PDA

View Full Version : If you had it do again....

Ernst
05-11-16, 12:06
Just picked up a BCM OEM complete rifle from Brownells, sans butt stock and forend.

If you had it to do over again...

What would you go with for butt stock and forend, and why?

boombotz401
05-11-16, 12:09
I usually go with BCM stocks since there light and offer a nice check weld

Handguard stage KMR is second to none IMO, though there's nothing wrong with the MOE if you don't want to free float

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
05-11-16, 12:43
BCM stock
BCM Grip
Centurion 9" C4 Rail (or midlength cut out if they ever started making them again)

In fact, I wish I hadn't sold the one I had. USO 1-8, M600U, and a DBAL I2 Single spectrum. Best do-all weapons system, period.

Hmac
05-11-16, 12:47
I've always used VLTOR iMod stocks, but now prefer the ugly BCM stock. I originally preferred DD Lite quad rails, then found the Noveske NSR to be a revelation, then found the BCM KMR to be substantially better. I guess it sounds like I'm some kind of BCM fanboy, but I'm really not...just made those choices because they seemed like good ones, and that turned out to be true.

jhr1986
05-11-16, 12:56
Favorites right now:

BCM gunfighter stock
Magpul K2 grip
Magpul moe SL handguard for fsb guns
BCM KMR for FF guns

556BlackRifle
05-11-16, 13:23
My three favorites in no particular order:

Handguard: I love skinny rails. NSR for KeyMod or Erath3 M-Lok are my current favorites. Also love my Geissele MK8 which is beefier.

Grip: BCM GF Mod 0, Mod 1 or Mod 3.

Stock: Vltor EMOD. Also like B5 SOPMOD Enhanced or Bravo and Rogers Super Stoc Deluxe.

Firefly
05-11-16, 13:24
Part of me actually wants a bone stock carbine with the factory Colt stock and handguard.

Otherwise, CTR or BCM and some kind of URX.

Uprange41
05-11-16, 13:27
BCM stock
BCM Grip
Centurion 9" C4 Rail (or midlength cut out if they ever started making them again)

This.

The FNG
05-11-16, 13:41
I really like the imod. I have 3 of them. I'm not sure why, but they fit tight and fit me well. I haven't tried a ton of other ones.

For rails, I like the NSR and the KMR. The KMR installs better IMO, but I had the KMRA and it seemed to not be as strong as my NSR. However, the KMR has more mounting options.

I also have a LaRue quad rail that is pretty sweet, but much heavier in comparison.

JasonB1
05-11-16, 14:14
B5 bravo butt is my overall favorite.

Would have been happy with the BCM butt I have if it wasn't as loose as a standard N or M4 butt.

CRAMBONE
05-11-16, 14:15
Magpul MOE or CTR
BCM KMR
BCM pistol grip

the automator
05-11-16, 15:24
B5 SOPMOD
Tango Down BG16
Geissele SMR MK1 or 2

titsonritz
05-11-16, 17:43
BCM GF Stock
B5 Systems P-Grip 23
KAC URX 3.1 5.56

TMS951
05-11-16, 17:50
Centurian C4 rail. Ease of install and quality. No need to change barrel nut. Its good looks help too.

Tangodown BG17 grip. Fits my hand great, nice large storage space. Also easy on the Eyes.

B5 sopmod. Great price, great cheek weld, good storage, tight fit to RE and a classic look to it.

My second choice on for end would be the Troy Mlok rail. I like everything about it but the lock up system is mediocre, it only has anti rotation one way. Both these rail recommendations are based on a standard mil spec barrel nut that comes on the OEM. If I was building from the ground up I would not choose either of these. If the BCM OEM has a FSB and not a lo pro gas block dis regard my Troy recommendation. The Centurion is the only one I would use in that case.

I own everything I have recommend.

Dionysusigma
05-11-16, 17:52
M4 handguards
M4 stock
Magpul MOE+ grip

Nothing else really seems to feel right to me.

TMS951
05-11-16, 18:00
I see many people recommending rails that require a different barrel nut. I think taking apart the upper is silly and misses the point of the OEM.

The DD lite III rail
Geisele SMR
BCM KMR

Are all much better rails than anything that attaches to the Mil spec barrel nut. But if you are going to go this route I think its easier, cheaper and better to buy a complete lower and build an upper. The whole idea of the OEM, to me at least, is a factory built gun you can customize and not have to disassemble.

Ernst
05-11-16, 18:08
I see many people recommending rails that require a different barrel nut. I think taking apart the upper is silly and misses the point of the OEM.

The DD lite III rail
Geisele SMR
BCM KMR

Are all much better rails than anything that attaches to the Mil spec barrel nut. But if you are going to go this route I think its easier, cheaper and better to buy a complete lower and build an upper. The whole idea of the OEM, to me at least, is a factory built gun you can customize and not have to disassemble.

I appreciate your remark, I was wondering about that too. I have no interest in having to disassemble anything just to put a rail and butt stock on the thing. :)

stank
05-11-16, 18:47
If that was me I would put a BCM stock on it. Both of my ARs have em. For a rail that uses the GI barrel nut any of the Troy offering will serve you well if you want a less expensive non-quad rail, or get a 12 inch centurion quad rail that will cost about 100.00 more. I would get one the Troy rails personally. Less weight (i think), longer rails and cost less too.

Nightstalker865
05-11-16, 18:57
MagPul SL stock.
Centurion C4 12" rail.

Rock solid setup that will do anything you need it to.

OP: keep in mind you might need to apply loctite to the set screws on the gas block. Looking at the description on Grants page, it mentions this. Apparently they didn't do it from the factory to allow easy install of any rail the buyer might purchase. Smart on their end, as that saves the buyer a lot of headache, if they want something that uses a different barrel nut.

Zirk208
05-11-16, 19:22
Stock: B5 SOPMOD, great cheek weld, locks up solid,
Forend: BCM KMR-A, lightweight, feels solid,

If you want to retain a stock nut and keep it simple, then maybe a drop-in Daniel Defense Omega rail.

sasage
05-11-16, 19:30
I like the MOE SL stock or CTR. MLOK front or Lw pic

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Tzook
05-11-16, 19:43
SOPMOD, KMR. Period. Quality sling, red dot sight and a quality white light and your carbine is complete.

Uprange41
05-11-16, 20:46

Yeah, I thought that was the point of the question as well.

If you're taking apart a gun, might as well buy the upper with the rail.

I could live very happily with a 9" C4 (happier with their FSP).

556BlackRifle
05-11-16, 21:08
I appreciate your remark, I was wondering about that too. I have no interest in having to disassemble anything just to put a rail and butt stock on the thing. :)

Well you should've asked your question differently. :) You asked us: "If you had it to do over again...

What would you go with for butt stock and forend, and why?"

Most of us answered everything except for the why.

Swapping out parts on an AR is like tinker toys. It's fun. It's an adventure. And it's cool! Just go for it. :)

tmanker
05-11-16, 21:11
SOPMOD, KMR. Period. Quality sling, red dot sight and a quality white light and your carbine is complete.

Very close for me too. B5 Bravo with KMR, vcas sling, micro t1, surefire light.

contax_shooter
05-11-16, 21:26
Buy complete BCM rifles from the get go and stay with 16" unpinned barrels, B5 SOPMOD or BCM stocks, standardized Geissele barrel nuts across all platforms.

joeyjoe
05-13-16, 19:21
I prefer the the B5 Bravo stock. Regarding rails, I prefer the DD LITE III rail (not into LITE I or LITE II rails, only LITE III due to the low profile and weight of the rail). If you want to go the Keymod route, BCM KMR is the way i'd go. If i didn't want to change out the barrel nut and had a carbine length gas system (don't know gas system length of your rifle), I'd just drop in the KAC RAS. As far as pinned and welded 14.5" barrels go, I'm actually a big fan. I know what i want. A mid length gas gun with either a DD LITE III or a BCM KMR (depends on role of rifle) would keep me happy forever. I'd either pin and weld an A2X or a fairly mild comp. That said, if I wasn't sure exactly what i wanted, i'd go 16" middy. best of luck.

AKDoug
05-14-16, 00:00
I've built a dozen AR's.. I keep coming back to my DDM4V7 with the smooth MFR fore end. Mounted a DD fixed front sight, a (gasp) matech rear sight, Aimpoint Pro, a TRL1 wml, a B5 Sopmod stock, and a BF Vickers sling. It's been GTG for years and thousands of rounds.

One day I will build a KMR rifle, but it's going to be a while.

Blak1508
05-14-16, 00:38
Magpul STR, is the stock I keep going back to, I have tried all the flavors out there but just dig the cheek wield on the STR. Next up would be the B5 enhanced SOPMOD. I have a Magpul SL-S on preorder though. It appears to have a nice cheek wield, in addition storage for a small bottle of lube or extra bolt etc. We shall see. As far as rails, I know their heavy but I am partial to the Geissele MK1 or the revised MK4, beautiful and bombproof. If I wanted to save on weight and bulk, no question, KMR amazing rail. Put a Savvy Sniper sling with a mount and slot 2-1, add a nice RD or Holo and I am GTG.

awdxtc
05-15-16, 16:36
B5 sopmod enhanced
Magpul miad
Bcm kmr

Ernst
05-17-16, 11:10
I wanted to follow up and report on what I went with. I picked up a Centurian C4 12" rail here for $215 shipped and went with the B5 Sopmod Bravo.

All in all, I now have a BCM rifle for right at $1100.

Sweet.

TMS951
05-17-16, 15:34
Awesome. You went about it the right way. Well done, sounds like a nice rifle at a great price.

Only thing I'd add now is geisele g2s trigger. Or an ssa-e if you want to spend a little more. Some people like mil spec triggers. I'm not one of them.

556BlackRifle
05-17-16, 18:06
Congrats Ernst. Sounds like you have a nice rifle. Let us know how it shoots!

Ernst
05-17-16, 19:01
Awesome. You went about it the right way. Well done, sounds like a nice rifle at a great price.

Only thing I'd add now is geisele g2s trigger. Or an ssa-e if you want to spend a little more. Some people like mil spec triggers. I'm not one of them.

I'm going to wait and see how I like the BCM PNT trigger group before I consider changing it. I've never minded mil-spec triggers, frankly, but I do like Geissele triggers. I have one in my other AR.

Eurodriver
05-18-16, 09:42
I'm going to wait and see how I like the BCM PNT trigger group before I consider changing it. I've never minded mil-spec triggers, frankly, but I do like Geissele triggers. I have one in my other AR.

Certainly shoot it before dropping $300 on a trigger, especially since you have the PNT. You did well. The C4 is my favorite quad rail, and the B5 Bravo is good kit.

Now you need another $5k on troy BUIS and a T1, BCM VFG, and Surefire M600V, DBAL-A3, and NODS ;)

adh
05-18-16, 11:14
Just picked up a BCM OEM complete rifle from Brownells, sans butt stock and forend.

If you had it to do over again...

What would you go with for butt stock and forend, and why?

IMO stocks and forends are like holsters.....have to find which one you like and works for you the best as long as it's quality equipment

Personally I own B5 SOPMOD bravo and enhanced, Magpul STR, Magpul SL, and Vltor Imod...I like them all depending on which platform they're riding....will likely be checking out the new BCM Mod 1 stock once it's released

Forend depends on preference as well....picatiny, M-lok, keymod, if you arent set up for one over the other then whichever is quality and you like the best....for a railed forearm I prefer something skinny over fat so I'd personally be looking at the ALG EMR (probably a V3) but I own a couple of troy VTACs as well as a KAC and a surefire (both quad rails on guns with FSBs)...for me next rail is either going to be an ALG EMR or an Erathr3 rail...might also replace the troy VTAC on my 10.3 with the Troy 9" M-lok rail

KalashniKEV
05-18-16, 12:40
My favorite for general use is:

DD Omega
Magpul MIAD
Magpul CTR

(You didn't tell us if this rifle had any specific application)

Ernst
05-18-16, 16:03
You didn't tell us if this rifle had any specific application)

Correct

Firefly
05-18-16, 17:13
Not trying to be a smart alec, but you can always switch a stock.

Generally I like the LMT stock for all around, the ACS for a 762, and the CTR if I want something light and no nonsense.

For a basic Carbine, I actually really like the normal Colt stock. While it can get wobbly over time, it just feels more natural.

As for grips I like either Tango Down, MIAD, or a good ol' A1.

Ernst
05-28-16, 09:58
Reporting back in...

Just installed my Century Arm C4 rail on the BCM OEM 16" Recce and it could not have been any easier! Excellent fit and finish.

http://i.imgur.com/1sLtxHnh.jpg

Joelski
05-28-16, 10:10
What difference does it make?

Ernst
05-28-16, 11:20
Way to read the thread first.

:)

MWAG19919
05-29-16, 11:03
Honest question: why does everyone love the C4?

jstalford
05-29-16, 11:30
BCM stock
BCM Grip

In fact, I wish I hadn't sold the one I had. USO 1-8, M600U, and a DBAL I2 Single spectrum. Best do-all weapons system, period.

AFAIK the mid cutout is still available.

Honest question: why does everyone love the C4?

Best stock nut attachment method, easy to install, robust, not a pig.

Ernst
05-29-16, 12:11
AFAIK the mid cutout is still available.

Best stock nut attachment method, easy to install, robust, not a pig.

This!!

MWAG19919
05-29-16, 12:44
Okay, I kinda get what you're saying. I only own one AR and it came as a complete KMR upper, so I have no familiarity with barrel nuts. One of my shooting buddies has a complete DD M4V5LW upper with the quad rail. Does that one use a proprietary barrel nut, or is it just heavier/less robust than a C4?

MWAG19919
05-29-16, 14:02
To the OP, I'd probably stick with the magnesium KMR next time around, but I'd get a 13" instead of the 15" I have. I'd go with the BCM stock I have too because I like the cheek weld, but I like the adjustment & locking design of the CTR I used to use better.

sbrown3
05-29-16, 14:04
It does use a proprietary barrel nut, but it's actually lighter and more robust than a C4. Daniel Defense is known for having (arguably) one of the MOST robust mounting systems out there.

Ernst
05-29-16, 14:14
To the OP, I'd probably stick with the magnesium KMR next time around, but I'd get a 13" instead of the 15" I have. I'd go with the BCM stock I have too because I like the cheek weld, but I like the adjustment & locking design of the CTR I used to use better.

You are late to the party, pal.

I do not like KMR rails.

MWAG19919
05-29-16, 14:17
I do. Question wasn't what should YOU do, but what would WE do. I felt like my C4 question was off topic so I thought it would be nice of me to answer the original question.

Joelski
05-29-16, 15:17
Your favorite rail sucks.

Wake27
05-29-16, 16:33
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/eff94a19bbbc2076d0e80f4a3f744904.jpg

Good call OP. For a free floating rail with the standard but, C4 is the way to go.

Ernst
05-29-16, 16:35

Thanks for your well informed, expert opinion. ;)

TheNegativeOne
05-29-16, 21:23
Why would someone not like kmr? I have the 15" with a magpul afg and a MI hand guard. Its light and comfortable. Hell i like the magpul moe stock as well.

TheNegativeOne
05-31-16, 08:06
Whoa whoa, pump your brakes sir. A sense of humor can be a bannable offense.

Hammered_Pair
06-01-16, 17:04
I decided on a whim to buy one of the Colt M4 Expanse models to build on, LGS was out of OEM1 and OEM2 Colt's.

After all the changes I probably would have been better off with a 6920, lol.

As soon as it went home it grew a forward assist and dust cover.

The parts I had laying around in the box o' parts:

Colt N marked CAR stock
BCM charging handle
BCM fire control group
Colt M16 BCG
Magpul grip
BCM QD receiver end plate
and older Blackhawk rail system
Magpul MBUIS rear sight

So with a few changes I almost have the rifle I should have bought to start with, lol.

ExplorinInTheWoods
06-01-16, 17:55
I like Troy Rails, they utillize a standard barrel nut so for those oem rifles you just slide the troy rails right on. The Alpha rails are light and aren't too thin for my hands, the bravo quad rails are light despite being quad rails.