PDA

View Full Version : Modifications to SOL escape bivvy,

helluva
05-03-16, 19:00
it's very lw, breathable metallized fabric (probably tyvek, but I"m just guessing) I added velcro seams down the side and across the bottom, made it a foot longer, adding a drawstring at the neck. I added a removable hood (via Velcro) with a drawstring. I also had to make it about 6" wider, in the torso area, for comfort. Now it weighs 1.2 lbs but it's a lot warmer. I also carry a regular SOL escape bivy, also with velcro seams, so that I can use it to front a "wall" made of sticks, as a reflector on the far side of my fire, or to wrap around the "main" bivvy, to form dead air space. Stuffing debris between the bags, of course, adds quite a bit to this effect. If I could take only one item for survival, this "main bag" would be it. I can contrive other things, like fire, cutting edges, etc, but a highly portable, versatile shelter, that's priceless. Because of the velcro seams, it can be used as a poncho. If I have to get up during the night, I just open the seam, stick out my feet, walk to the appropriate area, open the side seam, do my biz, and go back to the hammock. :-)

City Rat
05-03-16, 21:01
Sounds great, very versatile. Got pics?