PDA

View Full Version : OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Slater
05-03-16, 15:27
The OH-58D is being phased out of US Army service soon, but it appears some have found a new home:

http://www.dsca.mil/sites/default/files/mas/tunisia_16-28.pdf

Didn't realize that Tunisia was that close of an ally to us. But aren't these pretty old aircraft anyway?

nml
05-03-16, 15:43
If they wanted the F variant they should have paid the Clinton Foundation bribe. I mean donate.

nova3930
05-03-16, 16:02
Didn't realize that Tunisia was that close of an ally to us. But aren't these pretty old aircraft anyway?

First flight was the year I was born so yeah. When I worked rotary wing support I would have sworn to you that my grandkids would be flying the damn things too. US Army is totally incompetent when it comes to procuring a scout helicopter. We can't integrate existing sensors onto existing helicopters without going way over cost and schedule...

Slater
05-03-16, 16:32
Saudi Arabia is supposed to start taking delivery of 24 new AH-6i's this summer. These seem to be fairly basic aircraft, with none of the "bells and whistles" that the US Army would require.

Pilot1
05-03-16, 17:39
First flight was the year I was born so yeah. When I worked rotary wing support I would have sworn to you that my grandkids would be flying the damn things too. US Army is totally incompetent when it comes to procuring a scout helicopter. We can't integrate existing sensors onto existing helicopters without going way over cost and schedule...

A friend of mine has a Robinson R22, and was considering buying a Hughes OH-6 "Loach" that was former Army. He got a Robinson R-44 instead, but I always liked that platform for a light observation Rotorcraft. I have know ideas what the Army will do next. It will probably be something extremely expensive, with technology we don't need, or maybe even want.

HardToHandle
05-03-16, 21:51
The OH-58D is being phased out of US Army service soon, but it appears some have found a new home:

http://www.dsca.mil/sites/default/files/mas/tunisia_16-28.pdf

There is a serious war on along the southern border with Libya. The Arab Spring started in Tunisia and while the violence there abated fairly fast, Libya has descended into chaos. The shitbag Jihadists who attacked tourists on the the beaches and museums likely had strong connections into Libya. There is open source reporting indicated the UK SAS have been very busy in various interdiction missions, certainly aided by at least US air assets. The DSCA document cites threats from AQIM, ISIL and AAST - all of whom are fairly unpleasant folks.

My supposition is these air frames are going to be used to support the Southern border patrols, which is effectively rebuilding the circa 1940 Mareth Line built by France to keep the Italians out. Ironically the Germans used the Mareth Line defenses against the Brits and Anzacs in 1942. The Israelis invaded Tunis in the 80's for Habeus Grabus of a major PLO figure - force projection with submarines, 707s, etc. Tunisia has always been a place of interesting contrasts back to the days of Hannibal or the US Marines going after the Barbary pirates.

The weapon systems in the notice are long on small arms - 50 cal and mini guns - and 70mm rocket systems APKWS but short on Hellfires. That would leave me to believe the target set is likely persons on foot or soft skinned vehicles without speed/manueverability.

OH58D
05-04-16, 15:57
I flew the 58-Delta first in 1994. Prior to that it was the MH-6 and AH-6J. All fine aircraft.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 11:15
Special Love for the 58's. In Iraq they would provide us convoy security through injun country where IED's/Ambushes were almost 100% certainty.

When I came back I was assigned to a guard aviation company that 58A's. Old birds but fun as hell to fly around in. Going to AT was always better flying there than convoying for hours in a M998 in the middle of summer.