PDA

View Full Version : M&P sight change & I need a little help

Hootiewho
08-25-08, 17:38
OK, I have an M&P 9 that I am going to be taking to the Sept 6 & 7 South Hill Va Larry Vicker's class. I just got in a set of Warren Tactical 2 dot tritiums that I would like to get on the pistol before the class.

I am on the fence about ordering the sight tool from Grant and putting them on myself. I am better than average with mechanical stuff, so is there anything I should know before I attempt to install these myself or should I get someone else to do it.

That brings me to my next question, does anyone know who I could get this pistol to that could get the sights on and back to me before Sept 4th?

Anyone going to the class who has experience with this sight change who might could help me out before the class; I will pay, buy dinner, or buy beer/whiskey.:D (I'm not buying you a happy ending massage, sorry.)

Any help would be appreciated; and as far as local smiths, there aren't very many around I would trust to do it and those whom I would will take 6 months to get it back.

Thanks,
Hootie

John_Wayne777
08-25-08, 20:13
If you have the S&W tool that Grant sells, replacing the sights is easy. It's just a matter of pushing them on and off the right way. The hardest part is putting the new rear sight on, in my opinion. Getting that silly spring and plate to cooperate can try your patience a bit.

You *can* replace the sights without the sight tool....but you can also pull your own teeth with a rusty set of pliars. Having done the former, I recommend it about as confidently as I do the amateur dentistry. If you are serious about the M&P platform I believe the sight tool is a good investment. The S&W M&P sights are put on with a hydraulic press that puts them on with enough force that you can beat on them with a ball-peen hammer and they won't budge. I know. I've tried it.

As far as people in your area, if you don't know a gunsmith who has the right tool or a S&W armorer (like GotM4) you're probably SOL as far as having someone else doing it goes. Actually, GotM4 or one of the other S&W armorers/whizzes here might be your best bet if you ship just the slide to them. Of course, that's dependent upon the shipping companies.

One other option: You could always do it at the class. I intend to head down Friday afternoon and to be there hopefully early Friday evening. (I'm only about 3.5 hours away from South Hill.) I'll have my sight tool with me and you're more than welcome to use it to replace your sights.

ToddG
08-25-08, 20:21
If JW is willing to do it for you (or let you use his tool to do it yourself), I'd recommend that as the best choice because you'll be able to make any little tweaks necessary to get the best possible zero.

Hootiewho
08-26-08, 07:09
If you have the S&W tool that Grant sells, replacing the sights is easy. It's just a matter of pushing them on and off the right way. The hardest part is putting the new rear sight on, in my opinion. Getting that silly spring and plate to cooperate can try your patience a bit.

You *can* replace the sights without the sight tool....but you can also pull your own teeth with a rusty set of pliars. Having done the former, I recommend it about as confidently as I do the amateur dentistry. If you are serious about the M&P platform I believe the sight tool is a good investment. The S&W M&P sights are put on with a hydraulic press that puts them on with enough force that you can beat on them with a ball-peen hammer and they won't budge. I know. I've tried it.

As far as people in your area, if you don't know a gunsmith who has the right tool or a S&W armorer (like GotM4) you're probably SOL as far as having someone else doing it goes. Actually, GotM4 or one of the other S&W armorers/whizzes here might be your best bet if you ship just the slide to them. Of course, that's dependent upon the shipping companies.

One other option: You could always do it at the class. I intend to head down Friday afternoon and to be there hopefully early Friday evening. (I'm only about 3.5 hours away from South Hill.) I'll have my sight tool with me and you're more than welcome to use it to replace your sights.

I really appreciate that. Between me, my fiance, and my father we have about 6 M&P's. I may break down and buy the sight tool. If I don't, I will definitely take you up on your offer & I look forward to metting you at the class.

Robb Jensen
08-26-08, 07:36
FYI. With most Warren Tactical rear sights (early ones and late ones) I've had to remove metal from the sight, sometimes A LOT of metal. The fronts go right on with the tool, rarely do I have to remove metal from the front sight. Also the Trijicon night sights go right on with the sight tool without having to remove metal from the front or rear sight.

If the rear isn't going on pretty easily with the tool DON'T FORCE IT! (do not use any cheater part with the tool only hand pressure), you can still break the slide. Either remove metal from the rear sight OR put the slide in and padded vise and drive the rear sight on with a brass drift punch (clamp the slide in the vise with the rubber padded jaws on the top and bottom of the slide as to not bend the slide).

Hootiewho
08-26-08, 16:19
FYI. With most Warren Tactical rear sights (early ones and late ones) I've had to remove metal from the sight, sometimes A LOT of metal. The fronts go right on with the tool, rarely do I have to remove metal from the front sight. Also the Trijicon night sights go right on with the sight tool without having to remove metal from the front or rear sight.

If the rear isn't going on pretty easily with the tool DON'T FORCE IT! (do not use any cheater part with the tool only hand pressure), you can still break the slide. Either remove metal from the rear sight OR put the slide in and padded vise and drive the rear sight on with a brass drift punch (clamp the slide in the vise with the rubber padded jaws on the top and bottom of the slide as to not bend the slide).

Where did you have to remove metal from, the bottom of the dovetail or the sides? Just so I know where to look.