PDA

View Full Version : Minimum You Will Carry

Bigkrackers
05-08-16, 16:53
I have been conceal carrying a G19 for a couple of years now. My biggest struggle has been to carry when "you don't need a gun". By that I mean mowing the lawn, a quick run to the corner gas station or just hanging around in the house playing Xbox with the kids. Generally this is in basketball shorts, sweats or cargo shorts. I find myself more and more over the years not wearing a gun in these situations, especially in the summer, and I want to change that. So, I'm very interested in what people are strapping on or putting in their pocket when wearing gym clothing or putzing around the house. Wheel guns are welcome as well.

jwfuhrman
05-08-16, 16:57
My G19. All day, every day. Except at work. Its in my Active Shooter Response bag along with my armor, team wendy exfil helmet and some other things, but the only time I get to carry at work is if it hits the fan..... other wise its frowned up for Medics to be armed.

punkey71
05-08-16, 17:11
I have been conceal carrying a G19 for a couple of years now. My biggest struggle has been to carry when "you don't need a gun". By that I mean mowing the lawn, a quick run to the corner gas station or just hanging around in the house playing Xbox with the kids. Generally this is in basketball shorts, sweats or cargo shorts. I find myself more and more over the years not wearing a gun in these situations, especially in the summer, and I want to change that. So, I'm very interested in what people are strapping on or putting in their pocket when wearing gym clothing or putzing around the house. Wheel guns are welcome as well.

Around the house in gym shorts, sweatpants? DSG clip on for a J Frame or a G43. http://darkstargear.com/kydex-gear/aiwb/

I imagine the JM universal for the same guns would be similar. http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/IWBU.html

Are you trying to carry the G19 with gym shorts? I'm sure folks do it with success, but a G43 with a plus 2 mag extension is as heavy as I want it to get with gym shorts.

When I leave the house, it's a G19 in a JM AIWB.

Bigkrackers
05-08-16, 17:29
Are you trying to carry the G19 with gym shorts? I'm sure folks do it with success, but a G43 with a plus 2 mag extension is as heavy as I want it to get with gym shorts.

Not unless I want those shorts around my ankles two seconds after walking out the door.

I don't know how people can carry a G19 in basketball shorts or running shorts. I must be doing something wrong although I will say I have not explored all the possible holster options whe a belt is not in the picture.

TAZ
05-08-16, 17:36
G42 in a DSG clip on or a pocket holster. Great grab and go combo for a short run out. If I'm wearing a belt a full sized gun comes along for the ride.

jmoore
05-08-16, 17:47
I don't wear gym shorts - so can't really help there. Philosophically - if I'm anywhere other than the campus I teach at, I carry. Home/mowing/bike rides/walks/running to the store, etc. I don't/won't frequent businesses (IL) that are posted, and I just do the drive through at the post office.

Brings up a good question - what do folks do who swim at the Y? I won't leave my g26 in a locker, and haven't figured out the Speedo carry yet:). It just stays in the locked safe in my truck while I'm left with my CRKT m16. Guess that's about the best I can do?

john

DirectTo
05-08-16, 18:00
Glock 19 everywhere except running, then I reluctantly drop a J frame into my pocket.

Tried a 26 in a belly band for a while - tolerable but I could get to the pocket faster.

MegademiC
05-08-16, 19:14
Situation dependant. Knife when gun is nogo, a rigid pen in foreign countries. Around the house, I carry or have gun within reach. At the gym, gun is in the car. I'm just not THAT dedicated to carry while Im doing squats.

FlyingHunter
05-08-16, 19:28
Work hard to stick with the G19 because in that rare moment you may ever need a gun, you will want a handful of gun. I'm 98% G19 and to answer the question for the 2% that the G19 won't work, Ruger LCP .380.

Linebacker
05-08-16, 20:23
For deep concealment, Thunderwear has served me quite well. Check them out.

http://thunderwear.com/holsters.asp

seb5
05-08-16, 20:30
Glock 23 is my issued weapon and its with me if I have pants on. If I'm in shorts and t shirt then it's in the car or house, wherever I am, and the Glock 43 is on me. Several years ago I got rid of everything smaller.

DirectTo
05-08-16, 20:36
a rigid pen in foreign countries.
That's a great one I always forget, if you absolutely have to step down a level. Did this for years as an airline pilot. S&W makes or made a good one.

Cincinnatus15
05-08-16, 21:22
Glock 19, at least one spare mag sometimes two. Doesn't matter whether shorts, jeans, t shirts, jackets, whatever. If wearing basketball shorts then I'll just tie them tight enough to hold the holster and pistol up. If no draw strings then ill just carry it with me and set it down where I'm at in the house. You aren't armed if you don't have a gun on you or within arms reach.

T2C
05-08-16, 21:28

A quick run to the corner gas station may be when you need a defensive firearm the most.

Beat Trash
05-08-16, 21:31
Off work, a Glock 19 and one spare magazine.

If lounging around the house, cutting the grass, ect., then a Shield 9mm is as low as I go in a low threat environment.

JohnnyRambo
05-08-16, 22:39
I used to carry my G19 (in a milt sparks nexus2) for a few years. At beginning of last summer I decided I wanted the to find something smaller/lighter to wear during hot summer days (trunks / tshirt). I purchased an M&P Shield in 9mm and got a kydex holster for it. The kydex has a large rigid clip on it that I can hook securely onto my belt or even just to the waist band of shorts. (Alpha holster by Squared Away Customs) I liked it so much I continued to carry ever since. I really like the extended 8rd magazine as it fits my hand perfectly with no dangling pinky and does not cause excess printing. It has excellent ergonics and is very accurate for me. You can carry at 3 o'clock or appendix comfortably and sit without having to adjust. If I am going to a bad part of town I just toss an extra mag in my pocket.

The G43 looks nice too. I just prefer the ergonomics and extra round capacity of the Shield (8+1).

+1 Shield

l8apex
05-08-16, 23:10
Shield, but rarely - 90% G19. Quick run to the store or errands, VG2 holster does well.

Grip
05-08-16, 23:19
G19 every single time i leave the house, and at work.

i learned my lesson about needing a gun and not having it one time. Never again.

SPDGG
05-08-16, 23:27
fwiw:

Dry Spring/Summer Days: G26
Dry Spring/Summer Nights: G26/G19
Wet Spring/Summer Nights: G19

Dry-Wet Fall/Winter Days/Nights: G19

Outside the House Stuff; Shorts, Flip Flops: J-Frame
Inside the House: ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ .

* Always an extra mag G19/G17; J-Frame: Strips
* Always a blade
* Night: Light
* Day: Light within reach for Night

SteyrAUG
05-09-16, 02:08
Well I don't carry when I mow the lawn, my yard just isn't that dangerous. When I'm inside the house, I have immediate access to my carry gun, but generally I don't feel the need to wear it. I also don't keep on in the fridge "just in case."

But when I lock up the house and leave, I'm armed. I don't care if it's around the corner, if I leave my property I'm armed.

Bigkrackers
05-09-16, 06:21
I also don't keep one in the fridge "just in case."

Funny you say that. I used to have this image in my mind that the one time someone was going to kick my door in would be while I was in the shower just starting to rinse the shampo out of my hair or on the john. Never gave it serious enough thought to find a solution to a gun in the shower that wouldn't freek out my wife but I still entertain thoughts about getting a little derringer or Kel-tec within easy reach of the throne. :)

Hmac
05-09-16, 06:27
I carry a 9mm Walther PPS M2/no 2nd magazine when I leave the house if I'm dressed in a manner that it can be concealed. Otherwise I might throw a J-frame in my pocket. I don't carry a gun around the house, nor when I'm mowing the lawn. Sometimes, I'll carry at work but that would be rare.

tacticaldesire
05-09-16, 06:47
Funny you say that. I used to have this image in my mind that the one time someone was going to kick my door in would be while I was in the shower just starting to rinse the shampo out of my hair or on the john. Never gave it serious enough thought to find a solution to a gun in the shower that wouldn't freek out my wife but I still entertain thoughts about getting a little derringer or Kel-tec within easy reach of the throne. :)

I've seen people put one in a plastic baggie and stick it in the reservoir of the toilet.

Arik
05-09-16, 07:56
My edc is a G19 unless the occasion calls for formal clothes. Then it's a J frame 38. In the house I have the J frame on the coffee table, I don't actually carry in the house. Also don't bother carrying while doing yard work. I have more of a chance of being run over by a soccer mom driving a G wagon then having an actual confrontation with a bad guy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

grizzlyblake
05-09-16, 08:02
The only times I don't have my G19 on me is when I'm in the office or the gym, at which time it's locked in the truck within eyesight. Otherwise it's AIWB mainly because I know it's under my control and not going to be touched by anyone else.

Lefty223
05-09-16, 08:11
Small 380 w/ laser does it for me, when I want to carry while wearing shorts. Many scoff at the idea of a 380, but look up theFBI data on the Corbon 380 load ... as it outperforms 38 Special loads. And yet many who frown at a small 380 think nothing of strapping on a J-frame 38sp ... I don't get it ...

samuse
05-09-16, 08:26
I don't set foot at gas station without a pistol on me. Doing yard work and loafing around the house? I keep a pistol within easy reach of the front door and my bedroom but I don't have a holster strapped to me 24+ hours a day.

1_click_off
05-09-16, 08:31
This http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2702460481/kel-tec-belt-clip-kel-tec-p32-p3at-steel

With a LCP has served me well. It is made for the Keltec, but fit just fine on the LCP.

When not in shorts and wearing jeans, you can place the clip between the jeans and under your belt. Have a little fat roll and the thing just about disappears.

Gunfixr
05-09-16, 08:43
G19 pretty much all the time. OWB at work, IWB the rest of the time.
I used to alternate between that, a Polish P64 in 9mm mak, and a little Keltec p32. I don't wear shorts, I don't tan, and I got over the burn decades ago. If at the beach, walking the surf line, I'll drop the 32 in my pocket. I used the p64 for smaller concealment. But, I got better at always concealing the g19, so now it's that almost all the time.

Before somebody freaks at the 32, at the time, Ruger and glock didn't have any 380s or small 9mm yet, not a lot of options. A friend who had both Keltec pistols said the 32 was significantly more accurate than the 380, and a hit with a 32 is still better than a miss with the 380. The p64 was cheap, well built, and a bit more power than 380.
Thought of selling both and getting a little Ruger or glock, but just don't use a gun that small enough to justify going through the trouble.
About to transition to a hi power, though. That will make the g19 my compact gun.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

jmoore
05-09-16, 09:46
..... but I still entertain thoughts about getting a little derringer or Kel-tec within easy reach of the throne. :)

Smith 625 with 4 moonclips within reach of my throne.

I know there are two schools of thought about loaded weapons around the house - and I understand totally if you have wee beasties or grand beasties. I have no kids (that I know of:) and accept the other associated risks.

john

nova3930
05-09-16, 10:12
My bodyguard 380 loaded with ammo that uses the Hornady XTP. The XTPs out of that barrel length consistently expand at 12-13" of penetration. Not optimum but "in spec." Course IMO "optimal" is 18" with consistent expansion so nothing I carry really is optimal...

The BG380 is a last resort carry though. Mowing the grass I wear cargo shorts with a belt and a FS P320 OWB. OC is legal here so for quick trips to the gas station I have a paddle holster I toss the FS P320 in for quick on off. I do throw that BG380 in my back pocket just to have something when I'm working inside the house though. Can basically carry it comfortable all day that way, up to and including taking a nap on the couch.

officerX
05-09-16, 10:43
A quick run to the corner gas station may be when you need a defensive firearm the most.

That what my first thought when reading the OP as well - I'm glad someone finally said it.

I carry my G30S AIWB in a Zorn Skinny Rig any time I leave the house.

B Cart
05-09-16, 12:06
I wear basketball shorts a lot and I will just throw my Shield 9mm in a Smart Carry (http://www.smartcarry.com/) and it works awesome. No need for a belt and it's not supported at all by the basketball shorts. But that is really only for when i'm lounging or wearing clothes without a belt.

Whenever I am out i have my Walther PPQ 9mm 98% of the time. For situations when i need deeper concealment or just want to grab and run to the gas station, I will grab my M&P Shield.

Bigkrackers
05-09-16, 12:30
That what my first thought when reading the OP as well - I'm glad someone finally said it.

I carry my G30S AIWB in a Zorn Skinny Rig any time I leave the house.

Not so much the activity as what I might wear.

Case in point, this weekend I had to fill up the gas can for the mower halfway through the job. I had on my customary basketball shorts and tank top. The corner gas station is literally down the block and around the corner. Sure, I could go change so I could carry my G19. I could also do all my house work in jeans or cargo shorts. I just don't want to do that and before I get any lectures... :) ...I do understand and recognize that ideally when you conceal carry you dress to the gun. I'm acknowledging that in some situation I'm not going to do that and accept that I will have to make compromises in what I'm carrying. More to the point, however, is that in many of those situations I'm not carrying anything at all and looking for ways to fix that. Hence, this thread and getting feedback on what people in similar situations feel is the absolute minimum they will carry.

Thank you though for both comments on the gas station as I agree that this is more of an elevated threat level than someones lawn (in most cases).

I'm strongly leaning towards a LCP or Kel-Tec or Kahr type as this is the size and weight of what I have in mind. Not necessarily those exact guns but something in that vein.

Bigkrackers
05-09-16, 12:44
I wear basketball shorts a lot and I will just throw my Shield 9mm in a Smart Carry (http://www.smartcarry.com/) and it works awesome. No need for a belt and it's not supported at all by the basketball shorts. But that is really only for when i'm lounging or wearing clothes without a belt.

Whenever I am out i have my Walther PPQ 9mm 98% of the time. For situations when i need deeper concealment or just want to grab and run to the gas station, I will grab my M&P Shield.

Nice to get some feedback on the Shield as I was wondering if this is of a size and weight that would work.

Big A
05-09-16, 13:19
Nice to get some feedback on the Shield as I was wondering if this is of a size and weight that would work.

If I am outside of my house I have at minimum a J-frame on me. I don't wear my gun around the inside of my house unless I just got back from whatever I was doing and hadn't taken it off yet.

Now this is just my personal opinion but, I would skip the micro .380's altogether and just opt for a single stack 9mm in whatever flavor you prefer. I have an S&W Shield in 9mm and love it and I will probably add a G43 soon. Skipping the .380's also saves you from having to buy additional ammo that is more expensive than 9mm.

1911-A1
05-09-16, 15:23
I have a P3AT in a tiny clip on holster that I can carry AIWB in almost anything. It's since been replaced by the G43 though. It can hide in all the same clothes and packs a little more heat.

Uprange41
05-09-16, 15:32
Still gotta fight with it at the end of the day... G26 is my current minimum (and long-time preference), G43 is the strict minimum.

SteyrAUG
05-09-16, 17:57

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/showergun.jpg

sevenhelmet
05-09-16, 18:22
^^^Now that's awesome.

Benito
05-09-16, 20:26
Howdy,

Beretta 93R with minimum 4 spare stick mags. It's what I carried in the Sandbox.

Bigkrackers
05-09-16, 22:10
Howdy,

Beretta 93R with minimum 4 spare stick mags. It's what I carried in the Sandbox.

Doesn't exactly fit my requirements but if i were in the market for a machine pistol i would go with the MAC-10 in .45 ACP. Not has classy looking as the Beretta though.

Wiggity
05-10-16, 11:08
Howdy,

I hear that. I feel under armed with anything less than a G18 w/ 10 33rd mags when planting my flowers.

Watrdawg
05-10-16, 15:33
G19 everywhere outside of the house during regular work days and after hours. If I'm doing yard work at minimum it will be my G43. Either way one of those will be within reach most of the time. In my vehicle I always have my G19 with me and at least 1 spare mag. Only place I don't have a weapon on me or within reach is when I'm in the gym.

ramairthree
05-10-16, 15:33
G26

If your shorts are the issue,
Just go to ones that have a built in belt.

Plenty of active wear with more retention than BB shorts.

Go commando in a size or two too small UDT shorts with a size too small white tshirt and dudes will know not to mess with you even if they don't see the obvious printing.

Ok, that was just kidding.

Seriously look at EMS, REI, etc. for some active hiking, running, water sports shorts with an intrinsic belt.

Strip off the sweatpants and BB shorts and put on some knew stuff unless your are still living in your room at home.

Edit-
I WISH I had a beretta 92 mag sub compact option.
The 92 compact has a barrel barely shorter than the full sized.

The 9000 series is as wide as a Glock 30,
FFS they made the damn fun wider than the 92.
And an atrocious trigger and a tiny slide you can barely grip.
And the grip material crumbles up and comes off.

The Mini Cougar and Compact cougar are also thick,
And they basically took 92 mags and moved the mag release hole.
Massively stupid move. Let's introduce a gun during the AWB that you can't use your 92 mags for.

I know they cannot make the 92 grip any shorter than the compact. The huge trigger guard and hammer strut make it as short as you can use already.

WTF they have never made a shorter slide/barrel for the 92 I have no idea.

WTF they did not just make the 9000 series frame one that would be compatible with the 92 compact or the wished for shorter 92 upper I have no idea.

WTF they did not just offset the internal mag release so the cougar would take 92 mags I have no idea.

People say who am I to question a firearms manufacturer that has been in business over 500 years.

I say,
What have they done in the last twenty that will keep them in the pistol market?

A rotating barrel semi auto that does not take 92 makes but has same manual of arms that has failed and is off the market except for in a factory in Turkey.

Replaced it with a line of rotating barrel semi autos that do not take 92 mags, or the cougar mags,
That has found no market.

An updated 90-two fiasco with a slippery grip that looked cool and had fashion designer input and is off the market.
God forbid they had just put a dovetailed front sight and rail on a regular 92.

A sub compact polymer framed pistol compatible with 92 mags, but had a different manual of arms, horrible trigger, horrible ergs, and horrible construction that also had fashion designer input and is off the market.

A 96A1 design to salvage the update costs of the 90-two. When no one is looking for a 40. So they double down and make it in 9mm also. With different rail and trigger guards on them than the nice M9A1 frame.

When a well know manufacturer demonstrates there is a market for their discontinued g model with a Vertec or brigadier type upper with changeable front sight and all metal parts,
They bring out a similar gun for the same price, but with plastic parts,
And bring back the g model, with plastic parts and the old fixed front sight,
And bring back the Vertec and brig models, in FS configuration.

And while not offering a desired subconpmpact gun ever (PX series guns work, but remain largely unsold)
They double down and continue to push the PX line instead of getting their flagship line good to go.

And also bring out a couple of pocket pistol size offerings with reliability/reputation issues that are not highly sought after.

And don't offer Production/SSP suitable offerings during major growth in action shooting,
So CZ sells more guns than they can make for the all metal DA/SA folks.

All while Glock, S&W, and SA all make a full line of mag compatible guns from comp and long, to service, to compact, to sub compact.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-10-16, 17:35
J-frame all day, every day except for when I am in bed (I am self employed). That is the beauty of the J-frame. There just isn't a reason not to carry it.

Beside the bed is currently my H&K P30 LEM. When I am out and about with my wife and child I carry my H&K P2000 LEM and J-frame.

Right now my #1 focus is absolute reliability and lack of drama. I figure if I am not carrying a 1911 it might as well be totally trustworthy.

Dienekes
05-11-16, 18:39
Glock 19, spare mag OWB as a general rule. 442 Smith as per the above. No particular pride of ownership involved but they meet the need.

ritepath
05-11-16, 19:38
For my normal killing time around the house anything weighing or sized bigger than my LCP is impossible.

My 642 makes a fine belt gun but it way to bulky to pocket carry.

Frailer
05-11-16, 21:22
I ordinarily carry a Glock 26 or a 642, but last Sunday I found myself in a situation where even those weren't suitable.

NAA Black Widow to the rescue. It's not much of a gun, but the noise and fireball will at least make them jump back.

Jake D
05-16-16, 13:21
I have a Shield for my edc, however I bought a LCP specifically for the types of situations that you are describing. I wanted something that I could throw in the pocket of my shorts on my way to the gym or put in my sweat pants pocket for when I have to run to the corner store on Saturday morning to get milk for my daughter's breakfast. Regardless of what all of the keyboard commandos say having a small .380 is better than nothing. Like you I'm not getting fully dressed to make a quick trip to fill up the gas can or get milk and a fully loaded Shield is heavier than you think. An LCP in a Desantis pocket holster is light and easy to carry in basketball shorts or sweatpants.

Guns-up.50
05-16-16, 13:53
I bought a 642 for the same reason as the OP. I carry if in my front pocket. After owning one a shooting it I find I carry it a lot more,even when i dont need the convenience of a pocket pistol. . I think they scare people because the force you to shoot and train more.

PatrioticDisorder
05-16-16, 16:43
G19, G26 or G43, when I leave the house one of them is strapped on me.

BangBang77
05-16-16, 17:24
In 2015, I converted to Glock. I'd previously dabbled in them but had never fully committed enough time and training on one to become proficient.

Pre 2015 - J frame snubbie pocket carried. Post Kool-Aid conversion - G43. The heat and humidity in Arkansas can be somewhat stifling, so when I'm not working, I roll in cargo shorts, flip flops, and a polo. The G43 rides in a pocket holster when in shorts and OWB when in pants.

Until the conversion, winter carry has always been a 1911 or a HK USPc in an OWB during hoodie or jacket weather, as well as in my duty holster (reserve SO deputy). Now it's a G17 for winter / duty.

556BlackRifle
05-16-16, 20:42
Currently I have an LCP in my pocket and a G19 IWB with an extra mag in my back pocket. During warmer weather I switch to a G36 + extra mag because it conceals a bit easier.

Schulze
05-17-16, 22:43
Minimum I carry is a 9mm full size. M&P or CZ. I don't care how well it conceals and I don't care what other people's opinions are if they find out. The best answer I've found to any question goes like this:

Is that a gun?
No.
Ok.....

Are you carrying a gun?
No.
The what was that hard thing?
My cock.
On your side?
Yes.

Why do you need a gun?
I don't.
So why are you carrying one?
I'm not.
Then what is that?
What is what?
That on your hip?
What on my hip?
omg you're impossible.
I'll have a coke.

brickboy240
05-18-16, 11:36
The smallest I would consider would be something in the G26 or Shield size. Maybe my older Chief's Special 38.

9mm or 38Spl would be the absolute smallest caliber I would consider carrying.

skydivr
05-18-16, 12:08
Winter is easy, as I can wear something that covers my waist, OWB or IWB.

Summer is hard. I can't wear an untucked shirt at work, and I'm not large enough to hide a IWB with a tucked shirt and not print like hell.

Best I've been able to come up with is a S&W Bodyguard in my front or back pocket in a pocket holster to try and break the print - even then, it shows to people in the know . Even thought the .380 doesn't carry the punch I'd like it to, it's better than nothing, remembering my goal is not to run to the sound of gunfire, but to disengage and get my family to safety.

yugo308guy
05-18-16, 18:29
Minimum I carry is a 9mm full size. M&P or CZ. I don't care how well it conceals and I don't care what other people's opinions are if they find out. The best answer I've found to any question goes like this:

Is that a gun?
No.
Ok.....

Are you carrying a gun?
No.
My cock.
On your side?
Yes.

Why do you need a gun?
I don't.
I'm not.
Then what is that?
What is what?
That on your hip?
What on my hip?
omg you're impossible.
I'll have a coke.

I wish there was a "like" button here!

tplee05
05-18-16, 20:10
Shield in 9mm...but any good single stack 9 will do. I usually just carry it in my right front pocket when wearing jeans or shorts (it's pretty light and less than an inch thick). I also go on runs with it, wearing the typical lightweight running shorts and tappered fit (not tight, not loose) dry-fit shirt. First couple times my wife and I went running toghter after getting the shield, she didn't even know I was carrying. I should note, for runs I appendix carry--only thing in my pocket when running is my CWP.

By the way, had the G43 been out at the time a got the Shield, I would have considered that one too. But I love my Shield nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

26 Inf
05-18-16, 20:23

Is that a gun?
No.
Ok.....

Are you carrying a gun?
No.
My cock.
On your side?
Yes.

Why do you need a gun?
I don't.
I'm not.
Then what is that?
What is what?
That on your hip?
What on my hip?
omg you're impossible.
I'll have a coke.

That is all good until

"Hey Junebug, that dudes carrying"
"Shoot, how much money do you think is in the till?"
"Usually about 600.00 this time of night, they can't keep up with drops."
"Screw him, shoot him and nobody will give us any shit."
'Bang"

tanktop
05-18-16, 20:59
I like my Shield, wife doesn't even notice until she gives me a hug. I really like my Talon Appendix holster, I can carry in many different positions, 1, 3 or 5 depending on what I'm doing and what I'm wearing. I've gotten out of my truck and grabbed it out of the center console and put it at 5 o'clock while talking with someone getting out of their car next to me. Most people are so oblivious to the world around them you could be talking to them and ask what color shirt you're wearing and they would look down to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylineracer329
05-23-16, 21:57
Not unless I want those shorts around my ankles two seconds after walking out the door.

I don't know how people can carry a G19 in basketball shorts or running shorts. I must be doing something wrong although I will say I have not explored all the possible holster options whe a belt is not in the picture.

3Speed Holster. Not belt required

tacti-cool
05-23-16, 22:08
s&W 642 is a great light weight carry for these days. I carry it when i wear board shorts or basketball shorts. i just tie the strings tight and im good to go! people overlook these guns.

Warp
05-24-16, 08:36
For me it's easier to skip the gym shorts and wear 'real' shorts with a belt and a waitband holster. I sometimes do things at the house without a gun, but usually, like yesterday when I was doing some landscaping, I just put on shorts and a belt with a gun as small as a G26.

I received (FINALLY) a mika pocket holster for my 642 though...I will try it with gym shorts. If I want to carry in gym shorts...say going for a run or some activity away from the house...642 in a Smartcarry

KalashniKEV
05-24-16, 09:43
Howdy,

LOL... there was actually some dude on my first tour that did carry 4 x 33 rnd Glock mags (since all he was authorized was a Glock).

He just needed eyes on his chest and he would have been The Punisher.

cfoecke
05-24-16, 18:19
SA 1911 with 9 in the gun and 1 10 round mag

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Vandal
05-24-16, 18:53
I also don't keep on in the fridge "just in case."

I had a G19 in the freezer for 2 days as part of a joke on some friends of mine. My house, unloaded lots of laughs.

In the house I several near by but I don't carry while relaxing on the couch. When I leave it's usually a Sig P320, the other 10% of the time my G43 with Tango Down +2 base pads. I can't carry at work so the P320 and some extra mags are in my get home bag.

PaLEOjd
05-24-16, 18:56
I usually find myself carrying a Glock 19 in a Galco Summer Comfort holster, most of the time anyway.
Depending on weather and what I'm wearing or doing, sometimes it's a G27 or XDs in Kydex inside the waistband. Very rarely carry a full size pistol. I usually don't wear gym shorts but if I do, it's usually while doing yard work. In that case, it's either a G27 or XDs in a Galco ankle holster. Not the best carry option but it seems to work.

Talon167
05-24-16, 19:05
My G27 with 9+1. My summer carry rig and about as 'low' as I'd go.

tanktop
05-24-16, 19:15
Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go back to the gun store tomorrow and pick up a perfect (used) CM40 for $300 OTD? Thought minimum you would carry is perfect place for this question.

Uprange41
05-24-16, 20:49
Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go back to the gun store tomorrow and pick up a perfect (used) CM40 for $300 OTD? Thought minimum you would carry is perfect place for this question.

Because .40 in a gun that size is silly.

Ron3
05-28-16, 22:52
Had to play dress up and felt optimistic.

I carried the Ruger LCR .357, (IWB) two reload strips, and a large folding knife.

Hayseed
05-29-16, 01:03
Glock 19 in a Custom Carry Concepts AIWB, spare G17 msg, CAT TQ, Emerson folder, Survival Hardware Fire Striker.

Tigereye
05-29-16, 07:18
642 in a pocket holster or Shield IWB.

Briman1001
05-29-16, 07:27
G26 with +2. Sometimes with extra g17 mag.

Lost River
05-29-16, 13:49
My absolute minimum since about the last century, has been an Airweight J Frame (with CT Laser grips).

At work, and off duty it rides in my front left (non dominant side) pocket.

No matter if I am carrying what I normally carry off duty (G19/G17), the Airweight J Frame is always in my pocket.

While I have dabbled with the G43, I find the old J Frame in the front pocket to meet my needs quite well.

Plus nobody even gives me a second look when I slide my hand into a front pocket.

shutup&shoot
05-29-16, 15:20
G43, iwb. Even in gym shorts.

CRT2
05-31-16, 06:12
Drawstring shorts an LC9s Professional in a Blackhawk size 1 holster. Wear every day, cutting grass, working in yard or lounging around the house - don't have to look for it if I need it. Otherwise a 1911 in 45.

blade_68
06-02-16, 02:08
I roll with a LC9 min. pocket carry or in Thunderwear. Thunderwear is great in the shorts flip flop weather and locals. Before LC9 it was a CZ83(SS) 380 ......blued rust daily in SE coast. Always quality lockblade knife typically a benchmade, auto being I now live in the Free State of Alabama.

Bimmer
06-03-16, 06:37
I just don't want to do that and before I get any lectures... :) ...I do understand and recognize that ideally when you conceal carry you dress to the gun. I'm acknowledging that in some situation I'm not going to do that and accept that I will have to make compromises in what I'm carrying. More to the point, however, is that in many of those situations I'm not carrying anything at all and looking for ways to fix that...

I'm right with you... My carry permit excludes my place of work (university), and I have a 10-year-old, and my wife is a hoplophobe (until something goes thump in the night).

Plus, I spend a lot of time in Germany, and just forget having a real gun here (legally).

So, I only very rarely carry a pistol, and when I do, it's virtually always off-body.

I do carry a Gerber Paraframe just about everywhere, and in my bookbag there's a mini can of Sabre 3-in-1. It's better than being bare-handed...

multistage
06-05-16, 18:03
Depends.

In my small town, crime is non existent. So a Shield and a spare seems in order.

But when I go to the city, that's a game changer. P2000, USP 9, or PPQ with a couple of spares usually puts my mind to rest.

Road trip? Same as above, but add a SIG P238 in my pocket.

Kadelic
06-05-16, 19:06
Minimum: 9mm Shield AIWB w/7+1 and 2 spare 8 round mags on my belt. Next level: Add the 9c IWB @8:30 w/12+1, and I loose one of the spare Shield mags and add 2 spare 17 round mags on the belt.

Biged65
06-05-16, 22:11
I have a gun within reach 98% of the time. C3 is my #1 carry with at least 1 spare mag usually 2. Easily done with Duluth shorts or pants and a T Shirt. Quick trips or really hot is P938 or Glock 26 in a Sticky holster. I also carry a CZ 07 or HK USPc in 45. The CZ is getting more and more carry time as my girls love to shoot it and my practice time with it has gone way up. I never wear gym shorts so I cant help with that. I have a favorite holster for every gun. TT for the C3, Crossbread for the HK and Stealthgear for the CZ. N82 holsters also get some use, comfy but to re-holster is a minor pain so they never make range trips.

I never go to store or gas station without a gun. I mow with a gun most of the time. When I shower I hang my pants with gun on a hook on the door.