PDA

View Full Version : Did Delta Ever Actually Use the Colt Hbar Rifle...?

SteyrAUG
05-10-16, 01:19
If so how long was it in service? And did they use the same Tasco 3-9 scope that was sold with the 6600DH / 6601DH rifles?

Just seems like a heavy rifle to be running around with. Or was it never more than a DMR like the SR-15 today?

Ed L.
05-10-16, 02:11
I am pretty sure that the "Delta Elite" was just a marketting name chosen by Colt for the 20" HBAR.

SteyrAUG
05-10-16, 03:41
I am pretty sure that the "Delta Elite" was just a marketting name chosen by Colt for the 20" HBAR.

But didn't Delta actually carry the 10mm DE 1911?

Moose-Knuckle
05-10-16, 04:55
I'd hit up LAV on his FB for this stuff. He posts daily there.

sniperfrog
05-10-16, 11:51
Some units with JSOC had some HBars back in the 90s that were used as sniper security rifles. They had the old school tube hand guards with some rails JB welded on and usually had a Leupold 1.5-5x scope. These were not Delta elites though because the lowers, I think, we're just m16 or m4.

soulezoo
05-10-16, 12:15
I didn't sleep at the Holiday Inn express or anything last night and am not pretending I know a lot here.

However, I was a C-141 flying crew chief and did fly some missions with Delta in the 90's. (No, I didn't get no stinking trigger time with them!) Anyway, I did try to pay close attention to what they were carrying. I didn't see any H-bars nor did I spot a 1911 DE. The 1911 I would have spotted and remembered as I had one of the first ones produced. (SN 002xx).

What I did see was a lot of M4's and M4's with the grenade launcher. Those few I saw with pistols had Berettas. What interested me more was the number of times they would be in civvies when dropped off or picked up. Not that the haircuts didn't give them away or anything. In short that contact was very limited and really doesn't mean a thing beyond anecdotal evidence.

soulezoo
05-10-16, 13:00

I think so too. That came out a while after the 1911 and had the same logo in the grip. That and the scope supplied I think was the only real difference between that and a regular H-bar.

SteyrAUG
05-10-16, 14:47
Some units with JSOC had some HBars back in the 90s that were used as sniper security rifles. They had the old school tube hand guards with some rails JB welded on and usually had a Leupold 1.5-5x scope. These were not Delta elites though because the lowers, I think, we're just m16 or m4.

Just to avoid confusion, "Delta Elite" referred specifically to the 10mm 1911 handgun. The rifle was never called "Delta Elite" it was called "Delta HBar."

I think so too. That came out a while after the 1911 and had the same logo in the grip. That and the scope supplied I think was the only real difference between that and a regular H-bar.

The Delta Hbar also had a unique DH suffix in the model number and a cheek riser. They were also shipped in a hard case.

Firefly
05-10-16, 15:21
I don't know if it was a Delta HBar, but weren't there pictures of some Marine guy in Panama with an A2 and a Cheekriser and a Leupold staged up on a roof?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/29/41/ae/2941ae057dc17c43c2323778f7f42877.jpg

Found it. That barrel looks govt profile though.

Sam
05-10-16, 15:31
How did Delta get guns named for them? United, American and Southwest must be extremely jealous.

SteyrAUG
05-10-16, 16:27
I don't know if it was a Delta HBar, but weren't there pictures of some Marine guy in Panama with an A2 and a Cheekriser and a Leupold staged up on a roof?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/29/41/ae/2941ae057dc17c43c2323778f7f42877.jpg

Found it. That barrel looks govt profile though.

Govt A2 and Hbars look identical. They are the same forward of the FSB. The difference is under the hand guards. Government profiles taper like a M4 barrel, Hbars are the same diameter all the way under the hand guards.

Hard to tell if it is the same cheek riser and scope from the picture.

Slater
05-10-16, 16:40
Heck, and I thought that HBAR's were just targeted to the civilian market. They used to be billed as competition rifles.

Firefly
05-10-16, 16:50
I guess if we were relegated to 80s tech, an Hbar rifle and a 3-9x40 would make a lot of sense for a DMR/SPR. M14s were around but if you're the only guy with a 308 and everyone else has 556 then it could be awkward in something protracted.

Despite the extra weight, it would retain accuracy a bit longer and take compatible magazines.

I, too, would love to hear from people of that era and some of the thought behind it.

SteyrAUG
05-10-16, 21:45
Heck, and I thought that HBAR's were just targeted to the civilian market. They used to be billed as competition rifles.

There were TWO Hbars (technically four if you count ones with and without bayo lugs). There was the standard Hbar which was just that and there was the Delta Hbar that came as a package with the Tasco scope, carry handle mount, cheek riser and case.

SteyrAUG
05-10-16, 21:53
I guess if we were relegated to 80s tech, an Hbar rifle and a 3-9x40 would make a lot of sense for a DMR/SPR. M14s were around but if you're the only guy with a 308 and everyone else has 556 then it could be awkward in something protracted.

Despite the extra weight, it would retain accuracy a bit longer and take compatible magazines.

I, too, would love to hear from people of that era and some of the thought behind it.

Looks like the Delta HBar (6600DH) weighed in at 10 lbs. and the M21/25 coming in near 12 lbs. The big difference of course would be ammo weight and the amount of rounds one could carry.

Hootiewho
05-11-16, 07:19
There were TWO Hbars (technically four if you count ones with and without bayo lugs). There was the standard Hbar which was just that and there was the Delta Hbar that came as a package with the Tasco scope, carry handle mount, cheek riser and case.

Also there was a 1:7 twist and a 1:9 twist Hbar if I am not mistaken. I have an preban 1:7 Hbar & my dad has a 1:9.

SteyrAUG
05-11-16, 14:58
Also there was a 1:7 twist and a 1:9 twist Hbar if I am not mistaken. I have an preban 1:7 Hbar & my dad has a 1:9.

Those would be the Sporter Competition HBars (6700/6700CH) but they had detachable carry handles.

HCM
05-11-16, 23:04
But didn't Delta actually carry the 10mm DE 1911?

No. They did not.

The Delta Elite Pistol and the Delta HBAR withe the Tasco 3-9 scope were both Colt marketing creations.

PS- I had a Delta Elite 1911 in the early 1990's. Great gun, on my "never should have sold" list.

SteyrAUG
05-11-16, 23:50
No. They did not.

The Delta Elite Pistol and the Delta HBAR withe the Tasco 3-9 scope were both Colt marketing creations.

PS- I had a Delta Elite 1911 in the early 1990's. Great gun, on my "never should have sold" list.

Interesting. I was willing to believe Delta might have used the rifle as a DMR, but I would have been amazed to learn they were running around with Tasco scopes. Btw, you do know that Colt is once again making the 10mm Delta Elite again right?

HCM
05-13-16, 00:56
Interesting. I was willing to believe Delta might have used the rifle as a DMR, but I would have been amazed to learn they were running around with Tasco scopes. Btw, you do know that Colt is once again making the 10mm Delta Elite again right?

Yes, and I still have two boxes of 10mm left over from my DE in the 1990's. That justifies a gun purchase, right ? They're only available in Stainless now though.

HCM
05-13-16, 01:09
The FB pages for Alias training, TMACS and Pat McNamara have some great pictures of the 1911's the unit guys ran and in Pat's case, a 1911 he had built as a duplicate of his "work gun".

They also briefly ran STI 2011's in .40. Not sure if the guns were leased or on extended T&E but when taken out of service, they were returned to STI and sold via STI LE/Military sales reps. They have adjustable night sights and are roll marked, if I recall correctly U.S. Tactical 5.0.

Grant would have better info than I.

More info here: http://weaponsman.com/?p=19436

We did some looking into this and the unit in question did indeed experiment with a batch of 60 STIs in .40 during the 2006-7 time frame. They ultimately decided not to go that way, and returned the guns to STI. Some of them were very worn and beat-up; STI went through them and then sold them as used through their distributors.

SteyrAUG
05-13-16, 02:12
Yes, and I still have two boxes of 10mm left over from my DE in the 1990's. That justifies a gun purchase, right ? They're only available in Stainless now though.

Actually I think it mandates the purchase. Justifies sounds like there is an option.