PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years Ago Today - The Day That Changed My Life

Alex V
04-26-16, 10:25
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u521/WS6TransAm01/Boom%20Sticks/13095773_1038297006237021_1094316861228572352_n_zpsdjdod312.jpg (http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/WS6TransAm01/media/Boom%20Sticks/13095773_1038297006237021_1094316861228572352_n_zpsdjdod312.jpg.html)

30 Years ago today a seemingly insignificant experiment in the Reactor 4 building of the Vladimir Ilyich Lenin Nuclear Power Station.

My family and I lived in Kiev, about 100km in a strait line from Pryp'yat. Just like the rest of the country, we were kept in the dark for days. We first found out when my mom's cousins called us from the US as the news was breaking on all the media stations following the IAEA figuring out that the Soviets dun screwed the pooch.

My parents were both engineers, my mother having a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, and my father having a PhD in Environmental Engineering. They quickly scared the crap out of me and put the fear of radiation in me which lasted many MANY years. For several weeks I was not allowed outside. As no KI pills were available, my parents painted my ass with liquid Iodine in order to protect my thyroid because I would not drink it like they were able to.

I was not yet enrolled in school so my parents quickly put me on a train and sent me to relatives in Lvyv, a city close to the polish border and the furthest they could get me from Kiev at the time. Travel, even within the USSR was heavily restricted and one could not go from one republic to the other without permission. At the time, in light of the situation, no permission would be given. I spent months in Lvyv, away from my parents, only seeing them occasionally when they visited. I don't remember much of that time, but one story sticks with me. When I would come in from outside, I would take my hat and hit it with my hand over the porch before entering the house. When asked why or what I was doing, I would explain that I was dusting the radiation off my hat.

The time I was away is described by my parents as very surreal. Most children were taken out of the city, same as me, the streets were mostly empty despite is being spring/summer. My father was a Captain in the AirForce, and he received a notice to report for duty in Pryp'yat. Since service was compulsory and you were never truly out, there were local military offices in every region of the city. My father went to the office he was told to report to and actually gave the guy 500 Rubles to give him a way out. Some may look down upon this, but this wasn't defending the motherland, it was a death sentence. 500 Rubles was two months salary at the time. My father was excused for "medical reasons" I feel that saved his life.

When I returned to Kiev, it was obvious that I had changes. I refused to walk on the grass, getting me to go to the park took a lot of persuasion. The following fall I remember seeing kids lay in piles of leaves in front of our building and thinking to myself how stupid they were, and how much radiation those leaves had in them. Instead of playing soldiers or cowboys and Indians, my friends and I made geiger counters out of whatever toys we could take apart and played "Liquidators" Not exactly the most normal game for a 4 or 5 year old.

These events cemented the idea in my parents heads that we needed to move to the US as soon as possible and within a year, they submitted the paperwork to do so. It took 3+ years but eventually we came to the US. Even in Brooklyn NY, at the age of 8, it took me almost a year to trust my Dad that it was safe to walk and play on the grass.

Sorry for the long post. Just felt like sharing.

Kain
04-26-16, 10:31
Thank you for that.

Chameleox
04-26-16, 10:42
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was 6 when it happened, and I remember talking about it in school, but you don't often hear the real human stories about how the incident affected so many lives in the region.

TommyG
04-26-16, 10:52
Thanks for sharing your experience. I lived through the Three Mile Island scare at a similar age and remember being very afraid. Glad you made your way to the States.

djegators
04-26-16, 10:52
Wow, thanks for sharing.

chuckman
04-26-16, 11:24
That's an awesome story. Glad you and your family live to tell the tale.

Bulletdog
04-26-16, 11:39
Wow. Amazing story. Glad you are still here with us.

Firefly
04-26-16, 12:11
That is quite a life story.
The worst part is, IIRC, is that had they had not some political type being overbearing that day that they would've caught it and crisis would've been averted.

I read where a surviving scientist said when he saw Ghostbusters like in the 90s for the first time and they shut down the containment unit it gave him chills because that's kind of how the explosion looked.

Alex V
04-26-16, 12:30
And you know what the worst part it? No super powers... Im still waiting to be able to be invisible or set things on fire or climb walls. Marvel totally lied to me. I kid, but sometimes you have to make lite.

Another story:
11th Grade, Chemistry class in East Brunswick HS, NJ. We are discussing radioactive isotopes. The teacher passes around a Geiger Counter. As the class is handling it, pointing it at themselves and looking into the receiver opening you hear it click every now and then. I was in the last row as my last name starts with V. I get the thing, and it starts clicking just slightly quicker. No joke. And no, I was not wearing a watch with a phosphorescent face.

usmcvet
04-26-16, 12:36
I am glad it worked out well for you and your family. Scary, Scary times.

SteyrAUG
04-26-16, 13:38
Glad you made it out.

I remember watching that on the news. I remember hearing about the guys who "knew they were done" staying behind to cover everything in concrete. In 1986 we weren't in a hurry to talk about the heroic actions of our enemies, but you still had to admire some of the heroics.

williejc
04-26-16, 13:41
Alex, come on down and move to Texas so you can get out of that Soviet Republic of N.J. We need more people that will contribute and that we can depend on. Seriously.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-26-16, 15:43
Alex, come on down and move to Texas so you can get out of that Soviet Republic of N.J. We need more people that will contribute and that we can depend on. Seriously.

This, and the first beer is on me if you move to North Texas.

Benito
04-26-16, 16:23
I was a thousand miles away from you at the time, also a young kid. That episode scared the hell out of my folks and I, so I can only imagine what it was like for people a lot closer to the site. But, sorry, man, you ain't got nothin' on today's college kids' sufferings, triggers, microtraumas and whatnot. I mean, they read about slavery and someone being discriminated against, damnit! The struggle is real.

Cincinnatus
04-26-16, 16:38

As a fellow North-Texan, let me pitch in, too.

Alex V
04-26-16, 16:52

As a fellow North-Texan, let me pitch in, too.

Like I said in the free state thread, I loved Austin. Didn't get to see much outside of that since we were there for the F1 race in 2012 but what little I saw, I loved. I know most will say Austin isn't real Texas, well, if real Texas is better than Austin, the Texas is freakin' awesome!

We flew into Houston and drove a rental Mustang convertible to New Braunfels where we got our hotel. I loved every minute.

My cousins are moving to Dallas next July so I will be visiting there for sure. When they wife and I discuss leaving NJ, Texas is always on the top of the list, I see a ton of openings for Architects in Houston and Dallas.

WillBrink
04-26-16, 16:57
Great story. No health problems in your family related to radiation exposure? I know thyroid cancer and leukemia rates went way up after the event in the region.

ColtSeavers
04-26-16, 17:01
Thank you for sharing and glad you and yours were able to not only get through it, but move on to greener pastures.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-26-16, 17:05
Like I said in the free state thread, I loved Austin. Didn't get to see much outside of that since we were there for the F1 race in 2012 but what little I saw, I loved. I know most will say Austin isn't real Texas, well, if real Texas is better than Austin, the Texas is freakin' awesome!

We flew into Houston and drove a rental Mustang convertible to New Braunfels where we got our hotel. I loved every minute.

My cousins are moving to Dallas next July so I will be visiting there for sure. When they wife and I discuss leaving NJ, Texas is always on the top of the list, I see a ton of openings for Architects in Houston and Dallas.

Yep, tons of development in both the Houston and Dallas areas so finding something should not be hard. Just remember, Houston is a city built on a swamp so when it gets hot the humidity is crazy. But the trade off is you are 30 minutes to an hour from the coast. Just in the Plano/Frisco area(suburbs north of Dallas) there is several billion dollars worth of commercial development happening along the 121/DNT corridor, it's nuts.

duece71
04-26-16, 17:06
I was in 7th grade and remember watching everything going on on TV. One of my history teachers insisted we watch everything on the news as this was an event we hopefully wouldn't see again. There is a website run by a woman whom rides her motorcycle around Chernobyl and documents it with writing and pictures......really interesting. Glad you made it out.

wildcard600
04-26-16, 17:33
I was in 7th grade and remember watching everything going on on TV. One of my history teachers insisted we watch everything on the news as this was an event we hopefully wouldn't see again. There is a website run by a woman whom rides her motorcycle around Chernobyl and documents it with writing and pictures......really interesting. Glad you made it out.

The woman on the bike wouldn't be named Elena, would it ? If so, that was exposed as something of a hoax. I remember it making the rounds on motorcycle forums back in 2004. http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread_archive.asp?threadid=8951

Alex, glad you made it out in one piece. Thanks for sharing.

SurplusShooter
04-26-16, 17:57
Alex V, you are a firsthand witness to history and I'm glad that you shared this story with us.

Alex V
04-26-16, 18:39
Great story. No health problems in your family related to radiation exposure? I know thyroid cancer and leukemia rates went way up after the event in the region.

Will, as of today there is only one incident we can we attribute to Chernobyl. A few years ago my younger cousin needed thyroid surgery. She was born in January of '86 and even though her parents moved her out of Kiev as they did with me, she did live there three years more than I did, coming to the US in '93. She was three years younger than me, stayed longer, maybe it was enough. Obviosly there is no way to link it directly, but it's pretty obvious.

Other than that, knock on wood, nothing.

Edit for typo

Arik
04-26-16, 18:47
We lived 9hrs south in Moldova. I was 6 and remember my parents talking about it and of course there zelonka and iodine came out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Don Robison
04-26-16, 18:52
Thanks for sharing that. I attended the Ukraine Flight Academy in Kremenchug several times for Mi17 quals and currency. The old instructors there used to tell stories about the men who flew helo missions over the reactor area and how all of them died within years.

titsonritz
04-26-16, 22:02
Wow, heavy duty. Thanks for sharing.

WillBrink
04-26-16, 22:18
Will, as of today only one inside my can we attribute to Chernobyl. A few years ago my younger cousin needed thyroid surgery. She was born in January of '86 and even though her parents moved her out of Kiev as they did with me, she did live there three years more than I did, coming to the US in '93. She was three years younger than me, stayed longer, maybe it was enough. Obviosly there is no way to link it directly, but it's pretty obvious.

Other than that, knock on wood, nothing.

Good for you and yours brother! Caught early, thyroid cancer is fully curable. A tad late (not knowing your history) but welcome to the home of the brave and land of the free sir. You are what makes America great.

duece71
04-26-16, 23:24
The woman on the bike wouldn't be named Elena, would it ? If so, that was exposed as something of a hoax. I remember it making the rounds on motorcycle forums back in 2004. http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread_archive.asp?threadid=8951

Alex, glad you made it out in one piece. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, that was her and the web blog was called kid of speed. Sure enough, the website was taken down. Oh, well....it's the Internet and that is my excuse. ��

Moose-Knuckle
04-27-16, 04:08
Stories like this remind me of a documentary I watched once on this gentleman.

The Tragic Tale of Atomic Man: Life as a Radioactive Human

For the first time since the accident in 1976, workers at Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Washington are planning to clean out the room where chemicals exploded in Harold McCluskey's face, showering him with radiation 500 times the occupational limit and embedding radioactive americium in his skull, turning him into the Atomic Man.

When the accident happened on August 30, 1976, McCluskey had just returned to his job as a technician after a five-month strike had shut down the Plutonium Finishing Plant at Hanford. The material he was working with had become unstable after the long hiatus and so right after he added nitric acid as instructed, it exploded, blowing out the glove box that was supposed to contain it. He was exposed to the highest level of radioactive americium ever recorded.

http://gizmodo.com/the-tragic-tale-of-atomic-man-the-most-radioactive-hum-1601443536

Alex V
04-27-16, 13:35
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I actually forgot about what day it was until my Mother texted me asking how her "hibakusha" was doing. :D