PDA

View Full Version : An Ambulance And A Lesson In Basic Chemistry...

SteyrAUG
04-25-16, 13:56
So this weekend when I noticed one of the neighbor kids carrying a jug of ammonia I knew it was going to be bad. I'm not a nosy busy body, but when I hear the kids outdoors I keep an eye on them because they love to throw shit around and half of it ends up in my yard if I don't say something to them.

So that was Saturday. Seems on Sunday, now that I have a more complete understanding of events, Mom decided once and for all she was going to clean the house "old school" the way grandma used to do it. First things first she ordered all children and dogs outdoors.

So armed with a mop, 5 gallon paint bucket, a jug of ammonia, a gallon of bleach and a 4th grade understanding of chemistry, she closed the bathroom door, put the bucket in the bath tub, added one part bleach, one part ammonia and then turned on the hot water.

Fortunately for her, the specific instructions she gave to her children "Go outside and don't come back inside until I come get you" lasted only as long as their decision that they needed to go inside and get popsicles.

After opening the bathroom door to ask if they could have popsicles and banging the door into her head they ran to the other neighbors house to announce their "Mom died." Neighbors called 911, called an ambulance, etc. In another random act of fortune, they left the bathroom door mostly open and the front door completely open.

The paramedics were able to revive her and she said she didn't remember much once she added the hot water to the bucket which steamed the contents of the bucket into a toxic, contained cloud. She didn't remember falling and hitting her head on the toilet, she didn't remember the kids opening the door into her head.

Thankfully the paramedics knew exactly what happened as soon as they walked in the front door, even before they saw the jugs of bleach and ammonia in the bathtub. Never a dull moment.

And probably a good thing Wal Mart stopped selling AR-15s, those could kill somebody.

Ryno12
04-25-16, 14:11
Tell her next time to use Anhydrous Ammonia.

chuckman
04-25-16, 14:24

When I was a paramedic we'd go to about one of those a month.

cbx
04-25-16, 14:36
Nice.. That shit will eff you up. The one time it hit me (long story of old farmers trying to kill birds in shops , no signs, and this is why we can't have nice things...) If I had to describe it, imagine a Chuck Norris round house to your lungs, mouth, and eyes.

Koshinn
04-25-16, 14:37
So this weekend when I noticed one of the neighbor kids carrying a jug of ammonia I knew it was going to be bad. I'm not a nosy busy body, but when I hear the kids outdoors I keep an eye on them because they love to throw shit around and half of it ends up in my yard if I don't say something to them.

So that was Saturday. Seems on Sunday, now that I have a more complete understanding of events, Mom decided once and for all she was going to clean the house "old school" the way grandma used to do it. First things first she ordered all children and dogs outdoors.

So armed with a mop, 5 gallon paint bucket, a jug of ammonia, a gallon of bleach and a 4th grade understanding of chemistry, she closed the bathroom door, put the bucket in the bath tub, added one part bleach, one part ammonia and then turned on the hot water.

Fortunately for her, the specific instructions she gave to her children "Go outside and don't come back inside until I come get you" lasted only as long as their decision that they needed to go inside and get popsicles.

After opening the bathroom door to ask if they could have popsicles and banging the door into her head they ran to the other neighbors house to announce their "Mom died." Neighbors called 911, called an ambulance, etc. In another random act of fortune, they left the bathroom door mostly open and the front door completely open.

The paramedics were able to revive her and she said she didn't remember much once she added the hot water to the bucket which steamed the contents of the bucket into a toxic, contained cloud. She didn't remember falling and hitting her head on the toilet, she didn't remember the kids opening the door into her head.

Thankfully the paramedics knew exactly what happened as soon as they walked in the front door, even before they saw the jugs of bleach and ammonia in the bathtub. Never a dull moment.

And probably a good thing Wal Mart stopped selling AR-15s, those could kill somebody.

So I've never heard of mixing bleach and ammonia. When I googled it, the first thing that came up was the formation of chlorine gas, which was of course a chemical weapon used in WW1.

Why is this a house hold cleaning technique used by grandma?

punkey71
04-25-16, 14:48
When I was a paramedic we'd go to about one of those a month.

You ran an anhydrous ammonia call every month?

SteyrAUG
04-25-16, 14:55
So I've never heard of mixing bleach and ammonia. When I googled it, the first thing that came up was the formation of chlorine gas, which was of course a chemical weapon used in WW1.

It's not, as you noted it results in a chemical gas. But grandma probably cleaned with ammonia and water and then when the floors were dry, she likely mopped things a second time with bleach and water.

chuckman
04-25-16, 15:20

Good catch. No. Don't know why I quoted that post. Ammonia and bleach.

RazorBurn
04-25-16, 15:24
That woman is damn lucky the kids wanted popsicles!

Alex V
04-25-16, 15:28
I think I learned not to mix those two at about the age of 8. Then again, my parents are engineers...

EEK!

Firefly
04-25-16, 15:34

Ikr, it should be weekly given the fricking meth cooks that pollute the world these days.

If you see a grungy dude with a sprite bottle that looks like it has some strange mess in it, disappear from the vicinity.

It's either a potential meth grenade or if he burps it, will release Anhydrous Ammonia.

Like these dumbass rookies thinking it's the 50s and it's cool to sniff random ass bottles for liquor. Quickest way to destroy your lungs like ever

ETA: Meth Grenade in Action. Keep in mind these are trained officers who had a case of butterfingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kq7zj8Kd_Q

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-25-16, 16:18
What in the hell was that?

JC5188
04-25-16, 16:36
What in the hell was that?

They call it "shake & bake" on the news. I have no idea what's in it, but it's burned several houses/cars in this area.

punkey71
04-25-16, 16:51
Ikr, it should be weekly given the fricking meth cooks that pollute the world these days.

ETA: Meth Grenade in Action. Keep in mind these are trained officers who had a case of butterfingers

Yes sir, I'm very familiar.

On a side note, those dudes aren't trained well at all.

If theres a hose on the ground, you don't wear plastic - for exactly the reason shown in the video.

punkey71
04-25-16, 16:58
They call it "shake & bake" on the news. I have no idea what's in it, but it's burned several houses/cars in this area.
Its also called the One Pot method.

Without proper attention during the cook you can get explosions due to over pressuring the "pot" (typically a plastic soda bottle).

The "Shake" in Shake and Bake is the agitation by shaking the pot during the cook.

Too much shake and not enough burp (releasing built up pressure & heat during the chemical reaction) gets you a bomb.

Crazy stuff.

Firefly
04-25-16, 17:24
I said "trained", I didn't say "well trained".

Plus a CBRN protective mask does no good. SCBA is required. The vapors will eat right through a CBRN filter.

Plus you get bonus points for knowing the correct term One Pot.

Shake and Bake is usually how Mexicans do it and involves ovens.

The most common in the Meth Triangle or your average trailer park is Nazi method. But we won't discuss criminal skills on an open forum.

But "banana pudding" is what you exhale if you breathe that shit in. Almost guaranteed death sentence.

Sick shit out there folks.

SteyrAUG
04-25-16, 18:33

Plus a CBRN protective mask does no good. SCBA is required. The vapors will eat right through a CBRN filter.

The most common in the Meth Triangle or your average trailer park is Nazi method. But we won't discuss criminal skills on an open forum.

But "banana pudding" is what you exhale if you breathe that shit in. Almost guaranteed death sentence.

My favorite is appendix carry one pot.

http://www.kcci.com/news/man-had-meth-lab-in-his-pants-police-say/35684300

Outlander Systems
04-25-16, 18:43
Yo homie.

Do us all a solid, and start a thread/PSA on the banana pudding lungs.

I don't roll with junkies, so this shit blows my mind.

Inkslinger
04-25-16, 19:58

Grandmas house was in Ypres.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-25-16, 20:07
Methology courtesy of the RFT.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/methology-101-old-school-meth-labs-give-way-to-shake-and-bake/Content?oid=2483461

Seems like you could set up a bubbler to keep air from entering, but vent excess pressure.

I was looking to play around with some alkali activated geopolymer and I was wondering why I was getting weird looks when I was asking for pure sodium hydroxide. I assume they just use drain cleaner?

26 Inf
04-25-16, 20:33
Methology courtesy of the RFT.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/stlouis/methology-101-old-school-meth-labs-give-way-to-shake-and-bake/Content?oid=2483461

Seems like you could set up a bubbler to keep air from entering, but vent excess pressure.

I was wondering why I was getting weird looks when I was asking for pure sodium hydroxide.

How many quarts of mountain dew do you drink a day? Could you post a full frontal picture with a big old, lips drawn back, feral grin, all teeth showing? As well as arms? Thanks.

JC5188
04-25-16, 20:36
Its also called the One Pot method.

Without proper attention during the cook you can get explosions due to over pressuring the "pot" (typically a plastic soda bottle).

The "Shake" in Shake and Bake is the agitation by shaking the pot during the cook.

Too much shake and not enough burp (releasing built up pressure & heat during the chemical reaction) gets you a bomb.

Crazy stuff.

Never heard of "one pot method". Learn something new everyday.

3 AE
04-25-16, 20:43
Just a bit of info on mixing bleach with ammonia and other cleaning products. Let's be safe out there!

http://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/HealthyHome/Contaminants/BleachMixingDangers

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-25-16, 21:15
How many quarts of mountain dew do you drink a day? Could you post a full frontal picture with a big old, lips drawn back, feral grin, all teeth showing? As well as arms? Thanks.

Funny thing is I have switched to Diet Dew because the Dr. Pepper wasn't good enough in the giddy-up-and-go dept. ;)

Have a Chemistry degree, and I'm a REALLY bad chemist. My R&D guys shake their heads. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach do S&M (sales and marketing).

ramairthree
04-26-16, 00:28
I think I learned not to mix those two at about the age of 8. Then again, my parents are engineers...

EEK!

My dad was a mechanic, my mother a waitress, and grand parents without HS diplomas and we knew not to mix them.
Just one of the basic things I don't understand people have not picked up.
Like why starting fires with gasoline or seeing how much air your tire can take are bad ideas basic kind of stuff.

Moose-Knuckle
04-26-16, 03:35

EEK!

I had a way different childhood than most youngsters, knew the ingredients to toxic chloramine vapor at an early age.

TaterTot
04-26-16, 15:23
I've spent 11 years in 911 EMS. People are stupid, and common sense isn't very common. I used to make about one of these a month. Lack of forethought and general knowledge keeps me employed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
04-26-16, 15:32
My dad was a mechanic, my mother a waitress, and grand parents without HS diplomas and we knew not to mix them.
Just one of the basic things I don't understand people have not picked up.
Like why starting fires with gasoline or seeing how much air your tire can take are bad ideas basic kind of stuff.

I have quoted you in my signature, so you obviously know I'm not an idiot. However, I honestly never knew not to mix bleach and ammonia.

On the other hand, I never would mix bleach and ammonia so I wasn't too relieved when I found out by reading this thead. I would probably use gasoline to clean something in a room lit by candles before I randomly mixed bleach and ammonia. What purpose does that even serve?

I don't even have ammonia in my house, except for Sweets 762.

MegademiC
04-26-16, 16:40
Yup, chloramines, and possibly a little hydrazine, though I think you need specific conditions for that.

On a side note, don't mix bleach with acetone either. It forms chloroform, and is really good at killing bugs, but is also carcinogenic.

Actually, don't mix bleach with anything. Chlorine compounds are nasty.

And keep ammonia away from copper.