PDA

View Full Version : The Stigmatized Olympians

WillBrink
04-30-16, 06:38
Kim Rhode is hoping to win an Olympic medal in Rio this summer, as she did at each of the preceding five Summer Games. That would make her the first American ever to win a medal at six different Olympics. Swimmer Michael Phelps has climbed the podium at only three.

If Rhode stands relatively anonymously on the cusp of American Olympic history, that’s because her sport is less popular than swimming, and lots more controversial. She shoots a shotgun. At the London Games, which started days after a mass shooting at a movie theater in Colorado, Rhode and other Team USA shooters received anonymous online death threats, requiring additional security.

“Our sport has an unfortunate stigma attached to it,” says Rhode, a 36-year-old Southern Californian. Following December’s deadly shooting rampage in nearby San Bernardino, the media sought out comment from Rhode, who expressed sorrow for the victims and support for gun rights. Why should that crime have placed her in the spotlight? she asks: “You don’t hear them asking Nascar drivers to comment on crimes involving cars.”

‘You don’t hear them asking Nascar drivers to comment on crimes involving cars.’
—Three-time gold medalist Kim Rhode

The very thing that makes shooting the most controversial Olympic sport—its use of guns—also provides a strong base of support. When Rhode visits Cabela’s, the outdoors sporting-goods retailer, mobs of fans seek her autograph. Along with Winchester, Beretta and several other firearms-related concerns, Cabela’s sponsors Rhode. “Compared with other sports, we have a massive industry behind us,” says Rhode, a wife and mother who says she’s the “primary breadwinner.”

Cont:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-stigmatized-olympians-1460673461

Pilot1
04-30-16, 06:59
I'm surprised the shooting sports are still allowed in the Olympics. Over the past thirty plus years, they have become so PC, and Progressive, I can't watch anymore.

sevenhelmet
04-30-16, 09:26
I will never cease to be amazed that people will, in the wake of a tragedy, threaten the life of a 3rd party who is representing their country by being one of the best at what they do.

But at least pot-head swimmers get the limelight...

And we wonder how we got here.

soulezoo
04-30-16, 10:46
I'm surprised the shooting sports are still allowed in the Olympics. Over the past thirty plus years, they have become so PC, and Progressive, I can't watch anymore.
There is a move to remove shooting from the pentathlon. The pentathlon is one of the original events in Ancient Greece and the event George S. Patton competed (and came close to winning.)

Hank6046
04-30-16, 12:54
I will never cease to be amazed that people will, in the wake of a tragedy, threaten the life of a 3rd party who is representing their country by being one of the best at what they do.

Never under estimate the peoples ability to point fingers at something with out first investigating the merit of doing so.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-30-16, 14:23
The fact that people would equate these guns with the guns used in shootings; these Olympians with those assholes shows how truly delusional and illogical these people are.

Firefly
04-30-16, 14:24
This is weapons grade stupid.

There was a time when if you were a gold medal biathlete or shooter, you were considered to be a badass.

We might as well blame the NBA for popping out dope fiends, woman beaters, and rapists.

I'm tired of people projecting their insecurities onto others

WillBrink
04-30-16, 16:27
The fact that people would equate these guns with the guns used in shootings; these Olympians with those assholes shows how truly delusional and illogical these people are.

What all anti gun types have in common:

• Don't know a thing about guns
• Ignore history
• Ignore the data
• Prefer emotions over objective discussions.

jpmuscle
04-30-16, 18:39
This is weapons grade stupid.

There was a time when if you were a gold medal biathlete or shooter, you were considered to be a badass.

We might as well blame the NBA for popping out dope fiends, woman beaters, and rapists.

That's just racist lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Turnkey11
04-30-16, 22:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF6L8C0ZfOs
:cool:

T2C
04-30-16, 23:21
It requires a lot of hard work and dedication to rise to the level Ms. Rhode has achieved. She should only have to concern herself with how she will prepare for the next Olympics and not all the liberal, political, anti-American nonsense.

MountainRaven
04-30-16, 23:26
There is a move to remove shooting from the pentathlon. The pentathlon is one of the original events in Ancient Greece and the event George S. Patton competed (and came close to winning.)

IMHO, the Olympics have been going downhill ever since they moved the biathlon from centerfire military cartridges to .22 rimfire.

Vandal
04-30-16, 23:45
IMHO, the Olympics have been going downhill ever since they moved the biathlon from centerfire military cartridges to .22 rimfire.

Completely agree. I've been wanting some some recoil in the summer Olympics for years.

Moose-Knuckle
05-02-16, 04:22
I just want to know when are they going to let male athletes compete as women?

You know cause that is the issue of our time now.