PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9

Slater
04-23-16, 12:47
IIRC, Beretta has now completed their M9 contracts for the military and the XM17 is now the Next Big Thing. Operating under the assumption that the XM17 will actually make it through testing, bid protests, and Congressional hearings, will the Army make a rapid transition to the M17 or will the M9 linger on for a while?

MegademiC
04-23-16, 13:21
With the disclaimer I've never been in mil, I'd bet it lingers, as in they will cycle them out as they need replaced.

Or the new gun will be a beretta.

MountainRaven
04-23-16, 14:14
It took about a decade for the M9 to replace the M1911 in general service and the M45/-A1 still in service is essentially an M1911A2/-A3.

While I wouldn't expect the M9 to linger for as long - I don't think it has many qualities superior to whatever replaces it, except maybe mechanical accuracy - I would expect it to take a while.

Slater
04-23-16, 14:18
I suppose if the Army wanted their new M17's quickly, they could donate all serviceable M9's to other countries (Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, etc.) as Excess Defense Articles. Or maybe have an FMS fire sale.

Dionysusigma
04-23-16, 20:50
The K/C-135 was supposed to be replaced by the K/C-10. Decades later, and the K/C-135 still outnumbers the 10, and has been flying longer (1958 on) than aviation had even existed before its first flight. I suspect the M9 will be the same way, unless thousands are on the immediate verge of breaking beyond reasonable repair.

RHINOWSO
04-23-16, 23:19
It'll take a minimum of 2-3 years from finalized award, more than likely at least 5.

The producer will need spin up time and time to deliver.

The DoD will need the money to buy them all (plus all the extras - holsters, mags, parts, tools, training systems).

Units will need the time and ammunition to convert to them and train.

And then realize when it comes to budgets, pistols are pretty low priority on the totem pole for funding.

Personally I think at best in 10 years a weapon might have been selected (60/40) but it will be far from fully fielded.

Jpoe88
04-24-16, 01:36
I agree with every bit of that. As soon as it's awarded, it will be issued to priority groups and units who can train proficiently to have it actually field tested in "batches" and develop the standard to train a)troops with previous m9 service and b)troops with no m9 experience so it can be more effective in the transition.

That's my personal opinion.

Eurodriver
04-24-16, 07:35
CMP M9s would be so cool.

dbain99
04-24-16, 07:55

Just wait 40 years the start down that road.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

USMC_Anglico
04-24-16, 08:15
It will be quite a while. My guess is the pistol solicitation will go the same way the carbine PIP went. Nowhere, with a lot of money spent. As long as the contracting officers get their OER bullets the end result doesn't really matter.

As the Gen Milley already stated, they could piggyback on the SOCOM G19 contract and be done with it for a fraction of the cost. When the Chief of Staff can't even make things happen in a timely manner, you know the system is FUBAR'd

ColtSeavers
04-25-16, 01:41
Didn't the whole XM17 'project' just get pushed back again a month or so ago? Honestly, I think this is a fantastic write-up of the situation, even if it is from last year:

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/09/03/my-thoughts-on-the-xm17-modular-handgun-system-rfp/

SOWT
04-25-16, 08:56
It will be quite a while. My guess is the pistol solicitation will go the same way the carbine PIP went. Nowhere, with a lot of money spent. As long as the contracting officers get their OER bullets the end result doesn't really matter.

As the Gen Milley already stated, they could piggyback on the SOCOM G19 contract and be done with it for a fraction of the cost. When the Chief of Staff can't even make things happen in a timely manner, you know the system is FUBAR'd

SOCOM may not want the Army to piggyback on their contract for a few years.
It may not be legal for a service to piggyback on a SOCOM contract either.

NongShim
04-28-16, 21:35

About as cool as CMP Namboos. Actually Namboos would be cool from a purely historical point of view. M9s are trash, CMP can keep them.