PDA

View Full Version : AXTS MI-T556 thoughts

tmanker
05-06-16, 22:47
I've been reading what I can on this weapon. Forget the cost, what is the scoop on this thing? Thoughts from those that have time behind it would be appreciated. For those that are not familiar, this is what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFcma-aJBHE

I'm considering this complete rifle or a Rainier Ultramatch upper. Thank you.

bzdog
05-06-16, 23:20
You can Google up reviews on the lower, search AX556.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stickman
05-07-16, 01:32
I've been reading what I can on this weapon. Forget the cost, what is the scoop on this thing? Thoughts from those that have time behind it would be appreciated.

I had one for a little while, it was well put together, and shot nice.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/86bf9fc55f261271db5d786dbfe0c9c8/tumblr_o1camdwU9P1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

http://67.media.tumblr.com/a76b0e93115ab1d5ecfd9dc2b2207025/tumblr_o14tdqtf9c1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

GH41
05-07-16, 07:58
If the Raptor and Talon are examples of what they can do the rifle should be GTG. I would almost kill for one of their lower receivers! My problem with a 3K rifle is.. For 3K I can build exactly what I want. If their rifle is exactly what you want go for it.

tmanker
05-07-16, 08:01
You can Google up reviews on the lower, search AX556.

-john

Thanks john. I have read several reviews on the lower, but there seems to be very few reviews on the upper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tmanker
05-07-16, 08:03
I had one for a little while, it was well put together, and shot nice.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/86bf9fc55f261271db5d786dbfe0c9c8/tumblr_o1camdwU9P1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

http://67.media.tumblr.com/a76b0e93115ab1d5ecfd9dc2b2207025/tumblr_o14tdqtf9c1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg
Stick, that thing is sick! Which comp/suppressor would you recommend for this weapon?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

w3453l
05-07-16, 15:26
I had three of their stripped lowers that I bought during the SH panic. One went to a family member, and the others were sold.

I have no experience with the factory rifle, but the stripped lowers were very high quality. I think AXTS made a mistake in the long run by cutting sales of the stripped lowers, and deciding to sell just complete rifles.

The lowers really stood out in a very saturated AR market where it's tough for companies to stay relevant or stand out. AXTS had it with their stripped lower.

I'm not sure if the upper has anything unique about it that sets it apart from all of the other manufactures out there, but the complete rifle at about $3k is going to be a tough sell to most people regardless of their budget. Especially with all the other options out there that cost a bit less, yet still bring something to the table that sets them apart from the competition; think KAC, HK, etc..

I think AXTS should have went through with their 308 lowers, and maybe even made complete 308's too. There's good options in 308, but more are welcome.

I wish them well, and I know this didn't say anything about their complete guns. Though I think it explains why there isn't many people out there with them.

Horned Toad
05-07-16, 16:13
I'm not sure if the upper has anything unique about it that sets it apart from all of the other manufactures out there, but the complete rifle at about $3k is going to be a tough sell to most people regardless of their budget. Especially with all the other options out there that cost a bit less, yet still bring something to the table that sets them apart from the competition; think KAC, HK, etc..

The mag release will lock the bolt back, a KAC won't .

Horned Toad
05-07-16, 16:16
I've been reading what I can on this weapon. Forget the cost, what is the scoop on this thing? Thoughts from those that have time behind it would be appreciated. For those that are not familiar, this is what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFcma-aJBHE

I'm considering this complete rifle or a Rainier Ultramatch upper. Thank you.

Have one in the safe, haven't shot it yet. Questions or pics of a part let me know.

Leonidas24
05-07-16, 17:31
One of the designers of this rifle once told me he had 40-50 thousand rounds through the barrel and it was still holding sub-MOA. I'm hoping it was a slip of the tongue and he meant 4-5 thousand, or he really did think I was that stupid. For the time that my shop was a dealer for these guns we sold exactly one of these rifles. $3,000 for an AR is very boutique, regardless of how well put together they are.

w3453l
05-07-16, 19:24
The mag release will lock the bolt back, a KAC won't .

Isn't that a feature of the lower? I was referring to unique features of the upper itself. If however it's the AXTS upper + lower that give the ability to lock the bolt back with mag release then I stand corrected.

prdubi
05-07-16, 19:44
The rifle is put together very well using only the best.
They are good people.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

bzdog
05-07-16, 20:43
Isn't that a feature of the lower? I was referring to unique features of the upper itself. If however it's the AXTS upper + lower that give the ability to lock the bolt back with mag release then I stand corrected.

Yes, it's a feature of the lower.

-john

tmanker
05-07-16, 21:16
The lower isn't that big of a deal to me (maybe I don't know what I'm missing). As far as the upper goes, is the Shilen blank that much better than a douglas barrel? (I'm pretty happy with my HCS built mod Holland) For a recce-type rifle, can I build an upper with Shilen blank for a lot less money? Thanks guys.

bzdog
05-07-16, 21:50
My take is the lower is the star component here and they built a nice rifle around it.

-john

Horned Toad
05-07-16, 22:31

You are correct it is the lower only with that feature

vicious_cb
05-07-16, 23:09
Not sure I would want a duel use bolt catch and magazine release? What if I wanted to leave the magazine in and lock the bolt back? Why not make a separate bolt catch/release on the right side of the receiver?

GH41
05-08-16, 06:58
"What if I wanted to leave the magazine in and lock the bolt back?"

Not sure why you would but the conventional bolt stop/release on the red side works as usual.

vicious_cb
05-08-16, 10:35
"What if I wanted to leave the magazine in and lock the bolt back?"

Not sure why you would but the conventional bolt stop/release on the red side works as usual.

Not sure how the internal mechanics work but if they were linked wouldnt one activate the other?

Horned Toad
05-08-16, 10:52
Not sure how the internal mechanics work but if they were linked wouldnt one activate the other?

Just a guess since I am not going to pull this one apart. The mag release has to have a ramp that pushes the bolt catch up. If you don't manipulate the mag realize it will have no effect on the left side bolt catch.

I running through my uses for an AR, I am curious. What would be the situation where you need to lock the bolt back with the mag in?

bfoosh006
05-08-16, 11:21
Deleted

tb417
05-08-16, 12:08
There is a hole drilled in the frame with a pin in it. When the mag release is pushed it presses the pin into the paddle of the bolt release.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GH41
05-08-16, 14:57

Checkmate! See for yourself>>>>> https://axtsweapons.com/instructions/A-DAC-F.pdf

Bolt_Overide
05-08-16, 23:26
I had but one thought on it, overpriced.

tmanker
05-09-16, 20:14
Bolt, I appreciate your thoughts. I'm looking to build the lightest, most accurate (without sacrificing decent barrel life or reliability) recce-type rifle. I've been happy with keymod rails. I'm sure there are lighter rails though. As far as barrels, does Krieger make a 16" barrel that would fit the bill? If not, which manufacturer should I be looking at? Or should I just buy a rainier ultra match upper? Thanks.

Stickman
05-10-16, 00:46
Bolt, I appreciate your thoughts. I'm looking to build the lightest, most accurate (without sacrificing decent barrel life or reliability) recce-type rifle. I've been happy with keymod rails. I'm sure there are lighter rails though. As far as barrels, does Krieger make a 16" barrel that would fit the bill? If not, which manufacturer should I be looking at? Or should I just buy a rainier ultra match upper? Thanks.

If weight is an issue, the AXTS is heavy. Just something to think about.

Leonidas24
05-10-16, 03:21
If price isn't an issue why aren't you looking at Noveske? I've only used one of their barrels, a 12.5" 556 stainless steel, but it was sub-MOA for its life with good ammo and their complete guns are light weight.

djegators
05-10-16, 06:53

Interesting...I was under the impression it was a rather lightweight build....somewhere around 7 lbs if I recall.

I guess a similar BAD rifle would weigh less?

caporider
05-10-16, 08:36
When they stopped selling bare lowers alone.... I was no longer interested.

I also wanted the features of the lower, but wanted to build it my way.

I could not have been the only one.

I ended up getting SanTan lowers.

If you want just a lower the ADM UIC does ambi better than the AXTS anyway: https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/932/

bzdog
05-10-16, 09:33
Interesting...I was under the impression it was a rather lightweight build....somewhere around 7 lbs if I recall.

I guess a similar BAD rifle would weigh less?

The lower doesn't attempt to be light weight. You can offset that with other components that lighter weight of course.

-john

TheNegativeOne
05-10-16, 10:25
Looks like an AR15.

556BlackRifle
05-10-16, 10:35
They are a great company. I don't own one of their rifles nor have I ever shot one, but if their other products are any indication, I'd say this rifle should be a winner.

prdubi
05-10-16, 11:04
There are several high profile trainers that used and abused it and took it long range with no issues.
Buck Doyle is one of them and he praises it to highly.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

w3453l
05-10-16, 17:12
If you want just a lower the ADM UIC does ambi better than the AXTS anyway: https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/932/

What does it do better? Not doubting you, but genuinely curious. This is the first I've heard of ADM, and they look a lot like the AXTS lowers. I read the description, but didn't really see anything that stood out as better than the AXTS.

caporider
05-10-16, 19:21
What does it do better? Not doubting you, but genuinely curious. This is the first I've heard of ADM, and they look a lot like the AXTS lowers. I read the description, but didn't really see anything that stood out as better than the AXTS.

The UIC decouples the mag release and the right side bolt catch/release (and it is both a catch and a release - really slick). ADM got the ambi controls right on the UIC.

I believe a new generation of lowers is coming out that does not have the PMAG-like cuts on the mag well.

Horned Toad
05-10-16, 21:43

mine is 7 lbs 12 oz with 16" barrel and BUIS, nothing else

chadil1ac
05-11-16, 08:13
At shot show 2014 I went over to their booth to get a good look at their lowers and one of the guys there, no joke, said they can get 1/2 MOA with an Aimpoint. I confirmed by repeating and he said yes. Not a slip of the tongue. I'll probably choose to look elsewhere as I'm not a fan of BS advertising. Not to mention the cost could land me a full Noveske with a nice optic on it.