PDA

View Full Version : Jentra plug for Glocks

Slater
08-25-08, 07:18
http://www.jentraplug.com/theplug.htm

Seems like it might have some application in sandy/dusty environments. Anybody here use one?

deercop
08-25-08, 08:26
At my last Glock armorer recertification, the instructor was very much opposed to the "butt plugs". He was of the opinion that the opening was designed intentionally to allow debris that gets into the operating system a way to fall free from the weapon, during the normal firing cycle. He also claimed they could interfere with removing a stuck magazine, by eliminating your ability to grab the rear of the mag.

I am of the opinion they are mainly for cosmetic purposes. I've never seen a reason FOR them, nor a reason AGAINST them. YMMV

markm
08-25-08, 08:30
At my last Glock armorer recertification, the instructor was very much opposed to the "butt plugs". He was of the opinion that the opening was designed intentionally to allow debris that gets into the operating system a way to fall free from the weapon, during the normal firing cycle. He also claimed they could interfere with removing a stuck magazine, by eliminating your ability to grab the rear of the mag.

I am of the opinion they are mainly for cosmetic purposes. I've never seen a reason FOR them, nor a reason AGAINST them. YMMV

Those are the two reasons I don't use the plug. If the debris argument were dismissed, I'd only use one that was as hollow as the backstrap is now so a mag gripping area wasn't blocked... Of course they don't make a plug like that.

ToddG
08-25-08, 08:59
We know tests have been performed showing that the plugs can prolong a Glock's ability to function under bad environmental conditions. I seem to recall someone named Larry being involved in one highly publicized test ... ;)

Has there ever been a test or any kind of evidence whatsoever to support the "collects debris and can cause a malfunction" argument? That just sounds like more "any change you make to your Glock will cause cancer" approach the company has taken on every single aftermarket part ever designed.

LOKNLOD
08-25-08, 10:00
Has there ever been a test or any kind of evidence whatsoever to support the "collects debris and can cause a malfunction" argument?

Debris in your gun is like illegal immigrants -- sure it's nice to give it an easy exit, but it's better if it never enters in the first place.

The "mag grabbing" argument makes some sense, I really have no idea why a company couldn't make a plug that had an inverted shape to block the space but create no less clearance than an open backstrap. Tangodown and LAV could get together again make one of these to go with their excellent extended mag release.

markm
08-25-08, 10:12
I really have no idea why a company couldn't make a plug that had an inverted shape to block the space but create no less clearance than an open backstrap.

That would be the only design I'd consider.

M4arc
08-25-08, 10:17
Does anyone practice removing magazines from the backstrap/rear of the magazine whereas this would be an issue? If I have to rip a mag out I just swip the sides of it and have never tried to get a thumb in behind it.

deercop
08-25-08, 10:34
Debris in your gun is like illegal immigrants -- sure it's nice to give it an easy exit, but it's better if it never enters in the first place.

Debris CAN, WILL, and DOES enter the weapon from locations other than the open backstrap.

However, I cannot fathom being in a situation where regular maintenance would allow such debris to fill the backstrap to a point where the plug would be an issue. That said, there are some folks who view regular maintenance in the same light as a regular root canal, so for them it could be an issue. Eventually.

markm
08-25-08, 11:22
However, I cannot fathom being in a situation where regular maintenance would allow such debris to fill the backstrap to a point where the plug would be an issue.

I'd guess that it's not a "fill" issue so much as if some junk gets in there and it gets retained by the plug... where's it going to go when you reholster?? Right back up into the frame and slide.

Probably a non issue for 99.9% of shooters.

ToddG
08-25-08, 17:07
Does anyone practice removing magazines from the backstrap/rear of the magazine whereas this would be an issue?

No. Mine all drop free. From my M&P. :cool:

subzero
08-25-08, 17:27
I have a Pearce plug on all 3 of my 19s. The rounded Pearce, as Dave said, fills the shape nicer and creates a mini-ramp during reloads. I was sold on them keeping gunk out (instead of trapping it in) when I saw va-dinger's Glock backstrap stuffed with grass and mud at a class a couple of years ago. He had no idea that stuff was in there. My Glock was clean.

If adding stuff to Glocks is bad, we'd all be stuck with crappy plastic sights and short mag releases also. BS, says I. My Glocks all have good sights, plugs and a Vickers mag release. Why? Because they're damn good ideas.

I would give half a nod to the "ripping a stuck mag" idea out simply because Glock and aftermarket dumbasses was dumb enough to make and sell non-drop-free mags long enough for that to matter.

But what are people doing with NDF mags these days? Sell them to some idiot who'll keep them in a safe and buy good mags. And a plug. Duh.

For that matter, I don't recall ever having seen an instructor teach ripping out a magazine via booger hook shoved in the backstrap. Maybe one of you instructor types can clear that up for me.

M4arc
08-25-08, 17:39
I would give half a nod to the "ripping a stuck mag" idea out simply because Glock and aftermarket dumbasses was dumb enough to make and sell non-drop-free mags long enough for that to matter.

But what are people doing with NDF mags these days? Sell them to some idiot who'll keep them in a safe and buy good mags. And a plug. Duh.

For that matter, I don't recall ever having seen an instructor teach ripping out a magazine via booger hook shoved in the backstrap. Maybe one of you instructor types can clear that up for me.

Subzero is right.

I haven't seen a NDF mag since the ban expired so magazines on the market, made after 1994 (including the Mil/LEO mags) shouldn't be a problem. IIRC the Euros felt dropping a mag was bad form hence the NDF magazines. It wasn't until the US LE and competition markets started using Glocks did the need arise for a drop free mag.

Regardless, I'm still interested to know if anyone actually uses their thumb to clear a stuck mag?

deercop
08-25-08, 18:14
How about one other reason AGAINST a butt plug - it prohibits the use of a lanyard. (Yes darlings, I work on a boat a lot during the summer months)

RD62
08-25-08, 18:17
I have them on my Glocks.

Just my .02

-RD62

JonInWA
08-26-08, 07:50
If you're in an environment where there's a likely chance of exposure to fine sand/dirt, or high velocity versions of the same, the plug makes sense. If you're in a more temperate climate, or in a winter or mountainous climate, where there's a chance of frozen condensate, snow or ice accumulation needing a drainage/exit point, NOT using a plug makes sense.

For the vast majority of us, I suspect that other than to fulfull a perceived aesthetics need, a plug is unnecessary.

Best, Jon

markm
08-26-08, 08:41
Subzero is right.

I haven't seen a NDF mag since the ban expired so magazines on the market, made after 1994 (including the Mil/LEO mags) shouldn't be a problem. IIRC the Euros felt dropping a mag was bad form hence the NDF magazines. It wasn't until the US LE and competition markets started using Glocks did the need arise for a drop free mag.

Regardless, I'm still interested to know if anyone actually uses their thumb to clear a stuck mag?

I see what you're saying now.... It's not a NDF or DF issue. It's for the class 3 malfuntion... or whatever your instructor of choice calls it. A double feed or some cluster funk up that won't clear without ripping the mag and the half fed round still stuck in the feedlips out.

To clear a slightly sticky mag? No. To clear a mess? Yes. I was show to rip the mag out, cycle twice, and get the gun back up.

markm
08-26-08, 08:42
How about one other reason AGAINST a butt plug - it prohibits the use of a lanyard. (Yes darlings, I work on a boat a lot during the summer months)

I'll use the lanyard when mountain biking (in the hills) which I haven't done in like 4 years. :D

But yeah... I wouldn't want to look down and see an empty holster and wonder where the pistol fell out.

M4arc
08-26-08, 11:18
I see what you're saying now.... It's not a NDF or DF issue. It's for the class 3 malfuntion... or whatever your instructor of choice calls it. A double feed or some cluster funk up that won't clear without ripping the mag and the half fed round still stuck in the feedlips out.

To clear a slightly sticky mag? No. To clear a mess? Yes. I was show to rip the mag out, cycle twice, and get the gun back up.

I agree that the real struggle comes from a malfunction but my original question was/is does anyone actually try and clear the magazine using their thumb?

ToddG
08-26-08, 11:50
If you're in a more temperate climate, or in a winter or mountainous climate, where there's a chance of frozen condensate, snow or ice accumulation needing a drainage/exit point, NOT using a plug makes sense.

How are you carrying or storing the pistol such that drainage would occur out the bottom of the grip frame, anyway?

How much condensation will it take to fill up the entire hollow in the Glock grip when a plug is inserted?

How tight are your mags fitting in the gun that melt is prevented from running out through the mag well?

How do people with grip reductions (which often involve filling the entire backstrap hollow) deal with these issues?

DocGKR
08-26-08, 11:57
As LAV's tests have shown, butt plugs are a key addition to Glocks...

DarkX
08-26-08, 19:03
Have used the Jentra plug on every Glock I own/have owned.

Maybe it is a solution to a problem that does not exist; however, they can serve the purpose of preventing small debris from getting into the hollow of the handgrip.

Depending on how and where you carry this may not be of importance. Asthetically speaking, I like it...just finishes that area off to me.

old grunt
08-27-08, 10:23
My old job would remove them at re-qual. Now that I'm retired I run one in my G26 and have to get a new one for my G19. I think the pluses outweigh the negatives!!:)

DarrinD
08-27-08, 16:59
Dear Gaston,

You designed a superior handgun. However, please get rid of the backstrap channel altogether and design a smaller, and more ergonomic grip so some of us who don't have Gorilla sized hands will not be tempted to switch teams to something like the M&P, which includes grip inserts - one of several updgrades you could have added to the entire Glock line for the 3rd generation (you had the technology). There are other ways to attach a lanyard than making huge back channel that results in a grip with a perplexing hump in it that causes many otherwise happy Glock owners to shoot high.

Thanks,
DarrinD

p.s. I'm not interested in paying close to $200 for a "grip reduction"

JonInWA
08-27-08, 17:10
Darrin, I found that the 3rd Generation Glocks, with their fingergroove frontstraps, thumb indentations and subtly recontoured backstrap grip tang significantly reduced the tendency to instinctively shoot high (which I had noticed with my previous 2nd Generation G23). The modification removed just enough polymer in the affected areas to give me a natural index.

That said, it's probably among the worst of ideas to shoot both a 1911 and a Glock in the same match/session and expect to do well, especially if any sort of speed is involved...

Best, Jon

ToddG
08-28-08, 20:23
Jon -- That all certainly makes sense.

I think what remains, and I believe you'd agree, is for someone to perform some actual testing on the matter. It's easy for me to say "it could drain through the mag well" and it's easy for you to say "it would provide better air flow through the backstrap" but the reality is that no one, to the best of my knowledge, has done any kind of significant and scientific testing of the Glock system under those conditions both with and without a plug.

The one test I am aware of, which involved a different environment, proved conclusively that the plug was a benefit.

As David Sevigny stated in "The Glock In Competition", it's probably $6 better spent on a beer for most of us...

I consider Dave a friend, and he certainly knows far more about Glocks than I do. But it's important to take that comment in context. It's a book about Glocks and competition shooting. From that standpoint, I'm sure it's not a necessity. Whether he believes that same rule of thumb applies to LE/mil operational use in adverse environments seems open to question. I'll shoot him an email and ask if he'd be willing to make a quotable response.

williejc
08-29-08, 02:17
Butt plugs are illegal in Misissippi and Texas.
williejc

ToddG
08-29-08, 15:46
I believe that a test with the plug was conducted by a mil unit and the unit subsequently began issuing Glocks to the men being sent to sandy places. My information could be wrong, though.

jmoore
03-07-13, 09:50

FYI - Can't recall who - but someone makes a plug that has an integral lanyard it it.

john

cigardad
03-07-13, 13:03
FYI - Can't recall who - but someone makes a plug that has an integral lanyard it it.

john

Nowlin. Midway has them.

Packman73
03-07-13, 13:18
I'm more worried about crap getting into my internals than stuff coming out; and I trust LAV.

markm
03-07-13, 13:32
Sometimes you have to bump a 4 year old thread on a silly ass topic like butt plugs. :lol:

Magic_Salad0892
03-07-13, 13:38
Sometimes you have to bump a 4 year old thread on a silly ass topic like butt plugs. :lol:

That's some quotable shit right there. :lol: