PDA

View Full Version : What holster do you recommend?

ubet
04-25-16, 16:25
Need a holster for a class I'm taking in June, no serpas and that is what I have. I would like a paddle holster, what would you guys recommend? The pistol is a springfield trp operator.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

daniel87
04-25-16, 18:22
Need a holster for a class I'm taking in June, no serpas and that is what I have. I would like a paddle holster, what would you guys recommend? The pistol is a springfield trp operator.

Lets start with the basics

What type of class

What type of holster/ other gear arrangment is required.
(For example a rifle class were you wear an lbe or a chest rig may say no ccw iwb holster. It may say if using a sneaky bag ccw iwb is ok)

What is your "budget" is it for only the class or do you want quality

Is this a duty class.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ubet
04-25-16, 18:24
Not a duty class, it's larry vickers 1911 operators course. I only wear one on my waist as I don't have a chest rig.

And i want to keep it under $100

daniel87
04-25-16, 18:27
Are you wanting retention, are you wanting iwb or owb
I admit i like dale fricke holsters his warranty is literally tell the truth and he will make it right

His arent retention but the lock up tight

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ubet
04-25-16, 18:51
Not wanting retention, paddle, so it would be owb. I'll look into dale

CCK
04-25-16, 18:55
G -code stuff is good to go.

Antonio5005
04-25-16, 19:31
I'm with the guy above, g-code. I've owned several and they get the job done! And that's definitely within your budget too. Take a look at their mag carriers as well, all that might fit in your budget

Linebacker
04-25-16, 19:42
Blade Tech.

civiliansheepdog
04-25-16, 19:48
Basko Tactical Gear. Completely custom kydex under $70. Check him out on Facebook, will launch website in May.

johnt43
04-25-16, 20:47
Wild Bill owb paddle.

ubet
04-26-16, 13:02
Looked at g code, they say they are 4-6 weeks in the faq, so they might not get it here in time.

Does raven do paddle holsters or just belt?

Alien holsters, any experiences with them?

I'm looking into the rest of what has been mentioned. Thanks for everything so far

tacticaldesire
04-26-16, 13:03
I have a G-code XST paddle holster that I absolutely love.

Turnkey11
04-26-16, 16:18
Safariland ALS from copquest, $40.

Aaron_B
04-26-16, 20:01
Not a paddle holster but Raven Concealment holsters are excellent and I have been using them for years. Also, JM Custom Kydex makes very sold holsters for virtually any flavor.

Aaron_B
04-26-16, 20:02
Looked at g code, they say they are 4-6 weeks in the faq, so they might not get it here in time.

Does raven do paddle holsters or just belt?

Alien holsters, any experiences with them?

I'm looking into the rest of what has been mentioned. Thanks for everything so far

Raven doesn't offer a paddle but they do have the quick mount straps that are nice for easy on/off.

civiliansheepdog
04-26-16, 20:18
Your insane if you pay $95 for a Raven...absurd given what's out there now with better looks and just as reliable. It's kydex people!

CA_Shooter
04-27-16, 04:17
Safariland 5198. Comes with paddle and belt loop attachment. Inexpensive but good quality and well suited for classes/competition/carry.

jmnielsen
04-27-16, 09:21
Personally I would go with gcode, OSH with RTI and and paddle with the RTI receiver. Then you can simply buy other OSH or other holster with RTI and use the same paddle, or any other thing you want that they offer.

I do recommend buying from them or a dealer and keeping your invoice. I was gifted an OSH about a year and a half ago that broke and the guy that bought it for me can't remember where, so I can't get the holster replaced/fixed under warranty.

I have a couple incogs and XSTs that have been trouble free though.

jmnielsen
04-27-16, 09:22

Find a dealer of theirs that has what you want in stock. I bought stuff from Coffman Concealment and he was great to deal with.

Uprange41
04-27-16, 11:27
Safariland ALS from copquest, $40.

OP asked for no retention, but I'll second the ALS anyway...

The retention is a breeze and doesn't affect your draw with other holsters, and my ALS's have been boringly reliable/durable in every environment or condition.

Gingerkid
04-27-16, 17:45
CompTac paddle with 15 degree cant. 2-5 day build time. Solid gear. Pick of single or double mag pouches, also clip on option.

Turnkey11
04-28-16, 01:06

The retention is a breeze and doesn't affect your draw with other holsters, and my ALS's have been boringly reliable/durable in every environment or condition.

Thats why I listed it, I find them faster than my kydex and leather rigs that have nothing but friction for retention.

malstew123
04-28-16, 19:32
Ive got Comp Tac, G Code and Safariland products. G Code makes quality stuff, but their waiting times are a bit long. I m spoiled being located currently in Jacksonville NC where I can get any of their stuff locally. Ive got their RTI holster as well as incog holsters. Really like the Incog, would look at Ebay for any of the G Code stuff. As far as Safariland. W/ SLS you get plenty of retention, but if you dont need the hood then the ALS model or look at ready tactical holster (SKDTac.com sells for about 60)

GFX_9
05-01-16, 06:39
I recommend Griffon Industries, however its a tad above your target price range. Ships same day if you can add it to your cart. Dont forget magazine carriers as well...
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/M3likeguns/78C90A9F-8FEE-4E2A-9182-7A6D56F7BE60_zpst1mtglqd.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/M3likeguns/media/78C90A9F-8FEE-4E2A-9182-7A6D56F7BE60_zpst1mtglqd.jpg.html)

HardToHandle
05-01-16, 09:31

I will third in on this. I have converted to ALS 5378 for all my overt, belt mounts. Absolutely no drama, mission focused holster at an affordable price point. With the Safariland clips, you can easier swap from paddle to belt. Without the clips, the paddle is quite secure and still can swapped in minutes for some other option.

Maybe this is not exactly where the OP is going, but the availability is good.

Vandal
05-02-16, 23:51
Another vote for the Safariland ALS. I'm do run the belt loops on mine but their paddle attachment is the best I've used so far.

TheBearMedic
05-12-16, 11:21
I'm with the guy above, g-code. I've owned several and they get the job done! And that's definitely within your budget too. Take a look at their mag carriers as well, all that might fit in your budget
I third this. I've been really happy with my G Code Holsters, whether OWB or IWB. I do, however, wish that they made an OWB with retention. I do the Safariland thing for retention holsters.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 14:15
Another huge ALS fan. For OWB or Duty rigs, they cannot be beat.

In fact, I just ordered a new 7377 7TS with a 1.5 inch drop adapter for an upcoming Vickers pistol/carbine class. They are one of the few manufactures that make a non kydex/non leather VP9 holster with retention.

For IWB, buy whatever. Dozens of kydex manufactures and hybrid holsters that are essentially the same thing. Buy one or 3 and run it.

For $40-50, no one can touch a ALS safariland. Modular, super fast draw, durable as hell, and retention. Hell the ALS with the thumb retention still draws faster than any kydex using pressure fit.

Copquest and Opticsplanet have the best prices, and both have coupon codes/free shipping.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 14:32
OP do you have the Operator TRP or non railed? If railed is it full railed or half rail?

No rail will open up the door to pretty much any non 5" 1911 holster. Railed severely limits your options.

For Non railed: Here are your Safarliand options:
http://www.safariland.com/holster-search?dwfrm_holsterfinder_gunid=275651&dwfrm_holsterfinder_lightid=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_addonid=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_guntype=pistol&dwfrm_holsterfinder_manufacturer=Springfield+Armory&dwfrm_holsterfinder_model=1911-A1&dwfrm_holsterfinder_barrellength=5.00&dwfrm_holsterfinder_caliber=.45+ACP&dwfrm_holsterfinder_haslight=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_lighttype=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_hasaddon=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_addontype=&prefn1=gunList&prefv1=275651&prefn2=lightListText&prefv2=none&prefn3=mountListText&prefv3=none

For Railed: Here are your Safarliand options:
http://www.safariland.com/holster-search?prefn1=gunList&prefn2=lightListText&prefv3=none&prefv1=276172&prefv2=none&prefn3=mountListText

I have a 6377 (http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/belt-slide/model-6377-als-concealment-belt-loop-holster-23337.html#dwfrm_holsterfinder_gunid=275651&dwfrm_holsterfinder_lightid=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_addonid=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_guntype=pistol&dwfrm_holsterfinder_manufacturer=Springfield%2BArmory&dwfrm_holsterfinder_model=1911-A1&dwfrm_holsterfinder_barrellength=5.00&dwfrm_holsterfinder_caliber=.45%2BACP&dwfrm_holsterfinder_haslight=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_lighttype=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_hasaddon=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_addontype=&prefn1=gunList&prefv1=275651&prefn2=lightListText&prefv2=none&prefn3=mountListText&prefv3=none&start=1) for carrying my non railed 1911's and love it. Fantastic holster for the $$.

Adding this: http://www.copquest.com/safariland-6070-mid-ride-belt-loop-adapter_23-2400.htm will make your life much easier and happier at an all day class as well.