PDA

View Full Version : Supressor Purchase Question

Texpatriate
05-05-16, 19:30
I've dealt with NFA branch on my SBR but I'm a newb when it comes to suppressors, so my apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. Here goes:

When I fill out my forms for the ATF and send in my $200, do I actually purchase (i.e. "pay for") my suppressor before I send in the forms, after I send in my forms, or after I get my approval back from ATF?

I've got money to pay the tax stamp right now, but I'm still saving for the actual suppressor, so I'm wondering if I can just go ahead and send in the paperwork now or if I have to wait until I have all the money together. Also, on the off chance that I got rejected, I'm wondering what would happen to my $$$ for the suppressor if I had to pay for it before getting approval. Thanks y'all.

arptsprt
05-05-16, 19:58
You'll have to buy the suppressor first then submit the paperwork and your $200. If rejected and you can't resolve the rejection, the shop you purchased the can from should refund you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
05-05-16, 21:21
buy pistol, send dealer your sot's info. dealer submits form 3 and once approved, sends silencer to your sot.
Once sot receives it, they (or you) submit form 4 with $200.
Wait for eternity.
Recieve stamped paperwork and obtain silencer.

If purchasing in state you buy and they, or you submit form 4.

I did trust and my lawyer is also my sot so he handled everything.

BigWaylon
05-05-16, 23:38
Some dealers will offer "financing". I know my local one will take the stamp money plus 1/3 of the suppressor cost up front, then 1/3 at 30 days and the final 1/3 at 60. Not sure if sales tax is due up front or is also split, as I've never used the service.

But, in most cases it's 100% up front.

Just to make sure you know, as it's a question I get all the time when I work somebody's gun show booth, but the tax stamp is for a particular suppressor, based on the serial number. You don't just "get a stamp" and then pick out a suppressor.

Texpatriate
05-06-16, 01:50
Thanks y'all, that helps me out a lot.

A5scott
05-06-16, 15:16
I think Capitol Armory, in TX offers financing, but it may add 10% to the total. If you can find a dealer in TX, assuming you are in TX, that does layaway. That way you could put $50 or $100 or whatever $$ down, and send in paperwork, then pay it off over the next 4 or 5 months.

scott

Ryno12
05-06-16, 15:25
I think Capitol Armory, in TX offers financing, but it may add 10% to the total. If you can find a dealer in TX, assuming you are in TX, that does layaway. That way you could put $50 or $100 or whatever $$ down, and send in paperwork, then pay it off over the next 4 or 5 months.

scott

I read on Capital's website that they'll finance for individuals out of state but they won't ship the can to your FFL until it's paid in full. Which means... the F4 won't get filed until it's PIF and shipped.

Great for residents of TX but blows for the rest of us. [emoji17]

A5scott
05-06-16, 15:32
Exactly, I think the OP is in Texas, so that may work out. I know one local dealer in PA that does layaway, with no fees. They also let you come in and use your NFA items in their range after its paid in full, and still waiting on a stanp.

Scott

BigWaylon
05-06-16, 15:52
I thought it was 8%, so I just checked...and it's showing 12%.

It would be cheaper to just charge it, make four payments, and pay four months of interest...

Kenneth
05-06-16, 16:10
I thought it was 8%, so I just checked...and it's showing 12%.

It would be cheaper to just charge it, make four payments, and pay four months of interest...

That's what I did. Why pay 12% when I can pay half of that and pay when I want.

Capitol armory was a breeze to buy from. I sent them my trust via email and the funds. They did everything else. They are also available to answer any questions.

BigWaylon
05-06-16, 17:32
Capitol armory was a breeze to buy from. I sent them my trust via email and the funds. They did everything else. They are also available to answer any questions.
Definitely good guys. I was able to stop by and chat one time when I was in town, and even went out to the range with Joshua and some of my Form 1 cans.