PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used kahr

boombotz401
05-10-16, 21:04
I've got a line on a kahr PM9 for $430, it's tempting, anyone seen a lower price?

I've always bought any gun new, what would I look for on a kahr? Any problem areas?

PM9 looked to be in very good condition with some wear marks around the front of the barrel and the action area. Any know a good way to estimate round count on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnt43
05-10-16, 21:29
You can get a CM9 new for that price.

HardToHandle
05-10-16, 21:30
Frame stretching seems to be an issue... I had major reliability issues with a PM9 above 5000 rounds. New springs made the FTF and occasional FTEs much worse. The PM9s also have reported reliability issues below freezing.

My experience across two Kahrs is lousy customer service and a manufacturing flaw in one, unreliability in the other.
Great form factor but not too reliable.

jbjh
05-11-16, 00:12
Sample of one, but I've had a P9 for 15 years, probably close to 7k rounds and I haven't had any issues.

boombotz401
05-11-16, 00:21
I have also considered the cm9 which I can purchase for $290 new, though it would be plastic sights and 1 mag. Add in 65 for sights and 25 for mag it's getting close to PM pricing

I was looking into the used pm9 because it came with steel sights 2 6rd mags and 1 7rd mag.

Thanks for the tip on the frame, I've searched excessively and haven't seen that yet.

I wouldn't mind a CM over a PM after a lot of searching, this gun will be once in a while carried and maybe 1-2k worth of rounds put through At most. Looks to fit a gap nicely a bit smaller than my 43

ggammell
05-11-16, 07:27
Re: customer service...

My rear sight drifted significantly. I asked them what press I should look for to get them realigned. They said send it in and they'd do it for free. Had it back inside 2 weeks I think. Seems stand up to me. I only paid shipping to them, they paid return shipping.

I've had a PM9 for 10 years. Only thing I learned late was use the slide release on slide lock reloads. Don't slingshot it. That solved the occasional fail to feed issue.

boombotz401
05-11-16, 07:31
That would be an issue since I'm left handed, you still get feed issues after broken in if slingshotted?

mattieb
05-11-16, 08:50
I had the cm45 and it had constant fail to feeds I put prob 700 rds through it just kept getting worse. I ended up selling it and got the Glock 43 to fill that roll

boombotz401
05-11-16, 08:54
I do have a g43,shield,p938,g26,s&w642 in the rotation

Reason for the PM9 was noticing how much smaller it was than all those, I'm thinking AIWB will be a bit easier

edgy12
05-11-16, 11:00
A used PM9 is the way to go because they take at least 1000 rounds to just loosen up a little. Nice little guns and very accurate if you do your part. Long, smooth DA sort of trigger.

boombotz401
05-11-16, 11:05
I'm going to take a ride up there and give it a more detailed check.

I'm okay with the trigger since I have a few j frames, I went in looking a kimber solo DC though reliability concerns led me to the kahr.

I'll try and post up a few photos of the PM9, beyond the breech face is there anywhere I pay attention to for an idea of round count?

boombotz401
05-11-16, 16:58
Gave it a detailed once over

The only thing I saw questionable was slight preening on the barrel hood, is this normal?

Called kahr on the s/n with a build date of 1/2014

The only thing that peeved me was kahr said if I purchased it used they would not warranty it, considering it still has 3 years left on warranty that soured me towards kahr

Lgs agreed that didn't sound right and put in an email to the rep, if there not going to stand by there products they don't have a spot in my safe, if so it'll be coming home

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/8847dce948a6d276204ae540a5a0841e.jpg

JasonB1
05-11-16, 18:28
I've had a PM9 for 10 years. Only thing I learned late was use the slide release on slide lock reloads. Don't slingshot it. That solved the occasional fail to feed issue.

Learned that too.

An issue I have had with mine and 90's era E9 was rounds popping out of spare mags while being carried, pocket or leather & Kydex pouches. Not all the time, but it happens and a friend who was in to them said it was not unheard of.

Not a terrible pistol, but best I can recall it was the only micro sized 9mm when I bought it and have to say Glock 43 and others seem to have fewer quirks now.

JasonB1
05-11-16, 18:35
I do have a g43,shield,p938,g26,s&w642 in the rotation

Reason for the PM9 was noticing how much smaller it was than all those, I'm thinking AIWB will be a bit easier

Not a huge difference on AIWB between the G43 & the PM9.

PM9 shorter slide is a bit easier to pocket carry though.

boombotz401
05-11-16, 19:11
That was my thought aswell, my 43 is a little to big for pocket

My p938 is an excellent size and I liked that the pm9 was the same exact size without a saftey and a more rounded design, I like to have options

firefighter37
05-11-16, 22:16
When buying a used Kahr, you should check the KahrFax... Sorry I had to. I had a Kahr PM9 that I bought brand new. It was flawless from round 1-2000, and then I sold it. The only reason I sold it was because I was offered more than what I paid for it. I loved the gun, I had no problems with it, except I hated the design of the recoil spring. I pocket carried the PM9 with no problems, and I am not a large framed person. I am a Glock guy and when the G43 came out I got that, and pocket carry that. I know of many CM9s and PM9s owned by friends that are flawless as well. I would not hesitate to buy that PM9 for $340, as the only thing I didn't like about the PM9 new, was the price.

boombotz401
05-11-16, 22:20
I worked out a deal for a Trijicon RMR and about 50$ for it.

It's going to come down to kahr honoring the warranty,doing some more searching I saw they came out with the gen2 but not in pm9.

The gen 2 has a reversible mag release, major points for me being lefty. I'm going to call in the morning and see if those are coming soon if at all.

I'll ask my LGS for a kahrfax haha

Double3
05-12-16, 08:10
I have a PM9 and it is a nice little gun. Only time I use it is for pocket carry, which isn't all that often.

Shot some reloads in it that I knew nothing about and one of them blew the extractor right off. They took it in on warranty and I'm pretty sure sent it back with a new slide.

I've heard over the years people complain about not being able to sling shot a Kahr PM9. I've never had an issue with it.

LDM
05-12-16, 13:44
Not knowing how many round went down the tube, I'd recommend replacing the recoil spring.
As previously mentioned, use the slide release, don't slingshot.
Check Kahr forum for a light and simple modification of magazine follower to enhance reliability. If there is a feed problem, good chance this will solve it. If there isn't, it is good insurance.
The PM9 is an elegant solution... but does require a bit more attention than average.
I had one for years; in a Galco Ankle Glove it was my summer carry. (BTW if you are interested in this holster and some mags PM me)
I recently sold my PM9. It had sat for a couple years after I evolved to carrying a Walther PPS in a IWB holster.
Good luck.

wanderson
05-13-16, 01:17
I had the cm45 and it had constant fail to feeds I put prob 700 rds through it just kept getting worse. I ended up selling it and got the Glock 43 to fill that roll

I had the same experience with a PM45, after 500 rounds there wasn't any brand of ammo it'd feed reliably, 185 gr FMJ seemed to be the best but the issue seemed to be in the mags, when it failed the round would come up too high out of the magazine and wedge on the top edge of the chamber. 3 factory 5 round mags, a factory +1 and a factory +2 mag all did the same. Shame, it was an accurate gun with a smooth trigger, but never was 100% reliable.

boombotz401
05-13-16, 01:23
Thanks everyone for all the tips!

I've never bought a used gun and something tells me not too even though it's in good condition and I trust my LGS. I have not been back in there to see if the warranty is going to be honored.

I think I'm going to utilize my NRA instructor discount and buy new so there are no concerns if it was tinkered with or warranty issues.

1_click_off
05-13-16, 20:28
Not so much in your case, but for others buying a used Kahr. The refurbished kahr's have a "P" ( I think) stamped into the trigger guard. They also come with fewer mags, maybe just one.

I have a PM45 that I have had several issues with. Mostly the recoil spring was cut too long. My PM9 with a crimson trace has been great. I would not buy a used one though. Customer service sent me a new recoil spring for the 45 and said it was trim to length. $700 pistol and they can't correctly trim a spring at the factory???

boombotz401
05-13-16, 20:32
Hmm I didn't know that about the refurb.

I'm going in tomorrow to see about the warranty, I'm really diggin the size of the pistol so if they won't warranty the used pistol (which I honestly think is bad buisness) I'll buy new

I'm more into the black anyways and the used is stainless

Any specific reason you wouldn't buy used?

jbjh
05-14-16, 01:37

I'm going in tomorrow to see about the warranty, I'm really diggin the size of the pistol so if they won't warranty the used pistol (which I honestly think is bad buisness) I'll buy new

Not to be dishonest, but why bother to tell them it's a second-hand gun? You bought it, it's your gun, send it in for repairs if needed. Seeing as you'll need a RMA from them, just state the problems, and ship (maybe the seller can give you a purchase date).

boombotz401
05-14-16, 01:42
Not to be dishonest, but why bother to tell them it's a second-hand gun? You bought it, it's your gun, send it in for repairs if needed. Seeing as you'll need a RMA from them, just state the problems, and ship (maybe the seller can give you a purchase date).

I called Kahr with the s/n asking for information on the pistol if it had been in for service and the build date

Indeed I realize how would they even know, lgs said this aswell. The warranty card is still in the box. If the previous owner sent it in for service (I wasn't able to find out) the warranty would be void if I needed to send it in id assume.

1_click_off
05-14-16, 12:21

I wouldn't buy used because kahr's seem to be love it or hate it guns. If someone is selling, they are most likely in the hate em category and have issues with them. they seem to be made with tight tolerances and simple things like dropping the slide on a chambered round is not recommended as it can damage the extractor. They have a relief panel on the side to vent excess gas pressure in a failure. My dad had his blow off, still won't tell me how he did it. But they seem to be a little finicky. Some that have issues are most likely ammo combinations, but some are touchy.

El Pistolero
05-14-16, 18:10
I bought a used CW9 and put 2K rounds through it with no failures whatsoever, and no problems slingshotting the slide either. Tight tolerances and stiff springs are the norm for Kahrs but after break-in they are great, reliable guns. They like to be well-oiled, FYI.