PDA

View Full Version : In search of a backpack.

Atombomb
05-09-16, 11:52
Hello folks, currently searching for a backpack for range trips/classes and so far no luck. I don't want to waste the money and buy another without any input or opinions. I'm looking for certain requirements as this will be my main.
1. Must fit an 10.5 SBR broken down and properly secure it.
2. Must be able to carry a Glock 19 or similar size firearm secured.
3. Able to hold min 6 AR mags and 6 pistol mags loaded.
4. Hold gear such as belt, kydex gun and mag holsters, eye/ear protection, MOLLE.
5. Waterproof (Florida weather).
6. Prefer backpack over Sling.
7. Hydration pack is optional.
8. $200 or less.
9. Made in USA.

ggammell
05-09-16, 13:38
$200 might be your kicker. All of the ones I can think that might fill the rest of your needs are over that price tag. Waterproof might also be a challenge. Might have to use a self apply spray on like nikwax or similar.

daddyusmaximus
05-09-16, 14:46
If it's just for range trips and classes just throw everything in an ILBE. My 9.5" SBR can fit in mine without breaking it down if I undo the center divider. You will still have tons of room left.

If you want to stay smaller I can recommend the Spech Ops brand T.H.E. pack. I used one from 2004-2006 in Iraq, it became my son's college pack last year and served as my BOB for all the time between, and went on many off road camping trips. It still serves him and he will carry it again this fall. Very tough little pack. You will need to break the SBR down for it to fit.

a0cake
05-15-16, 22:02
I can recommend something that fits all but one of your criteria -- namely, number 8. I know that's annoying. Sorry. IMO a bag is not the place to cut costs. There are some products for which a "buy it for life" strategy is best, and some products for which a "cut costs here" strategy is best. Packs fit in the former. A Mystery Ranch or Kifaru bag will in all likelihood be able to last two generations. I'm partial to Mystery Ranch. I'd check out either of these two bags -- one slightly smaller and one slightly larger.

Smaller:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/asap-pack

Larger:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/3-day-assault-pack

AKDoug
05-16-16, 01:21
I've been looking for the same thing, but I do not want to have anything in "tactical" colors. Two I have been looking at are the London Bridge "Slick" Three day assault bag http://lbtinc.com/1476anmand the Geiger Rig 1600 http://geigerrig.shptron.com/p/rig-1600-gunmetal-citrus?pp=40

The biggest issue is that I cannot get one hands-on in Alaska unless I just pony up the money and buy one. My LBT loadout bags are of awesome quality, so I'm leaning that direction right now.

jmnielsen
05-16-16, 03:17
I love my vertx gamut. Not super tactical but would easily carry that you want and then some.

quackhead
05-16-16, 20:29
Waterproof , made in USA, and sub $200 will not happen No bags are truly waterproof unless dive rated. You'll get water resistant- which will be fine for your needs. The USA / sub 200 may be an issue

SeriousStudent
05-16-16, 22:30
I can recommend something that fits all but one of your criteria -- namely, number 8. I know that's annoying. Sorry. IMO a bag is not the place to cut costs. There are some products for which a "buy it for life" strategy is best, and some products for which a "cut costs here" strategy is best. Packs fit in the former. A Mystery Ranch or Kifaru bag will in all likelihood be able to last two generations. I'm partial to Mystery Ranch. I'd check out either of these two bags -- one slightly smaller and one slightly larger.

Smaller:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/asap-pack

Larger:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/3-day-assault-pack

Agreed - Mystery Ranch is just about bombproof. I have one of their packs, and it's rock solid.

Good to see you back here, BTW.

noonesshowmonkey
05-16-16, 23:30
Hello folks, currently searching for a backpack for range trips/classes and so far no luck. I don't want to waste the money and buy another without any input or opinions. I'm looking for certain requirements as this will be my main.
4. Hold gear such as belt, kydex gun and mag holsters, eye/ear protection, MOLLE.
8. $200 or less.
9. Made in USA.

I recently went on bag-quest and came out with a Mystery Ranch 3-Day Assault Pack. The 3DAP is probably the best bag I've ever laid hands on, and I am a notorious finger-****er of people's gear. The tri-zip is incredibly useful, the pack itself is bombproof, and it stuns me with how well it carries due to the adjustable yoke. My ruck times went down and my post-ruck recovery was easier. They are a pretty penny, but it is rare in this world that you actually get everything you paid for, and the MR has come through for sure.

The 3DAP is 32 liters, and is a touch big for an EDC kind of bag. Their ASAP is 18L and probably a lot closer in size to what you want. The 3DAP is meant to contain sustainment gear, and thus has a lot more real estate.

D_M
05-17-16, 10:40
8. $200 or less.
9. Made in USA.

1. Might want to measure out your 10.5" SBR, because not all rifles are the same length, even with the same barrel.
3. Might want to get a specific pouch for that. Not many packs have magazine storage.
5. No backpack is waterproof, unless you want a Dry Sack with pack straps. You'll need a rain cover.
8. You may have to stretch your budget, unless you make some compromises.
9. At the $200 price point, you will find a good bit of packs Made in USA, but they won't have every requirement you want.

Titan74
05-17-16, 14:05
Camelbak Trizip would fit most of your criteria. It is cheaper equivalent to MR 3DAP, and if you look around the Trizip might fit your budget too. Your kit is going to be quite heavy, so you need a pack that has good suspension system, enough room and easy access to the items: Trizip/3DAP has all these features.

skylineracer329
05-19-16, 01:50
Might be better off getting a rifle bag instead. I can't think of anything under $200 that'll fit a broken down AR. That 5.11 rush 24 is a great bag.

I've got a rifle bag, that has back pack straps, that'll fit 2 AR's, mags, targets, ear/eye pro, cleaning kit, pistol and pistol mags. Not made in USA though

HardToHandle
05-19-16, 20:10
Neither are US made nor fully waterproof but otherwise close to the mission described.

Arcteryx Khard 30 -$360
Vanquest Ibex 30 - $180

They both will accommodate a broken down AR with no issues. I also have a sneaky bags messenger style bag that while has one strap, carries a broken down 10.5 and similar equipment.

tb-av
05-19-16, 21:25
There is a very good chance everything you mention will fit in a LowePro photog backpack. ... and it's set up for hydration.

You can get them any time used under $250... I found one like new for $85 at a thrift shop. I've got cameras in it though, I don;t know if it would hold a 10.5 the way you want but I -think- I could get my 11.5 in there some way if I really wanted to. But they also make larger versions. The whole thing is waterproof though and has a built in cover you can pull out. Nice padded straps and an adjustable height deal for how high it sits on your back.