PDA

View Full Version : 5.56 stripper clip ease of use question

geezerbutler
08-24-08, 23:33
I just got in a case of Federal Lake City Lake City XM193 A, which is the 900 rnd. stripper clip case..

I ordered the 1,000 rnd XM193 (20 to a box ) and they sent me the stripper clip ammo instead.

The price per round is the same for either type, my question is what is it like loading the AR mags with stripper clips?

I prefer to have loose rounds, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go through the hassle of returing a heavy box of ammo.

If the stripper clips are easy to use I'll just hold on to it.

Your thoughts please....

GEEZER

Erick Gelhaus
08-25-08, 00:37
I've never had a problem loading magazines from the stripper clips. But that may just be me. I find it a lot easier & quicker than loading loose rounds.

jmart
08-25-08, 07:22
Stripper clips are fast. Just apply pressure closer to the casehead, don't do it out near the shoulder of the case or they will bind. Also, since your thumb is close the clip's metal, you might want to use a glove -- not essential, but it does provide added protection. If you don't, concentrate on applying pressure straight down.

When you order this ammo, do they supply the guide/spoon along with it? Also, not having ever used a PMAG, do guides/clips work with PMAGS?

Iraqgunz
08-25-08, 07:22
Geezer,

Simple business. Put the stripper clip guide on the mag and push the clips down hard. The only time I have found it to be an issue is when loading your mags with tracer. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any problems.

markm
08-25-08, 09:01
Stripper clipped XM193 ammo typically commands a noteable premium everywhere I've seen it.

I put much of my old XM193 on stripper clips by hand for storage.

Hound_va
08-25-08, 09:59
jmart, Yes the spoons and clips work with PMAGs.

mark5pt56
08-25-08, 11:25
jmart, Yes the spoons and clips work with PMAGs.

Just don't run them in to fast-you may get two on the same side of the bullet guide.

Not a big deal, just be aware of it.

The clips are great for classes to reduce reload time.