PDA

View Full Version : AR Build Loctite concerns

a_just_cause
05-04-16, 14:49
I have recently completed a AR build and while placing the flash suppressor a small amount of loctite spilled to the bore. It was immediately removed and there is just a small discoloration noted but unable to truly tell if the bore was affected. I was unable to snap a photo to post but wanted recommendations on how to proceed and evaluate whether this would impact the safety/function. Any friendly help appreciated. Thanks.

elephantrider
05-04-16, 14:55
Post your photo. What type of barrel? Why are you using Loctite around the muzzle area in the first place?

a_just_cause
05-04-16, 15:01
Thanks for the reply, it was a surefire brake and *correction it was not loctite but the 'rockset' which was included and part of the instructions. I will try to post a photo with exterior of barrel and barrel and brake but don't believe I'll get a good internal view. I'll post shortly.

HeruMew
05-04-16, 15:02
I have recently completed a AR build and while placing the flash suppressor a small amount of loctite spilled to the bore. It was immediately removed and there is just a small discoloration noted but unable to truly tell if the bore was affected. I was unable to snap a photo to post but wanted recommendations on how to proceed and evaluate whether this would impact the safety/function. Any friendly help appreciated. Thanks.

I certainly hope it doesn't impact safety or the function. But considering that, I believe, your mentioning loctite on the crown, that it could cause issues.

I don't know if it's as serious as potentially damaging to the rifle or yourself, but to have built a rifle with poor accuracy, boy would that hurt.

Just remember, you really shouldn't be using loctite or anything of the sort of a flash hider. Even suppressor mounts (with the rockset) are debatable.

Overall, prepare for the loctite to be cooked off, most commonly, and just use a crush washer, or shims, when it does. :)

ETA: With the rockset, it's hard to get off. I have heard of people soaking it mostly. Not sure if Rockset will damage a crown or not.

a_just_cause
05-04-16, 15:21
Post your photo. What type of barrel? Why are you using Loctite around the muzzle area in the first place?

Surefire brake attached using rockset, small amount entered the bore - unable to capture on a photo.

Clint
05-04-16, 16:15
Rocksett is supposedly loosed by soaking in water.

a_just_cause
05-04-16, 16:37
Removed the muzzle device here is the bore view. It is angled to show the 'patch' of rockset. At this angle it appears exagerated and at a direct bore angle does not appear nearly as 3-dimensional.

Steve-0-
05-04-16, 19:59
Rocksett takes 6-8 hours to fully cure when absent of air. id say boil some water, soak for 20min and scrub it with a bore brush.

a_just_cause
05-04-16, 21:32
Rocksett takes 6-8 hours to fully cure when absent of air. id say boil some water, soak for 20min and scrub it with a bore brush.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I will give this a shot tomorrow and hope to have a good update~

WS6
05-05-16, 13:30
A bore brush and clp should get it. Rocksett is not uber abrasion proof. Also, I doubt the bore was bone dry and a perfect bonding surface, either. Rocksett does poorly on greasy or dirty surfaces.

nml
05-05-16, 16:30
Hard to believe it wouldn't come off after a few shots ?

thetonk
05-05-16, 16:45

Happened to me once. This worked for me

a_just_cause
05-08-16, 14:32
Appreciate the replies. I placed barrel in water after it reached boiling temp for x20min. The majority of the rocksett was gone within a single pass of a bore brush, residual gone on second pass. I ordered some rocksett to refix the muzzle device and will use it sparingly~ Thanks for the replies!