PDA

View Full Version : bent then fixed BCM upper receiver assembly g2g?

strider51
05-13-16, 18:47
When attempting to tighten an upper in a vice, the upper was placed in the vice incorrectly. The upper was slightly crushed (almost not noticeable). The bolt could still be manipulated with the charging handle, but there was noticeable friction, with the forward assist necessary to put the bolt into battery.

I took the upper, and applied pressure from the inside out to slightly open the upper. Bolt now moves easily much like a spec upper. The ejection port rod had to be straightened as well as the ejection port cover.

Head-space was checked as a precaution, and the Rifle functions well with the upper.
It looks to all be in spec, and it's now unnoticeable to the human eye that the upper was ever bent.

Since this is the first time i've had to fix an upper in this manner, my question is:

Does anyone have long term experience with this type of corrected issue, is there something I may have forgotten to check.
Would you have any concerns with this upper?

Thank you

nolt
05-13-16, 21:07
I'd get a new upper.

(but to be honest I don't have experience shooting uppers that have been crushed in a vice, mostly because I haven't crushed one but I've done far more stupid things than crush things in vices... mainly because they're too cheap to worry about it. it'll never be the same as an uncrushed upper.)

556BlackRifle
05-14-16, 00:13
Might work okay but l'd replace it. Call it stupid tax. God knows I've paid my fair share. ;)

MistWolf
05-14-16, 00:56
When attempting to tighten an upper in a vice, the upper was placed in the vice incorrectly. The upper was slightly crushed (almost not noticeable). The bolt could still be manipulated with the charging handle, but there was noticeable friction, with the forward assist necessary to put the bolt into battery.

I took the upper, and applied pressure from the inside out to slightly open the upper. Bolt now moves easily much like a spec upper. The ejection port rod had to be straightened as well as the ejection port cover.

Head-space was checked as a precaution, and the Rifle functions well with the upper.
It looks to all be in spec, and it's now unnoticeable to the human eye that the upper was ever bent.

Since this is the first time i've had to fix an upper in this manner, my question is:

Does anyone have long term experience with this type of corrected issue, is there something I may have forgotten to check.
Would you have any concerns with this upper?

Thank you

I acquired an Aero Precision upper that had been similarly damaged. It also had a few gouges. I straightened out the dent, blended the gouges, installed a 10.5 inch barrel and ran several hundred rounds through it. No signs of galling or cracking or malfunctions. Someday I'll replace the upper, but for now, it shoots like it should.

Shoot it today ands worry about ordering a replacement tomorrow

Slvr Surfr
05-15-16, 12:32
If it grenades, it gonna be right by your face. To cheap to not replace, and its cheaper than facial reconstruction.

+1 on stupid tax / shit happens.

Scrubber3
05-15-16, 13:17
If anything, id imagine it'll just not cycle properly. I say shoot it and see. As long as the chamber is good, you should be fine.

AKDoug
05-15-16, 22:29
If it grenades, it gonna be right by your face. To cheap to not replace, and its cheaper than facial reconstruction.

+1 on stupid tax / shit happens.

There will be no grenading in regards to the damage the OP has described in normal firing circumstances. The pressure is completely contained within the bolt face and the chamber in the barrel. My only concern would be in reliable function, but I bet that straightening it will result in many years of safe service.