PDA

View Full Version : Big Dot Sights - Tritium rear sight or just plain white line?

Pawnee
05-08-16, 10:03
Would like to try the XS Big Dot Sights. They come in two flavors: Express (Tritium Front Sight Only) or the "24/7" Style (Tritium Front and Rear). I think the Express style version is easier to see, since the solid white post is more visible, but would I be giving up functionality by not having the Tritium rear sight? Any experience and advice would be appreciated.

farmhard
05-08-16, 11:25
To me the tritium front and rear are simple to line up at night and are easy to work with in day light. I have no regrets purchasing. in addition its just my opinion but in lowlight or using a wml you would regret not having an illuminated rear to help with sight alignment.

AKDoug
05-08-16, 13:43
With WML, lining up a plain black rear sight is a non-issue.

civiliansheepdog
05-08-16, 14:37
I think you should keep the rear tritium sight. And they are more accurate than some folks might think.

samuse
05-09-16, 08:28
Get the cheapest ones because they suck and you're not going to keep 'em for long.

If you want to try the concept for free before you blow $100, just remove your rear sight and head to the range. If the clouds part and your shooting improves, go for the Big Dots.

nova3930
05-09-16, 10:15
Get the cheapest ones because they suck and you're not going to keep 'em for long.

If you want to try the concept for free before you blow $100, just remove your rear sight and head to the range. If the clouds part and your shooting improves, go for the Big Dots.

I've never tried them but the only way I could see them being an "improvement" is at ranges you don't really need sights anyway...

Cincinnatus15
05-09-16, 10:52
I've used them for the past year or so and they're fine for shots out to 20ish yards but beyond that if your sight picture isn't perfect your shots are gonna be sporadic. The front sight is just too big and the rear might as well not even be there. If your eyesight sucks then yeah I can see merit but beyond that it's doing more harm to your skills than good. Sights are usually to to increase accuracy not speed and you can be just as fast with normal notch and post. It's possible to get good with them but I just switched over to Defoor sights and they've already allowed me much better accuracy in one week than the big dots ever have. Like them a lot. And speed up close is just as fast.

Big A
05-09-16, 13:34
Would like to try the XS Big Dot Sights. They come in two flavors: Express (Tritium Front Sight Only) or the "24/7" Style (Tritium Front and Rear). I think the Express style version is easier to see, since the solid white post is more visible, but would I be giving up functionality by not having the Tritium rear sight? Any experience and advice would be appreciated.

As someone who has had them on pistols (I jump on these when they first came out thinking they were the new hotness) and replaced them with various offerings from Ameriglo I say skip them and either get a set of Ameriglos in whatever flavor you desire or a set of Trijicon HD's.

Goldorak
05-10-16, 10:52
Take not only my word, but also Paul Howe's, and DON'T do it. He used to keep track of how many would show up and pass his standards with Big Dots (none), and was genuinely surprised when the first one did. In spite of his relationship with XS, the Big Dot sights are not on his recommendation list.
You'll struggle a lot. You will not be any faster than with a good "normal" sight, and you will be slow AND inaccurate past 15 yards or so. Worst of both worlds.
I'd like to say that it's a good replacement for the stock Glock sights (everyone replaces them, right) for someone who does NOT practice. Once you start getting into shooting and past novice level, the failings of the Big Dots will become clear. So, just skip them.

Doc Safari
05-10-16, 11:22
I like the big dot sights. My eyesight is aging and lining up three little dots is hard for me now. I have the tritium front with the plain painted rear because I was primarily concerned with seeing them in the daytime. At night with a flashlight in the other hand, I just make sure the black front is in the concave portion of the rear and that's a good enough sight picture for "in the bedroom."

I understand Big Dots are not for everyone, but my 51-year-old eyes definitely like them.

Pawnee
05-10-16, 19:31
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I am like Doc Glockster, in my 50's and am having trouble seeing the front sight. I have previously used the HD Night Sights on all of my guns, but can't seem to see them well enough anymore. I was hoping I could still perform with a switch over to the Big Dots. I did end up purchasing the "Express" version (Tritium only on front sight).

With multiple guns, I have the luxury of doing a side by side comparison. I can see the Big Dots just fine in daylight, but sadly, lose them too in shadowed areas. Of my three current sights, I seem to be able to see the "Snake Eyes Ghost Ring" the best. They are quick and accurate enough for me up close, but I am having mixed results from 25 yards and beyond. I am thinking it might be time to try an RMR or Deltapoint.

Auto-X Fil
05-11-16, 13:11
I really like a dot in the front only. Three glowing dots can be a mess in the dark. If it's really that dark it's not like you're shooting Bullseye anyway - just focus on the front sight and bang.