PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor questions

vpetrell
04-28-16, 08:13
I hope this isn't a dumb question.

Is there a difference between suppressor brands?

Currently I am liking at Griffin Armament M4SD-II

I will be using on a 16" ar and a 10.5 sbr.

Any advice is appreciated!

VP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auto-X Fil
04-28-16, 08:44
Most of the large brands have similar reputations for quality and customer service. TBA and SilencerCo seem to top the list, but the others like Griffin are good shops.

Now, are there differences between the actual suppressors? You bet. It's not usually just a tradeoff in terms of weight and size vs. dB rating, either. Some mounts are easier to use, some are more accurate. Some are more versatile. Some have less backpressure.

Major questions to ask:

What guns will you use this on? Are there other guns you might want to get in the future?
How much do you care about size and weight?
How much do you care about accuracy?
How about sound? Are you trying to make it hearing-safe?
Will the suppressor be swapped between firearms a lot?

The biggest thing the M4SD-II has going for it is the A2-birdcage mount. It's not a bad suppressor anyway, but I'd pick a Specwar or M4-2000 for general 5.56 use.

BigWaylon
04-28-16, 08:46
The simple answer is "yes".

1. Customer service
2. Quality
3. Suppression levels
4. Availability of accessories/parts
5. Compatibility across models
6. Length/weight
7. Materials
8. Design
9. Minimum barrel lengths
10. Caliber ratings
11. Attachment methods
12. More things I didn't type

Obviously some of those items impact other items.

Antonio5005
04-28-16, 08:46
I'll start by saying I do not own a suppressor, I hope to eventually but I know people who do. I know probably just enough to get the ball rolling on your question. Yes there are differences. It comes down to a few things that make people decide one brand over the other. Usually it's sound reduction, weight, materials used, caliber size, what type of mounting system, how it's built, can you disassemble it for cleaning, and customer service. I'm sure there are other features that separate them but I have not dove into the fine details yet. Hopefully someone else can come along and be of a little more help.

vpetrell
04-28-16, 08:50
Most of the large brands have similar reputations for quality and customer service. TBA and SilencerCo seem to top the list, but the others like Griffin are good shops.

Now, are there differences between the actual suppressors? You bet. It's not usually just a tradeoff in terms of weight and size vs. dB rating, either. Some mounts are easier to use, some are more accurate. Some are more versatile. Some have less backpressure.

Major questions to ask:

What guns will you use this on? Are there other guns you might want to get in the future?
How much do you care about size and weight?
How much do you care about accuracy?
How about sound? Are you trying to make it hearing-safe?
Will the suppressor be swapped between firearms a lot?

The biggest thing the M4SD-II has going for it is the A2-birdcage mount. It's not a bad suppressor anyway, but I'd pick a Specwar or M4-2000 for general 5.56 use.

Thanks for this. It's overwhelming to see how many options there are!

As for answers, size and weight is important but accuracy is more important. I'd like to keep it as light as possible, but I understand there is a trade off.

As for other weapons, not in my immediate future. I keep my collection small to minimize ammo I need.

The main reason I am looking into this now is to get one before July of this year when the new rules go into effect for the atf.

I'm not overly concerned with sound but the lower decibels the better.
And it will be swapped between 2 guns. A 10.5 sbr and a 16" ar.

All in all this will be for general use.

Thanks for this. I will have to check these other ones out.

VP

vpetrell
04-28-16, 08:52
The simple answer is "yes".

1. Customer service
2. Quality
3. Suppression levels
4. Availability of accessories/parts
5. Compatibility across models
6. Length/weight
7. Materials
8. Design
9. Minimum barrel lengths
10. Caliber ratings
11. Attachment methods
12. More things I didn't type

Obviously some of those items impact other items.

This is a good start for a list.

The biggest concern I have is minimum barrel length since it will be swapped between a 10.5 sbr and a 16 ar.

Quality is very important. But sometimes I know that the name is what allows for a price. Circumstantially.

Auto-X Fil
04-28-16, 09:01
There are some .30 cal cans that work great on 5.56, so if this is going to be your only suppressor, it's hard to ignore that. Then you'd be set for .308 or 300 BLK. The Omega was my first can choice, based on sound/weight/size/versatility. It's not the lightest, most accurate, or quietest in any application - but it's darned close to the best cans in many different uses. That makes is very desirable. Compare that to then Hybrid, which can do essentially everything, but is probably only 70-80% as good as a dedicated can for each job - more versatile, but not as good in any one thing.

If you are a 5.56 guy and that's that, then AAC M4-2000 has a lot going for it. However, AAC is at the bottom of the list of good companies to work with.

W have a SpecWar 5.56 in jail right now because SilencerCo has been just incredible to deal with, and this can is pretty much as good as the M4-2000. Plus, the mounts will work with the Omega - I really like the ASR system. As soon as my 6.5 CRD barrel comes in I'm going to do some serious accuracy testing with it, but on my 5.56 guns I can't tell the difference between direct-thread and ASR in terms of accuracy. Both are just as good as no can at all, with repeatable POI shift.

plinkerr
04-28-16, 09:11
This is a good start for a list.

The biggest concern I have is minimum barrel length since it will be swapped between a 10.5 sbr and a 16 ar.

Quality is very important. But sometimes I know that the name is what allows for a price. Circumstantially.

I'll throw this out there in case you haven't shot suppressed very much. When it comes to 5.56 cans, I haven't come across anything on the market that I think most people would consider to be "quiet", especially on a 10.5". Quiet compared to unsuppressed? Sure, but you will still want to wear hearing protection for training/practice. With that in mind a lot of people (including myself) prioritize the mount/accuracy, durability (especially on 10.5"), back pressure, and first round flash when choosing a 5.56 can.

Back pressure is a big one and something that I think a lot of first time buyers don't put enough emphasis on. Unless you're planning on running an adjustable gas block or something else to try to bleed off the excess gas then it can have a huge impact on the shootability of your rig. It's hard to make decent hits when you're teary-eyed and can't breathe after the first 2-3 shots.

With all that in mind I chose the SF 5.56 RC2 which should be approved any day now. There's another thread in this sub-forum about it if you're curious: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172700-Surefire-Socom-556-RC2

vpetrell
04-28-16, 09:19
I'll throw this out there in case you haven't shot suppressed very much. When it comes to 5.56 cans, I haven't come across anything on the market that I think most people would consider to be "quiet", especially on a 10.5". Quiet compared to unsuppressed? Sure, but you will still want to wear hearing protection for training/practice. With that in mind a lot of people (including myself) prioritize the mount/accuracy, durability (especially on 10.5"), back pressure, and first round flash when choosing a 5.56 can.

Back pressure is a big one and something that I think a lot of first time buyers don't put enough emphasis on. Unless you're planning on running an adjustable gas block or something else to try to bleed off the excess gas then it can have a huge impact on the shootability of your rig. It's hard to make decent hits when you're teary-eyed and can't breathe after the first 2-3 shots.

With all that in mind I chose the SF 5.56 RC2 which should be approved any day now. There's another thread in this sub-forum about it if you're curious: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172700-Surefire-Socom-556-RC2

That's a good point. I am starting to do my research and am finding the back pressure to be a key component to my purchase.

How does the rc2 do on the shorter barrel?

Can you copy that link for me?

I'm sure there is a can out there that will work great on my sbr and full size. Just need to find it!

Thanks

VP

VIP3R 237
04-28-16, 09:22
The M4SDII is a fantastic can that works well with both barrel lengths, and its versatility is hard to match. Surefire and SiCo also both produce excellent cans. Honestly there isn't much difference in quality anymore with the more well known brands. However as mentioned above, no can is going to be hearing safe on a 10.5" barrel.

plinkerr
04-28-16, 09:58
That's a good point. I am starting to do my research and am finding the back pressure to be a key component to my purchase.

How does the rc2 do on the shorter barrel?

Can you copy that link for me?

I'm sure there is a can out there that will work great on my sbr and full size. Just need to find it!

Thanks

VP

I must have added the link while you were typing your response haha, here it is again: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172700-Surefire-Socom-556-RC2

As for how it does on the shorter barrel in depends on what you mean. If you mean sound reduction then I would say that it is just as good as pretty much any other can out there. Which essentially means that there shouldn't be any permanent hearing damage if you had to use your rifle for self defense or for some hunting, but if you were shooting for fun or practice then you should use hearing protection. If you mean durability wise then I think Garin from SureFire answered that question in another area of the Internet:

Originally Posted By Kudu22:
"I know we have never had a SOCOM series can in where the baffles failed or collapsed. Can you run a can to a failure? Absolutely. We do a lot of destructive testing. Recently we actually melted a new Mk18 barrel before the we could get the new SOCOM2 RC can to fail. I mean we melted the barrel to the point molten pieces of the barrel were flying out of the suppressor and finally the barrel above the chamber swelled and split. The insides look charcoal. We were on mag 14 when it happened. I want to state that please do not do this stuff with your suppressor. It will tear your gun up and the can.

The new SOCOM2 series have new computer controlled welding that has lab tests that are over 200% stronger. Doing this welding allows us to not apply as much heat thus keeping the core straighter and faster to build and less time on the EDM machines to do the bore. It is a win, win, win."

I didn't buy a SF silencer because they won the SOCOM contract, but some of the testing that they did in pursuit of that contract did weigh into my decision. It might be out there somewhere, but in my search I couldn't find where any other manufacturer's product had been tested to that extent.

Zane1844
04-28-16, 11:35
I'd consider back pressure and blow back to your face as well, especially if you shoot lefty. I have a 11.5" barrel with a Saker, and if shooting rapidly the gas begins to burn my eyes and blurs the target. Wind, and movement prevents it, however, it is something to consider.

Auto-X Fil
04-28-16, 12:54
Note that if you are setting up a dedicated suppressor host, and will be sizing/locating the gas port accordingly, back pressure can be your friend. For instance, the 11.5" middy barrels.

If you want to have good function and little gas to the face with and without the can on, then back pressure is no bueno. This is another area where .30-cal cans on 5.56 guns shine.

vpetrell
04-28-16, 13:44
Yea this is all new information to me. I haven't ever shot suppressed but want to educate myself as much as possible before I make a purchase.

I think back pressure will be my main issue on the 10.5 so I may have to do some tweaking of the gas block. Maybe.

Or I can get the Griffin Armament M4SD-II and not worry about it!

Who knows. I'm glad I decided to take the plunge down this path. I have a lot to learn about shooting suppressed in a short time.

And I'm not trying to break the bank. So if there are any cans out that meet your needs with out killing a wallet that works too. Is like to keep it around 700 max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk3mark
04-28-16, 15:19
I have their Recce 7 mod 3 and I like it quite a bit. I prefer the taper mount over the QD myself. I'd look into a 762 series can you can kill more than one bird.

Ryno12
04-28-16, 16:03
Or I can get the Griffin Armament M4SD-II and not worry about it!

I have an M4SDII (and 30SD) that I use on my ARs with barrels ranging from a 10.3 Colt Mk18 to a 20" SS410 BCM & it works like a champ. Little to no gas to the face using Raptor CHs. My 11.5" BCM is the only one with an adjustable gas block & I honestly don't think I'd need it. I also don't use ear pro with any of them when shooting suppressed, even the 10.3, and it doesn't bother me. The only gun I use ear pro on when shooting suppressed is my Tavor.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

themonk
04-28-16, 16:13
Do you run any other calibers besides 556?

vpetrell
04-28-16, 16:22
Do you run any other calibers besides 556?

I do not. I don't plan on branching out of that caliber anytime soon either. Helps keep my ammo consolidated to what I need

vpetrell
04-28-16, 16:23
I have an M4SDII (and 30SD) that I use on my ARs with barrels ranging from a 10.3 Colt Mk18 to a 20" SS410 BCM & it works like a champ. Little to no gas to the face using Raptor CHs. My 11.5" BCM is the only one with an adjustable gas block & I honestly don't think I'd need it. I also don't use ear pro with any of them when shooting suppressed, even the 10.3, and it doesn't bother me. The only gun I use ear pro on when shooting suppressed is my Tavor.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

That's good to hear. I will always use ear protection when shooting no matter what.

How do you like the 30sd?

punkey71
04-28-16, 17:14
That's good to hear. I will always use ear protection when shooting no matter what.

Ryno - X2 on your 30SD opinion.

Sent you a PM asking the same.

Ryno12
04-28-16, 19:24

Ryno - X2 on your 30SD opinion.

Sent you a PM asking the same.

So far, so good. I've been doing a ton of load development lately for 300BLK subs, so that's been its primary duty since I got it. It's "giggle like a schoolgirl" quiet with those loads but I haven't shot it enough on my other calibers to give it an honest assessment yet.

Attachment method is the same as the M4SD, of course. It's stays very cool for much longer but I don't know if that's indicative of shooting subs or is because of the fluting on the tube body or both.

Punkey, I didn't get your PM.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/ae3673029a7c2f7dbb1e5e502bcb68d4.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/b53440c56a0d91b39ec7c95d49406e42.jpg

oneeek020
04-28-16, 19:34
X 3 on the 30SD. I'm getting a high four digit bonus from work in the next two-ish weeks and almost all of it is dedicated to NFA items. Trust, ambidextrous lower, SBRing said lower, 45 ACP pistol can, 30cal rifle can, milling out a Glock slide and depending on how much money I have left I'm thinking about getting a Sig 229 Legion.

I've been looking at the 30SD for sometime now but I'm at a loss on which pistol can to get. Not at all picky about the pistol can as long as it has plenty of thread pitch options. And I wouldn't mind the ability to use a 3 lug mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

punkey71
04-28-16, 21:38
So far, so good. I've been doing a ton of load development lately for 300BLK subs, so that's been its primary duty since I got it. It's "giggle like a schoolgirl" quiet with those loads but I haven't shot it enough on my other calibers to give it an honest assessment yet.

Attachment method is the same as the M4SD, of course. It's stays very cool for much longer but I don't know if that's indicative of shooting subs or is because of the fluting on the tube body or both.

Punkey, I didn't get your PM.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/ae3673029a7c2f7dbb1e5e502bcb68d4.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/b53440c56a0d91b39ec7c95d49406e42.jpg

Thanks. Appreciate the info so far.

Re sent the PM in case you can add more info.