PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Lubrication Opinions

Hootiewho
08-25-08, 17:40
What do you guys use for lubrication on your sidearms?

Any difference for steel frame, aluminum, or polymer?

Thanks,
Hootie

ToddG
08-25-08, 17:44
Militec-1 ...

Jay Cunningham
08-25-08, 17:59
WeaponShield.

eta: I pretty much only shoot Glocks, though I do have an M&P45. I tend to use more lubricant than many typically advocate - since LAV suggested to actually lube the damn gun, I do.

RD62
08-25-08, 18:10
I have and occasionally still use Militec-1, but now personally prefer the non-toxic Slip200 EWL and WeaponShield.

-RD62

RogerinTPA
08-25-08, 18:28
Militec-1 and Slip EWL for high round (500+) events.

AwaySooner
08-25-08, 19:29
I use Weaponshield myself. But I only own HK handguns, so it doesn't matter if I lube it or not. :D

yrac
08-25-08, 20:12
Hootiewho -

Are you referring to lube for range sessions and training classes, or for carry? For classes or high volume range sessions, I prefer a relatively light lube that I can apply quickly and easily several times throughout the day. Several of the lubes already mentioned in this thread fit that bill nicely. For carry, I prefer to use a grease that stays put and doesn't tend to run off the gun in short order. For the last few years, I've been using Lubriplate grease for carry. It's very affordable and available from Brownells. You might want to check out the "Weapon Lubrication" Tactical Tip on the Vickers Tactical site. It's very informative reading.

Weapon Lubrication (http://www.vickerstactical.com/Tips/weaponlubrication.htm)

signal4l
08-25-08, 21:30
This is the best stuff I have ever used:

http://www.eguns.com/sPearCat/1-4.woa/1/wa/ItemPage?i=MPCLP&l=en-ZZ&wosid=tTPs8dK9tHM3nWA8dtWFLg&g=Gun+Lubricants

Non Toxic, also

PPGMD
08-25-08, 22:07
Militec 1 on most of my guns except my USPSA gun, and my AR which I run grease on those.

Littlelebowski
08-26-08, 07:14
WeaponsShield for my handguns.

MX5
08-26-08, 07:49
Everybody has their favorite brand of snake oil. Many well known & lesser known luminaries in weapon craft state very clearly that they "...use whatever is free...". Most important is that you lube them. The appropriate heading on Larry Vickers' website (Vickers' Tactical) is most informative.

I use Mobil 1, Miltec, Clenzoil & Slip 2000. This is what's on my bench & frankly I don't see much difference in functioning.

Detmongo
08-26-08, 08:00
militec 1

NCPatrolAR
08-26-08, 08:40
Militec for classes and Yam's 10-8 for carry.

G34Shooter
08-26-08, 11:31
I've tried almost all of them and I'm sticking with Weaponshield and Slide Glide if I need grease...

ToddG
08-26-08, 12:02
As some of the replies have explained (and LAV describes in detail at the linked article), different people have different needs.

I shoot my guns a lot and clean them rarely. For that situation, I've found Militec to be best for me. Greases tend to accumulate shot residue and eventually turn into more of a lapping compound than a lube. The gun will still run but you're accelerating wear. The only two stoppages I've experienced in almost 35,000 rounds with my M&P torture test gun were due to grease picking up debris and preventing the sear from resetting properly.

On the other hand, the Militec is thin enough that it won't trap gunk. I've gone thousands of rounds of high-volume fire between applications and never had any trouble.

My guns also aren't getting buried in sand, frozen in an ice box, etc.

DarrinD
08-26-08, 18:06
I use MPro-7 and have never seen anything clean as well in my experience. It's not officially a "lube" but I don't find the need for it with MPro-7, although I will add just a little Miltec to the spots that my guns are "supposed" to require lube if I ever notice any reason to do so. For now, MPro-7 does it all.

Hootiewho
08-26-08, 18:54
I have been playing around with some dry graphic film lubricate that comes in an aerosol can on my rimfire pistol (P22) and rimfire suppressor mount. It seems to work pretty well and is very hard to remove by hand. I got it from a plant that I do some contract work at. The can says it is good continously to 850 deg F and intermittently to 1000 deg F without failure. It works wonders on old "stiff" locks. This same type of lube is used in some of the plants I do work at on steel & aluminum forge presses. It is sprayed on the die to ensure the part does not stick after the press cycles. It is actually used in the forging of AR15 receivers.

Have any of you guys tried anything similar? Can anyone think of any negative issues associated with this type of lube?

To me, it seems like it would be a very good option especially on polymer pistols such as the M&P.

Any thoughts?

DarkX
08-26-08, 19:08
Slip 2000EWL on everything...Glocks, Berettas, Tauri, Ruger, Remington and my M4 variants. It works.

Sproggy
08-26-08, 19:14
Militec and Gun butter

mark5pt56
08-26-08, 19:39
I've used many different types on many different platforms. I've never had issues related to either.

Off the to of my head

Mobil 1
Pennzoil-various
ATF
All ran various 59/69 series S&W's for over 1000 rounds without cleaning or malfunctions

All below have run Smith's, Glocks, Sigs, Beretta's, HK's equally.

Hoppe's
Outers
Miltec -oil and grease
Breakfree
FP10
Shooters Choice grease
Hoppes Elite
Kleenbore
Slip 2000

My personal opinion is that anything will run provided you clean the weapon right and operate it correctly.

mark5pt56
08-26-08, 19:42
Everybody has their favorite brand of snake oil. Many well known & lesser known luminaries in weapon craft state very clearly that they "...use whatever is free...". Most important is that you lube them. The appropriate heading on Larry Vickers' website (Vickers' Tactical) is most informative.

I use Mobil 1, Miltec, Clenzoil & Slip 2000. This is what's on my bench & frankly I don't see much difference in functioning.

I think the only thing I've paid for is the Shooters choice FP10, only because I like it and I've never seen free samples anywhere!

Paul45
08-27-08, 08:28
I probably have at least one container of everything that lubercates. Over the years, I have tried them all. For personal/ civilian use where you clean your weapons at 500 rounds or less and don't roll in the sand or swim in salt water, I found that Mobil 1 left over from my oil changes works great. I also like REM OIL for a light spray. Military/ combat situations are long in my past - not planning on being on the front lines.

Sidewinder6
08-27-08, 12:28
I used to use TriFlow years ago which was a teflon impregnated lite lube. It always kept things like shotguns stored in vehicles wet in the right places and running smooth.

Then I tried the TW25C lube that was nice but caused build up in the action.

I have Slip2000 that I use for most of my AR weapons in liberal amounts but recently tried something new for my match gun called Gun Butter.

Comes in a pencil container with a syringe and lets you put small drops exactly where you want them and so far, stays put. No excess build up. Some of you may have seen this and have other comments but I find this easier to use for handguns than the dispensers with Slip2K.

chadbag
08-27-08, 12:38
I use MPro-7 and have never seen anything clean as well in my experience. It's not officially a "lube" but I don't find the need for it with MPro-7, although I will add just a little Miltec to the spots that my guns are "supposed" to require lube if I ever notice any reason to do so. For now, MPro-7 does it all.

By which I assume you mean M-Pro 7 CLP. The M-Pro 7 cleaner only product will definitely get rid of any lube on the gun :)

I use the M-Pro 7 CLP myself as just a lube and have had excellent results.

RWK
08-27-08, 12:48
What do you guys use for lubrication on your sidearms?

Slip2000 -- I've been using it for about a year now. I've used it during two high round-count training programs and it kept my Glock, M&P and M4 running like sewing machines. I also like that it's not as foul as most of the other products out there.

MarshallDodge
08-27-08, 23:26
I was using Wilson Ultima Lube until I tried Weapon Shield.

A gun lubed with Weapon Shield seems to stay cleaner.

sff70
08-27-08, 23:46
Mobil 1
TW25B
Mobil Synthetic grease

Or, whatever I can get for free.

DarrinD
08-28-08, 03:10
By which I assume you mean M-Pro 7 CLP. The M-Pro 7 cleaner only product will definitely get rid of any lube on the gun :)

I use the M-Pro 7 CLP myself as just a lube and have had excellent results.

Yes, I use both and have never used anything that equals M-Pro 7's products, as you pointed out: the CLP and the cleaner.

williejc
08-28-08, 08:34
Hoppe's oil
Breakfree
Mobil 1
Rig Gun Grease
3 in 1
Various 20 wt electric motor oils

My preference: Hoppe's or Mobil 1.

I clean frequently and oil sparingly and almost never have any shooting sessions over 200 rds. Actually, I could do well with most lubes since I avoid starting a new session with an uncleaned gun.

If you ever urgently need lube--like at the range or in the field--and don't have it, you have a ready source in your car or truck's dipstick.

williejc

.357sigger
08-31-08, 01:10
Hello to all...this is my first post over here...some of you guys may know/recognize me from silencer talk...after hanging out over there for a year and a half I decided to spread my wings and meet some more great folks! Anyways, does anyone have some good links so I could purchase some of these products?

Blankwaffe
08-31-08, 01:30
Best and longest lasting pistol lube I have found to date is the Mil-comm TW-25B.Perfect for heavy bearing surfaces.For the FCG,pins and tight spots the MC-2500 oil works great.
If thats not available I use Weapon Shield,Break Free CLP or LP.Basically any of those will work just fine.The edge goes to the Mil-comm as it tends to stay put better and longer than any of the others,and as a result keeps fouling in suspension which aids in cleaning.
I personally have had no issues with fouling or debris attachments while using TW25B in over eight years of use..If you do then you applied too much.
I highly recommend it to anyone.
Drop them an email and they will send you a few samples to try yourself.
http://www.mil-comm.com/

.357sigger
08-31-08, 03:13
Cool...I just ordered a little bit of it to try:D