PDA

View Full Version : Consolidating Pmags: M2 vs M3

Skyyr
04-23-16, 10:48
I've collected a lot of AR15 magazines over the last 5-6 years. Lately, I've been working on consolidating and standardizing my AR gear, magazines included. I have both M2 20 and 30 round mags, as well as M3 20 and 30's. Is there any advantage or reason to keep the M2 magazines over or in addition to the M3 magazines? I know some non-AR platforms that use AR-15 magazines work with the M2's, but not the M3's.

Any cons to selling all of the M2's and simply going down to M3's? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Leuthas
04-23-16, 11:18
The M2s will not function properly in a SCAR, the M3s will. Additionally, the straight M2 20 round magazines are considered a more reliable design - being straight - compared to the curved 20rnd M3s.

I'm afraid that is all I have to offer, but for what it's worth, I plan to dump all of my M2s if the opportunity arises in the form of panic buying.

M4Guru
04-23-16, 11:20
Generally speaking, the Gen M3 fits more platforms than the Gen M2/MOE magazine. SCAR, HK416/MR556, SA80, NATO spec AUGs, and all AR lowers that are reasonably close to spec.

Moving the over-travel stop to the rear made it possible to fit a wider variety of weapons. Statistically, the Gen M3 is better in terms of reliability and durability. With that said, both perform past the point of that being terribly relevant.

I think the newer slim floor plate, optimized geometry, more assured platform compatibility, and marking matrix make the Gen M3 a better magazine. With that said, if someone snapped their fingers and all the Gen M3s disappeared the Gen M2 is never going to be the weak link in anyone's system.

Nightstalker865
04-23-16, 12:24
I prefer the M3's, but they don't work perfectly with my BCM lower so I use more M2's these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
04-23-16, 12:41
In my Colt and LMT I've had a problem with neither. I still have some old Pmags from 2007 that, I guess, would be M1s (?) that work and drop free just fine.

My only regret is not getting more straight body 20 rounders in black when I had the chance.

I doubt I will ever get an HK 556 and the other rifle patterns (SCAR/Tavor) don't interest me.

I use my PMags and Lancers to spare my USGIs.

Really see no reason to forego one over the other.

Eurodriver
04-23-16, 12:43
Any cons to selling all of the M2's and simply going down to M3's?

Yes, mainly that it is a big ass waste of money and time.

I am by far the king of the consolidated kingdom of consolidators consolidating, but what you want to do really has no benefit.

Skyyr
04-23-16, 12:46
Yes, mainly that it is a big ass waste of money and time.

I am by far the king of the consolidated kingdom of consolidators consolidating, but what you want to do really has no benefit.

Let me clarify: I have over 100 Pmags, and I'm at a point where I realize I'll never use them all in my lifetime, save for some unrealistic SHTF scenario. I have more M3's than M2's, so my thinking is to get rid of the M2's. That is, unless the M2's are useful for some role that the M3's are not.

SomeOtherGuy
04-23-16, 12:48
Additionally, the straight M2 20 round magazines are considered a more reliable design - being straight - compared to the curved 20rnd M3s.

Never heard that before, and in fact I remember reading about issues with the straight 20's at the time they came out. I don't see why Magpul would go backward in reliability, and I will ASSume that the M3 curved 20's are going to be at least as reliable. I have a pile of the straight 20's, which generally work fine but I do remember having some issues in one or two rifles (possibly with a carbine length gas or something else that pushes things a bit). I have a couple of the M3 curved 20's but haven't really tested them yet. I do have a decent amount of use on M3 30's and have zero complaints with them.

OP: I don't see any drawbacks to the M3 mags, so if you're selling anything I would sell the M2s.

M4Guru
04-23-16, 12:53
The Gen M3 20 is absolutely more reliable than the Gen 1 20 round magazine. No contest.

Skyyr
04-23-16, 13:00
The Gen M2 20 is absolutely more reliable than the Gen 1 20 round magazine. No contest.

The "Gen 2" being the version Magpul has labeled the M3 20-rounder (curved design), correct?

boombotz401
04-23-16, 13:02
I'm not 100% certain but I think the gen2 was designed around the colt AR, some report the gen3 not dropping free from the AR system.

My guess is those that are having an issue are running lower quality out of spec lowers combined with magpul trying to design the pmag to work with multible systems. I own both and haven't experienced any issues.

My suggestion, if your only going to use pmags in the AR system stick with the gen2 for reliability across different lowers.

If you may someday get a platform gen3 is designed for scar etc stay with the gen 3

Could always color code also

Gen 2 pmags fde

Gen 3 black

Etc

M4Guru
04-23-16, 13:03
Correct, that was a typo. Gen M3 20 rounder.

Gen M3 denotes magazine technology that is universal across a number of our magazines and in some cases is not the third of that particular magazine. The PMAG25 LR/SR, for example, only exists in Gen M3 form as it was initially released using all of the Gen M3 updates.

_Stormin_
04-23-16, 13:04
Let me clarify: I have over 100 Pmags, and I'm at a point where I realize I'll never use them all in my lifetime, save for some unrealistic SHTF scenario. I have more M3's than M2's, so my thinking is to get rid of the M2's. That is, unless the M2's are useful for some role that the M3's are not.
If I understand correctly, since you plan on selling off some PMAGs, you're trying to clarify if there is any reason to keep one generation over another. If it were me, I would be keeping the M2 20 rounders and the M3 30 rounders. That said, with the election coming up in 198 days, I wouldn't be selling anything right now. (This thread not need to descend into a debate about politics. One man stating one opinion as to why timing may not be opportune.)

Beat Trash
04-23-16, 13:15
I started a thread last year about a BCM lower that I had purchased to use as my Patrol Rifle at work as a LEO. The BCL lower would not accept the gen3 mags as the over insertion stop on the mag was hitting the back of the lower. The lower was sent to BCM to check out. They sent it back saying they don't consider that measurement of the lower as part of the spec when the lower is, "within spec". They further said that their mil spec lowers are designed to work only with mil spec magazines. They then told me how great the Lancer magazines were (Definitely NOT a mil spec magazine).

I bring this up because it made me rethink the gen 2 PMAGS. If you are using pool guns that are from various manufactures of AR lowers, then the gen2 magazine might not be a bad idea.

If you are stocking up magazines for your personal guns, and you have ensured that the gen3 will insert without issue, then I prefer the gen3 magazines.

I was informed by MagPul that when they switched over production of the gen2 PMAG to where it was labeled as the MOE magazine, they started using the same polymer in both gen2 and gen3 magazines. When the gen3 magazine was initially introduced, one of the main advantages of it over the older PMAG's was the new polymer formula and it's ability to withstand colder temperatures without cracking.

I have some of the Ten Speed magazine pouches from BFG. I've found that the magazine over insertion tab on the gen3 mags can catch on the elastic. Other than that, I prefer the gen3 over the gen2, but the difference to me isn't enough to get that excited about.

I don't know that I would sell off NIB magazines at a loss right now. I'm not sure we will see the panic prices that we did after Sandy Hook. If I were laying back some new PMAGs and trying to decide which one to get, I think that price would be the determining factor.

Benito
04-23-16, 15:16
Mags? What mags? Oh, I sold those off years ago, officer. Nope, no guns in this family. We're pacifists, you see.

RHINOWSO
04-23-16, 16:12
I don't see the point, selling 30 PMAGs for at most $300?

Get some storage boxes and box up the ones you don't want to use. Then box up the ones you haven't used. Keep out training and 'duty' mags.

Think about something else, go outside, go shooting, have fun, etc, etc.

SteveL
04-23-16, 16:38
I don't see the point in getting rid of perfectly good magazines. You'll be taking a loss on them financially. I would just box them up and put them away. Later I might consider selling a few for a profit if there's another panic.

Pappabear
04-23-16, 18:10
It's a hassle to sell shit. Send to Pappabear. He loves 20 rounders too:cool:

Blak1508
04-23-16, 19:16
I mean if your trying to offload some I know someone who's Birthday it is on April 27. On another note, I agree with many of the other members saying that you would be causing yourself more of a headache than benefit. You have already accumulated, "X" number of Gen 2 20 rounders so I would just pack them up and put them somewhere for safe keeping, right next to 10,000 rounds of LC M855:cool: . I would also look at the platforms I have or plan to have in the future and if my plan was to grab a SCAR or one of the other NATO spec platforms that will not accept Gen 2's reliably then from this point forward I would just grab the Gen 3's, this was also stated earlier and think it carries the most logic.

Kain
04-23-16, 19:33
If you are intent on getting rid of the mags I would wait until closer to the election, promise you that they won't be selling for less.

Other than that, I keep a variety of mags on hand because I can, from Pmags, Lancer, USGI, and even others. I don't see a real point of selling mags that work well. And will buy random mags just to have as reference. That and even if I have mags that I prefer and use more often it just means the other mags sit in a box or on the shelf for when I decide I want to use them for whatever.

friendlyfireisnt
04-23-16, 19:57
I agree with those that say to hold on to them, sell them if there is a run on mags if you must.

I prefer the M3's as my go-to mags. I keep the Gen2's for training and practice. I did that to keep the two seperate, and with the lower cost of the Gen2's being cheaper, they make good beater mags.

That said, I've recently gotten at least three Gen2's that don't lock back on my carbines. Multiplte lowers and uppers. Won't engage the bolt catch, even if I cycle the charging handle manually. Something with the followers. Recent batch of 4 mags, same date code, purchased at the same time. 3 function properly, 1 doesn't.

So with that recent issue cropping up, I'm probably only going to buy M3's going forward, since I've never had that issue with any of them.

As for the straight 20's vs the M3's, no question the M3's are vastly superior, but I've still got a couple of the older ones.

I agree with those that say have multiple types. I prefer the PMAGS, but I keep a supply of D&H and Brownells for long term storage. I have a couple of the original Lancers, they are in my training pile, work fine for me. I also have some new Lancers, set aside for the .300blk, mainly for identification purposes.

M4Guru
04-23-16, 20:49
That said, I've recently gotten at least three Gen2's that don't lock back on my carbines. Multiplte lowers and uppers. Won't engage the bolt catch, even if I cycle the charging handle manually. Something with the followers. Recent batch of 4 mags, same date code, purchased at the same time. 3 function properly, 1 doesn't.

Let's swap those out. We'd like to take a look at them.

friendlyfireisnt
04-23-16, 22:06
Let's swap those out. We'd like to take a look at them.

Appreciate it, got the PM.

patriot_man
04-24-16, 01:07
I've got 12 or more PMAG M3's that do not drop free from a Colt lower and KAC lower. I've filed down the area around the mag catch recess but still will not drop free. I'm also in California so replacement are a no-go for me.

However my M2's drop free from all my lowers.

Jpoe88
04-24-16, 02:04
I've got 12 or more PMAG M3's that do not drop free from a Colt lower and KAC lower. I've filed down the area around the mag catch recess but still will not drop free. I'm also in California so replacement are a no-go for me.

However my M2's drop free from all my lowers.

I'd move lol.

I just picked up 5 of m2 in foliage (couldn't care what color) hope theyes run decent. I've always used aluminum gi mags

SteveL
04-24-16, 06:44

FWIW I've had 2 or 3 Gen 2/MOE Pmags with the same problem. I pulled them apart and took a small file and opened up the "U" shaped notch on the back where the follower engages the bolt catch into a square shape. I've had 100% success with them since then.

556er
04-24-16, 10:15
Some of my older M3's can be a little flaky when inserting on a closed bolt. The newer ones with the small bumps have been perfect.

samuse
04-24-16, 12:05
IF the Gen M3s are the latest revision with the bumps inside the feedlips to keep the 2nd round from crossing up with the 1st, I'd keep 'em. If they're the originals, unload 'em however you can.

I have over 100 Gen M3s around here and 6 Gen M2s. I only use Colt and LMT lowers so I don't have compatibility problems like you get with other stuff.

gunrunner505
04-24-16, 12:43
Given the current political environment, no standard mag is a bad mag. I'd keep them all.

strambo
04-24-16, 17:47
Keep them all at least until the next panic. Then, sell the 20-30 you don't want/need for triple + profit! Then, after the panic is over, buy more Gen 3's if you want.

kantstudien
04-24-16, 18:08
Let me clarify: I have over 100 Pmags

Only 100? That's cute

Jpoe88
04-24-16, 20:04
Only 100? That's cute

I've got 8 lmfao. 8 magazines total. I am also in a rebuild phase.

Ernst
04-24-16, 20:08
I consolidated all my PMAGS by getting rid of them all and going with USGI metal mags. No more plastic mags. Problem solved.

FishTaco
04-24-16, 20:09
I . The lower was sent to BCM to check out. They sent it back saying they don't consider that measurement of the lower as part of the spec when the lower is, "within spec". They further said that their mil spec lowers are designed to work only with mil spec magazines. They then told me how great the Lancer magazines were (Definitely NOT a mil spec magazine).

I bring this up because it made me rethink the gen 2 PMAGS. If you are using pool guns that are from various manufactures of AR lowers, then the gen2 magazine might not be a bad idea.

Sounds like it might be easier to rethink a lower with rejection features not found in the greater market. Pmags are the more universal of the two brands at this time IMO.

friendlyfireisnt
04-24-16, 20:45
I consolidated all my PMAGS by getting rid of them all and going with USGI metal mags. No more plastic mags. Problem solved.

I'm not anti-USGI mags, but I have had more issues with USGI's than PMAGS of all flavors. I have a colt mag that one of the tabs holding the base has broken. I've got two Brownells (a current .mil mfg) that barely insert into any lower, and won't drop free. Talked to Brownells a year ago or so, and they offered to look at replacing them. If I paid shipping back. For two mags it's not worth it. Got others that work fine though.

Bet magpul will take care of my issue without me being out any $$.

JusticeM4
04-25-16, 05:44

That's a good stash. Save them for a rainy day, or when prices go up during elections/shortages.

Just add more mags to your stash depending on which ones you want to stay with. Pmags are excellent mags and I've never had any issues with M2 or M3 with my standard lowers.

Watrdawg
04-25-16, 07:10
I've got a mix of USGI, M3 and M2 Pmags and plan on keeping them all. As cheap as Pmags are right now I'll likely add more. If I sell any it will be when prices go up. At this point they are stored in a nice cool place.

djegators
04-25-16, 07:24
There are several design changes in the gen 3, including a slimmer design that fits some mag pouches better, a slightly different texture, different floor plate, and maybe some more stuff I am not thinking of, but most importantly it is the latest gen of Magpul polymer. Having said that, I am not getting rid of any mags at this time, esp with the likely prospects of Hillary winning the WH, possibly the Dems taking both houses, and the far left taking over SCOTUS. If anything, this is the time to BUY mags...they are cheap and plentiful at this time.

TAZ
04-25-16, 07:54
Magazines are disposable items. If they function in your weapon there is little reason to ditch them. If you use them you will damage them eventually or simply wear them out. When that happens it's nice to know you can chunk it in the trash and grab another form the mag bucket.

If they don't work or you need to scrape up some cash then so be it. Other than that I'd say hang on to them and enjoy.

M4Guru
04-25-16, 10:02
The Gen M2/MOE mag was updated and uses the same polymer as the Gen M3

shadow93
04-25-16, 10:33
IF the Gen M3s are the latest revision with the bumps inside the feedlips to keep the 2nd round from crossing up with the 1st, I'd keep 'em. If they're the originals, unload 'em however you can.

I have over 100 Gen M3s around here and 6 Gen M2s. I only use Colt and LMT lowers so I don't have compatibility problems like you get with other stuff.

Is there an easy way to tell the difference while they are still in wrapper?

tacticaldesire
04-25-16, 10:38
If they work I see no reason to get rid of them. Especially before an election.

djegators
04-25-16, 11:05

Good to know, thanks.

Jpoe88
04-25-16, 11:25
Magazines are disposable items. If they function in your weapon there is little reason to ditch them. If you use them you will damage them eventually or simply wear them out. When that happens it's nice to know you can chunk it in the trash and grab another form the mag bucket.

If they don't work or you need to scrape up some cash then so be it. Other than that I'd say hang on to them and enjoy.

In the past, I always number mine. if I have a malfunction (mag related) I remark it later. At a later date, I run the remarked mags to recheck for reliability. if they are still a no go, they remain marked. we all want a 100% reliable gun. its a mechanical device. its not the if, its the when. I saved them for a readiness/preparedness drill if one of my 100% mags were to fail, I would be able to make that correction.

I agree with everything TAZ said.

If you have pmags that youre gonna throw away or any mags for that matter, send me your paypal. throw them in an envelope or whatever. ill pay the shipping.

Leuthas
04-25-16, 13:04

Are the M2 magazines still being produced? I'm curious why that is.

tacticaldesire
04-25-16, 16:06

They are and have been renamed M2 MOE. I'd assume it's to have an option for those with lowers in which the M3 doesn't work properly or to have a cheaper option to the M3 or both.

patriot_man
04-25-16, 16:08

I welcome the fact that the M2's are still produced. I can not get the M3's to slip out of pouches as easily due to the over insertion tab.

larryp
04-25-16, 20:43
I like the fact that I can snap the dust cover onto the bottom of my Gen 2s. I only have 1 Gen 3 but you can't do that with it. Both work equally well in my AR as far as feeding goes.

samuse
04-25-16, 22:07
Is there an easy way to tell the difference while they are still in wrapper?

I know that they have had it since at least 10/2015 since that's what I have and they have it. You can pop the dustcover off and see without opening the package, but it's pretty difficult.

All of the Sand colored mags I've seen have the bumps, but not sure if the black ones got 'em at the same time.

Cokie
04-25-16, 23:13
As previously stated, Elections.

If you really hate having them, I'll buy them (and sell them in 7 months :D )

Storkenheimer
04-26-16, 20:20
I know that they have had it since at least 10/2015 since that's what I have and they have it. You can pop the dustcover off and see without opening the package, but it's pretty difficult.

All of the Sand colored mags I've seen have the bumps, but not sure if the black ones got 'em at the same time.

Can you see the date code while in the plastic? The little dial with an arrow thing?

Jellybean
04-26-16, 23:28
I started a thread last year about a BCM lower that I had purchased to use as my Patrol Rifle at work as a LEO. The BCL lower would not accept the gen3 mags as the over insertion stop on the mag was hitting the back of the lower. The lower was sent to BCM to check out. They sent it back saying they don't consider that measurement of the lower as part of the spec when the lower is, "within spec". They further said that their mil spec lowers are designed to work only with mil spec magazines. They then told me how great the Lancer magazines were (Definitely NOT a mil spec magazine).

If you are stocking up magazines for your personal guns, and you have ensured that the gen3 will insert without issue, then I prefer the gen3 magazines.

I was informed by MagPul that when they switched over production of the gen2 PMAG to where it was labeled as the MOE magazine, they started using the same polymer in both gen2 and gen3 magazines. When the gen3 magazine was initially introduced, one of the main advantages of it over the older PMAG's was the new polymer formula and it's ability to withstand colder temperatures without cracking.

I have some of the Ten Speed magazine pouches from BFG. I've found that the magazine over insertion tab on the gen3 mags can catch on the elastic. Other than that, I prefer the gen3 over the gen2, but the difference to me isn't enough to get that excited about.

Unless the Magpul guy here says this is a no-no, a file is your friend here, if the overtravel stop is just bugging the hell out of you.
Did that to a couple M3's I have- just used a medium and a fine bastard file to whack the nubs down, but still left a "rib" like a standard M2.

I haven't had that much of an issue with Ten-Speeds, at least drawing the mag. Inserting, yeah it can be a little trickier then.
It also seems that the First Spear speed reload M4 pouches don't like the M3's either. :(

Damnation. I bet I have some of those old ones.
As I'm sure it's already been covered, anyone have a link to a side-by-side picture so I can see what to look for?

Pachucko
04-27-16, 19:07
While we're all asking questions, when did the Gen2 mags get the polymer upgrade?

samuse
04-27-16, 21:36
While we're all asking questions, when did the Gen2 mags get the polymer upgrade?

A long time ago. End of 2012.

scottryan
04-27-16, 22:11

I only use P mags for range beater and training mags.

I have all my OEM Okay/Colt mags in reserve loaded with MK262 for real senarios

scottryan
04-27-16, 22:17
I'm not anti-USGI mags, but I have had more issues with USGI's than PMAGS of all flavors. I have a colt mag that one of the tabs holding the base has broken. I've got two Brownells (a current .mil mfg) that barely insert into any lower, and won't drop free. Talked to Brownells a year ago or so, and they offered to look at replacing them. If I paid shipping back. For two mags it's not worth it. Got others that work fine though.

Bet magpul will take care of my issue without me being out any $$.

Brownells magazines are not of OEM quality. I've come to believe they are factory rejects on a rejected AQL sampling routine.

Your Colt magazine needs to be replaced.

Turnkey11
04-27-16, 22:48
I didnt even realize there was a gen 2 and 3, Im still trucking with the same 100+ I bought when they came out, with 07 date code.

JPS
04-28-16, 01:35
The Gen M3 20 is absolutely more reliable than the Gen 1 20 round magazine. No contest.

Is the Gen M3 20 considered more reliable than the M2 20?

djegators
04-28-16, 06:38
Is the Gen M3 20 considered more reliable than the M2 20?

I don't believe they make the Gen 2 20s any more, so that may answer your question.

MacFord125
04-28-16, 08:16
[QUOTE=Jellybean;230969
Damnation. I bet I have some of those old ones.
As I'm sure it's already been covered, anyone have a link to a side-by-side picture so I can see what to look for?[/QUOTE]

Here's a couple of pictures, the sand mag has the bump, the black mag does not.

And I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to make the pictures larger without having to click on them.

friendlyfireisnt
04-28-16, 11:48
Brownells magazines are not of OEM quality. I've come to believe they are factory rejects on a rejected AQL sampling routine.

The Colt already had been replaced, about a dozen times over. I keep broken/defective mags to use at the house during practice mag changes so I don't damage good mags.

OrbitalE
04-28-16, 21:00
Here's a couple of pictures, the sand mag has the bump, the black mag does not.

And I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to make the pictures larger without having to click on them.

Am I blind? I can't tell what I'm looking for on the feed lip.

tacticaldesire
04-29-16, 02:53
There's a ridge parallel to the follower and in front of the feed lip that is absent on the older mag.

shadow93
04-29-16, 11:35
Well it would appear all of my open Gen 3 mags are pre-bump. Anyone have a date code on when they went to the dash? All my open ones were made in 2012-2013.

556er
04-29-16, 13:45
Am I blind? I can't tell what I'm looking for on the feed lip.

The one on the right has the bump, just forward of the feed lip.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/windyhill_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6jmgb661.jpeg

moonshot
04-29-16, 17:44

Thanks for pointing this out - I didn't know what I was looking for either.

Does this really prevent the round crossover issue? I can see how it might keep the rounds more "in line".

Ric
04-29-16, 18:54

I know everyone has different experiences with these types of things.

However I have about 10 Brownells 30rnd mags and they have performed flawlessly in Colt, Bushmaster and Anderson lowers.
The finish even holds up well.
Of course YMMV.

Zirk208
04-29-16, 19:37
What happens when Magpul comes out with the Gen 4...Gen 5...Gen 6...etc? Do you sell and "consolidate" with each new release?
If your mags are working, don't overthink it.

OrbitalE
04-29-16, 20:13

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/windyhill_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6jmgb661.jpeg

Perfect, thanks.

friendlyfireisnt
04-29-16, 20:20
What happens when Magpul comes out with the Gen 4...Gen 5...Gen 6...etc? Do you sell and "consolidate" with each new release?
If your mags are working, don't overthink it.

Exactly.

I like to seperate my practice/training mags and "social" mags. That's the primary reason why MOE/Gen2 PMAGS are my training mags. Not because of any flaw in them. M3 are my "social" mags.

ST911
04-29-16, 20:57
Use what you have for the task appropriate for their condition. When buying new, acquire the latest revisions and improvements. Worry less, shoot more.

w3453l
04-29-16, 21:18
I'm pretty late to the thread, but take this from someone in a ban state. Every standard cap mag becomes precious when you can no longer replace them. Remember as long as the body is still in tact, you're just one new spring away from having a fresh new mag, for the most part. I know replacement springs might not make sense to buy right now when complete mag prices are so low, but if things ever do change then you still have ability to squeeze out all the life out of the mag that you possibly can.

Also, it's been mentioned before, but even the mags you wouldn't trust your life to can be used for training. Use = Wear, so you might as well save the good mags for when you really need them while the iffy or crappy mags take the wear and tear from training.

The only exception I can see to selling mags is if they are for some gun you do not have, or do not ever plan on having.

PrevailFI
05-05-16, 14:26
I've been buying PMags since they became the hot, new thing. I have every generation and have never had a problem except for one I fumbled from a 75 foot tower onto concrete. TU, my bad. I have 4 Gen 1s that stay in my rifle case and always go to the range. They must have 5k rounds each.

I have dozens (hundreds) still in the plastic of all gens. Am I likely to have troublesome mags I don't even know about? I thought these were all GTG.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

w3453l
05-05-16, 21:25
If you have dozens of hundreds, then chances are you probably have at least a couple problematic mags in there. It's hard to say really. The best thing to always do is just put each mag to use a few times to check function. This is something I do with every mag regardless of how the Internet praises it.

PrevailFI
05-06-16, 06:49
If you have dozens of hundreds, then chances are you probably have at least a couple problematic mags in there. It's hard to say really. The best thing to always do is just put each mag to use a few times to check function. This is something I do with every mag regardless of how the Internet praises it.
I realize that in any large sampling there is a higher statistical chance of encountering problems. I was asking if any generation of 30rd PMags was known to be problematical. I knew about the M3 and BCM lowers, and the reduced longevity of some colors.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BufordTJustice
05-06-16, 22:36
Use what you have for the task appropriate for their condition. When buying new, acquire the latest revisions and improvements. Worry less, shoot more.
Bingo.

Moose-Knuckle
05-09-16, 03:10
Wow four pages on this . . .

OP, as Euro commented on page one. To sell your M2s for M3s would be a waste of time, money, and effort.

I read almost all the posts in this thread but I didn't see anyone bring up Sand Pmags vs. non-Sand Pmags.

IIRC the recipe for the Sand M3 mags is the most uber super to date, plus you can dye them any color if that is your thing.

Keep what you have, buy M3 Sand Pmags until their next latest and greatest mag comes out.