PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey AR ownership laws

Augee
10-09-06, 14:42
Hello,

Anyone out there from the old Jersey? I'm still technically a Jersey resident, even though I more or less live in South Carolina, am in, and commissioning with the SCARNG, but I'd like to eventually go back up north, maybe looking at graduate school for journalism (whole 'nother bag).

I've heard a little bit about Jersey's strict assault weapons ban, but does anyone have more details, loopholes, ect. about what one can own in Jersey? Despite the fact that I've only had it for about a month, and I've been settin' up my AR just the way I like it, and I can't imagine wanting to part with it any time soon, just to move back to Jersey. Still, for the time being, it's a non-issue, since I'm living in South Carolina, and worst comes to worst, I can always sell it, or swap out parts in the long term, right now I'm just building what I want.

I have, and can continue to call to get the offical police line from the local LEO's, but I just wanted to get some input from some AR fans here. For example, if I took a semi-auto M-4, otherwise issue style, and put a fixed stock on it, would that make it compliant? What about pre-ban/undated high capacity magazines?

Thanks,
~Augee

Joe R.
10-09-06, 14:58
High cap mags (over 10 rounds) of ANY sort are illegal in NJ. Even for cops carrying from other states (off duty) under House Bill 218.

Your AR would need to be in a "post ban" configuration. No folding or collapsible stock, no flash hider, no bayonet lug etc, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some of the finer points here, but lets just say I live in PA and avoid NJ at all costs. Hell I stopped shooting IPSC at a great club in central Jersey because of the screwed up firearms laws and not wanting to be the out of state guy they "made an example of".

Boomer10
10-09-06, 15:21
High cap mags (over 10 rounds) of ANY sort are illegal in NJ. Even for cops carrying from other states (off duty) under House Bill 218.

Your AR would need to be in a "post ban" configuration. No folding or collapsible stock, no flash hider, no bayonet lug etc, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some of the finer points here, but lets just say I live in PA and avoid NJ at all costs. Hell I stopped shooting IPSC at a great club in central Jersey because of the screwed up firearms laws and not wanting to be the out of state guy they "made an example of".

15 round magazines are perfectly legal in NJ. Anything over that is illegal.

Augee
10-10-06, 08:25
Does the "no flash hider" rule include permanently attached muzzle devices of any type? Or just those classified as flash suppressors?

~Augee

MAUSER88
10-10-06, 10:32
Brakes are legal but must be pinned or welded. No flashiders are legal. Also no bayonets lugs are legal either as well as folding or telescoping stocks. As correctly stated, we can only have up to 15 round mags.

Augee
10-10-06, 13:30
What about having other componets, but not assembled? For example, if I were ever to move back to Jersey, and my AR has a flash hider and FSB with a bayonet lug and collapsible stock, if I remove the barrel, and replace it with one with a muzzle break, and no bayonet lug, and replace the stock with a fixed one, can I legally possess this combination?

1x assembled lower receiver, semi-auto only, fixed stock
1x assembled upper receiver with BCG and charging handle, with attached barrel, no bayonet lug, pinned muzzle break
1x barrel with flash hider and FSB with bayonet lug
1x telescoping stock assembly, disassembled

What does Jersey say about SBR's? I'm assuming they're not fans, what about AR pistols? Does an AR carbine without a stock, and just a buffer tube become an AR pistol?

Thanks,
~Augee

MAUSER88
10-10-06, 13:52
That should be fine. I know of no law saying you can't have parts as long as they are not attached to a rifle they should be fine.

Just remember your receiver cannot read AR15 as it's banned by name.

Short barreled rifles, forget it. AR's pistols are a nono too.

Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles and have to be registered as such.

Joe R.
10-10-06, 15:15
Augee, I don't know how close to PA you were looking to move to, but it might be worth while to put some thought into living in PA if possible. Our laws here are much more gun friendly then NJ (to include full-auto, SBRs and suppressors).