PDA

View Full Version : SEAL killed in Iraq today

rocsteady
05-03-16, 12:24
Just caught this on the news...RIP.

http://www.stripes.com/news/3rd-us-servicemember-a-navy-seal-killed-in-fight-against-islamic-state-1.407568

"Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said the incident occurred north of Mosul during an Islamic State group attack on a peshmerga fighting position. Mosul, which was captured by Islamic State fighters in 2014, is used by the terrorist group as its capital in Iraq. The city is about 50 miles west of Irbil, which is Iraqi-controlled and used by U.S. forces to train Iraqi forces.

Cook said the servicemember worked as an adviser to the peshmerga, a Kurdish fighting group that has been a close ally to the United States and considered the most effective fighting force in northern Iraq. He was working at a position located about three to five kilometers behind the peshmerga’s front lines, Cook said"

"...Two defense officials said Islamic State fighters used vehicle-borne explosives to breach the peshmerga’s front line and then were able to reach the SEAL’s position, where he was killed by small-arms fire."

Does your average American even realize, or care, that people are still dying all over the world serving in our military?

svtpwnz
05-03-16, 13:15
Sadly the average American is clueless with their faces stuffed into their IPhones consumed with useless drivel and may see it on their FB page to share. Our fighting men battle and die with their hands tied behind their backs for a commander in cheif that isn't worth holding a door for! God rest his soul and prayers to his family.

JC5188
05-03-16, 13:41
Sad news.

RIP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
05-03-16, 16:21
Does your average American even realize, or care, that people are still dying all over the world serving in our military?

The average American thinks the "advisers" being talked about on the news are consultants who stand in planning rooms looking at maps saying "you guys should try this..."

nml
05-03-16, 16:27
R.I.P. Mr. Keating

Does your average American even realize, or care, that people are still dying all over the world serving in our military?This is not new. Congress has not declared war since 1941. In Vietnam War we had SF dying alongside Cambods. Almost 50 years later not much appears to have changed. SEALs K.I.A. alongside Iranian-led KRG fighters.

Pilot1
05-03-16, 17:41
Sadly the average American is clueless with their faces stuffed into their IPhones consumed with useless drivel and may see it on their FB page to share. Our fighting men battle and die with their hands tied behind their backs for a commander in cheif that isn't worth holding a door for! God rest his soul and prayers to his family.

^^^^^This. Well said.

BangBang77
05-03-16, 17:45
Somewhere tonight, a family is struggling to cope with the loss of this SEAL. While families, friends, and neighbors bring food by, stop to tell a story, share a funny memory, there are no appetites, no joyful laughter. Only the empty feeling of a man that can never be replaced. A feeling of void.

When I read or hear about another military loss, not only do I think of his/her teammates but also of the family and how their entire world has been turned upside down. I don't think of the people who are more concerned with Facebook updates or Tweets. They are not worth my anger or scorn for their lack of understanding or respect.

Rest in Peace SEAL.

ABNAK
05-03-16, 19:55
Somewhere tonight, a family is struggling to cope with the loss of this SEAL. While families, friends, and neighbors bring food by, stop to tell a story, share a funny memory, there are no appetites, no joyful laughter. Only the empty feeling of a man that can never be replaced. A feeling of void.

When I read or hear about another military loss, not only do I think of his/her teammates but also of the family and how their entire world has been turned upside down. I don't think of the people who are more concerned with Facebook updates or Tweets. They are not worth my anger or scorn for their lack of understanding or respect.

Rest in Peace SEAL.

Oh yeah, definitely. One life lost announced on TV half a world away doesn't resonate with the masses as one or more broken homes and lives changed forever, usually not for the better.....

FlyingHunter
05-03-16, 20:03
Prayers to the families and friends of the fallen.

About 13 years ago:

Mosul fell on April 11, 2003, when the Iraqi Army 5th Corps, loyal to Saddam, abandoned the city and eventually surrendered, two days after the fall of Baghdad. US Army Special Forces with Kurdish fighters quickly took civil control of the city. By November 8, 2004, insurgents were conducting coordinated attacks and ambushes in an attempt to take over the city. That same day, units from the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, known as "Deuce Four", fought with the insurgents in the vicinity of the Yarmuk traffic circle, in the heart of western Mosul.

I struggle to understand why our best died there then and now. Prayers out to all both past and present affected by the battles in Mosul.

HKGuns
05-03-16, 20:27
RIP Shipmate.

skydivr
05-04-16, 15:39
I hope he took a few of the bastards with him..

T2C
05-04-16, 19:21
Fair winds and following seas.

Col_Crocs
05-05-16, 01:25

Get worse than that. Dave Castro posted about this on his instagram and you have a dumbdumb over there saying "F*** him. they are killing women and children there." blah blah blah.

rocsteady
05-05-16, 13:06
I hope he took a few of the bastards with him..

Fox reporting that good guys took 50 of the enemy out in the gunfight.

Sam
05-05-16, 14:18
Fox reporting that good guys took 50 of the enemy out in the gunfight.

That's including the airstrikes.

nova3930
05-05-16, 14:43

And I would add doing it in lands not worth taking a dump in for people who'd mostly want us dead.

The longer I go and the more I work with service members in my job, the less I like these military interventions. Our military members volunteer to do the dirty, dangerous work most of us wont and by god they deserve better than to spill their blood over worthless desert and people that hate us....

WillBrink
05-05-16, 16:38
Just caught this on the news...RIP.

http://www.stripes.com/news/3rd-us-servicemember-a-navy-seal-killed-in-fight-against-islamic-state-1.407568

"Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said the incident occurred north of Mosul during an Islamic State group attack on a peshmerga fighting position. Mosul, which was captured by Islamic State fighters in 2014, is used by the terrorist group as its capital in Iraq. The city is about 50 miles west of Irbil, which is Iraqi-controlled and used by U.S. forces to train Iraqi forces.

Cook said the servicemember worked as an adviser to the peshmerga, a Kurdish fighting group that has been a close ally to the United States and considered the most effective fighting force in northern Iraq. He was working at a position located about three to five kilometers behind the peshmerga’s front lines, Cook said"

"...Two defense officials said Islamic State fighters used vehicle-borne explosives to breach the peshmerga’s front line and then were able to reach the SEAL’s position, where he was killed by small-arms fire."

If they know, they don't care other than mil families for the most part. It's part of the growing divide of the spoiled lazy masses who know who won Dancing With The Stars for the last few years, but couldn't tell you where Mosul was if they had a gun to their head.

SeriousStudent
05-05-16, 20:27
My thoughts and prayers are with the fallen warrior, his family and his Teammates.

Moose-Knuckle
05-06-16, 02:00
Disgusting . . .

Charlie Keating IV, Grandson of Notorious Banker, Identified as Navy SEAL Killed by ISIS

The U.S. Navy SEAL killed by direct fire during an ISIS-led siege in Iraq was identified Tuesday as Charlie Keating IV, a Phoenix high school graduate — and grandson of the banker who came to symbolize America's savings and loan crisis of the 1980s.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/charlie-keating-iv-grandson-notorious-banker-identified-navy-seal-killed-n567361

Navy SEAL Killed in Iraq Was Close to Disgraced Grandfather

Keating's grandfather, Charles H. Keating Jr., who died in 2014 at age 90, was the notorious financier who served prison time for his role in the costliest savings and loan failure of the 1980s.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/navy-seal-killed-iraq-identified-arizona-native-38856929

I wonder if they will report next that his great-great-great-great-grandfather owned slaves.

26 Inf
05-06-16, 09:05
I guess I didn't read it that way.

Here's what I got....

A kid, who was no doubt born with a silver spoon is his mouth, was raised in an environment that gave him the character to compete in athletics at an elite level, had chops enough to get into the Naval Academy, and the Teams.

I also got that he was well regarded by those around him, and loved his Grandfather, despite his notoriety, which is kind of the way Jesus rolled.

I thought the article as a whole spoke well of this young man and I'm proud that he was an American.

God Bless him and his family, especially, his fiance.

Moose-Knuckle
05-06-16, 18:11
I guess I didn't read it that way.

IMHO the media can't help themselves when it comes to scandals. Let the man RIP, there is no need to include something the man's grandfather did back in the 80's in the headlines that has nothing to do with the story.

ramairthree
05-07-16, 23:58
**** Iraq and duck the assholes bad mouthing him for who his grandfather was.

He could have led a life fancy cars, big homes, and beautiful women and never worked a day in his life.
Instead,
He made it through what is probably the most arduous of the SOF pipelines.
He excelled and continued on with the forging of real, on target combat that most don't experience.
And he is dead.

Mosul was a thing of beauty about eight years ago.
Multiple strike forces hitting sometimes more than one objective a night.
So busy even a dedicated day strike force.
Savages being rolled up, wounded, and killed left and right.
And giving up more savages.
Mohawks lining up more hits.
It was both the most exciting, and most harrowing of my nearly thirty years of service.
It was like the godamed Wild West and it got cleaned up like the sheriff and one huge, bad ass posse had hit the town with some marshals and Texas Rangers thrown in to boot.

It was so effective a sole strike forces there a few years later was almost like they were in a ghost town with tumble weeds blowing by the last couple times I was there.

And now it is a shithole with Amercians getting killed again.

I am at the point it is time to go full What Would Thor Do and just ****ing make sure we never have to go back.
And if we don't have the resolve and commitment to do that to hell with it.

Firefly
05-08-16, 00:30
Grandpa is Grandpa regardless of what other people think. Unless he was like a pedo, otherwise he's off limits.

Everybody focuses on the bullshit while ignoring the real shit