PDA

View Full Version : New Glock for FBI? (G17M)

Pages : [1] 2

dirkmagurk
04-26-16, 15:50
Anyone heard anything about Glock releasing a new frame that has a lack of or removable finger grooves to comply with the FBI's new pistol requirements?

DirectTo
04-26-16, 16:14
I don't have any knowledge at all about the RFP, but I would imagine/hope we see interchangeable front straps as well as the current back straps.

We've got medium and large back straps both with and without a beaver tail, maybe we'll see smooth, G17-size, and G19-size finger grooved front straps across all of the available guns. That would be a minor production cost once the R&D was done, and allow a huge variability in frame size and fit for any shooter.

QuickStrike
04-26-16, 16:40
This is the main reason why I'm holding off any new glock purchases. Saving it for one without those stupid grooves!

HeruMew
04-26-16, 16:55
It has been over six years since the Gen 4 introduction.

While I don't think we will get a "Gen 5" soon, per say, I do think we could see new models/variations start.

Maybe even an updated Gen 4, or a 4.5 if they add the front straps for LEO and Agencies use.

No matter what, if they do release them, don't expect to have one in hand for awhile. Especially if their primary concern would be to get them in Agent's hands as fast as possible.

badness
04-26-16, 18:55
It has been over six years since the Gen 4 introduction.

While I don't think we will get a "Gen 5" soon, per say, I do think we could see new models/variations start.

Maybe even an updated Gen 4, or a 4.5 if they add the front straps for LEO and Agencies use.

No matter what, if they do release them, don't expect to have one in hand for awhile. Especially if their primary concern would be to get them in Agent's hands as fast as possible.

They should release a gen5 and go back to using gen 3 slides and making the frame more customizable.

okie john
04-26-16, 19:13
This is the main reason why I'm holding off any new glock purchases.

The VP9 is the main reason I'm holding off any new Glock purchases.

Okie John

Dionysusigma
04-26-16, 21:39
- Interchangeable front and back straps
- Gen 3 slide
- RTF texturing (without the "Fish Gills")
- Ditch the bracket rear sight for solid black, maybe widen the notch a little
- Imperceptibly larger slide removal lever (trapezoidal?)
- Slightly larger/longer magazine release (ambi?)
- Ambi slide release lever

That's all I'd want from a Gen 5. In terms of engineering and manufacturing costs, it shouldn't be too pricey. A lot of that is what people seem to do with their Fun Guns anyway.

dirkmagurk
04-27-16, 08:43
I really hope this is true, I'm tired of spending time or money modifying the grip. Now with the gen 4 texturing and beavertail back straps if they loose the finger grooves all I'll have to do is undercut the trigger guard.

C4IGrant
04-27-16, 09:30
Anyone heard anything about Glock releasing a new frame that has a lack of or removable finger grooves to comply with the FBI's new pistol requirements?

Yes, I have. We (the public) probably won't see it till fall though.

C4

Firefly
04-27-16, 10:33
If this is a real thing, I'm in like Flint.
A Glock Gen 3/4 with removable finger grooves in 17, 19, and 21 is worth waiting for.

I've begrudgingly lived with finger grooves but can't wait for an option that doesn't require mutilation of my frame.

WickedWillis
04-27-16, 13:28

C4

Thanks for the insider info!

TAZ
04-27-16, 14:23
Maybe not getting the call that my 19MOS is in stock is turning out to be a good thing.

dirkmagurk
04-27-16, 17:01
Hopefully they're released before the inevitable panic buying to come the closer we get to presidential election!

Firefly
04-27-16, 17:34
Hopefully they're released before the inevitable panic buying to come the closer we get to presidential election!

Why? It's just a pistol. Mags, dude. Stock up on mags.

Glocks were bountiful even during the First Clinton Ban. They could release them in 2020 and it still wouldn't affect anything.

WickedWillis
04-27-16, 17:39
Why? It's just a pistol. Mags, dude. Stock up on mags.

Glocks were bountiful even during the First Clinton Ban. They could release them in 2020 and it still wouldn't affect anything.

I learned my lesson the hard way last time (SH). Mags and ammo it is for me this time around.

dirkmagurk
04-27-16, 17:49
I have enough Glock mags to last my children's children. Where were you after Sandy Hook? In my neck of the woods you couldn't find a Glock anywhere regardless of the model.

HCM
04-27-16, 23:03
-
- Ditch the bracket rear sight for solid black, maybe widen the notch a little

The plastic dovetail protectors Glock supplies are not sights. PS - If you want a plain black rear before you install real sights, you can sharpie out the lines or just remove the rear sight and re-install it backwards.

Hero
04-28-16, 04:22

C4

Do you think it will still be called Gen4, or will it be Gen5?

Speaking of mags, I'm hoping whatever modifications they're making to the outside of the grip/frame doesn't lead them to having to (or deciding to) change the magazine itself. Then all those Glock mags we're all stocked up on will be irrelevant to the new design.

methical20
04-28-16, 09:49
Do you think it will still be called Gen4, or will it be Gen5?

Speaking of mags, I'm hoping whatever modifications they're making to the outside of the grip/frame doesn't lead them to having to (or deciding to) change the magazine itself. Then all those Glock mags we're all stocked up on will be irrelevant to the new design.

Glock may not respond to consumer demands as quickly as we would like, but I doubt that they would make such a terrible decision to change the magazines..

Besides, there is no real need to. They can play around with the ergonomics of the frame plenty without changing the geometry of the magazine well.

HeruMew
04-28-16, 10:14
One of my favorite "Glocksmithing" books I have read is from Pat Sweeney in "Glock: Deconstructed"

In this, he goes in depth of how, in his opinion (and many others) that between Gen 2 and Gen 3 would have been the only "optimal" timeframe to do a magazine redesign/change.

Apparently, while not public, Glock has advised a lot of their dealers, around the time when Gen 3 and Gen 4 were being announced/released, who were concerned with Magazine changes that they would not be exploring alternative magazines.

The reasoning behind, why they have avoided changing mags at this point now, is because of the exact reasons represented by a couple in this forum topic. Hundreds of dollars into OEM magazines to wind up with their next, best, model not being compatible? It would destroy part of their reputation. While I am sure they could absorb the blow, without any issues, we would see a less hype/following for a newly designed Glock, at this point, because a lot of people won't want two sets of hundreds of dollars in magazines.

Their time to redesign the ergonomics (they go hand in hand with the magazine), magazine, and overall parts placement is gone. Once the gen 3 truly caught hold in the US civilian market, they lost their ability to make such large changes without losing some following. Overall though, I don't think we will see an impact large enough to remove them from the top "65% of all LEO Utilization", and such, regardless of the direction they take.

Renegade
04-28-16, 11:28

Replaceable straps are easy. It is other parts of the RFP that will require a bigger redesign.

saints75
04-28-16, 13:49
I heard from a good source that Glock was designing a Gen 5 for the Army Pistol Trails coming up. It was going to incorporate new some designs from the 42 and 43. Like the slide stop and slid lock springs. I was told as of now, or back when I heard this a few months ago, it was not going to be for sale to the public because it was designed for the Army. Knowing Glock, it probably made for the public right after the Army Trails.

Jpoe88
04-28-16, 16:06
I heard from a good source that Glock was designing a Gen 5 for the Army Pistol Trails coming up. It was going to incorporate new some designs from the 42 and 43. Like the slide stop and slid lock springs. I was told as of now, or back when I heard this a few months ago, it was not going to be for sale to the public because it was designed for the Army. Knowing Glock, it probably made for the public right after the Army Trails.

That's what happened last go around wasn't it? Taurus had their 24/7 OSS, which was based off of their entry. I know its Taurus, but just using as an example.

trinydex
04-28-16, 19:33
why didn't they just make it without finger grooves to begin with? no one knows.

NongShim
04-28-16, 21:08
Gen 1 and 2 had no grooves. I would rather have it without grooves, but I've never lost sleep over them.

brushy bill
04-28-16, 23:26
why didn't they just make it without finger grooves to begin with? no one knows.

I've always read it was to gain import points, but I don't know why that would be necessary as they were bringing the Gen 1s and 2s in with no issues. I do recall a lot of folks installing the Hogue finger groove grip sleeve on the Gen 2s. Not sure if this had anything to do with it though.

Mike169
04-29-16, 11:47

I never really understood why there's so much hate for the finger grooves.. I've never had a single issue with them..

Renegade
04-29-16, 11:53
I never really understood why there's so much hate for the finger grooves.. I've never had a single issue with them..

They do not align with my fingers. So instead of my fingers being between the grooves, they are on top of them.

Mike169
04-29-16, 13:27
They do not align with my fingers. So instead of my fingers being between the grooves, they are on top of them.

Fair enough, that would be annoying for sure

Dionysusigma
04-29-16, 14:38
Same issue for me, until I got used to them. But having just picked up a Gen 2 G17, it is so much more comfortable. And finger grooves themselves aren't a bad idea: HK got them right with the P30 and VP9... it's when it's almost a jutting platform like the M16A2 grip that it's annoying.

The "Glock hump" is another topological oddity of the grip that a lot of people seem to get rid of, too. Even the Gen 4 didn't seem to solve it, even with the swappable backstraps.

Mike169
05-01-16, 10:35
Same issue for me, until I got used to them. But having just picked up a Gen 2 G17, it is so much more comfortable. And finger grooves themselves aren't a bad idea: HK got them right with the P30 and VP9... it's when it's almost a jutting platform like the M16A2 grip that it's annoying.

The "Glock hump" is another topological oddity of the grip that a lot of people seem to get rid of, too. Even the Gen 4 didn't seem to solve it, even with the swappable backstraps.

I totally agree with the AR finger groove. I bought magpul grips for nothing more than to get rid of that hump..

Roadblock
05-02-16, 00:24
I would LOVE to see a GLOCK 19 Gen5 or whatever you want to call it with NO FINGER GROOVE bumps. The 17 Gen3-4 groove fit "OK" with my hand but the Gen3-4 19 and 23 do not. The Gen2's I had worked great but my fingers sit on top of the bumps on anything after the Gen2.

I've had a ton of GLOCK's over the years. I've had GLOCK 19 and 23 Gen2's, 17, 19, 22 and 23 Gen3's. 17 and 19 Gen4's as well as the current GLOCK 43. I absolutely love the lack of finger groove bumps on the 43, which just makes sense due to the small frame but it made sense years ago. I'm surprised they stuck around as long as they have with everyone who hates them.

I thought about sending my 19 Gen4 out and having the bumps removed and blended smooth but I ended up selling it and picking up a GLOCK 17 Gen4 and the GLOCK 43.

GLOCK 19 with no bumps from the factory and a rail is my dream gun.

Mjolnir
05-02-16, 05:41
If this is a real thing, I'm in like Flint...

Just don't drink the tap water...

nml
05-02-16, 12:14
Gen 1 and 2 had no grooves. I would rather have it without grooves, but I've never lost sleep over them.This. Won't buy a new Glock to have it different than the other 50.

09fatbob
05-05-16, 13:15
I heard and read Sig 320

thetonk
05-05-16, 16:36
Those finger grooves are the only reason I don't own a glock

Doc Safari
05-05-16, 16:41
I have to be really brutally honest on the Glock grip: I used to despise the finger grooves but after almost dropping a Gen 2 Glock with wet/sweaty hands, I want the rough texture and the finger grooves if that helps me hold onto the pistol. The incident in question was an HD scenario that luckily turned out to be a false alarm, but I still have the feeling I got down my spine when that plastic grip tried to slip out of my wet hand while unholstering.

platoonDaddy
05-17-16, 12:04
Retired FBI friend yesterday was talking to his buddies at the academy and they are down to two. Interesting that one of the two finalist was made specifically for the trials (not in current production). Of course with the non-disclosure agreement (NDA) they signed, he wouldn't release the two finalist. :-(

Ammo selected is 9mm G2 Speer Gold-Dot

GJM
05-17-16, 12:14
Retired FBI friend yesterday was talking to his buddies at the academy and they are down to two. Interesting that one of the two finalist was made specifically for the trials (not in current production). Of course with the non-disclosure agreement (NDA) they signed, he wouldn't release the two finalist. :-(

So, in other words, a Sig 320 and Gen 4.5 Glock.

WickedWillis
05-17-16, 12:45
So, in other words, a Sig 320 and Gen 4.5 Glock.

LOL! My thoughts exactly

DirectTo
05-17-16, 12:48
Did Speer get the kinks worked out of the G2? They were having expansion issues in sub-4" barrels originally and there's a ton of it online cheaply for "training only".

C4IGrant
05-17-16, 12:49
Did Speer get the kinks worked out of the G2? They were having expansion issues in sub-4" barrels originally and there's a ton of it online cheaply for "training only".

Yes. The FBI has been running it for close to a year now.

C4

C4IGrant
05-17-16, 12:50

The FBI gave Glock the new specs about 3 years ago we were told. So our guess is that the one gun is a new Glock and the other one is the SIG 320.

C4

jmoore
05-17-16, 12:55

I felt the same way - until I got a Sig P320c without the grooves. While it is true that - in the bigger picture - the grooves aren't that important, it certainly IS nice when a gun feels 'right'. OTOH - M&Ps feel great in my hand, but there were too many other issues for me to overlook there.

john

JonInWA
05-18-16, 13:03
The FBI gave Glock the new specs about 3 years ago we were told. So our guess is that the one gun is a new Glock and the other one is the SIG 320.

C4

That's my thought as well. 2017 could be a very interesting year.

Best, Jon

HCM
05-18-16, 21:34

Sort answer- yes.

The design is sound, Speer had a production process error resulting in a bunch of out of spec G2 bullets which did not expand as required. Otherwise, nothing wrong with the loaded ammo.

Not to derail the thread but do you know any place which still has the "training only" bulk pack G2 in stock?

Father of 3
05-18-16, 22:05
Maybe a G19 sized M&P?

DirectTo
05-19-16, 00:31
Not to derail the thread but do you know any place which still has the "training only" bulk pack G2 in stock?
Thanks for the info.

Recoil Gunworks - https://www.recoilgunworks.com - has the ammo... $100 for 250 rounds or $335 for 1000. I bought a fair amount and it's all been typical Speer quality.

WickedWillis
05-19-16, 12:07
Found.

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=speer&sort=3a&page=3

HeruMew
05-19-16, 12:23
Awesome industry insight in this thread.

Thanks to all, Grant especially, for keeping us informed when these questions pop up.

C4IGrant
05-19-16, 13:03
Awesome industry insight in this thread.

Thanks to all, Grant especially, for keeping us informed when these questions pop up.

We try. I am lucky enough to be close friends to a Glock factory guy and an active FBI agent. So I get intel from two sources. :-)

C4

jedi391
05-20-16, 11:41
Have you heard anything about the next gen M&P?

C4IGrant
05-26-16, 13:57

Just bits and pieces. Nothing substantial.

The Glock designation is "M" for this new generation of pistol (don't know what it stands for). So 17M, 19M, etc.. The armorers manual is out for it as well so we suspect that that gun will show itself by Fall.

C4

Pawnee
05-26-16, 14:43

For you do-it-yourselfers, the finger groves are very easy to remove with a dremmel tool. I am no gunsmith, but was pleased with my result on the very first try. This might muck up your resale efforts though.

tacticaldesire
05-26-16, 14:54
Just bits and pieces. Nothing substantial.

The Glock designation is "M" for this new generation of pistol (don't know what it stands for). So 17M, 19M, etc.. The armorers manual is out for it as well so we suspect that that gun will show itself by Fall.

C4

Could the M mean......Modular? :eek:

HeruMew
05-26-16, 15:05
Could the M mean......Modular? :eek:

I like the theory.

I, for one am excited to see what comes from the development. Especially to adhere to the new standards, I have to say I am glad I haven't been expanding my collection to much lately to buy when they're available.

WickedWillis
05-26-16, 16:38
I like the theory.

I, for one am excited to see what comes from the development. Especially to adhere to the new standards, I have to say I am glad I haven't been expanding my collection to much lately to buy when they're available.

I agree. I know most are into slamming Glock for rushing stuff, or for not listening to their fanbase, but I am excited to see what these are about.

Firefly
05-26-16, 17:21
A modular Gen 4 Glock that allows me to add RMRs and removable finger grooves without hacking and chopping?

Please let this happen.

WickedWillis
05-26-16, 17:22
A modular Gen 4 Glock that allows me to add RMRs and removable finger grooves without hacking and chopping?

Please let this happen.

I am dreaming of this one also....

nml
05-27-16, 01:19
Could the M mean......Modular? :eek:Money.

The same exact product but with a grip like the older modes (GEN1 and 2).

Gary1911A1
05-27-16, 08:51
Money.

The same exact product but with a grip like the older modes (GEN1 and 2).

I would"t doubt somewhere in Austria Glock still has the Molds for Gen 2 Models 17 and 19 Frames.

nml
05-27-16, 10:36
For sure. I was being ironic but Glock, for better or worse, has always been about the money. I don't see cause for excitement, but it is possible I underestimate finger grooves importance.

TMS951
05-27-16, 10:42
I would"t doubt somewhere in Austria Glock still has the Molds for Gen 2 Models 17 and 19 Frames.

Unless damaged or worn out it would be very stupid to throw such a thing out.

However I would think the FBI require a light rail.

I have a few Gen2 Glocks. They are great reliable guns, but especially with things like a Surefire XC1 I pretty much require a light rail on all my new guns. The XC1 fits perfectly on a glock 19. I have an IWB holster for this set up, it carries like a Glock 19 with out the light. Total game changer for me.

CoryCop25
05-27-16, 11:06

The M&P 2.0 will be released this summer. The older M&Ps will still be available. Kinda like Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks. The major differences with the M&P 2.0 are a more aggressive grip texture and a different trigger angle with more of a straight back pull.
I was in the M&P armorer's school this week so it's solid info.

WickedWillis
05-27-16, 11:13
The M&P 2.0 will be released this summer. The older M&Ps will still be available. Kinda like Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks. The major differences with the M&P 2.0 are a more aggressive grip texture and a different trigger angle with more of a straight back pull.
I was in the M&P armorer's school this week so it's solid info.

I am hoping with completely re-done triggers to remove the sponginess?

CoryCop25
05-27-16, 11:20
S&W obviously won't admit to their own inadequacies but I was under the assumption that it was going to be a more Glock-like trigger. S&W have upgraded a lot of parts on the M&P, the striker and slide release being the most noticeable. They didn't speak of their erratic accuracy issues though.

TAZ
05-27-16, 13:59

Unlikely actually. If they follow general business accounting principles once they write the tools off as done reviving them is more of a PITA than cutting new ones.

Wondering if this new gen is the reason for Glock being so behind on deliveries.

Dionysusigma
05-27-16, 16:52

For you do-it-yourselfers, the finger groves are very easy to remove with a Dremel tool. I am no gunsmith, but was pleased with my result on the very first try. This might muck up your resale efforts though.

What I'd like is a way to remove finger ridges, and add checkering that looked factory-original over the modified areas. Nobody seems to do that, though... :(

jedi391
05-27-16, 17:09
S&W obviously won't admit to their own inadequacies but I was under the assumption that it was going to be a more Glock-like trigger. S&W have upgraded a lot of parts on the M&P, the striker and slide release being the most noticeable. They didn't speak of their erratic accuracy issues though.

I'm wondering if these might be the beneficiaries of the new General Dynamics barrels?? It would make sense...the contract is pretty big, especially considering the whole MHS trials might be scrapped anyways. I'm cautiously optimistic.

kh86
06-06-16, 06:01
What I'd like is a way to remove finger ridges, and add checkering that looked factory-original over the modified areas. Nobody seems to do that, though... :(

The only way I could think of remotely doing this is by carving down those spots to some kind of checkering to your liking. I guess it could be a possibility?

methical20
06-23-16, 12:14
Just from reading on other forums (mostly PF) it sounds like they're going Glock. Any concrete info out there that someone would like to share?

AFshirt
06-23-16, 15:07
The 124g got very good reviews on the shooting the bull short barrel 9mm test

WillyB70
06-23-16, 15:08
Sort answer- yes.

The design is sound, Speer had a production process error resulting in a bunch of out of spec G2 bullets which did not expand as required. Otherwise, nothing wrong with the loaded ammo.

I've heard a lot about the Federal HST ammo also.

I am hoping with completely re-done triggers to remove the sponginess?

I have heard the trigger is a area of concern for the FBI also......hopefully a step in the right direction.

The 124g got very good reviews on the shooting the bull short barrel 9mm test

You might research the Federal HST 147 or 147+P. I have always been a 124 fan, but the new technology the new 147's are great against everything but windshields.

dirkmagurk
06-24-16, 08:01
Glock has some pretty good competition in the striker pistol game these days. If they can make a few improvements so that people don't have to spend extra for aftermarket triggers sights and grip mods that would be close to "perfection". I'm also excited about this new M&P. The M&P full-size fits my hand better than any other pistol I've used. If this 2.0 version comes with an improved trigger barrel and grip texture I'll be picking one up for sure.

misfit47
06-24-16, 10:15
Other than the trigger I love my Gen 4 g19. Will be getting another or a g34 soon.

Mike Papa
06-26-16, 11:39
Any updates?

I am seriously thinking of getting two new Blue Label Glock 19.4 that will act as place holders for now. If the new 19M is in fact a G19 in Gen 3 or 4 without finger grooves, I will use the 19.4s as trade material. If there is some feature that I truly don't like on the 19M, I can just keep the first two 19.4. I am basically standardizing on having several G19 and one G43 and several G17 magazines.

Jeff S.
06-26-16, 12:39
Just from reading on other forums (mostly PF) it sounds like they're going Glock. Any concrete info out there that someone would like to share?

I think the real hindrance to the matter: if anybody truly has knowledge of how the trials are going, then they're bound by non-disclosure agreements.

It seems many people have sources or friends within the FBI, and the word everywhere indicate that the Glock 17/19 and P320F/C are the two finalists. However, somebody on PF is adamant that this is not true, and he won't clarify in any way until after the process is over; all he will say is that he understands why people think this, but it's outdated info.

I can read into that in many different ways. Page 13, 14, and 15 and pretty interesting.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19641-FBI-solicitation-progress/page13

Mike Papa
06-26-16, 19:39

I can read into that in many different ways. Page 13, 14, and 15 and pretty interesting.

Thanks Jeff S. Very interesting reading.

jpmuscle
06-26-16, 20:20
Thanks Jeff S. Very interesting reading.
X2

Im excited over the prospect of a new Glock.

I'm deeply saddened over the SA Pro being phased out...

L-2
06-27-16, 10:00
Any updates?

I am seriously thinking of getting two new Blue Label Glock 19.4 that will act as place holders for now. If the new 19M is in fact a G19 in Gen 3 or 4 without finger grooves, I will use the 19.4s as trade material. If there is some feature that I truly don't like on the 19M, I can just keep the first two 19.4. I am basically standardizing on having several G19 and one G43 and several G17 magazines.
These things can take a long time and whatever next generation of Glock results could be completely different from today's expectations, if & when there is a next generation.
I say go ahead and go ahead with your G19Gen4 plan or even the G19Gen3 model.
By the time any "Gen5" is released, anything could be occurring in the firearms market.

L-2
06-27-16, 10:13
X2

Im excited over the prospect of a new Glock.

I'm deeply saddened over the SA Pro being phased out...

There are still Springfield Professional 1911s being used, at least until they completely break or there is a definitive order to exchange them by a certain date.
As we get older, we'll see various changes occur.

For the military, we've seen the 1911 generally leave in favor of the Beretta M9, only to hang in there for various special units; for the FBI, we've seen the Hi-Power and SIG P226 get adopted, only to leave for the SA Professional and what turned out to be the .40 Glocks, now we see the FBI going to 9mm with HRT, & I believe SWAT, already starting to adopt them.

This doesn't mean any of the prior handguns are somehow bad for use on an individual basis right now. It's just what some major agencies are doing.

I like Glocks quite a bit, too.

Mike Papa
06-27-16, 15:32
These things can take a long time and whatever next generation of Glock results could be completely different from today's expectations, if & when there is a next generation.
I say go ahead and go ahead with your G19Gen4 plan or even the G19Gen3 model.
By the time any "Gen5" is released, anything could be occurring in the firearms market.

Thanks L-2. That goes along with my thinking. I know if/when the 19M hits the market, it would be easier to have the cash in hand. But who knows when it will be and I would rather have a couple of spares put back before Nov. And it hedges my bet in case there is a feature I don't want on the 19M, like the MOS slide, or something crazy.

ggammell
06-27-16, 18:30
I think the real hindrance to the matter: if anybody truly has knowledge of how the trials are going, then they're bound by non-disclosure agreements.

It seems many people have sources or friends within the FBI, and the word everywhere indicate that the Glock 17/19 and P320F/C are the two finalists. However, somebody on PF is adamant that this is not true, and he won't clarify in any way until after the process is over; all he will say is that he understands why people think this, but it's outdated info.

Jeez, that's a whole lot of "my FBI buddy" and "well my FBI buddy".

opmike
06-27-16, 19:54

http://i.imgur.com/0AnFDgB.png

DirectTo
06-27-16, 20:26
Well my FBI buddy says they're going for the all new .50AE M&P with PSA AR-16s (better than the 15, stamped "law enforcement") for backup.

WillyB70
06-28-16, 19:58
Well my FBI buddy says they're going for the all new .50AE M&P with PSA AR-16s (better than the 15, stamped "law enforcement") for backup.

HAHAHA......I love it! Have to like it when people know everyone and everything!

ggammell
06-29-16, 17:45
SSD is reporting Glock wins.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/29/fbi-selects-glock-pistol/

More to follow apparently.

jpmuscle
06-29-16, 18:01
Very interesting

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160629/246ad4346aa5a9078d8dc687ffae23b2.jpg

WillyB70
06-29-16, 18:33
Honestly no surprise there! Just too much across the country use and trigger time.

SW CQB 45
06-29-16, 18:43
OK Glock, release some details and images and availability time frame for the rest of us.

WickedWillis
06-29-16, 18:50
OK Glock, release some details and images and availability time frame for the rest of us.

I am sure they are wayyy more worried about fulfilling the $85-million order then they are getting them into our grubby hands. I would be surprised/impressed if they released the civilian version sometime before SHOT next year. Come on Grant, make me eat my words :)

SW CQB 45
06-29-16, 19:03
I am sure they are wayyy more worried about fulfilling the $85-million order then they are getting them into our grubby hands. I would be surprised/impressed if they released the civilian version sometime before SHOT next year. Come on Grant, make me eat my words :)

I guess before Nov 2016 is pushing it!

wishful thinking!

Quiet
06-29-16, 23:36
Glock awarded the FBI contract (https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=3003911f9f7ff35889bf5f46c48ba0ef&_cview=0)

C4IGrant
06-30-16, 08:36

These guns have been out to various police agencies for testing for awhile (so they are out there).

C4

Mjolnir
06-30-16, 08:41
The VP9 is the main reason I'm holding off any new Glock purchases.

Okie John

Bingo!

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

G-lock
06-30-16, 08:44
No finger grooves may entice me to buy another glock..

WickedWillis
06-30-16, 10:38
These guns have been out to various police agencies for testing for awhile (so they are out there).

C4

I was hoping you would swoop in and drop some knowledge.

C4IGrant
06-30-16, 10:42
I was hoping you would swoop in and drop some knowledge.

I have a full description of the gun from a Glock employee that I am friends with, but since I have not personally seen it, I am hesitant to say anything.

C4

WickedWillis
06-30-16, 10:52
I have a full description of the gun from a Glock employee that I am friends with, but since I have not personally seen it, I am hesitant to say anything.

C4

I completely understand. Thanks for the information you have given so far though.

BBossman
06-30-16, 10:54

Looks like they removed the finger grooves, added a manual safety and got rid of the "squishy" trigger...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/glock_1911-tfb_zpsgnr9vpkf.jpg

SW CQB 45
06-30-16, 10:59
Looks like they removed the finger grooves, added a manual safety and got rid of the "squishy" trigger...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/glock_1911-tfb_zpsgnr9vpkf.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA! Looks very PARA O!

okie john
06-30-16, 17:59

Pretend that you work for CNN. You know you want to...

Okie John

Roadblock
07-01-16, 11:24

C4
So just put in a warning that the info came from your wife's sister who has a cousin that knows a guy that works at the local grocery store who's related to a lady that is dating a guy that works in a restaurant where someone eats lunch that has a cousin who knows a lady that is currently dating a guy who used to be married to this to this chick that is dating a police officer that knows the guy who's retired from the FBI who still has friends that work at the FBI who didn't actually doesn't have anything to do with any of this but heard from someone else at the FBI what it looked like.

Just keep in mind the lady who's dating the guy has memory issues so some of the details might not be quite correct.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
07-01-16, 11:39
Pretend that you work for CNN. You know you want to...

Okie John

LOL, ok. Here goes;

The gun selected for the FBI was an Assault Rifle. It comes with 5 "clips" that can carry at least 16 rounds of "cop killing" ammo chambered in "45." The finger grooves have been removed to allow for a "faster" follow up shots and the sights are high definition so the shooter can see the target clearer. The controls are ambi so that the shooter can switch hands in the middle of a gun fight (giving them a huge advantage). The mags have a lip on the bottom so that they can be stripped out (which enables the gun to be reloaded faster).

C4

BBossman
07-01-16, 11:53
LOL, ok. Here goes;

The gun selected for the FBI was an Assault Rifle. It comes with 5 "clips" that can carry at least 16 rounds of "cop killing" ammo chambered in "45." The finger grooves have were removed to allow for a "faster" follow up shots and the sights are high definition so the shooter can see the target clearer. The controls are ambi so that the shooter can switch hands in the middle of a gun fight (giving them a huge advantage). The mags have a lip on the bottom so that they can be stripped out (which enables the gun to be reloaded faster).

C4

Are they high velocity clips? We gotta know man...

Roadblock
07-01-16, 12:02
No no no sounds like complete BS. Everyone knows something like that would fire 30 caliber clip at 900 rounds a trigger pull and be invisible aka a ghost gun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
07-01-16, 12:34
Are they high velocity clips? We gotta know man...

Yes, they ALWAYS are (even when they are just 10rd mags).

C4

Coal Dragger
07-01-16, 12:46
Do the new Glocks have the built in Officer Bias Mind Control Chip? I hear this new development makes the pistol assault gun more lethal by making the officer or agent more likely to hose down minorities as a preemptive measure. Rumor is it increases on target accuracy on all non Caucasian skin types. The ACLU, and NAACP are really upset about this.

WickedWillis
07-01-16, 12:51
Do the new Glocks have the built in Officer Bias Mind Control Chip? I hear this new development makes the pistol assault gun more lethal by making the officer or agent more likely to hose down minorities as a preemptive measure. Rumor is it increases on target accuracy on all non Caucasian skin types. The ACLU, and NAACP are really upset about this.

HAHAHA! Watch this and try not to have a stroke.....

https://youtu.be/qUmwyJEH_pE

BumbleBeeGIXXER
07-01-16, 13:34
HAHAHA! Watch this and try not to have a stroke.....

https://youtu.be/qUmwyJEH_pE

I took the bait and watched this video...I feel as though I've been mind raped. What could be worse than two girls, one cup? Two feminists, one stage

WickedWillis
07-01-16, 13:41
I took the bait and watched this video...I feel as though I've been mind raped. What could be worse than two girls, one cup? Two feminists, one stage

It's horrible lol

HeruMew
07-01-16, 13:51
Yes, they ALWAYS are (even when they are just 10rd mags).

C4

Doh! For a moment, I saw your name under his request, and I adjusted myself, looked harder at the screen. Can't miss the new glock details, amiright!?

Trolled.

Kudos good sir, kudos.

In all seriousness, I am excited to get what I am sure will be, for me, the first description/image of this handgun model from our community.

I know I have said this before, but we truly do appreciate your industry insight Grant.

Hopefully you'll get to make the "formal" announcement for us at some point with some details once they're willing to sign off on the go ahead for production and public information release.

Watrdawg
07-01-16, 14:55
LOL, ok. Here goes;

The gun selected for the FBI was an Assault Rifle. It comes with 5 "clips" that can carry at least 16 rounds of "cop killing" ammo chambered in "45." The finger grooves have been removed to allow for a "faster" follow up shots and the sights are high definition so the shooter can see the target clearer. The controls are ambi so that the shooter can switch hands in the middle of a gun fight (giving them a huge advantage). The mags have a lip on the bottom so that they can be stripped out (which enables the gun to be reloaded faster).

C4

I wonder if that assault rifle handgun is going to come in a slimmer gripped SF version? You know for those girly FBI type agents.

sierra 223
07-01-16, 16:06
Another forum is reporting that Glock just won contract.

call_me_ski
07-01-16, 16:15
Another forum is reporting that Glock just won contract.

The award was issued and made public the 29th of last month.

sierra 223
07-01-16, 16:18
Ok sorry guys somehow I missed that info, disregard I am a little slow.

TAZ
07-01-16, 16:56
LOL, ok. Here goes;

C4

That sux. No shoulder thingie that goes up and no armor piercing capability. I think I'll pass. LOL

Slater
07-02-16, 09:21
Congrats to Glock:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=3003911f9f7ff35889bf5f46c48ba0ef&tab=core&_cview=1

I wonder if Glock will market the (apparent) new finger-grooveless frame as the "FBI Model"?

SW CQB 45
07-02-16, 09:32
I wonder if Glock will market the (apparent) new finger-grooveless frame as the "FBI Model"?

if memory serves me correct.....when Springfield got the contract for 1911s, the original release of the civilian version was the "Bureau Model" or similar and FBI made them change the name. They then became the "Professional Model". I believe it had FBI serial number prefix.

so if Glock, releases a few before FBI catches it, better have "plastic" ready!

Slater
07-02-16, 09:36
It's interesting as most people seemed to have SIG as the favored choice.

okie john
07-02-16, 10:34
LOL, ok. Here goes;

C4

Thanks. Any word on the shoulder thing that goes up?

Okie John

WickedWillis
07-05-16, 12:21
It's interesting as most people seemed to have SIG as the favored choice.

The Sig P320 is a damn fine striker-fired handgun though. I lean towards Glock, but if SIg would have won, I wouldn't have been surprised at all.

09fatbob
07-05-16, 12:24
I would've been surprised, the 320 is new to the market, the glock is established

dwhitehorne
07-05-16, 17:14
I would've been surprised, the 320 is new to the market, the glock is established

I was thinking just the opposite. I've read of issues with the intro of the Gen 4 Glock. Mine is gen 3. Now Glock has tweaked the pistol with some not yet fully known features and the FBI is going to beta test it. David

DirectTo
07-05-16, 17:40
I was thinking just the opposite. I've read of issues with the intro of the Gen 4 Glock. Mine is gen 3. Now Glock has tweaked the pistol with some not yet fully known features and the FBI is going to beta test it. David
Gen 4 Glocks have still been out far longer than the 320 and have a much larger track record with LE. Much better foundation to build off of than what can still be considered a relatively new to market pistol.

ST911
07-05-16, 18:36
This thread is about the FBI pistol selection process.

RAM Engineer
07-07-16, 09:29
I'm very eager to find out some actual specifics of this new pistol. Any speculation as to when Glock will make an unveiling?

WickedWillis
07-07-16, 11:08
I'm very eager to find out some actual specifics of this new pistol. Any speculation as to when Glock will make an unveiling?

I think Grant mentioned possibly early Fall, late Summer?

FlyingHunter
07-07-16, 20:50

I would think SHOT or NRA show, so Jan or Apr. 2017.

kirkland
07-07-16, 21:43
I totally agree with the AR finger groove. I bought magpul grips for nothing more than to get rid of that hump..

I'ts funny I always liked the A2 hump, but I've got fat fingers and I could see why a lot of people hate it. It just happens to fit my fingers great. I like the glock grooves too.

eodinert
07-08-16, 04:46
The G19 finger bumps fit my hands well, but not the 17. That said, I'm happy with the 17. This will be a Glock that can use either restroom.

RAM Engineer
07-08-16, 09:50
I would think SHOT or NRA show, so Jan or Apr. 2017.

I'm surprised Glock isn't singing this from the rafters, and showing off what they have ASAP. Why wait? Waiting for the results of the Army MHS selection?

okie john
07-08-16, 12:52
This will be a Glock that can use either restroom.

Sig line material, sir.

Okie John

jhs1969
07-16-16, 20:18
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=glock+gen+5&view=detailv2&&id=57843940654312DA86FEB6202D2D528EDD398304&selectedIndex=0&ccid=sNsnkI54&simid=608026632703640940&thid=OIP.Mb0db27908e78767d689f20dcb54d54b2o0&ajaxhist=0

I found this pic interesting, have no idea if it is legit.

sadmin
07-16-16, 21:59
Stock under cuts... Very interesting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jpmuscle
07-16-16, 22:03
Fix the damn grip angle!! Gah

If it's true

scooter22
07-16-16, 22:07
Fix the damn grip angle!! Gah

If it's true

Seriously.

M4Guru
07-16-16, 22:08
Grip angle doesn't need fixing!:D

I can switch from a 1911 to a Glock and it doesn't make a difference for me. I figured everyone would be used to it by now...it's only been the same for 1/3 of a century.

LibertyNeverDies
07-16-16, 22:11
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=glock+gen+5&view=detailv2&&id=57843940654312DA86FEB6202D2D528EDD398304&selectedIndex=0&ccid=sNsnkI54&simid=608026632703640940&thid=OIP.Mb0db27908e78767d689f20dcb54d54b2o0&ajaxhist=0

To me it looks heavily photoshopped. Especially the forward thumb rest area.

Looks good to me if it's not.

JRead100
07-16-16, 23:01
Seems to be a photoshop... here's the source

http://glock.pro/glock-pistols/10125-what-i-would-like-gen-5-a.html

skyboss_4evr
07-17-16, 00:42

I can switch from a 1911 to a Glock and it doesn't make a difference for me. I figured everyone would be used to it by now...it's only been the same for 1/3 of a century.

No kidding! Glock's grip angle is just fine, especially when one bothers to consider that it was designed that way by request of the Austrian Army.

If the grip angle is so dang awful for you as an individual, then buy something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magsz
07-17-16, 17:03
Its not really the grip angle that blows. Its the massive hump that sits in the palm of the hand that results in a less than ergonomic package. I find it easier to lock the tendons in my wrist and forearm with a 1911 or sig 320 than I do with any Glock.

mayonaise
07-17-16, 17:33

Its not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

samuse
07-17-16, 18:05
I'm interested in these and I hope they're available for commercial sales. I'm hanging on to my Glock mags just in case.

Hot Sauce
07-17-16, 22:57
Its not really the grip angle that blows. Its the massive hump that sits in the palm of the hand that results in a less than ergonomic package. I find it easier to lock the tendons in my wrist and forearm with a 1911 or sig 320 than I do with any Glock.

Hey dude, tried to PM you but your box is full. PM me please.

Mike Papa
07-20-16, 07:06
Any updates?

Mike Papa
07-20-16, 08:34
Double Post

L-2
07-20-16, 09:42
My open-source-rumors indicate mid-August, as early as 8/11/16, before we start seeing & hearing of first-hand reports.

El Viajero
07-22-16, 14:55
Someone over on Glocktalk said Indianapolis PD will getting them soon. After that they will be able to be discussed without violating and confidentiality agreements.

Coal Dragger
07-22-16, 17:35
I wonder if this reluctance to unveil the FBI contract pistol is possibly because Glock might have made a deal with the current regime to not market them to civilians?

I know this is extremely unlikely, but I'm sure if the current powers that be could demand it they would.

nml
07-22-16, 17:56
Why would they reveal a gun they won't sell this year?

WickedWillis
07-22-16, 18:05
Why would they reveal a gun they won't sell this year?

Manufacturers do that frequently though.

cbx
07-22-16, 22:10
Wouldn't that be some shit..... I've been awaiting a g5 glock.....

jandbj
07-22-16, 23:40
G17 & G19, no finger grooves, ambi slide stop lever. For the sinistral folks that never learned on right handed guns. :rolleyes:

jpmuscle
07-22-16, 23:40
Wouldn't that be some shit..... I've been awaiting a g5 glock.....
And if that happened all my glock sh*t would be in the EE the next day.

Hero
07-23-16, 15:38
Can't wait to see a picture of this thing.

peashooter76
07-23-16, 17:48
Dangit! I've already purchased 3 glocks this year...

cbx
07-23-16, 18:11
And if that happened all my glock sh*t would be in the EE the next day.
Yeah......probably me too....I kind of have a policy of not supporting companies that pull that kind of crap.

I really hope they don't.....

Just in case, any good glock 19 alternatives that you can actually load the mags to capacity by hand and don't generally suck?

scooter22
07-23-16, 18:31
I would presume that many parts would be interchangeable, yes?

HCM
07-23-16, 19:26
I wonder if this reluctance to unveil the FBI contract pistol is possibly because Glock might have made a deal with the current regime to not market them to civilians?

I know this is extremely unlikely, but I'm sure if the current powers that be could demand it they would.

It would defeat the purpose of competing for the contract. They aren't making major money on the 13k guns for the FBI. The money makers will be secondary sales to state and local LEA's who " want the new FBI gun" and subsequent sales of their trade in guns, and the real jackpot - tertiary sales to civilians who want "the new FBI gun".

Many LE administrators from small to medium sized agencies get trained by the FBI's " National Academy" so the FBI has outsized influence among state and local LE leadership. These are often the people who make final purchasing decisions.

(Note= Trade in guns are a moneymaker for Glock but the FBI, like other federal LE Agencies can only give firearms to other govt entities or destroy them.)

More likely, Glock is waiting for the protest period to run its course, plus the Military MHS and the DHS/ICE testing are both still on going. The ICE contract will be for 18k guns (5k more than FBI) but they don't have the "brand" the FBI does.

jpmuscle
07-23-16, 21:41
I would presume that many parts would be interchangeable, yes?
This things suppose to have a modular chassis right?

MountainRaven
07-23-16, 22:15
Yeah......probably me too....I kind of have a policy of not supporting companies that pull that kind of crap.

I really hope they don't.....

Just in case, any good glock 19 alternatives that you can actually load the mags to capacity by hand and don't generally suck?

You realize that the pistols Glock is building today are different than the ones they got started on, right? That there's a reason why they make guns tagged as, "Gen4"?

And yes, yes there is a Glock 19 alternative you can load the mags to capacity, by hand, and doesn't suck at all: The H&K P2000.

JHC
07-25-16, 09:00

I find Glock's grip angle superior to the 1911s I dedicated the '80's to shooting. Better is just better. :D

cbx
07-25-16, 16:50
You realize that the pistols Glock is building today are different than the ones they got started on, right? That there's a reason why they make guns tagged as, "Gen4"?

And yes, yes there is a Glock 19 alternative you can load the mags to capacity, by hand, and doesn't suck at all: The H&K P2000.

I think you misunderstood my posting. I really dig the gen 4 that I have. My comment of wanting a gen 5 is because I'm sure it'll be awesome. I'm very aware things and models change over time.

My postings were directed at the hypothetical of if they build a new model, and if they don't sell it to civilians like me. That would suck. Especially since your suggestion is by another company that "restricts" shit to civis......

Maybe you post was in jest. Maybe not. Hard to tell on the internets sometimes.

MountainRaven
07-25-16, 16:58
I think you misunderstood my posting. I really dig the gen 4 that I have. My comment of wanting a gen 5 is because I'm sure it'll be awesome. I'm very aware things and models change over time.

My postings were directed at the hypothetical of if they build a new model, and if they don't sell it to civilians like me. That would suck. Especially since your suggestion is by another company that "restricts" shit to civis......

Maybe you post was in jest. Maybe not. Hard to tell on the internets sometimes.

You realize that H&K's "restrictions" are based on what they are allowed to export by the German government and what they're allowed to import by the American government, right?

wildcard600
07-25-16, 18:51
You realize that H&K's "restrictions" are based on what they are allowed to export by the German government and what they're allowed to import by the American government, right?

Its more fun to just pretend that HK hates us.

MountainRaven
07-25-16, 19:01
Its more fun to just pretend that HK hates us.

Did you ever stop to consider if maybe they're punishing us because they just hate you? ;)

wildcard600
07-25-16, 19:15
Did you ever stop to consider if maybe they're punishing us because they just hate you? ;)

Nah, its a vast conspiracy by the elitist heads of the company to torture the american civilian market by only selling certain knockoff's of their guns. American civilian market HK's are actually made in China of recycled beer cans and melted down plastic silverware.

Firefly
07-25-16, 21:38
The grip angle is perfect. It's the forced finger grooves I despise.

People hate Glock because tv tells them to. I just want a Gen 4 Glock with a Gen 2 grip.

If you must have grooves get a hogue sleeve.

nml
07-25-16, 21:41
My comment of wanting a gen 5 is because I'm sure it'll be awesome.What is it going to do for you that your gen4 doesn't do already?

If anything the additional 4th fbi spec safety could get in the way.

cbx
07-25-16, 23:15
What is it going to do for you that your gen4 doesn't do already?

Maybe I want one just because....... Because I can? So there.

cbx
07-25-16, 23:19
Nothing stopping HK from setting up a shop here. I mean it's only the one of the largest markets....

Wtf do I know.... Maybe they can't cause reasons.

wildcard600
07-26-16, 12:11
Nothing stopping HK from setting up a shop here. I mean it's only the one of the largest markets....

Wtf do I know.... Maybe they can't cause reasons.

HK is a small company whose financial situation isn't much better than Colt's. I doubt they have the cash to setup a hot dog stand in the US, let alone a multi-million dollar manufacturing facility.

daniel87
07-26-16, 13:27
HK is a small company whose financial situation isn't much better than Colt's. I doubt they have the cash to setup a hot dog stand in the US, let alone a multi-million dollar manufacturing facility.
if hk didnt follow, we are hk and we hate you, they may have been able to now

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

wildcard600
07-26-16, 13:58
if hk didnt follow, we are hk and we hate you, they may have been able to now

Possibly. Do you have access to information alluding to the fact that HK had the cash laying around in the late 1980's that a move to US based manufacturing was financially viable ?

daniel87
07-26-16, 14:18
Possibly. Do you have access to information alluding to the fact that HK had the cash laying around in the late 1980's that a move to US based manufacturing was financially viable ?
in the years after the awb ended id hk treated the civilians better maybe they would have enough money to bring it here

wildcard600
07-26-16, 14:24
in the years after the awb ended id hk treated the civilians better maybe they would have enough money to bring it here

The '89 ban and '68 GCA is what keeps most of HK's products out of the US which are still very much in effect.

daniel87
07-26-16, 15:22
The '89 ban and '68 GCA is what keeps most of HK's products out of the US which are still very much in effect.

civilians will by anything if its semi auto including a semi auto saw

look ast the shrike upper for 5.56

hk has always treated the civilian like we dont matter

but we arent their market

wildcard600
07-26-16, 15:42
civilians will by anything if its semi auto including a semi auto saw

look ast the shrike upper for 5.56

hk has always treated the civilian like we dont matter

but we arent their market

What are you talking about ? HK cannot sell (most) semi auto rifles here because of the '89 import ban. US based manufacture is the only way around that.

Its pretty clear you have a bias against HK for reasons you don't understand. Have a nice day.

ST911
07-26-16, 21:12
I think this thread is about the FBI pistol selection process, isn't it?

MountainRaven
07-26-16, 21:16
What is it going to do for you that your gen4 doesn't do already?

I don't care about the fourth safety.

What I do care about is the deletion of those stupid finger grooves. And maybe they'll have finally fixed BTF once and for all. (And maybe the guns tendency to shoot left and maybe the trigger and....)

teutonicpolymer
07-27-16, 11:05
Was there a summary of the differences between gen 5 and 4/3?

Also I have no idea how people are conjecturing that the FBI contract Glocks are going to be loss leaders or some shit that just makes no sense at all to me

Fine, but they don't even sell the same stuff they sell in other civilian markets to the USA

We barely get the "special" models like the USP experts or elites while other markets get these and have had options to buy different slide assemblies

jpmuscle
07-27-16, 12:41
I still want to know if this thing has a modular chassis.

nml
07-27-16, 14:21
I don't care about the fourth safety.It took Glock engineers months to figure out how to determine if the trigger pull was "clearly intentional" or if the user was just being "extremely careless" and did not mean to fire the gun.

C4IGrant
08-02-16, 13:15

THis pic is supposedly "legit."

C4

WickedWillis
08-02-16, 13:27

C4

Wow. The only thing that looks photoshopped to me is the forward slide serrations. There seems to be a smudge mark around them. If this is the concept though, I am going to buy one if the get public release day one.

okie john
08-02-16, 13:27
Now THAT has potential.

Okie John

Hot Sauce
08-02-16, 13:37

C4

Is that snake mouth between the front strap and mag designed to bite straggling pinky fingers? :laugh:

I keed, I keed.

WickedWillis
08-02-16, 13:58
Is that snake mouth between the front strap and mag designed to bite straggling pinky fingers? :laugh:

I keed, I keed.

Think of it like a polymer cigar cutter

L-2
08-02-16, 14:01
Why the "M" in Glock "19M"?
The picture of the possible weapon does look good and I can't help wanting one, despite my judgement to wait 2 years or until 2018.
Many times there have been various little things with new Glocks which need fixing.
Perhaps it'll be a while, if not a year, before or if they become for sale through the blue-label program, anyway.

LibertyNeverDies
08-02-16, 14:13
Picture looks good although I'd like to see an undercut trigger guard and updated grip.

Any idea when we should have confirmation on the gun? Is there a date the FBI is supposed to start receiving them or a concrete date on a dealer release?

El Viajero
08-02-16, 14:47
On Glocktalk one of the members there says that his department will have them within the next week or two. He belongs to Indianapolis PD if I recall correctly.

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/fbi-selection-glock-wins.1626243/page-37

Steve
08-02-16, 15:58
That is not it i can assure you.

WickedWillis
08-02-16, 16:09
That is not it i can assure you.

Just geeked out a bit, didn't realize you are active on here. Thanks Steve!

call_me_ski
08-02-16, 16:15

C4

That is a photoshop created by the collective minds at glocktalk. They started with a 19 w/o finger groves and it passed through a few iterations before ending up there. From the thread it is more of what they wished it would be. Not based on any inside knowledge.

MountainRaven
08-02-16, 16:53
I would buy one.

Firefly
08-02-16, 16:55

C4

That's all I've ever wanted in life.

ETA It's not real? Now I'm disappointed.

Wake27
08-02-16, 17:03
Yeah I'd definitely buy one.

MountainRaven
08-02-16, 21:01
That's all I've ever wanted in life.

ETA It's not real? Now I'm disappointed.

Yeah, but maybe the real one is even better.

jedi391
08-02-16, 21:53
Take out those butt ugly forward serrations and I'd be interested.

RAM Engineer
08-03-16, 08:14
I'm baffled about what the hold up is on unveiling it. All I can think of is that there is a protest of the decision. Those must be filed within 10 days, the GAO must render a decision within 65 days (iirc). Either that or there are still post-award tweaks going on.

I just hope it extracts and ejects with authority.

WickedWillis
08-03-16, 10:35
I'm baffled about what the hold up is on unveiling it. All I can think of is that there is a protest of the decision. Those must be filed within 10 days, the GAO must render a decision within 65 days (iirc). Either that or there are still post-award tweaks going on.

I just hope it extracts and ejects with authority.

I would be very surprised if they changed the internals just for this new Glock. The recent model Gen 4's have been solid in ejection and extraction, and I have not heard of a BTF incident on any newer run handguns. We will see in a few weeks I guess.

C4IGrant
08-03-16, 10:40
That is a photoshop created by the collective minds at glocktalk. They started with a 19 w/o finger groves and it passed through a few iterations before ending up there. From the thread it is more of what they wished it would be. Not based on any inside knowledge.

Could be. We have been seeing this pic from reliable sources for awhile. I have asked my buddy at Glock if it is "close." Will see what he says.

C4

C4IGrant
08-03-16, 10:41
I would be very surprised if they changed the internals just for this new Glock. The recent model Gen 4's have been solid in ejection and extraction, and I have not heard of a BTF incident on any newer run handguns. We will see in a few weeks I guess.

We see BTF all the time on current production G4's.

C4

L-2
08-03-16, 11:03
BTF=BRASS TO FACE

BFF=BEST FRIENDS FOREVER

I suppose my Glock could be my best friend, as in, "Say hello to my little friend".

C4IGrant
08-03-16, 11:04
BTF=BRASS TO FACE

BFF=BEST FRIENDS FOREVER

LOL, true!

C4

Packeagle
08-03-16, 11:55
My hope is it uses the gen 4 slides. That way I can use my current uppers on the newer frames.

jpmuscle
08-03-16, 12:00
So evidently not a modular chassis? I feel let down.

RAM Engineer
08-03-16, 12:37
And no MOS slide, I assume.

Firefly
08-03-16, 17:19
I'm not saying it may not have been an issue but I have a Gen 4 Glock and never had a brass to face. I feel left out.

Maybe I got a good one.

Either way, that picture is what a Gen 5 should be. I just hate forced finger grooves.

Evel Baldgui
08-03-16, 18:36
Does it really matter to most citizens what the fbi,nypd,nsa,csi, or xyz use?

WickedWillis
08-03-16, 18:41

To a lot of guys, especially people new to the firearms world it does. But in this instance, the firearm was put through trials by a large agency. It does not happen very often, so when it does, the gun communities talk about it.

C4IGrant
08-03-16, 19:07

Yes it should and here's why. The FBI is one of the few groups that thoroughly tests firearms. Did you know that one of the pistols submitted FAILED 4 out of the 5 tests?? Even as a "lowly" Civy, you probably wouldn't want that pistol as your CCW GUN. ;-)

C4

C4IGrant
08-03-16, 19:08
Ok, I was pretty close in my statement that pic was accurate, but not exact.

C4

peashooter76
08-03-16, 19:11
Yes it should and here's why. The FBI is one of the few groups that thoroughly tests firearms. Did you know that one of the pistols submitted FAILED 4 out of the 5 tests?? Even as a "lowly" Civy, you probably wouldn't want that pistol as your CCW GUN. ;-)

C4

Do you know one failed so miserably?

C4IGrant
08-03-16, 19:21
Do you know one failed so miserably?

Yes.

C4

themonk
08-03-16, 19:32
What were the five guns/companies submitted?

ETA - sorry, having issues reading tonight. Scratch the number 5. Do we know what companies submitted guns for testing?

Evel Baldgui
08-03-16, 19:34
Point well taken. Thank you.

C4IGrant
08-03-16, 19:42
What were the five guns/companies submitted?

ETA - sorry, having issues reading tonight. Scratch the number 5. Do we know what companies submitted guns for testing?

I am not sure. I do know that the SIG 320 and S&W M&P II were submitted.

C4

GNXII
08-03-16, 19:58
More important to know which ones failed and why, imho.

temecula2003
08-03-16, 20:31
Are they ( FBI folks) using Gen 4 or Gen 3?

scooter22
08-03-16, 20:50
Why can't they just make an ergonomic grip?

jpmuscle
08-03-16, 21:30
Why can't they just make an ergonomic grip?

Because their Glock and they hate us?

themonk
08-03-16, 21:32
What part of perfection do you all not understand?

jpmuscle
08-03-16, 22:47
What part of perfection do you all not understand?
Haha good one

jedi391
08-03-16, 22:47
Please tell me it wasn't the M&P II that failed.

MountainRaven
08-03-16, 23:44
Please tell me it wasn't the M&P II that failed.

Obviously the M&P failed, or the FBI wouldn't have given the contract to Glock.

Apparently the P320 failed due to failing the drop test. Repeatedly. (Even though the contract was basically written specifically for the P320.)

jedi391
08-04-16, 00:04
Just because a pistol isn't selected doesn't mean it failed. The Sig P226 passed the Army test a few decades back but they selected the Beretta, which also passed.

dwhitehorne
08-04-16, 02:56
Obviously the M&P failed, or the FBI wouldn't have given the contract to Glock.

Apparently the P320 failed due to failing the drop test. Repeatedly. (Even though the contract was basically written specifically for the P320.)

Where are you getting this information from? David

293sheepdog
08-04-16, 08:05
I'm always leary of basing my equipment on what some large government agency buys and or tests. Way too much at stake money wise and that makes for shady dealings.

RAM Engineer
08-04-16, 08:21
I'm always leary of basing my equipment on what some large government agency buys and or tests. Way too much at stake money wise and that makes for shady dealings.
You're right, you shouldn't base your equipment on extensive testing. You should base it on what Internet forums, blogs, gunshop commandos, gun magazines, and your buddy who bought one and it had a great "fit 'n' finish" and it only "jammed" on him once...

C4IGrant
08-04-16, 09:40

Shady dealings does occur (no doubt), but typically not at the FBI level (as they have data showing failures).

C4

C4IGrant
08-04-16, 09:41
Just because a pistol isn't selected doesn't mean it failed. The Sig P226 passed the Army test a few decades back but they selected the Beretta, which also passed.

True.

C4

Coal Dragger
08-04-16, 11:43
Shady dealings does occur (no doubt), but typically not at the FBI level (as they have data showing failures).

C4

I would make a snark comment about this regarding a recent "investigation" of theirs, but this is the wrong sub forum.

I'm sure plenty of shady shit goes on at all levels of the FBI.

C4IGrant
08-04-16, 11:47
I would make a snark comment about this regarding a recent "investigation" of theirs, but this is the wrong sub forum.

I'm sure plenty of shady shit goes on at all levels of the FBI.

Again, they have 5 tests (I believe) and there are definite results. The gun manufacturers are also welcome to watch (so I am told).

So while I understand your skepticism, I don't think it is warranted here.

C4

DirectTo
08-04-16, 12:09
Again, they have 5 tests (I believe) and there are definite results. The gun manufacturers are also welcome to watch (so I am told).
Any idea what the 5 tests are Grant? Given their publication of the 9MM study results I wonder if we can expect the same in time with the results of the contending pistols.

C4IGrant
08-04-16, 12:14
Any idea what the 5 tests are Grant? Given their publication of the 9MM study results I wonder if we can expect the same in time with the results of the contending pistols.

I do not know all the tests. One though is a drop test.

C4

Jeff S.
08-04-16, 12:23
Testing can be found here:

https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=b572bfc31492380c0534465de4c674dc

Start at Page 87, section M.1

C4IGrant
08-04-16, 12:43
Testing can be found here:

https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=b572bfc31492380c0534465de4c674dc

Start at Page 87, section M.1

Cool! Had read it before, but couldn't remember where I found it. Thanks for posting.

C4

Firefly
08-04-16, 13:11
Actually the forward serrations wouldn't be a bad idea.

wrx04
08-04-16, 13:30
After reading the FBI criteria, it seems the gun will have:
No finger grooves, metal night sights, ambi slide stop, ambi mag release (no paddle lever), may have front serrations, and offer an option of frame size (different size frames clearly marked "M" or "L").

So the only real suprise will be if they offer two or three different sized frames or just back straps. Other than that it just seems like a glock w/o finger grooves and stock metal night sights.

TAZ
08-04-16, 13:44
After reading the FBI criteria, it seems the gun will have:
No finger grooves, metal night sights, ambi slide stop, ambi mag release (no paddle lever), may have front serrations, and offer an option of frame size (different size frames clearly marked "M" or "L").

So the only real suprise will be if they offer two or three different sized frames or just back straps. Other than that it just seems like a glock w/o finger grooves and stock metal night sights.

Didn't read the link, but am assuming your summary is correct. Seems like they REEEEEEALLY wanted to go back to Sig with the whole different frame sizes thing. Makes you wonder how bad Sig had to jump on their willies to loose the trial.

My only complaint about the whole NSW, MARSOC and now FBI adaption of the G19 is that they are hard to find. Raise that to the 100 power if you're looking for an MOS. I'm still on the waiting list. Hoping the reason for my delay is that they took the frame tools off line to make he new mods and when I do get the call I'll have a Gen5 G19MOS.

WRT the whole follow .gov in your purchases. It's nice to know that the pistol you're spending your hard earned cash on passed evaluation by folks who know more about guns than I do. While there are beurocrats involved for sure there are also good shooter as well. Doesn't mean you should abandon common sense and just strap the thing on thought. Take the time to run an eval of your own to insure the unit you have is up to par.

figure4leglock
08-04-16, 15:27
I was hoping an upgraded M&P would result from these trials, that would be nice. But, I guess I'll wait to see the glock.

WickedWillis
08-04-16, 16:32
I was hoping an upgraded M&P would result from these trials, that would be nice. But, I guess I'll wait to see the glock.

The Gen 2 M&P was allegedly in these tests.

Coal Dragger
08-04-16, 17:05
Well of it is anything like the Gen 1 M&P it probably failed the mechanical accuracy requirements dismally.

PaLEOjd
08-04-16, 17:18
Didn't read the link, but am assuming your summary is correct. Seems like they REEEEEEALLY wanted to go back to Sig with the whole different frame sizes thing. Makes you wonder how bad Sig had to jump on their willies to loose the trial.

My only complaint about the whole NSW, MARSOC and now FBI adaption of the G19 is that they are hard to find. Raise that to the 100 power if you're looking for an MOS. I'm still on the waiting list. Hoping the reason for my delay is that they took the frame tools off line to make he new mods and when I do get the call I'll have a Gen5 G19MOS.

WRT the whole follow .gov in your purchases. It's nice to know that the pistol you're spending your hard earned cash on passed evaluation by folks who know more about guns than I do. While there are beurocrats involved for sure there are also good shooter as well. Doesn't mean you should abandon common sense and just strap the thing on thought. Take the time to run an eval of your own to insure the unit you have is up to par.

I highly doubt Glock took any of the current tooling offline, especially the most popular and carried G19.
If you read the entire contract, it calls for both the Glock 19 and 17 pistols seeing that it states the magazines from the full sized model must fit the compact sized model.
Glock would have to stop production of both pistols, that's not going to happen. Remember, Glock is still producing Gen3 pistols with the Gen4's and the MOS variants. It would cause a huge backlog if they were to take current tooling offline to fill a contract. I hope they wouldn't do that, it would be terrible for business IMO. Glock should already have most of the tooling they need, I would assume. Seeing that Glock had offerings without finger grooves, with ambi. controls, and picitinny rails, these contract pistols should not be a PITA for them to roll off the line.

My local LE distributor has been extremely silent about the new Glocks, they won't say a word. I do expect to see these pistols show up at the store once Glock rolls them out and hopefully pick one up for personal use.
Any information if the FBI contract pistols are being produced in Smyrna or Austria?

RAM Engineer
08-04-16, 17:35
Is there an M&P that is the size of the required compact gun? I thought the compact was sub-G19 sized.

PaLEOjd
08-04-16, 19:10
The M&P 9C is similar in size to the Glock 26, there is no G19 sized M&P.
Smith & Wesson also can't meet the magazine capacity requirements for the contract with their current pistols.

BooneGA
08-04-16, 19:29

On the MOS note - the new Glocks being delivered to ARSOF (at least SF) are Gen 3 MOS Models. MARSOC and NSW combined don't have anywhere near the number of guns going to SF.

Rick

RAM Engineer
08-08-16, 13:15
Still no news? This wait is killing me.