PDA

View Full Version : Need help - Glock malfunction

Nocaster
04-26-16, 17:58
Please help me with my malfunctioning gen 3 Glock 34. I bought it used on the EE here a few years back, and have put at least a very conservative 2,000 through it since. Not sure about the previous owner, but he definitely shot it a bunch. I'm not sure of the exact round count, since I usually shoot the g34 along with a few other 9 mm glocks and/or other pistols.

In the last couple shooting sessions it started having weird ejecting issues, most commonly like the one in the picture below. Before shooting today, I put in a brand new oem recoil spring. The second picture shows what the magazine looked like immediately after I stripped it after the first picture.

Sometimes the spent casing looks like a stove pipe, sometimes like the one in the picture. Also, it looks like in addition to the fresh round partially in the chamber, the next round in the magazine is partially stripped from the mag. I have no idea what this means, please help.

ETA one more picturehttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160426/fe4fbddb17b8310766458b640484626e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

okie john
04-26-16, 19:15
Which ejector does it have?

I'd start by adding a Gen4 ejector. Also clean and lube it.

Okie John

williejc
04-26-16, 19:25
Also you might replace the extractor and its spring. Problems here would result in the this type malfunction.

Nocaster
04-26-16, 19:45
Thank you for the responses. I will do a detail strip and clean and replace the extractor and spring.

Okie John - I have no idea what kind of ejector, I didn't realize these were ever changed. I will look into this, too, and do some googling.

GregP220
04-26-16, 19:51
I believe all Gen3 Glock 9mms have the 336 ejector but the newer Gen4 30274 ejector is beefier and drops right into the trigger mech housing.

Nocaster
04-26-16, 19:54
I believe all Gen3 Glock 9mms have the 336 ejector but the newer Gen4 30274 ejector is beefier and drops right into the trigger mech housing.
Thank you. I wish I knew this when I ordered lots of glock springs from Brownells last month.

Eta: ok, I looked this up and it appears my g34's R series serial number puts it within the range of gen 3s needing a new ejector and possibly extractor. I thought all my glocks were made before the problems started and I never followed the whole glock extraction saga. Now I have to check the others. ...

Joe Mamma
04-26-16, 21:09
What kind of magazines are you using (Glock factory or aftermarket)? Have you done anything to the mags (like adding an extension or changing springs)? Is your problem happening with different magazines?

Joe Mamma

Nocaster
04-26-16, 21:30
Not sure about the previous times, but during this shooting session the malfunctions happened on late model stock oem mags (the ones with the metal piece in the front). Surprisingly, my two KCI mags seem to run fine, as well as two Glock 10 rounders.

ST911
04-26-16, 23:03
What ammo are you using when the malfunctions occur?

Dionysusigma
04-27-16, 05:00
What combination of parts/factors directly relate to the necessity of this parts swap?

Nocaster
04-27-16, 08:22
Yesterday I was using Speer Lawman 124 grain. I found this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=97286

It appears that gen 3s with serial numbers starting between P and S are affected.

I will call Glock today and see if they will send me a new ejector.

Nocaster
04-27-16, 08:56
Ugh, just got off the phone with Glock customer service. They will not send me an ejector because I'm not an armorer. They recommend sending the pistol in.

I really prefer to do work like this on my own, but on they other hand, I do have a g21 sf ambi frame that I need to send for replacement, so I might just send the two together.

I will update the thread when the issue is resolved

Kevin P
04-27-16, 09:27
Get the new ejector from a glock parts vendor(as well as a non-lci bearing), Apex extractor, Apex spring, install all parts above and be done with it.

Joe Mamma
04-27-16, 09:43
Not sure about the previous times, but during this shooting session the malfunctions happened on late model stock oem mags (the ones with the metal piece in the front). Surprisingly, my two KCI mags seem to run fine, as well as two Glock 10 rounders.

Before you blame the ejector entirely, you may want to try this:

Load up the different magazines, and hand cycle the rounds through the gun (experimenting with different slide speeds) until you empty that magazine. Also try extracting a loaded round without a magazine in the gun just for comparison of how far/quickly the case is thrown.

What you may find is that when you have a loaded mag inserted, the rear edge of the case being extracted hits the front edge of the case of the top round in the magazine, and that makes the case being extracted slip off the extractor causing the malfunction. In essence, the top round in the magazine is acting like the ejector.

Keep in mind that when the extracted case is unfired (i.e., if it has a bullet attached) and you have a loaded mag inserted, the case may be very hard to eject (the slide may feel like it's hitting a stop/block as you pull it back halfway) because the bullet won't be out of the chamber completely when the extracted case hits the front edge of the top round's case.

Doing this and watching carefully could tell you a lot about your problem.

It makes sense that the KCI mags and Glock 10 rounders do not cause this extraction/ejection issue because their mag springs are probably weaker than the late model Glock mags. So the case being extracted just slides over the front edge of the case of the top round in the magazine. Then the spent case is ejected normally (when that case hits the ejector).

The problem could be a worn extractor, worn extractor spring, worn ejector, mag springs that need to be worn in a little, ammo type, or some combination of these.

If you have time to do this and report your results, it will help to identify your specific problem.

Joe Mamma

Nocaster
05-02-16, 01:16
Before you blame the ejector entirely, you may want to try this:

Load up the different magazines, and hand cycle the rounds through the gun (experimenting with different slide speeds) until you empty that magazine. Also try extracting a loaded round without a magazine in the gun just for comparison of how far/quickly the case is thrown.

What you may find is that when you have a loaded mag inserted, the rear edge of the case being extracted hits the front edge of the case of the top round in the magazine, and that makes the case being extracted slip off the extractor causing the malfunction. In essence, the top round in the magazine is acting like the ejector.

Keep in mind that when the extracted case is unfired (i.e., if it has a bullet attached) and you have a loaded mag inserted, the case may be very hard to eject (the slide may feel like it's hitting a stop/block as you pull it back halfway) because the bullet won't be out of the chamber completely when the extracted case hits the front edge of the top round's case.

Doing this and watching carefully could tell you a lot about your problem.

It makes sense that the KCI mags and Glock 10 rounders do not cause this extraction/ejection issue because their mag springs are probably weaker than the late model Glock mags. So the case being extracted just slides over the front edge of the case of the top round in the magazine. Then the spent case is ejected normally (when that case hits the ejector).

The problem could be a worn extractor, worn extractor spring, worn ejector, mag springs that need to be worn in a little, ammo type, or some combination of these.

If you have time to do this and report your results, it will help to identify your specific problem.

Joe Mamma
Joe Mamma,

I just had a chance to perform your test. I cycled 2 magazines, 3 times each, for a total of 6 times. One of the mags was the magazine that I mistakenly reported above as being late 3rd Gen, turned out to be an older model with a tilting follower. This magazine is marked 3206 on the baseplate. The other was a late model non tilting follower mag.

Picture of older mag's follower:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160501/a3102a76ddc22d0fc9bece8fd3d3bd8b.jpg

The findings:

1. No failures to eject with different rearward slide speeds.

2. Ejected rounds did not hang up on rounds in the magazines.

3. Older mag had a failure to feed all 3 times on last round, but ejected normally, as the rim was partially under extractor.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160501/2e7d4a2af2354a8a322b1ad9ff51cf59.jpg http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160501/b93c1f74b44ff4dfbfb3920fbd4826c0.jpg
4. On both mags, when the slide was consistently racked fast, most rounds landed in a neat pile about 3 feet away to my 3:30-4 o'clock. However, 2-5 rounds from each mag landed much closer and further forward, like 1 foot away at 2:30-3 o'clock. This was when I purposely tried for consistent fast slide movement, 2 out of 3 "sets"for each mag.

I'm sure that I've had these malfunctions (as in OP) on various mags. So while the older follower mag (which also seemed to have a much weaker sorting) needs service, it seems to me that I would be well served by replacing the extractor, ejector, and the ejector spring. Right?

Thanks again

ST911
05-02-16, 11:01
Replace your 336 ejector with an OEM 30274.
Test fire with the latest revision, standard capacity, OEM magazines that came with your gun or you bought since.
Use only domestically produced, standard pressure, SAAMI spec ammunition from a mainstream manufacturer.

-or-

Box it up and send it in.

Almost anything else you're doing is just spinning your wheels.

Scrubber3
05-02-16, 11:26
Replace your 336 ejector with an OEM 30274.
Test fire with the latest revision, standard capacity, OEM magazines that came with your gun or you bought since.
Use only domestically produced, standard pressure, SAAMI spec ammunition from a mainstream manufacturer.

-or-

Box it up and send it in.

Almost anything else you're doing is just spinning your wheels.
This. I had the same issue with a 26. Swapped the ejector and problem solved.

nml
05-02-16, 12:07
Replace your 336 ejector with an OEM 30274.+1000

Joe Mamma
05-02-16, 21:59
I'm sure that I've had these malfunctions (as in OP) on various mags. So while the older follower mag (which also seemed to have a much weaker sorting) needs service, it seems to me that I would be well served by replacing the extractor, ejector, and the ejector spring. Right?

There is no such thing as an EJECTOR spring in Glocks. I assume you meant extractor spring. If so, then yes, replace all that if you want to try to fix it quickly and don't care about the cost of the parts or figuring out specifically what is/are causing the problems.

But based on everything you have posted, here is how I see it:

1. The failures to feed the last round in the magazine are probably because of the magazine follower and/or magazine spring. Both are pretty easy to upgrade/replace.

The magazine spring may simply be weaker and/or the top coil of the spring may be angled differently because it is worn. Either problem with (and even without) a less than perfect follower can cause failures to feed.

The tilting style follower is not good. But one other thing you may want to check is if the follower gets stuck near the top of its travel. You can also just disassemble your mag and examine the follower closely. Sometimes, there is a sharp edge on the follower that gets caught on the inside of the magazine when it is near the top, and this momentary hang up can cause a malfunction. Sometimes this problem doesn't happen until the magazine springs get weak. It usually will not happen when the spring is more fully compressed because there is much more spring pressure. If you have a sharp edge on the follower (where it contacts the inside of the magazine body), you can sand it down lightly to smooth it out.

2. I think the failures to extract that you described are probably because of an ejector issue. Although rare, Glock ejectors definitely do get worn and/or bent. You can try a brand new "old style" ejector (identical to the style in your gun) and that may fix your problem. You can also upgrade to the newer style. If I were in your shoes, the ejector choice would depend on cost and availability. Keep in mind that your old style ejector worked well for you for thousands of rounds. If you had these problems with your gun since new, I would have said definitely go with the new style ejector. But that's not the case.

There's a possibility you also have an issue with your extractor spring. But I think that's less probable than an ejector issue. Fortunately, the extractor spring is very easy to change (and inexpensive).

With regards to the non-LCI spring loaded bearing that KevinP mentioned, that just adds a little more extractor spring pressure. It is also very easy to change and inexpensive. I would probably put one of these in before changing the extractor spring. But I like to figure out exactly what is causing problems and not change too much at once.

I think it is even less likely that there is a problem with your extractor. But if you want to try to be done with your problems as quickly as possible, change the extractor too and move on. I probably would not replace this unless the other things failed to solve your problems.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma

Nocaster
05-02-16, 23:01
Ok, thanks again for all the responses. Joe Mamma, yeah I meant the extractor spring, posting past my bedtime. I will install the 30274 ejector and will let you know what happens.

L-2
05-02-16, 23:03
I want the OP to know I had this annoyingly intermittent issue on a G29 I'd gotten in trade.
I was never able to cure the problem or ascertain exactly why it was occurring with that gun.
Until I started doing some internet research on the problem I didn't even know the term, "Phase 3 Malfunction" existed.
With limited resources, I did try various ammo and parts substitutions without success.

Rather than sending the gun back to Glock at my expense, with the risk Glock would declare it problem-free without finding the exact problem, I traded it in at my local Glock LE Distributor for a different Glock.

R.O.U.S.
05-04-16, 12:33
I bought a new production Gen 3 G19 with the RTF finish, and I’ve experienced the same issue as the OP. I’ve had constant stovepipes and constant brass in my face. After a 1000 rounds the fiber optic fell out, and I soured on the pistol and sold it.

Before I sold it. I took it to the gunsmith and he replaced the extractor with what looked like a Gen2 extractor. It didn’t have the dip, and didn’t line up with the slide because it meant for a Glock with a 90 degree ejection cut out. Tested Winchester white box with the LCI spring and bearing, and it extracted and ejected reliably.

Nocaster
06-13-16, 21:10
Just wanted to update the thread for the sake of completeness. I finally swapped out the 336 ejector for a 30274 gen 4 ejector and took the offending g34 out to the woods today. Put about 300 rounds of assorted ammo through it, using new and old mags, and did not have a single malfunction.

Thank you to all who helped.

It's reliable again, and I'm happy.

Ron3
06-23-16, 18:28
I bought a new G29 several years ago that did this.

Having had a G20, I didn't care for the G29. The recoil went from the bottom of the backstrap right into one spot in my palm. Hated it.

That, plus multiple of the malfunctions you describe. Took it back to the dealer, told him I don't like it and it jams. He refunded me minus tax, NICS fee, and $50. I was happy to be rid of it.

Glad you got yours fixed!