PDA

View Full Version : BCM charging handle broke

GFX_9
05-07-16, 10:47
I was doing dry fire practice, suddenly i had no resistance and the handle pulled straight out of the gun. Super weird feeling and my brain took a few seconds to realize what happened. Not a knock on bcm, but rather just another reality check that anything/everything can break. I've already emailed bcm regarding it as an anecdote in case others happen to pop up. Looking at the handle, there are no stress marks and it appears to have simply separated into 2 pieces. Anyone else ever break a charging handle?

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/M3likeguns/557A9AA5-3749-4C40-A1A0-0B4B53D7F216_zpsbg4afztv.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/M3likeguns/media/557A9AA5-3749-4C40-A1A0-0B4B53D7F216_zpsbg4afztv.jpg.html)

Hmac
05-07-16, 10:54
Not me, a couple of BCMs and a Noveske (all are VLTOR, of course). I did have a Raptor break once, but not at the shaft.

As you say, anything can break, and that's the component of an AR15 that's going to get the most off-axis abuse.

GFX_9
05-07-16, 11:05
Where did the raptor break? They have some hearty pins if i remember correctly. Id be suprised if the latches snapped off.

Ernst
05-07-16, 11:13
A broken charging handle is rare, but not unheard of, particularly the ones made of aluminum (as most are). I prefer to use a stainless steel handle, for this very reason, on the off chance that an aluminum might break. Once the CH is broken you are pretty much screwed. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kenneth
05-07-16, 11:22
Dang. I have never seen that break before.

I have cycled my raptor ALOT and couldn't imagine it breaking like that. Where did the raptor break for you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFX_9
05-07-16, 11:26
The 2 halves combined

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/M3likeguns/F8E9A352-878F-4F71-A8AB-37F85B37B837_zps8idyzolk.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/M3likeguns/media/F8E9A352-878F-4F71-A8AB-37F85B37B837_zps8idyzolk.jpg.html)

Uprange41
05-07-16, 11:28
About how many cycles would you guess you've done (if it's new enough for any meaningful estimate to be given)?

GFX_9
05-07-16, 11:32
I have no earthly idea how many times ive cycled it. Ive owned other rifles in the past which have endured more use than this one, and those had BCM handles as well. Im chopping it up to a fluke, however since i have no spares at the current moment, my AR is down. The upper is a complete BCM.

Uprange41
05-07-16, 11:49
I have no earthly idea how many times ive cycled it. Ive owned other rifles in the past which have endured more use than this one, and those had BCM handles as well. Im chopping it up to a fluke, however since i have no spares at the current moment, my AR is down. The upper is a complete BCM.

Chalking. You're chalking it up as a fluke ;)

But yeah. I couldn't guess at any of mine either, I was just curious as to whether this was a fresh out of the box failure, or if it was after a lot of use. The handled looks fairly clean, so I figured I'd ask. I'm sure BCM will offer to replace it for you either way, and I wouldn't have reservations using it. FWIW, I've got thousands of cycles through a couple of my BCM charging handles, all one-handed, and they've been fine.

Outlander Systems
05-07-16, 12:08
That's stunningly awful...and NOT where I would have expected a problem.

sevenhelmet
05-07-16, 12:16

I see what you did there! :cool:

Surprising failure, and the corners don't look that worn where they would rub against the inside of the upper. I think at least one of mine is more worn than that.

GFX_9
05-07-16, 12:21
Introducing the Mod Redneck Large Ambi

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/M3likeguns/EE871718-7B9C-4DAE-8D91-72C29D49E364_zpsesfr9hsf.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/M3likeguns/media/EE871718-7B9C-4DAE-8D91-72C29D49E364_zpsesfr9hsf.jpg.html)

P2000
05-07-16, 12:23
It is hard to tell in the picture, but does the charging handle have a bend to it? It seems to bend a little to the right.

I wonder if repeated, aggressive use of the CH slowly bent it and then it finally gave way. Maybe one could use a straight edge to check their CH for straightness as a PM check, assuming it would bend long before breaking.

JC5188
05-07-16, 12:47
Interesting. I've never broken one like that, but I've had a G.I. charging handle get bound in the upper because the roll pin backed out.

I'd be shocked if they didn't send you another one F.O.C.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160507/d202d0c831c21a54fbab90227dc3c6b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFX_9
05-07-16, 12:50
I contacted them, however if they dont i wouldnt hold it against them. Stuff breaks. Im just glad it was now instead of during a class or during a home invasion lol.

titsonritz
05-07-16, 13:04
Where did the raptor break? They have some hearty pins if i remember correctly. Id be suprised if the latches snapped off.

Dang. I have never seen that break before.

I have cycled my raptor ALOT and couldn't imagine it breaking like that. Where did the raptor break for you guys?

I'd like to know that too, all my CH are Raptors.

wingspar
05-07-16, 13:08
Glad I didn’t see this before I ordered mine the other day. I might not have ordered it, but these come so highly recommended in this forum. Was this the Mod 4?

I’ll be keeping my stock charging handle in the case with the gun.

GFX_9
05-07-16, 13:13
Yep, mod 4 medium latch

wingspar
05-07-16, 13:15
Yep, mod 4 medium latch

Thanks. :)

Dionysusigma
05-07-16, 13:54
That's why it's a good idea to hold on to old/OEM parts - if this happened to me, a different CH would be in there and ready to go in less than a minute, and a new BCM ordered by the end of the day with no hard feelings.

Tools break, even high quality ones, and especially when they're used heavily.

Uprange41
05-07-16, 13:56
I'd love to know how it actually works with a broken charging handle. If the gas key didn't catch anywhere, I imagine it would run fine until you had an unrelated malfunction that you couldn't clear.

GFX_9
05-07-16, 13:57
Maybe next time at the range ill bring this broken handle to put in and see what happens. For science!

Uprange41
05-07-16, 14:39
Maybe next time at the range ill bring this broken handle to put in and see what happens. For science!

Don't risk damaging your gas key or anything else for some guy on a forum lol.

GFX_9
05-07-16, 14:43
Lol. With my luck lately, my upper would probably split in half lol

JasonB1
05-07-16, 17:14
Glad I didn’t see this before I ordered mine the other day. I might not have ordered it, but these come so highly recommended in this forum. Was this the Mod 4?

You will like it. I debated an extended CH V for awhile then picked one up at a gun show and started swapping out my others as soon as I tried it. Very handy especially when combined with a Magpul BAD lever, near perfect ergonomics.

sevenhelmet
05-07-16, 17:18
A little JB weld, and she'll patch right up! ;)

I keep my stock CH around for EXACTLY this reason- you just never know.

Norman
05-07-16, 22:32
I broke the charging handle on my BCM upper. Not a Gunfighter, just a regular M4 style. It broke horizontally across the hole at the front. The upper had about 3,000 rounds through it.

Ernst
05-07-16, 22:36
Precisely why I swapped out my aluminum CHs for steel charging handles.

lahunter57
05-07-16, 23:04
Precisely why I swapped out my aluminum CHs for steel charging handles.

Just curious, what charging handle are you using?

Ernst
05-07-16, 23:18
Power Custom steel charging handle. Also comes with extended latch, making it very easy to operate it with one hand, you just use the palm of your left hand (I'm a righty) to charge it or check the condition of the AR when you go dry.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-charging-handles/ar15-steel-charging-handle-sku713000153-55108-111608.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_713000153_2.jpg

556BlackRifle
05-07-16, 23:39

No worries Gary. The BCM Mod 4 is squared away. I'm pretty sure this failure is the exception rather than the rule.

GFX_9
05-07-16, 23:46
No worries Gary. The BCM Mod 4 is squared away. I'm pretty sure this failure is the exception rather than the rule.

Absolutely. This thread is not meant to be a knock on BCM whatsoever. Just a friendly reminder that spare parts are a good thing to have, and weird things can break in strange ways.

VIP3R 237
05-07-16, 23:51
I had a similar break with a LWRCi charging handle, but it was only 200-ish rounds in.

556BlackRifle
05-07-16, 23:57
Absolutely. This thread is not meant to be a knock on BCM whatsoever. Just a friendly reminder that spare parts are a good thing to have, and weird things can break in strange ways.

Yep. Two is one and one is none. Good to have a few backup parts set aside just incase.

Leuthas
05-08-16, 00:05
Think about that for a moment. The implications of a complete CH failure under pressure.

Remember the video of the Brit with an AK failure under fire? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3uo8YMlcE&feature=youtu.be) Imagine the same situation, discovering you need a new CH.

GFX_9
05-08-16, 00:45
Yep. Two is one and one is none. Good to have a few backup parts set aside just incase.

I have spare parts for the guts of the gun, however no spare charging handle lol.

Stickman
05-08-16, 01:02
Power Custom steel charging handle. Also comes with extended latch, making it very easy to operate it with one hand, you just use the palm of your left hand (I'm a righty) to charge it or check the condition of the AR when you go dry.

One handing/ palming / slapping/ finger snagging the charging handle it what generates the torque/ leverage which creates the stresses on the CH and upper. The CH is what we see fail, which is what we would want to see happen as opposed to a failure of the upper receiver. Using a steel CH puts the wear on the other side. It doesn't change the forces involved.

The other thing to remember is that not everyone uses the CH the same way. As already pointed out, parts break, especially thin aluminum ones. Back when the charging handle was grabbed with equal support on each side, a broken CH would be freakish. Now, not so much.

Brahmzy
05-08-16, 07:40
If you were to fully extend the charge handle, lock the bolt open, leave the CH loose and extended, and put torsional pressure or side pressure on the handle it would break exactly as pictured.
Or if the rifle got dropped in such a perfect way with the CH extended, this could happen.

SO WHICH WAS IT OP???

DBCDave
05-08-16, 07:42
So if it was another brand fanboys would be like you should have bought a BCM instead of that one but when a BCM broke it was well every thing fails . Absolutly should not have broke no excuses.

jackblack73
05-08-16, 08:42
So if it was another brand fanboys would be like you should have bought a BCM instead of that one but when a BCM broke it was well every thing fails . Absolutly should not have broke no excuses.

That's BS. Everything man made can break. There's no history of these charging handles breaking regularly. In fact this is the first BCM I've seen break. I'm not a fanboy either since I replaced my BCM with a Raptor.

bfoosh006
05-08-16, 09:06
Excellent reminder. First time I can remember reading about a broken charging handle that far forward.

Stuff happens , even to the best of companies.

quackhead
05-08-16, 09:47
That's BS. Everything man made can break. There's no history of these charging handles breaking regularly. In fact this is the first BCM I've seen break. I'm not a fanboy either since I replaced my BCM with a Raptor.

I agree- have seen lots of BCM CH with hard use and none broken. It can happen as stickman stated. These are parts that wear and can break. While not a regular occurrence, it's not bad to have a spare CH on hand - especially for those who do plenty on one handed drills.

Scrubber3
05-08-16, 10:04
The area were is separated can be stressed in different directions. Even when removing, if you pull it too early.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

hotrodder636
05-08-16, 10:24
Agreed. I would rather break a CH than put extra stress/wear on the upper leading to failure. Keeping USGI style CHs is a cheap and easy backup. I have a pile of them after I pulled and replaced them with BCM units. I keep two in my range bag just in case.

One handing/ palming / slapping/ finger snagging the charging handle it what generates the torque/ leverage which creates the stresses on the CH and upper. The CH is what we see fail, which is what we would want to see happen as opposed to a failure of the upper receiver. Using a steel CH puts the wear on the other side. It doesn't change the forces involved.

The other thing to remember is that not everyone uses the CH the same way. As already pointed out, parts break, especially thin aluminum ones. Back when the charging handle was grabbed with equal support on each side, a broken CH would be freakish. Now, not so much.

26 Inf
05-08-16, 12:17

These are machines, anything can break, so not that it absolutely shouldn't have - but I was think the same thing you were, 'boy if that were a PSA handle we'd have about a dozen SME's harping about hobby rifles.'

Brahmzy
05-08-16, 12:27
In before the sharp increase of spare BCM Mod4 CH sales.

Jewell
05-08-16, 12:29

I've been waiting for this since this thread was started. I'm actually quite surprised it took this long.

Alnamvet68
05-08-16, 13:33
I could not find an implied or expressed warranty on BCM products. After much searching, I only find Anderson Rifles having a limited life time warranty on the parts that they sell. Looking at the fotos of this CH, I don’t see a heavily used and/or abused CH, suggesting there just might be a QC problem with this particular item; unfortunately, The BCM Web Site doesn't offer and avenue to pursue this possibility. Nevertheless, for the price of this BCM CH, one could have had at least three CH's...one installed, one for backup in the most remote possibility that yours breaks, and one for a range buddy should he suffer this most unlikely event.

zackmars
05-08-16, 13:45
I could not find an implied or expressed warranty on BCM products. After much searching, I only find Anderson Rifles having a limited life time warranty on the parts that they sell. Looking at the fotos of this CH, I don’t see a heavily used and/or abused CH, suggesting there just might be a QC problem with this particular item; unfortunately, The BCM Web Site doesn't offer and avenue to pursue this possibility. Nevertheless, for the price of this BCM CH, one could have had at least three CH's...one installed, one for backup in the most remote possibility that yours breaks, and one for a range buddy should he suffer this most unlikely event.

You do know if you have an issue with their products, you can email BCM, correct?

You obviously didn't look hard enough, since i found this in less than a minute
FOR WARRANTY CLAIMS: Please contact us via email so we can assist you and issue a RMA if necessary. All BCM® products carry a lifetime workmanship warranty to the original purchaser.

wingspar
05-08-16, 15:29
You obviously didn't look hard enough, since i found this in less than a minute

FOR WARRANTY CLAIMS: Please contact us via email so we can assist you and issue a RMA if necessary. All BCM® products carry a lifetime workmanship warranty to the original purchaser.

Why don’t you provide a link. 10 minutes of searching the BCM site brought up nothing like that.

FlyingHunter
05-08-16, 15:45
GFX 9 : Have you contacted BCM and what was their response?

zackmars
05-08-16, 15:46
Why don’t you provide a link. 10 minutes of searching the BCM site brought up nothing like that.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/returns.asp

All you have to do is scroll down to "shipping and returns" at the bottom of the page

matt7184
05-08-16, 16:21
When BCM first released the charging handles years ago, I had this exact same failure. CH broke along shaft and I had at most 50 rounds through it. BCM was contacted and made everything right.

wingspar
05-08-16, 18:24
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/returns.asp

All you have to do is scroll down to "shipping and returns" at the bottom of the page

When I click on your link, I see what you see, but when I clicked on “Shipping and Returns” at least 3 times before I posted, I got something completely different. I even used the search feature on the BCM site and could not find what you found. I do find the BCM site a little difficult to navigate, so I bookmarked your link.

EDIT: I just realized that the Shipping link is different from the Returns link. Clicking on returns gets the link you provided. Should be on two different lines. I’ll bet that catches a lot of people.

MegademiC
05-08-16, 18:58
This is why I try to pull straight back with mine. It's easy to push it to the strong side and you can feel the inreased friction.

Don't shoot the gun like that, it's useless. Chances are it would break while loading a round, so it's not like you wouldn't know before your loaded up, unless you keep your ar cruise ready, but you'd still know.

GFX_9
05-08-16, 19:54
GFX 9 : Have you contacted BCM and what was their response?

I sent a respectful email saturday. No response yet. Not sweating it.

FlyingHunter
05-08-16, 20:08
Cool. They are a good company and I'm guessing they will respond in a manner that is fair. Everything breaks...I agree, no need sweating.

556BlackRifle
05-08-16, 20:47
I sent a respectful email saturday. No response yet. Not sweating it.

I'm sure you'll hear back right away. Great company and they stand behind their products. There was a forum member who installed a key mod accessory incorrectly and messed up the rail. No questions asked, BCM replaced it. I'm sure that's exactly what they'll do for you as well.

Iraqgunz
05-08-16, 22:21
A. BCM should have been contacted first and allowed a chance to respond.

B. Contacting them and waiting 10 minutes to then post it generally doesn't meet the criteria.

C. I have seen more than a few handles break. Never seen one that looked like that.