PDA

View Full Version : Colt Competition Rifle

PhilB
04-27-16, 19:07
Hello folks, my first post here. Been reading alot & learning but I may have just made a mistake.
I got an e-mail from PSA a bit ago about a Colt Competition Rifle. It looked really good & I jumped on it. Did a little looking around the net & now I am wondering if maybe this not really a Colt rifle & I should have not have bought it.
I can call American Express & have them to hold the processing on this thing if it's not good.

Here's a linkhttp://palmettostatearmory.com/colt-competition-rifle-marksman-z-series-16-5-56nato-1-moa-crz-16.html?trk_msg=JAII9OBE50F4733IMJTDQQS2KC&trk_contact=9MG6K7Q2OJHJ3F8JK67VPROLIC&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fcolt-competition-rifle-marksman-z-series-16-5-56nato-1-moa-crz-16.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deals+Email&utm_content=5%3a00+Email

What do ya'll think?

Ryno12
04-27-16, 19:11
You've read correctly, pass on it.
There's complete 6920s & OEM models available if you want a Colt AR.

PhilB
04-27-16, 19:49
Thanks Ryno12, I went ahead & killed the deal.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-27-16, 21:50
Check G&R Tactical. He had some Colt OEM 6920s for $750ish if I remember correctly.

Livefreeordie92
04-27-16, 22:59
Colt is really diluting their brand with this kind of crap....

Turnkey11
04-27-16, 23:20
I dont see it as them doing anything different than they have in the past, Colt has always made competition models of their rifles, look at the Sporter and Match Delta HBars of the 90s. Nowadays people tend to be more active with 3 gun than they are the traditional CMP high power rifle matches, which is what this gun is probably marketed towards (3 gun shooters.)

skp
04-28-16, 00:02
I dont see it as them doing anything different than they have in the past, Colt has always made competition models of their rifles, look at the Sporter and Match Delta HBars of the 90s. Nowadays people tend to be more active with 3 gun than they are the traditional CMP high power rifle matches, which is what this gun is probably marketed towards (3 gun shooters.)
Right, but "Colt Competition" is a company in Texas who licensed the Colt name for their products. The rifle mentioned is NOT a Colt. A friend has one, he doesn't use it much but he is happy with it and I liked shooting it but still.

Turnkey11
04-28-16, 01:02
Right, but "Colt Competition" is a company in Texas who licensed the Colt name for their products. The rifle mentioned is NOT a Colt. A friend has one, he doesn't use it much but he is happy with it and I liked shooting it but still.

Disregard my last, I thought it was a colt product.

JasonB1
04-28-16, 06:21

Not sure how much those older guns were intended for competition versus Colt not really being enthused about civilians having them, but still wanting to bring in revenue similar to how Ruger operated with the Mini 14 sales.

djegators
04-28-16, 06:34

Beware "Colt" stripped lowers for sale as well, that are actually these lowers.

T2C
04-28-16, 06:37

Thanks for the heads up.

Antonio5005
04-28-16, 08:31
There was company not too long ago that had the Colt Completion lowers for sale once. Outstanding price for what I thought was a real Colt. Almost bought the thing but backed out when I felt it was too good to be true. Did a little search and found out the same thing. Today though I'm picking up my real Colt, an OEM2 for an SBR build. I'm sure the other lower would perform just as goodl but it wasn't a real Colt.

feraldog
04-28-16, 09:44
Right, but "Colt Competition" is a company in Texas who licensed the Colt name for their products. The rifle mentioned is NOT a Colt. .....

early competition models were built by Bold Ideas in Canby Oregon. when did colt start using a texas firm, and which one?

EDIT... google answered my question: Bold Ideas announced they were building a new plant in 2013, here's the link to an article -

Bold Ideas [of Canby Oregon], a firearms company that makes AR-15 style rifles under the name Colt Competition, will open a plant in tiny Breckenridge, Texas (http://www.gunnews.com/bold-ideas-makes-bold-move-to-texas/)

Clay34
05-22-16, 19:20
Colt Competition builds their rifles with Colt parts so I thought. They are built by one guy from beginning to end not on an assembly line. Check out their new updated web site: http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/

I have a CRP-18 Pro Gen II on order and expect to see it toward the beginning of June (I Hope). I will give you some information on the rifle when I get it. It is not an end of the world rifle, it's my 3 gun gamer gun and I am really looking forward to it.

mebiuspower
05-23-16, 09:22
Colt is really diluting their brand with this kind of crap....

Honestly what kind of marketing people do they employ there... if there is such department at all.

henschman
05-23-16, 16:01
Colt used to be one of those brands that you could direct new buyers to with confidence that everything they make is mil spec or better, and if they do depart from the mil specs on a particular model, it is for a good reason, beyond just cutting corners to lower the overhead.

Not anymore. Now they fall into the same category as PSA, where some of what they make is GTG but some is not, and you have to know what to look for to tell the difference.

OP, I'd say you made a good call by cancelling the order. You can get a Colt 6720 for that same price... or a BCM OEM from Brownell's.