PDA

View Full Version : Giraud case trimmer

Malig8r
04-23-16, 22:28
So I finally got my Giraud case trimmer delivered via UPS on Friday afternoon. Ended up ordering the 223 Rem, 308 Win, and 300 WSM trimmers to go with it. Had it set up and delivered with the 223 Rem ready to go.

All I can say is: sure wish I had done this years ago! Now to get at those 5 gallon buckets of brass I've been avoiding :jester:

HKGuns
04-23-16, 22:43
Yep best money I've spent on anything for reloading. I love mine.

opngrnd
04-23-16, 23:56
I VERY much look forward to when I finally get one of these.

Eurodriver
04-24-16, 05:31
$460?!?!

:sad:

HKGuns
04-24-16, 06:26
......and worth every red cent if you do any amount of rifle reloading.

T2C
04-24-16, 06:53
It's tough to justify spending that kind of money until you spend 90 minutes prepping 120 pieces of 30-06 brass. I may pull the trigger and buy a Giraud myself.

HKGuns
04-24-16, 07:10
I was using a hand crank trimmer and those things are murder on your wrists. Talk about a workout.

Malig8r
04-24-16, 07:54
It's tough to justify spending that kind of money until you spend 90 minutes prepping 120 pieces of 30-06 brass. I may pull the trigger and buy a Giraud myself.

My sentiments exactly. I waited a long while before pulling the trigger on this. I kept reading responses from people who had purchased it and never heard/read about anyone that wasn't happy with their purchase.
In the end it will allow me to expedite my reloading process and get me out there shooting sooner.

taliv
04-24-16, 08:36
been using one for many many years. definitely worth the price. it has probably saved me DAYS of hand trimming over the years.

markm
04-25-16, 11:45
Here's a tip... (I wish I'd have taken this advice earlier) Set up your .223 trimmer to cut .003-.005" longer than spec. My riflesmith recommended this, and it's not been a problem at all for me. The upside is you cut less brass off XM193 brass. If you cut that stuff down to spec, you spend 3 times as much time cutting.

Also, the extra few thowie of neck surface on your bullet is a plus. More consistent neck tensions.

B52U
04-25-16, 12:02
If you only load .223 and no other rifle calibers, the tri-way trimmer that you chuck in a drill is a more affordable option that works great.

P2000
04-25-16, 12:05
Here's a tip... (I wish I'd have taken this advice earlier) Set up your .223 trimmer to cut .003-.005" longer than spec. My riflesmith recommended this, and it's not been a problem at all for me. The upside is you cut less brass off XM193 brass. If you cut that stuff down to spec, you spend 3 times as much time cutting.

Also, the extra few thowie of neck surface on your bullet is a plus. More consistent neck tensions.

Similarly, I trim to max length. I measured the chambers of all of my rifles with a sinclair chamber length gauge (a $5 tool) so I know it is safe with a generous margin for error.

The only disappointment I have with the Giraud trimmer is that the chamfer it cuts has a sharp edge that will peel off fragments of the bullet jacket when seating. You can feel it, see it and even hear it. Now I use a hand VLD tool after trimming and the bullets seat like butter.

T2C
04-25-16, 12:31

I trim halfway between max and trim length. Like you pointed out, it gives you more bearing surface on the projectile and more consistent neck tension.

Malig8r
04-25-16, 13:22

Appreciate the heads up. I'll measure the case he sent with the trimmer and adjust accordingly. Of course I'll have to confirm that it will cycle in all of the weapons. Thanks to the rest of you that also provided feedback or guidance as well.

Malig8r
04-25-16, 13:25
Quick question: since the 300WSM is my bolt gun and I'm fire forming the brass is it alright if I adjust the trimmer to my once fired brass length or should I trim that a few thousandth shorter?

markm
04-26-16, 17:17
Similarly, I trim to max length. I measured the chambers of all of my rifles with a sinclair chamber length gauge (a $5 tool) so I know it is safe with a generous margin for error.

The only disappointment I have with the Giraud trimmer is that the chamfer it cuts has a sharp edge that will peel off fragments of the bullet jacket when seating. You can feel it, see it and even hear it. Now I use a hand VLD tool after trimming and the bullets seat like butter.

This is unusual. I've never had a single jacket shaved when seating a bullet. My trimmer already puts a healthy VLDesque chamfer on the case mouth. Even with flat base bullets, I get zero shaving.

markm
04-26-16, 17:19
Quick question: since the 300WSM is my bolt gun and I'm fire forming the brass is it alright if I adjust the trimmer to my once fired brass length or should I trim that a few thousandth shorter?

If your once fired re-chambers well, set it to that. We shoot 300WM. And to be honest, I NEVER trim that brass EVER. I've got RWS with 8 plus firings, and I don't even measure or trim it. I got this epiphany from a guy at Accurateshooter's forum.

I'll occasionally trim .308... although my bolt gun's leade is so massive at this point, it's a futile exercise in futility.

HKGuns
04-26-16, 19:07
This is unusual. I've never had a single jacket shaved when seating a bullet. My trimmer already puts a healthy VLDesque chamfer on the case mouth. Even with flat base bullets, I get zero shaving.

I've not had that issue either. Oh it is pretty sharp, but has never shaved copper.

user
04-26-16, 21:22
Call Doug and he'll walk ya through a setup that eliminates that. As long as its not camp perry time, he'll either take your call or call ya back.

P2000
04-26-16, 22:26
Call Doug and he'll walk ya through a setup that eliminates that. As long as its not camp perry time, he'll either take your call or call ya back.

I'll give him a call sometime to figure it out. Its probably some small adjustment or something.