PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Online Shooting Lingo

Auto-X Fil
04-29-16, 09:02
Happy Friday, everyone. For those that are new to the internet, allow me to do a little translation:

"Sub-MOA" - Once stacked three shots in 1". Normally a 2-3MOA gun.

"Milk-jugs at 1000" - Was eventually able to get on paper at 1000.

"Benchrest-grade" - was not purchased at Wal-Mart.

"Tricky winds" - not dead-calm today.

"Marine Sniper" - qualified with an M16A1 in the Guard.

"Custom Build" - used $500 gun with a crappy rattlecan job.

Anyone else have some good ones?

brickboy240
04-29-16, 10:33
You know how long it took me to "get' that FLGR meant full length guide rod?

LOL

JC5188
04-29-16, 10:38
Mil-spec = "all the shit I own"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
04-29-16, 10:39
"Tactical"--it's black or camo and would look scary to a non-gun person

"Training"--running around with a bunch of overage, flabby dudes pretending to be able to do what the instructor says

"Militia"--an excuse to buy guns, then drink beer and show them off to your buddies in the woods while you wear your cammies

"Group buy"--imagining that putting up with the hassle of letting someone else order for you and everyone else is somehow worth it because of the tiny amount of money you save

"PayPal gift"--I'm already telling you that I'm dishonest by asking you to help me violate PayPal's rules on firearms transactions, but REALLY you can trust me to send your stuff and it will be as I described.

"It malfunctioned with several brands of ammo"--I don't want to see the words "limp-wristing" in your reply

"F***tard," "Troll", and other terms--anyone who disagrees with me and makes such a good case he might convince other people

SomeOtherGuy
04-29-16, 11:03
"Awesome glass" - wiping the greasy fingerprints off this Tasco let me see shapes and colors through it

"I'm not a glass snob, but..." - I think having to use a Schmidt & Bender is slumming it

"Daylight bright" - Class III or IV laser

"Not daylight bright" - either (A) my eyes are so damaged from the lasers that this little one isn't bright enough, or (B) all my shooting is done at noon, June 21, on a glacier while facing south and looking up

"Not too blasty" - I use this brake for sandblasting when I'm not playing 3-gun

"Tight match chamber" - improperly cut chamber that causes malfunctions, this is my excuse for it

BoringGuy45
04-29-16, 11:13
"Gun expert"-Someone who owns a lot of guns, though he doesn't know what any of them are.

"My buddy is ex-military..."-So he knows everything about every gun that ever was, is, and will be.

Doc Safari
04-29-16, 11:20
"Ran flawlessly"--I put at least 50 rounds of my most reliable ball ammo through my most tested magazine

"Heavy Trigger"--My trigger control skills suck

"Bump" or "Bump to top"--I can't believe people didn't flock to beg me to sell them my used, overpriced crap

"Collector grade"--useless for anything but an expensive conversation piece

"SME"---no matter how old and outdated my skills and knowledge may be, you'd better not criticize me on an open forum

"I know I'm a _____________ fanboy, but..."--my ability to write an objective review just went down the shitter

SteyrAUG
04-29-16, 11:34
Posted back in 2005.

Firearm Terms, Expressions And Their Definitions...

Tactical - Goes well with my flectar tiger strip urban combat marpat BDUs. Comes with a built in gas mask just in case. A firearm option on your favorite video game.

Reliable - Will cycle ammo if you swim in salt water to the range, break dance on the beach for 30 mins with the rifle strapped on your back and take a shit in the receiver prior to firing. Any firearm that will not perform to these exacting standards is unreliable CRAP.

Overpriced junk - Any firearm that costs more than your current firearms and/or is not affordable to you.

Solution to a problem that doesn't exist - Any firearm more advanced and/or complex than your Brown Bess, 1911, M1 Garand or AR15.

Junk Gun - Any firearm not designed and personally hand built by John Browning using 1939 grade Krupp steel forged in a zero gravity environment.

Good gun for the money - A junk gun but you happen to own one and/or all you can afford.

From personal experience - I have seen every "Tales of the Gun" ever made about this firearm and/or I once held one at a gunshow.

Accurate - "Whoa! I hit the barn."

WW2 Vet bring-back = Imported by CAI in the late 1980s/early 1990s

Plinker - Cobbled together parts marginally safe and acurate to within the width of the muzzle blast.

Jam O Matic - Doesn't seem to work with my 1970s production Bangladesh mil spec steel case ammo.

Firepower - Any firearm that is big or looks formidable regadless of actual magazine capacity or caliber.

Shoots good - When fired, a bullet will exit the muzzle and fly in the general direction of where the muzzle is pointed.

AK47 - Any firearm that is not immediately distinguishable as a break open shotgun or Luger.

Uzi - Any firearm that is not immediately distinguishable as a AK47.

Glock - A porcelain gun that you cannot afford and will go through airport metal detectors. Quote from Die Hard 2 "That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It dosen't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month."

ABNAK
04-29-16, 12:31
"I run an XXX on my AR"-----I have placed/mounted this item on my weapon but it sounds sooo much cooler to say "run".

"Cleaning? An AR doesn't need to be cleaned except maybe every 1000rds or so, the carbon is self-limiting"----I'm too fvcking LAZY to properly maintain my weapon.

Kain
04-29-16, 12:39
LNIB "like new in box" used but i still have the box and was able to clean it up to where someone who doesnt know what they are looking at might think it is new. also likely to be marked at or above MSRP.

Used: used and you might not want to know how or in what ways or for how long.

low round count: shot the hell out of it.

clean: wiped the finger prints off it but it has never been properly cleaned and it filthy inside.

Doc Safari
04-29-16, 13:00
"Thinning the herd"--I'm getting rid of anything that has something wrong with it.

"Wrong grip angle"--I can't hit shit with this gun.

"Poor sights"--my eyesight is crappy, or I can't hold my hand steady enough to line up the three dots

"Too much magnification"--I'm so out of shape that I can't hold the gun steady enough at any magnification to keep the reticle on target

"______________ is how I roll"--I'm too lazy , stupid, or just plain don't care to learn to do it the proper way.

"I have years of experience with ______________"--and I still can't shoot worth a crap

"The gun had a lot of extraction/ejection/feeding problems"--I can't understand why my fifty-year old Egyptian ammo won't go bang

" I did a __________ long tour in ______________"--so you better listen to whatever I post next even though I was a desk jockey who never even fired a round at the enemy.

"Gently used"--I shot the living dog piss out of it but you can't tell by looking at it.

"Very little wear"--but like a dumbass I did things to it that the manual warned might damage it.

"I was actually looking for one that had__________________"--your price is higher than I want to pay. I thought you were stupid and would let me have it for way less than it's worth.

BoringGuy45
04-29-16, 13:39
"I have __ years of experience with firearms": The number of years is how long ago they bothered to learn anything new about firearms in general.

brickboy240
04-29-16, 13:45
"wrong grip angle" usually translates to a grip angle you are not used to and will use as an excuse for your poor marksmanship.

I am so sick of that and "high bore axis" as excuses.

...please

If you are a half way decent shooter with good shooting habits, you should easily be able to pick up and qualify with a any Glock or SIG pistol. Ok, you might not be off to Camp Perry or winning the IDPA match but you SHOULD be able to get by with either.

ramairthree
04-29-16, 14:03
"Industry Professional with Special Operations and LE background"

=I was in the air national guard as an E5 and and the armorer for SPs or "SOF" gunship guys

Or

=I was a spec4 in the 82nd, went to VTAC, am a cop and am an instructor

Leaveammoforme
04-29-16, 14:17
It has been mentioned before, but it is worth repeating as it's still seen in daily use.

The use of bbl as an abbreviation for barrel since typing another 3 letters is such a chore. Nevermind that a blue barrel is a unit of volume that has no correlation to firearms.

elephant
04-29-16, 14:35
My general observation:

"builder special"- I took this shit apart a while back, couldn't figure out how to put it back together, its been sitting for a while and I just want to get rid of it. - selling it as is!

"go to gun" - its the most expensive gun/set up a person has, rarely shoots it, talks about it non stop, has more photos of it than his family.

"Vintage colt" - anything made before 2010

"BCM" - it stands for Bravo Company USA, when someone brings up in discussion its usually referring to a build they just finished or starting or they are insisting that you use BCM parts, don't mention or even ask about any other alternatives brands or recommendations because they will retaliate. BCM customers are loyal, and they talk about BCM like the company was founded by Jesus of Nazarene.

"Upgrade"- referring to parts that a child can swap out, grip, stock, BUIS, sling etc.

"looking for advice" - no they are not! they are looking for justification and majority of people to agree with them.

"fan boys" - guys who wont shut up about a particular manufacture, usually KAC or Colt. Im a Noveske Fan Boy!

"SME"- some people think this is the equivalent of an ex Navy seal or Delta operator. Admired and looked up to by many, usually speak in parables in forum discussions.

"my buddy is ex military"- as boringGuy45 mentioned earlier, usually referring to friend who was an E-1-2 and served for 4 years, served in 588th Wheeled vehicle maintenance depot.

"experienced" - not to be confused with lots of experience, this means, a person has at least once at one time or another had an experience with a particular topic

Firefly
04-29-16, 14:39
LE background =

Either BTDT ghettowise or just cuts tickets and tries to get a military haircut and go full tackleberry.

I find enthusiasm or lack thereof is inversely proportional to the aforementioned

"Hey guyz how can I convince Chief to let me get a patrol SMAW, I work in a semi-rural, predominantly white area but always gotta be prepared"

vs.

"Hey guyz I look forward to burning my polo shirts and crotch killing 5.11 pants in a bonfire while dancing naked and hepped up on 'shine. West Virginny grade shine"

But because I'm not totally bitter, the median is "I can hit a man size target with a pistol at leasr once a year and can fill the hell out some paperwork"

:p

BoringGuy45
04-29-16, 15:25
LE background =

Either BTDT ghettowise or just cuts tickets and tries to get a military haircut and go full tackleberry.

I find enthusiasm or lack thereof is inversely proportional to the aforementioned

"Hey guyz how can I convince Chief to let me get a patrol SMAW, I work in a semi-rural, predominantly white area but always gotta be prepared"

vs.

"Hey guyz I look forward to burning my polo shirts and crotch killing 5.11 pants in a bonfire while dancing naked and hepped up on 'shine. West Virginny grade shine"

But because I'm not totally bitter, the median is "I can hit a man size target with a pistol at leasr once a year and can fill the hell out some paperwork"

:p

Online (and in gun stores) when someone says "law enforcement" they usually mean "bail bonds".

Firefly
04-29-16, 15:37
"Bail bonds"
"Bail Enforcement"
"Bounty Hunter"
"Bond Agent"
"Skip Tracer"

MFW
https://49.media.tumblr.com/7359bb1760a0675ffbc100344b2b8b5d/tumblr_mg9l26viHT1r2o0q0o1_500.gif

And as for "Bounty Hunter" you aren't Boba Fett, Lee Van Cleef, Rally Vincent, nor even Dog the Bounty Hunter . Stop saying it.

26 Inf
04-29-16, 15:43
"Bail bonds"
"Bail Enforcement"
"Bounty Hunter"
"Bond Agent"
"Skip Tracer"

And as for "Bounty Hunter" you aren't Boba Fett, Lee Van Cleef, Rally Vincent, nor even Dog the Bounty Hunter . Stop saying it.

How about Tracer Bullet?

http://www.geocities.ws/morganvincent/candh/tracer/bullet21.html

Leaveammoforme
04-29-16, 15:46
"Bail bonds"
"Bail Enforcement"
"Bounty Hunter"
"Bond Agent"
"Skip Tracer"

MFW
https://49.media.tumblr.com/7359bb1760a0675ffbc100344b2b8b5d/tumblr_mg9l26viHT1r2o0q0o1_500.gif

Was in a security class and one lady spouted off about being a bounty hunter. The instructor called her on it in front of everyone.

"What are you doing in my class if you're already a licensed bounty hunter? You're a skip trace, stop saying stuff that isn't true."

I giggle every time I hear "Bounty Hunter" now as I reflect back to that lady's face.

Firefly
04-29-16, 15:49
How about Tracer Bullet?

http://www.geocities.ws/morganvincent/candh/tracer/bullet21.html

He was a hardboiled Private Eye. He gets exempt

ColtSeavers
04-29-16, 16:43
"Belt Keepers" - These came with my Rick Grimes The Walking Dead zombie holster/duty belt package. I immediately assumed the military uses them as well.

"Basement Dwellers" - How DARE you disagree with me

"PMC" / Private Military Contractor - Shell/Exxon/Halliburton generator mechanic that worked overseas for awhile

"93r" - I went full retard

"Medicated for your protection" - I supplement my subscription medication.

Firefly
04-29-16, 16:52
Beretta 93R went from a cool Mack Bolan gun to being irrevocably connotated with retardation.

"Howdy"- Everything that follows is not just a lie, but a damn lie

Leaveammoforme
04-29-16, 18:54
"Sniper rifle"
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/leaveammoforme/Mobile%20Uploads/1460136602_zpshuencp71.jpg (http://s447.photobucket.com/user/leaveammoforme/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1460136602_zpshuencp71.jpg.html)

SteyrAUG
04-29-16, 19:03
Beretta 93R went from a cool Mack Bolan gun to being irrevocably connotated with retardation.

I must have missed the relevant threads. Do they still exist?

sevenhelmet
04-29-16, 19:36
"5.11" - A company which makes clothing commonly sold in gun and sporting goods stores. If you wear/own/try on anything made by this company, you will be permanently labelled as a loser mall ninja and belittled until you sell all your guns and delete your profile.

"Emoji" - Real men don't need them. Occasional use may be tolerated, however.

"Operate" - Put on something brown or camo, sling a rifle, and pose for the camera.

"Spelling" - Optional. Too much proper use of this can get you labelled as a poser. Or a liberal spy.

"TOS" - The Other Site. A gun forum populated largely by idiots. It shall not be named, although some members here are spies over there. Talking up or linking to that website may get you banned.

"Workout" - Lifting weights. You'd better not be doing any cardio.

Dist. Expert 26
04-29-16, 19:53
I might have missed this, but

"Custom build"- a stock AR-15 that the end user slapped a bunch of Magpul stuff onto. The working components of the rifle should not be changed at all.

26 Inf
04-29-16, 19:59
I must have missed the relevant threads. Do they still exist?

You?? Missed a thread?? No sayeth I....... start at post 267 it gets to rolling, and unfortunately my BFF gets banned.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?180883-Only-one-handgun-for-post-apocalypse-%28hypothetical-question%29

26 Inf
04-29-16, 20:17
'Armorer' - any graduate of a 1-day shake and bake manufacturer's course, who can generally disassemble the weapon they are certified on for cleaning without hurting themselves..too badly..often seen in walk-in ER's with a punch through a digit, or a spring lodge in their eye.

'OP' - original poster. In many cases a person who innocently, but out of genuine need, starts a thread asking for advice or assistance. Generally quickly disappears as the thread evolves into a circular argument over mil-spec vs. hobby rifles. There is a heaven where OP's sit, quaffing mead and stoking a Viking Maiden's inner thigh, as they watch the thread they started continue on it's merry way without them.

'High Round Count Class' - you are nobody until you've been to one.

SteyrAUG
04-29-16, 21:35
You?? Missed a thread?? No sayeth I....... start at post 267 it gets to rolling, and unfortunately my BFF gets banned.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?180883-Only-one-handgun-for-post-apocalypse-%28hypothetical-question%29

Man, talk about delivering right from the start.

Ernst
04-29-16, 21:46
"Furniture" - what I call the plastic stuff on my rifle.

"Platform" - what I call my rifle.

Jellybean
04-29-16, 21:50
I'll leave this here as well;

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hQEMn4DJNwo/UrdeIx1XuSI/AAAAAAAAAe4/KzvNtuj4Sk8/s1600/TacTardSpeak.gif

I do my best to work as many of these as possible into daily conversations...
:laugh:

Firefly
04-29-16, 22:31
How is "footwork" tactical?

Sitting on a phone calling up folks or knocking on doors of grody hovels to find out which baby mama broke Demarco's new Charger is now in the realm of tacticality?(which isn't a word but I'm going to use it)

I don't like this game of bingo.

26 Inf
04-29-16, 22:35
Well, I don't know about you, but on the street, in the real world, I have to have a combat mindset in order to be ready for any engagement as operators like me play by big boy rules. You don't get ready for the next dynamic critical incident by training on the square range, you have to train like you fight with the weapon system you will using to avoid training scars and compromising your stress innoculation. Warriors have to be able to get inside the other guys OODA loop and provide disruptive stimuli to maximize the affect their mental conditioning has on their opponent. Us Tier One operators practice all that in order to have a clear ocular window looking out onto the work space as we pivot from threat axis to threat axis with our disruptive footwork powerstroking the lesser warrior into oblivion.

I believe BLACKOUT be the WORD. Bonus points for work space, threat axis and stimuli.

Firefly
04-29-16, 22:55
26, that was the most Dynamic post ever.

Way better than "That thingy that does that thing because it's supposed to"
Which I've been guilty of saying.

Like when I was a kid I could name all the dinosaurs and now I can't. Same with all this other stuff so bleh

elephant
04-29-16, 23:45
"SHTF" - it means when the brown stuff hits the ventilation system. This is a mentality, a way of life for people who think the end of civilization is soon to end. These people think there is going to be a day where everything comes crashing down-usually referring to a US government invasion and they will have to go on about there life carrying a slinged AR-15 while wearing a plate carrier and Peltor comtac headset. These people talk about this scenario daily, but if SHTF, these people will be the ones that stick out like a sore thumb.

"Preppers" - these are people who claim there will be a total collapse in society, theories ranging from China invasion, financial system collapse, martial law, nuclear war etc. These people move away from civilization and isolate themselves, stock up on guns and ammo, can and jar there own food, grow there own gardens, and generally go to the extreme by building bunkers, booby traps, and they perform emergency drills with there family while there kids roll there eyes- they take this lifestyle seriously. These will be the first people to panic in an actual catastrophic event and will likely whore out there wife and children for things like fuel and water.

"experienced shooter"- referring to people who recently attended a 1 or 2 day tactics coarse or training seminar, they talk as if they just got back from the Bin Laden raid in Pakistan. Most of these people are know it alls once they receive there certificate for completing the 250 round 1/2 day coarse, they should write a book, like a first hand account but written in 3rd person under a pen name about there elite professionalism and tactical know how on a range.

Moose-Knuckle
04-30-16, 03:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzwVXA9J620

Moose-Knuckle
04-30-16, 03:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6LqWGi79g

JC5188
04-30-16, 05:49
If I were a BG and ran up against that dude, I'd just shoot myself.

I'm sure he's a great guy, but that's one scary mofo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-30-16, 10:24
Well, I don't know about you, but on the street, in the real world, I have to have a combat mindset in order to be ready for any engagement as operators like me play by big boy rules. You don't get ready for the next dynamic critical incident by training on the square range, you have to train like you fight with the weapon system you will using to avoid training scars and compromising your stress innoculation. Warriors have to be able to get inside the other guys OODA loop and provide disruptive stimuli to maximize the affect their mental conditioning has on their opponent. Us Tier One operators practice all that in order to have a clear ocular window looking out onto the work space as we pivot from threat axis to threat axis with our disruptive footwork powerstroking the lesser warrior into oblivion.

I believe BLACKOUT be the WORD. Bonus points for work space, threat axis and stimuli.

You didn't use the term 'free space' from the matrix...

The only defense I have is that I stop doing stupid things when people point out how stupid they are to do. So many people just keep doing it.

Arik
04-30-16, 10:28
"I've owned it for 30 years and it never gave me problems." Usually referring to a crapy gun someone is inquiring about as a purchase --- Translation: I have physically owned it for 30 years but only shot 6 rounds

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sevenhelmet
04-30-16, 10:47
"TEOTWAWKI" - Acronym for "The End Of The World As We Know It". Generally used by people who have misguided fantasies about the real world turning into some sort of Mad Max scenario they believe will be uniquely fun for them. Loss of credibility is likely for using this one. In common use on TOS (see page 3).

Phillygunguy
04-30-16, 13:10
Here's an old one, Turd polish..
might have been mentioned but it's someone who thinks their Bushmaster, Window weaponry, DPMS , etc.is as good as Colt, BCM, DD because they threw on an eotech, muzzle break, titanium firing pin and duracoated the Shit out of it.

Firefly
04-30-16, 14:32
'The End of The World As We Know It'.....
Let's say the world ended but we didn't know it ended. What if we're already dead and this is like Purgatory or some really lucid dying dream?

Ever see Jacobs Ladder? Like that.

Think about it.

I see how the fantasy of a New Old West could be captivating. Killing up raiders, righting wrongs, but....after a while, it would be pointless.

Dressing up like a gay biker in assless chaps in the desert would be fun for a while but I'd miss normal life.

Maybe just go to Burning Man?

And that's something else. When I was a kid, I got to play Oregon Trail on the Apple computer and life was hard. Huge soft floppies, weird monochrome, and Dysyntery. Always Dysentery. I looked it up and it was the shits. You literally shit yourself to death.

I can't go out like that man. And Oregon kinda sucks. Was it worth the trip? I always named at least one guy He Man and even he died of Dysentery.

Why is everyone in such a rush to die of Dysentery?

I have no illusions that I probably would die horribly in the apocalypse.....of Dysentery

Firefly
04-30-16, 17:29
I also wish to state, respectfully, that Pat McNamara looks and sounds like Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds.

Like if you showed up looking like a tool he would hold you over a balcony growling "nerds....NERDS"

And praise God he's on our side.

Dionysusigma
04-30-16, 18:27
Overused:

"A buddy of mine..." or "My buddy"
"Flawless"
"Eats X like candy"
"Kicks like a mule"
"Hits like a (freight) train"

Any time I hear or read these, I roll my eyes... they're hyperbole, and especially the first one is most likely "I read it somewhere" or "I heard about a guy." Ask specifically who it was, and most of the time whoever used the phrase either dodges the clarification or lies effortlessly.

williejc
04-30-16, 20:11
Anybody got any DUMDUM bullets or cop killer bullets? I have some at a good price point. Ever wonder they why add point to price? If you aren't ready to make a financial distribution at this point in time, I'll hold them for your consideration. Ugh.

In a shop that may have traditional collector items either sporting or military, beware if you hear this phrase: "That's the way I got it". The owner is tip toeing around a non standard part, finish, or alteration. Not everyone will pick up on this phrase but will later once he learns that his purchase is not as pristine as he thought.

I cringe when I hear somebody say that when buying certain premium brands, the purchaser is paying for name only. Guys who buy Taurus products and cheap AR's say this crap about those buying better brands.

Caeser25
04-30-16, 20:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6LqWGi79g

I always wanted to take one of his classes, maybe I'll show up in boxers and house shoes.