PDA

View Full Version : All parts being identical - build or buy?

Skyyr
05-05-16, 23:02
I'm working on obtaining my last two rifles for this year; specifically, modern SPR-type rifles. I've been eyeing BCM's Mk12 Mod 3x rifle and think it would fill the role nicely. BCM's pricing seems very reasonable, especially when you consider the cost of the components on their own. That's when I got to thinking...

I could build the rifle with identical/nearly-identical components for $100-150 less than the cost of the factory upper. It's a milspec upper, DD Lite rail, barrel, BCG, etc. - nothing too special. I'm not an armorer, but I know what I'm doing and I have all of the necessary tools to do it properly.

Of course, if I assemble it myself, I'm not the same as one of the pros at BCM and no matter how careful or skilled I am, it was not put together by a professional. Additionally, if I ever went to resell, it's not a "factory" upper and likely would not sell nearly as well or for as much - not that it matters in how the gun performs, but it's still interesting to consider.

Then again, $300 (the cost saved over building two uppers) is 1,000 rounds of ammo or a decent chunk towards an optic. $150 per rifle isn't that much, until you consider the savings across multiple rifles over time. This is what got me thinking of the approach to building vs. buying in general.

So with all that said, what's the opinion here of building vs. buying the same configuration with the same components? If money is considered an issue (funding, not selling), let's consider it a minor aspect - resell, however, is more important I think, as it helps maintain the value of what has been invested.

jhr1986
05-05-16, 23:37
I own rifles that I've built, and rifles that I've bought. BCM makes a rifle in the config I wanted so I bought an assembled upper and blem bcm lower, works great and it has a warranty. It's my "go to" rifle. Other configs aren't offered from the factory, so I built those and I'm happy with them. No issues after a good # of rounds, but no warranty if something goes south.

I'm more comfortable with a warrantied, built by a pro gun as my "go to", and that's why I bought BCM and Colt. Some fun guns I built my way and learned a lot by doing so, also a valuable experience.

wigbones
05-06-16, 00:08
I've always enjoyed the accomplishment of building my own rifles and saving money in the process. If resale value is important to you, I would recommend that you consider stripping down and parting out anything you build. It's a little more effort, but you'll get better resale value and interest that way.

Tigereye
05-06-16, 06:31
I usually suggest to folks with the "buy/build" question to buy the upper and build the lower. But, it sounds like you have the experience and tools to build an upper that will run. Some people like to build it because it "floats their boat" and there is satisfaction in building a personal rifle. It sounds like either option will work for you and will turn out fine. If the upper is the perfect setup, buy it but if you prefer a few different parts, build it. You may end up making those changes and spending more money.

Arik
05-06-16, 08:55
Buy! If I build it 50/50 on function

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

crusader377
05-06-16, 09:11
I would probably buy just because it is a factory BCM but resale value on builds is not as bad as people think provided that you sell at the right time and you build smart in terms of finding the best value for your dollar.

Ryno12
05-06-16, 09:17
For the most part, I've built all my own rifles. In my experience; however, it's been more expensive to build than to buy complete... especially when places like BCM include a BCG for only $69.
I typically only use BCM & Colt for the major components like receivers, barrels, BCGs, etc. I assume that's why it's more expensive to build vs buy. With other manufacturers, it may be the other way around.

Even if a rifle is available exactly the way I want it, I'll spend more just to build it myself. The factory warranty means nothing to me (and the individual parts have defect warranties anyway) and I also enjoy the experience of the build itself.

556BlackRifle
05-06-16, 09:36
For the most part, I've built all my own rifles. In my experience; however, it's been more expensive to build than to buy complete... especially when places like BCM include a BCG for only $69.
I typically only use BCM & Colt for the major components like receivers, barrels, BCGs, etc. I assume that's why it's more expensive to build vs buy. With other manufacturers, it may be the other way around.

Even if a rifle is available exactly the way I want it, I'll spend more just to build it myself. The factory warranty means nothing to me (and the individual parts have defect warranties anyway) and I also enjoy the experience of the build itself.

+1 This is pretty much exactly the same for me. The only exception being parts sourced from a few additional companies.

556BlackRifle
05-06-16, 09:40
Buy! If I build it 50/50 on function

Can you clarify that statement? I may not be awake yet but I took it to mean that if you built 6 rifles, three would function reliably and three would not. Am I reading that wrong?

Arik
05-06-16, 09:43
I'm saying that, for me, ....all parts being equal I'd rather buy the rifle then build my own. If I build my own, even with excellent quality parts, it's a 50/50 chance that I'd mess up something somewhere. It could also happen that I accidentally get it right.

556BlackRifle
05-06-16, 09:51
Arik; Okay thanks for the reply. And in your case I agree - BUY! :)

Qwikrex
05-06-16, 10:11
With the price of factory rifles nowadays, I'd say buy. You can get a colt 6720 for under 800 some places.

officerX
05-06-16, 11:17
If the built and bought versions would be exactly the same, go the cheapest route. As you said, that's money that could go toward an optic.

stwings
05-06-16, 11:49
If you've never assembled a rifle before I would suggest seeking the assistance of a competent builder. They are not that hard to assemble but there are a few tricks that will make for a solid build, IE lapping the upper receiver, progressive torquing, ETC. All parts being equal, assembling is a fun way to go.

SomeOtherGuy
05-06-16, 12:33
Since you're doing two anyway, I would buy one and build the other. Do most of your shooting with the one you built, have the bought one as your reserve, and it keeps its resale value better that way.

If you were only doing one, I would simply evaluate your own skills and likelihood of resale. I mostly build things from parts now, but there are some tasks that are difficult to do properly - pinning a gas block is one - and I try to buy parts with those most difficult tasks done. Obviously, assembling a stripped lower isn't too hard to do right, nor is torquing a barrel nut if you have the correct tools.

But I would buy factory-assembled anything I intended for collector value or likely future sale.

ColtSeavers
05-06-16, 12:41

I concur with this as well, except I source my parts from a wider variety of manufacturers and no one (but me) makes exactly the AR I want at any given time.

nova3930
05-06-16, 13:30
IMO, for only $150 difference, let them do the work. I have the tools and mechanical ability to assemble an upper, but unless I just can't find what I want from the factory, it's not worth the time or effort.

nedceifus
05-06-16, 14:16
Buy,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daniel87
05-06-16, 14:18
If you buy your parts from brownells, then your rifle build has a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Jim D
05-06-16, 18:22
It's not worth buying the tools to build one rifle, but if you already have the tools and the know-how, then building makes a lot of sense (for some).

Keep in mind, there are people out there who wear velcro shoes and voted for Obama twice... so not everyone out there is capable of assembling a box full of parts into a functional product.

On the other hand, if you have to ask then you might not be familiar enough with it.

Pappabear
05-06-16, 19:08
Its hard to build for the same price and quality. Do it if you love to tinker, if not buy.

seb5
05-06-16, 20:26
I own a few BCM complete uppers and a few blem lowers but my 2 rifles I built from scratch are my most used, and trusted rifles. If you don't have the confidence yet then buy 1 and build one. Take an armorer class. I learned something every time I took an armorer class. I trust my builds more than whoever is wrenching that day. Over the years I've found many different manufacturers rifles that were lacking something and/or missing essential QC. Just because it says Colt, DD, Noveske, or BCM onthe side doesn't mean that rifle was properly assembled, although that's usually the case. Now, as far as building, I can't build anymore with the quality I want and save money. It's more like I get exactly what I want for what I spend.

Headache
05-06-16, 21:06
I have built and I have bought. But I would say build. Simply because, as stated above, you learn more. Take your time, do it right.

I will say this though, my AR addiction got worse after I built. You discover more cool things you can do.