licensing, registration, regulations, etc. Only those that decide to not follow these moronic unconstitutional unjust laws remain free.

26 Inf
04-27-16, 11:04
As am I.

Let's look at it from a gun guy's perspective. What if a law was passed where you could buy and sell 9mm and .40 S&W on Saturdays (typically busiest range days) but not .45 ACP, how would that make a lick of sense?

Agreed, it wouldn't. But, alcohol, whether distilled or fermented, is a different matter, it is a drug, a mind altering substance. While I feel compassion for those of us who don't like themselves enough to enjoy themselves, or relax, without self-medicating, that compassion doesn't spread to maximizing the availability of those substances.

The county in which I reside voted to become wet a couple of years ago. The liquor stores that moved in are really high end and employ quit a few people. I have no problem going to them but don't see what the fuss would be if say Wal-Mart could compete with them. Even though you can purchase cigars in many convenience stores they don't put the cigar shops out of business. If anything internet sales are their stiffest competition.

I don't know where you live in Texas, but if it is an urban area, I'm sure most people just crossed the county line. In more rural counties and communities, small, family owned liquor stores survive, for the most part because they are the only outlet for liquor or strong beer. As I said, allowing Krogers, Wal-mart, etc. to get into that market would essentially eliminate those stores. Many, if not most, states regulate liquor prices in some manner, so there isn't a real gain to the consumer in pricing at the big box stores. Another aspect is the state's interest in reducing abuse. I understand many do not feel the state should have any interest in reducing abuse, but at this point in our history, they do.

Regarding your comment that 'even though you can purchase cigars in many convenience stores they don't put the cigar shops out of business' if you are talking a true cigar shop, you are talking apples to oranges, they don't cater to the same crowds. The target audience for a tobacconist, is not a trashy guy or gal wanting to buy a strawberry flavored Swisher-Sweet or Tiparillo.

I don't know if you are referring to me with that but if you are, to date I have never commented on prayer in school on this forum. And I don't think you would like it very much if muslims were to overtake your area, sharia law was mandated, and their version of morality is forced upon you and your's.

I wasn't addressing that directly to you. And no I wouldn't like that. I don't believe that is going to be an issue in the U.S.

I don't have a problem with that either, what I have a problem with is government legislating their version of morality which directly affects commerce, the exchange of goods, and individual liberty. Chik-Fil-A is closed on Sundays as the founders and owners of the corporation are evangelical Christians. That is their company policy and I have absolutely no problem with that. But I don't think the state legislature should force them to be closed on Sundays via the rule of law.

And there we go, our Nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, one of those principles is a Sabbath, or day of rest. I don't have a problem with it. Pretty sure if you asked most business folks they would be for it also, so long as all businesses in their industry were closed. There would be no lost opportunity because no one else would be selling on that day either. The downside would be the potential loss of some jobs.

And, I understand that my wishes and desires will be in conflict with many folks.

brickboy240
04-27-16, 11:53
I don't see TX going the way of CO any time soon.

Why? Well Texas was much more conservative than CO for a longer time. CO has been a hippie-magnet state for a very long time.

However, the influx of NY, CA and IL people into our larger cities does have me worried. Sure, some might be conservatives that got sick of the liberalism in those states but my bet is that most moved because they could not stay employed or afford housing in those states. Most are probably leftists of some stripe or another.

Austin used to be a very cool place. It had a real cowboy/hippy vibe and was much more casual and freedom-minded. Now, the old cool establishments that gave Austin charm are being torn down and tons of high dollar yuppie condos are being built. Made of glass and stucco...they have ZERO character. the rusty old VWs and pickups in Austin are slowly going away and you are seeing lots of Audis, Range Rovers and other upscale yuppie rides. There are still lots of great BBQ and Mexican food joints but many are getting replaced with sushi places and organic this or that. Austin is rapidly losing the character than made it cool in the first place.

Houston and Dallas are completely overrun by immigrants and new-comers as well. Crowded stores, crowded streets and crowded restaurants. Many of the new-comers are totally clueless about our culture, traditions and values. These cities are also losing their character and identity and slowly becoming "Anytown USA" like other large US cities. Sad...really.

Is this just "ole man ramblings" I don't know. Many younger people might not even notice the changes but if you were born and raised here and over the age of say, 35...you know that this place is VERY different than the place we grew up.

I always hoped our oppressive heat and humidity would keep them out but these days...sadly...it is not working! LOL

JC5188
04-27-16, 12:29
That's what we call 'em and one of various reasons I'm not in MA.

Yeah, I can absolutely see that being the case.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-27-16, 12:37

Why? Well Texas was much more conservative than CO for a longer time. CO has been a hippie-magnet state for a very long time.

However, the influx of NY, CA and IL people into our larger cities does have me worried. Sure, some might be conservatives that got sick of the liberalism in those states but my bet is that most moved because they could not stay employed or afford housing in those states. Most are probably leftists of some stripe or another.

Austin used to be a very cool place. It had a real cowboy/hippy vibe and was much more casual and freedom-minded. Now, the old cool establishments that gave Austin charm are being torn down and tons of high dollar yuppie condos are being built. Made of glass and stucco...they have ZERO character. the rusty old VWs and pickups in Austin are slowly going away and you are seeing lots of Audis, Range Rovers and other upscale yuppie rides. There are still lots of great BBQ and Mexican food joints but many are getting replaced with sushi places and organic this or that. Austin is rapidly losing the character than made it cool in the first place.

Houston and Dallas are completely overrun by immigrants and new-comers as well. Crowded stores, crowded streets and crowded restaurants. Many of the new-comers are totally clueless about our culture, traditions and values. These cities are also losing their character and identity and slowly becoming "Anytown USA" like other large US cities. Sad...really.

Is this just "ole man ramblings" I don't know. Many younger people might not even notice the changes but if you were born and raised here and over the age of say, 35...you know that this place is VERY different than the place we grew up.

I always hoped our oppressive heat and humidity would keep them out but these days...sadly...it is not working! LOL

I have to sadly agree with a lot of this.

THCDDM4
04-27-16, 12:44

I said the same thing to my friends in California about Colorado not following CA on its path. Be careful with that line of thinking, it can bite you in the ass.

Most of the hippy types that were drawn to CO were just looking to be ski bums and smoke pot in boulder, Fort Collins or Leadville; they were liberal, yes- but not ultra progressive or enemys of liberty. Then came the Big city liberals/progressive- that's what changed CO, not the hippies. The progressives got their claws into local politics and spent big $$$ to turn us from red to purple to blue (We are still purple, but how long that can last is another conversation altogether).

Make no mistake, most of the hippies I hung out with in college were good folks that were just naive and believed liberal BS, most of them are libertarians now- but the big city big money progressives are the ones causing the real issues.

They have TX in in the cross hairs friend- they know if they can take down TX, they have a lock on all three branches being DEM/LIB until 1776 version 2.0 happens.

I wouldn't rest on my heels if I were you.

By the way, the conservatives in CO are the most gun-totenist down to earth liberty loving folks there are. It just takes an influx of big $$$ and small powerful groups of politically motivated folks to change things drastically.

PatrioticDisorder
04-27-16, 12:48

You boys in TX will fine. Here in the gunshine state people have been predicting that Yankees like myself will turn the state blue as if it was once upon a time solidly red. The reality is Florida has been a purple bellwether state on the national stage going back 40 years and continues to be fairly solidly red on the state level, despite a mass migration of northerners to FL. The false assumption made is everyone fleeing the north to FL is some kind of ultra leftist, when in reality a great many of us are conservatives/libertarians getting the hell out of a commie hellhole, great weather is just an added bonus for me.

t1tan
04-27-16, 13:29
You boys in TX will fine. Here in the gunshine state people have been predicting that Yankees like myself will turn the state blue as if it was once upon a time solidly red. The reality is Florida has been a purple bellwether state on the national stage going back 40 years and continues to be fairly solidly red on the state level, despite a mass migration of northerners to FL. The false assumption made is everyone fleeing the north to FL is some kind of ultra leftist, when in reality a great many of us are conservatives/libertarians getting the hell out of a commie hellhole, great weather is just an added bonus for me.

Yep, born in Texas, lived there till my dad retired from HPD where my parents moved us to IL in 2005 so he and my mother could be back home with their family. Been absolutely miserable since and looking for a way out. Going to FL this weekend where my fiancé has a job interview. Cannot wait to leave and never come back. Mother already left for CO with all her relatives, Dads going to FL or back to TX. **** IL, just a giant corn field ruled by a corrupt garbage city.

Pilot1
04-27-16, 13:36
The downsides are mainly jobs, drugs, and not many good hospitals. Places in the State of interest to people on this forum are: Knob Creek range, Buds Gun Shop, Centerfire Systems. Towns I have liked are Lexington, Winchester, & Somerset, and London.

My wife is from London, and still has family there, and in Corbin. I met her when I lived in Lexington as I was relocated there for work. I had moved from Colorado, and really liked Colorado a lot better, but it is getting more liberal now. Small towns like London are being over run by Meth now. It is still livable though. Lexington is a nice little city.

I think Tennessee is a good choice also.

Jer
04-27-16, 14:06
I said the same thing to my friends in California about Colorado not following CA on its path. Be careful with that line of thinking, it can bite you in the ass.

Most of the hippy types that were drawn to CO were just looking to be ski bums and smoke pot in boulder, Fort Collins or Leadville; they were liberal, yes- but not ultra progressive or enemys of liberty. Then came the Big city liberals/progressive- that's what changed CO, not the hippies. The progressives got their claws into local politics and spent big $$$ to turn us from red to purple to blue (We are still purple, but how long that can last is another conversation altogether).

Make no mistake, most of the hippies I hung out with in college were good folks that were just naive and believed liberal BS, most of them are libertarians now- but the big city big money progressives are the ones causing the real issues.

They have TX in in the cross hairs friend- they know if they can take down TX, they have a lock on all three branches being DEM/LIB until 1776 version 2.0 happens.

I wouldn't rest on my heels if I were you.

By the way, the conservatives in CO are the most gun-totenist down to earth liberty loving folks there are. It just takes an influx of big $$$ and small powerful groups of politically motivated folks to change things drastically.

Bingo.

Firefly
04-27-16, 14:41
I've not anything to do with Texas but if it falls well....shit.

The "Hard Confederacy" is safe because people are just so deadset and stubborn. Atlanta will never override the rest of the state. And is considered pretty irrelevant by people not living there.

Money, car manufacturers, and Hollywood are all over GA but it will be the last to fall like Alabama.

Florida just has too many entitled snowbirds and North Carolina has too much spillover.

But to say there isn't a Domino effect of Socialists invading free states and overthrowing them would be to deny the obvious.

brickboy240
04-27-16, 14:59
I too really do not see Austin overriding the state of Texas, either.

For a long time, our larger cities have been run by leftists in the mayor and city council offices, but the outlying areas and rural areas are very conservative.

Inner city Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and El Paso are very bit as liberal as Austin. This has never meant the rest of TX is going liberal.

I do worry...don't get me wrong...but even our last governor's race and the election of Ted Cruz proves that the left has a VERY long way to go before they overtake us and they may never do it.

Most white people I know over the age of 40, plan on working in the big city and retiring out in rural Texas. I bought land back in 2004 for that very same purpose. The county where my land is located is nothing but 60 and 70-something white people that used to live in Houston, Dallas or San Antonio.

Jer
04-27-16, 15:10
I too really do not see Austin overriding the state of Texas, either.

For a long time, our larger cities have been run by leftists in the mayor and city council offices, but the outlying areas and rural areas are very conservative.

Inner city Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and El Paso are very bit as liberal as Austin. This has never meant the rest of TX is going liberal.

I do worry...don't get me wrong...but even our last governor's race and the election of Ted Cruz proves that the left has a VERY long way to go before they overtake us and they may never do it.

Most white people I know over the age of 40, plan on working in the big city and retiring out in rural Texas. I bought land back in 2004 for that very same purpose. The county where my land is located is nothing but 60 and 70-something white people that used to live in Houston, Dallas or San Antonio.

They don't have to. This is exactly what it's like in Colorado... larger cities are left and the majority if the state's populace is right (hell, even the Dems in the rural areas are VERY pro 2A among other conservative values) and very much so but guess where the laws are made: the cities. There was a time where the state was red and now it's purple and that's only because people like me who live here don't want to admit that it's gone blue and not going back anytime soon. The crazy part is that it's business as usual in 90% of the state (geographically speaking) but the 10% is what makes the state of Colorado a Blue state now. People outside of the state say 'Well, that's because the state is full of hippies and college students' and I can tell you that that's not the case. The smaller liberal populace that inhabits the larger cities scream the loudest and the silent majority doesn't even realize what is happening most of the time. If you think this can't happen to Texas I would say that it's already in progress and the fact that you're writing off one of your best cities as a lost cause tells me that you agree somewhere deep down inside.

Pilot1
04-27-16, 15:13
I used to live in Lone Tree, CO, near Littleton. The Front Range has most of the population, and has become a lot more liberal over the last 20 years or so. Some of it is transplants, but also metro area people are just getting more, and more progressive. There is not enough population on the western slope or other rural areas to offset the Front Range population. It is still a great state though, and I do miss it terribly.

henschman
04-29-16, 15:48
Whether or not you support these blue laws like Sunday closing laws, this thread is about what the freest state is. There is no definition of freedom I know of that includes the government threatening force against people for engaging in free association and voluntary exchange.

If you support interfering with these freedoms, maybe what you seek isn't the freest state, but the state with the most laws respecting an establishment of religion or something like that.

The notion that "this country was founded on Judeo-Christian values" is often repeated but never backed up with fact. This country's system of government was based on Italian Republicanism. The notions of enumerated powers to the state and reserved powers to the people was based on Enlightenment-era Natural Rights theory. Many of the founders were not even Christian, but Deist. The First Amendment (1791) specifically prohibits laws respecting an establishment of religion, which these Sunday closing laws and other blue laws are a prime example of.

Firefly
04-29-16, 15:55
We're debating on which state is freest.

That should be a trick question. They all should be free.

Howdafuq did we end up like this after only 240 years?

ramairthree
04-29-16, 16:04
It seems to be happening everywhere eventually.

Upstate and rural New York done in by the city.

Western mass, the same.

Vermont,
Done in by city people moving in and college towns.

Maine and NH to boot.

NC,
Etc.

The combination of FSA,
Liberal cities, etc. and it's like dominoes.

Firefly
04-29-16, 16:12
Well all the wrong people are overbreeding, cities tend to have the most free shit, carpetbaggers know they can get elected by promising free shit, you can lead a good life by shitting out kids and keeping it real.

There's no negative reinforcement.

Educated, working people have to have two incomes and no time for kids.

Meanwhile, Tawanna is always pregnant, always on WIC/SNAP/EBT and never worries about being homeless.

But if you lose your job you magically "won't qualify" for shit they just give people.

And it's right out if the Communist playbook. Look up New Soviet Man and the 'need' for interdependence.

If I could put Plan B and Zoloft in the drinking supply of these bullshit areas I would.

26 Inf
04-29-16, 16:48
Whether or not you support these blue laws like Sunday closing laws, this thread is about what the freest state is. There is no definition of freedom I know of that includes the government threatening force against people for engaging in free association and voluntary exchange.

If you support interfering with these freedoms, maybe what you seek isn't the freest state, but the state with the most laws respecting an establishment of religion or something like that.

The notion that "this country was founded on Judeo-Christian values" is often repeated but never backed up with fact. This country's system of government was based on Italian Republicanism. The notions of enumerated powers to the state and reserved powers to the people was based on Enlightenment-era Natural Rights theory. Many of the founders were not even Christian, but Deist. The First Amendment (1791) specifically prohibits laws respecting an establishment of religion, which these Sunday closing laws and other blue laws are a prime example of.

Yeah, your right.

These guys were wrong:

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1960/8

https://www.nccs.net/2003-05-judeo-christian-roots-of-americas-founding-ideals-and-documents.php

We are debating which state is freest, my vote is still for NV - hookers, the first legal casinos.

Moose-Knuckle
04-29-16, 17:30
Howdafuq did we end up like this after only 240 years?

The Fall of the Athenian Republic:

At about the time our original 13 states adopted their new constitution, in the year 1787, Alexander Tyler (a Scottish history professor at The University of Edinborough) had this to say about "The Fall of The Athenian Republic" some 2,000 years prior:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From Bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage."

Moose-Knuckle
04-29-16, 17:37
If I could put Plan B and Zoloft in the drinking supply of these bullshit areas I would.

Nah brah, let's just slip in some Trixie instead.

henschman
04-29-16, 19:17
Myth. Tyler was never documented as having written that. It first appeared in that form in some newspapers in the mid 20th Century.

26 Inf
04-29-16, 19:49
Myth. Tyler was never documented as having written that. It first appeared in that form in some newspapers in the mid 20th Century.

Myth....Busted. That is if you are referring to the article entitled Judeo-Christian Roots of America's Founding Ideals and Documents. It is Taylor, not Tyler, and here he is: http://www.heritageacademyaz.com/index.cfm/about-us/faculty/earl-taylor/

As he says - I became gradually interested in the political situation in our country and became a teacher of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers for an organization entitled The National Center for Constitutional Studies. As I taught around the nation, my desire increased to get this message to younger people...

Here is his email if you want to tell him someone is writing articles using his name, or, accuse him of plagiarism: etaylor@heritageacademyaz.com

Obviously our perspectives on the subject of separation of Church and State are different, from my perspective the First Amendment prohibits establishing a State Religion. It does not mean the Government can not acknowledge religious beliefs, just cannot mandate those beliefs. The wall of separation of Church and State is not as high as many think. And, of course there are those who think it should be higher still.

MountainRaven
04-29-16, 20:41
The government telling people they can't work on Sunday is both anti-capitalist and mandates a state religion by forcing people to observe your Sabbath.

JoshNC
04-29-16, 20:58
The only safe states in the long run will be places where none of the liberals want to live. Think harsh climate, bleak landscape, no job opportunities.

AKDoug
04-30-16, 00:20
The only safe states in the long run will be places where none of the liberals want to live. Think harsh climate, bleak landscape, no job opportunities.

That's going to be Alaska pretty soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Moose-Knuckle
04-30-16, 01:59

I quoted that directly from snopes.com that "debunked it" (forgot to add hyperlink). However snopes.com has been debunked themselves.

I wasn't around then and don't know if the man was real or not but the logic is sound and our Republic is on it's death throws in less than two hundred and fifty years.

If you have an original source from a 20th Century newspaper I would love to have it.

Moose-Knuckle
04-30-16, 02:08
Thomas Jefferson, a Deist first argued for a "wall of separation between church and state" after expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment.

It's a two way street, I don't think churchs want the .gov in their business telling them how to do things and taxing them. I see it as a buffer zone that mutually benefits both sides of that wall.

JC5188
04-30-16, 05:21

Yes...now that you mention it, Oklahoma is full of rednecks and the tornadoes...oh, the tornadoes.

Dienekes
04-30-16, 11:27

That's a big 10-4.

MountainRaven
04-30-16, 13:17
That's going to be Alaska pretty soon. I'm looking forward to it.

I think you're going to have to get Congress to agree to split Alaska into two states: Interior Alaska (which is bleak) and Coastal Alaska (which might be bleak, but is also beautiful), because once the liberals are done with the beautiful but bleak parts of the Rockies, Sierra Nevadas, &c., they'll start coming in earnest for Alaska.

RazorBurn
04-30-16, 17:09
Well all the wrong people are overbreeding, cities tend to have the most free shit, carpetbaggers know they can get elected by promising free shit, you can lead a good life by shitting out kids and keeping it real.

There's no negative reinforcement.

Educated, working people have to have two incomes and no time for kids.

Meanwhile, Tawanna is always pregnant, always on WIC/SNAP/EBT and never worries about being homeless.

But if you lose your job you magically "won't qualify" for shit they just give people.

And it's right out if the Communist playbook. Look up New Soviet Man and the 'need' for interdependence.

I couldn't have said it better myself, and your twist makes it that much better said!

henschman
05-02-16, 12:34
Yeah, your right.

These guys were wrong:

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1960/8

https://www.nccs.net/2003-05-judeo-christian-roots-of-americas-founding-ideals-and-documents.php

We are debating which state is freest, my vote is still for NV - hookers, the first legal casinos.

Those guys got it wrong a lot. One of the biggest reasons we're where we are today.

brickboy240
05-02-16, 13:51
The difference in our state (TX) and many others is that although our larger urban areas are run by leftist mayors and city councils, they don't set the political tone for the REST of the state.

In NY or CA, the larger metro areas pretty much set the political tone for the rest of the state. NY and CA get liberal governors, Senators and Congresspeople.

Now this could change, but I still think it is a long ways off.

Inner city politics of Austin, Dallas and Houston do not set the political agenda for our entire state...thank God.

Jer
05-02-16, 14:48
The difference in our state (TX) and many others is that although our larger urban areas are run by leftist mayors and city councils, they don't set the political tone for the REST of the state.

In NY or CA, the larger metro areas pretty much set the political tone for the rest of the state. NY and CA get liberal governors, Senators and Congresspeople.

Now this could change, but I still think it is a long ways off.

Inner city politics of Austin, Dallas and Houston do not set the political agenda for our entire state...thank God.

...for now.

I thought the same thing but what you don't realize is that you're already making that migration so by the time you feel like 'okay, it is now shifting' it's already too late because by that phase it's too late. I feel like Texas is in that same thing and the proud conservatives are too proud to notice/admit it. When it goes, it goes fast and allowing them to take over your best larger cities is how they start.