PDA

View Full Version : 5/4- Dave Brubeck Day

MistWolf
05-07-16, 01:39
May 5 is past, but when I saw the post my cousin made on Face Book (No, I don't do Face Book, I jusst happened to be passing by) proclaiming "5/4 is Dave Brubeck Day", I thought "How Brilliant!!" When Dave Brubeck started composing in 5/4 time instead of 4/4, it changed the world of jazz forever. Thus, 5/4 is Dave Brubeck Day

Let's Take Five and celebrate, even if we are a couple of days late- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLMFNC2Awo

If you haven't heard of David Brubeck and the music he and his crew made, take five to look it up. Take five and post links to your favorite Dave Brubeck pieces, or other good jazz, in this thread. Take time to share with kids who've never heard of him before

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-07-16, 01:50
I can whistle, poorly. 5/4 just makes me think of Fifth Third Bank in Cincy. Care to explain the importance?

It is kind of Freaky. On Wednesday, out of nowhere, I put on the OnDemand audio channel for Jazz for dinner with the family.... First time I have ever done that outside of X-Mas songs during the holidays.

Thoughts on the movie "Whiplash", I enjoyed the music.

26 Inf
05-07-16, 10:07
May 5 is past, but when I saw the post my cousin made on Face Book (No, I don't do Face Book, I jusst happened to be passing by) proclaiming "5/4 is Dave Brubeck Day", I thought "How Brilliant!!" When Dave Brubeck started composing in 5/4 time instead of 4/4, it changed the world of jazz forever. Thus, 5/4 is Dave Brubeck Day

Let's Take Five and celebrate, even if we are a couple of days late- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLMFNC2Awo

If you haven't heard of David Brubeck and the music he and his crew made, take five to look it up. Take five and post links to your favorite Dave Brubeck pieces, or other good jazz, in this thread. Take time to share with kids who've never heard of him before

Great song, the drummer, Joe Morello and saxophonist Paul Desmond, were among the best of all time. Nice mellow song.

tb-av
05-07-16, 11:30
I can whistle, poorly. 5/4 just makes me think of Fifth Third Bank in Cincy. Care to explain the importance?

A big majority of the music you hear is in 4/4 meter. 4 beats to the measure for a quarter note getting a beat. 4 beats = 1 whole note or one measure of music.

5/4 is 5 quarter notes the measure. Listen to that song and count 12345 fast. You will hear it line up.

The 4th of July will be "Money" day. 7/4 1 2&3 4 5 6 7 -- listen to the intro to Pink Floyd - Money.

chuckman
05-09-16, 07:45
I posted that on 5/4 as well, and so few people understood the meaning it depressed me. Dave Brubeck was phenomenal, and his album "Take Five" is a jazz top 5 album.

austinN4
05-09-16, 08:27
I remember listening to Take 5 over and over on a jukebox in a Frisch's Big Boy when I was in high school.
I will credit it for my lifelong love of jazz.