PDA

View Full Version : BCM Flat Dark Earth Bolt Carrier Group - Is this a new product?

patriot_man
05-14-16, 04:30
I was on BCM's site today looking to pick up some small parts and some spares and noticed this:

BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto - FLAT DARK EARTH-IB

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-FDE-p/bcm-bcg-auto-mp-fde-ib.htm

Strangely I have never heard of it before. Is this is a new product or have I just been out of the loop? lol.

Leonidas24
05-14-16, 05:52
It's ionbond, and yes companies have been doing this to pistol slides for years. Neat that BCM picked up on it for their BCG's.

Beat Trash
05-14-16, 07:57
I'm glad to see an IB bolt carrier that is finished in some color other than a chrome.

But after reading the product description it appears that the bolt is not ion bonded.

Eurodriver
05-14-16, 08:29
I hope this isn't indicative of BCM transitioning from function to form...

opngrnd
05-14-16, 08:38
I have one of the BCM Cerakote MicroSlick BCGs that G&R sold up until recently. I'm VERY happy with it. If the IB is anything like it, it's a win-win. It seems like lube just goes farther with the coating. While I haven't tried the IB bcg myself, when I asked Grant if he preferred the IB or MicroSlick version he replied that "both are good".

I have almost 2000 rounds through the middie with the aforementioned bcg without cleaning and it's still functioning great.

Edit: I still put a couple drops of lube through the gas exhaust holes in the carrier most of the times I go to the range.

masenomics
05-14-16, 09:51

^^^This.

Fatorangecat
05-14-16, 13:38
I wish all the manufacturers would quit with the logos. A nice home built AR ends up looking like something on a nascar track with all the logos.

GH41
05-14-16, 15:07

Followed by to hell in a handbasket!

Blak1508
05-14-16, 20:21
Try to relax all and step away from the edge, we will get through this blasphemy. Ha, no for real though maybe they were contracted to develop some carriers with the ion FDE finish and with the market the way it is now, decided to offer some up to the public and see the response. I'll be willing to bet that this is limited stock or a limited run, I could be wrong.

intense
05-14-16, 20:34
Great, now it's going to take two hours to get the wife out the door to the range while she color coordinates bcgs, shoes and purses.

dhena81
05-14-16, 20:50
BCM had IB BCG's years ago this one is just not black like they were in 08, 09, or whenever I first remember seeing them on their site.

Alnamvet68
05-14-16, 21:33
I don't know if those FDE BCG's were a limited run, but what I have noticed is that BCM has not offered a ion bond BCG for months; the FDE one on the web site has been out of stock since I first saw them last Fall.

Benito
05-14-16, 22:07
Hot dang. Now I'll have to sell all my phosphate BCM BCGs and get these puppies. Ok, maybe not, but I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind in my weaker moments.

Slvr Surfr
05-15-16, 12:17
Great, now it's going to take two hours to get the wife out the door to the range while she color coordinates bcgs, shoes and purses.

Nah, just keep the dust cover closed. She'll never know! :cool:

1911-A1
05-16-16, 11:20

I think they value their reputation too much for something that drastic.

If they can do something simple like this to keep the hobbyists AND pros happy without sacrificing quality, why not do it?

jurassic
05-16-16, 12:18
I've had one before, the Ionbond is slick as snot and very hard. I hope they offer them again.

Flankenstein
05-16-16, 12:36

Right... "the wife"

Leuthas
05-16-16, 13:36
Right... "the wife"

I'm gonna run my two-tone FDE/Black AR today, so I think the Khakis are best suited with a black shirt, black belt and black sunglasses. But... do I choose the FDE boots or the Black Boots? ack, I wish there wasn't so much pressure to dress up for this. I'll bring both pairs in my Multicam range bag.

Okay honey I'm ready; but first, let me take a selfie.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e15/10952541_856452067753005_1288549977_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=OTMxMjQ0MDkzNDkwNDI2NTg3.2

thei3ug
05-16-16, 15:28
My wife was almost late for steel this Saturday... She wanted to make sure her pants matched her jersey. I made it worse by turning off the car and arguing over her putting on something practical.

If they ever do PVD BCGs again, they better do them in red or we'll never make it.

elephantrider
05-16-16, 16:27
I'm glad to see an IB bolt carrier that is finished in some color other than a chrome.

But after reading the product description it appears that the bolt is not ion bonded.

Errrr, chrome IonBond? Typically IonBond is black, are you thinking of the companies that use the really blingy gold?
BCM put out IonBond BCGs years ago where everything was treated in black, carrier, bolt, gas key, and firing pin. IMO, the IonBond really isn't worth the extra cost compared to a standard BCG.

Stickman
05-16-16, 20:58

Right, that is exactly what they are doing. They are going to throw their QC steps out the window and switch to nail polish on the BCM receivers. :p

I think we are all safe. Seriously, how did you even come up with that idea?

Eurodriver
05-17-16, 06:01
Seriously, how did you even come up with that idea?

Dear Stickman,

My only point was that I hope BCM does not go down the road of form over function in order to chase the market of "unique" AR15 modifications...and if they hadn't altered one of their flagship products this wouldn't be a discussion.

Best Regards,

Your BFF4E

Joelski
05-17-16, 06:17
That escalated quickly...

DreadPirateMoyer
05-17-16, 06:56
:eek:

pag23
05-17-16, 08:21
I can't see BCM sending out a product without it being a quality product...

Skyyr
05-17-16, 08:44
Dear Stickman...

Oh my...

sevenhelmet
05-17-16, 08:50
That escalated quickly...

I actually thought Euro was very restrained in his response.

I don't think BCM would be stupid about this- the people who are their main customers would cut their rep to ribbons at the first sign of any decrease in reliability. Nobody's more fickle about product quality than a bunch of gun guys.

Joelski
05-17-16, 08:58
I actually thought Euro was very restrained in his response.

I don't think BCM would be stupid about this- the people who are their main customers would cut their rep to ribbons at the first sign of any decrease in reliability. Nobody's more fickle about product quality than a bunch of gun guys.

Agreed. I've seen jihads declared over everything from scratches to out-of-spec parts from top tier suppliers, but dogging a person over individualism things like a color is not wise. We have Russia and the Colt-or-die guys for that.

Eurodriver
05-17-16, 09:14
I don't think BCM would be stupid about this.

Neither do I, and while I quoted Stickman in my response that post could be generally stated to many others made in this thread. It was not intended to single him out, despite him singling me out ;)

Is BCM offering an FDE BCG a problem? Of course not. FDE anything is cool. I wish BCM had FDE receivers to be frank. My original reply was merely expressing hope that BCM continue with their tradition for reliable excellence and not go down the market path of least resistance.

I doubt anyone here can disagree with that? I wasn't trying to start a firestorm or imply that BCMs FDE BCGs were of dubious quality.

sevenhelmet
05-17-16, 11:22
I'm just annoyed they're out of stock, which is par for my course... :p

Iraqgunz
05-17-16, 12:30
Everyone please step into a stall of their gender choice and remove the panties from the crack. Then let's focus on the original topic at hand.

C4IGrant
05-17-16, 13:14
I'm just annoyed they're out of stock, which is par for my course... :p

They were never in stock. New product that isn't ready to be shipped yet.

C4

joeyjoe
05-17-16, 13:47
Grant, do you know if BCM is going to offer the Ion Bond BCG in a regular black/parkerized format (like they did years back) or will the Ion Bond just be the new FDE BCG's?

C4IGrant
05-17-16, 13:48
Grant, do you know if BCM is going to offer the Ion Bond BCG in a regular black/parkerized format (like they did years back) or will the Ion Bond just be the new FDE BCG's?

We do not know (sorry).

C4

C4IGrant
06-02-16, 11:51
These are now in stock!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCM-BCG-FDE

C4

imperials
06-24-16, 23:45
I got mine!!!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h255/ss62vert/00B8780F-CFCB-4581-95B1-044D3D03B093_zpskqa3gblf.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/ss62vert/media/00B8780F-CFCB-4581-95B1-044D3D03B093_zpskqa3gblf.jpg.html)

LaserTag
09-28-16, 17:57
I received one today. By FAR the worst machining I've ever seen on any bcg. The entire carrier has circular machining groves, the finish is not very slick and arrived worn off on two bottom edges, the color is more like brown, the bolt face and ejector finish are worn, and the staking is simply decent. For $200 it's piss poor tbh. I've never seen a bcm bcg in person, but it would seem they are using sub standards for their more expensive bcg. I've seen a number of others unsatisfied with what they got. I certainly haven't been too pleased with several "high end" bcg's. I can give feedback on others if interested.

Leaveammoforme
09-28-16, 18:06
I received one today. By FAR the worst machining I've ever seen on any bcg. The entire carrier has circular machining groves, the finish is not very slick and arrived worn off on two bottom edges, the color is more like brown, the bolt face and ejector finish are worn, and the staking is simply decent. For $200 it's piss poor tbh. I've never seen a bcm bcg in person, but it would seem they are using sub standards for their more expensive bcg. I've seen a number of others unsatisfied with what they got. I certainly haven't been too pleased with several "high end" bcg's. I can give feedback on others if interested.

Safe to assume you contacted BCM? Pictures don't seem to be loading.

LaserTag
09-28-16, 18:17
Safe to assume you contacted BCM? Pictures don't seem to be loading.

Just got it and I'm on an Xbox.

After cleaning the cam pin has almost no coating. It has a camo look it's so light. The chrome looked good but I didn't stick a light in there to really examine it.

PaLEOjd
09-28-16, 18:44
Dear Stickman,

My only point was that I hope BCM does not go down the road of form over function in order to chase the market of "unique" AR15 modifications...and if they hadn't altered one of their flagship products this wouldn't be a discussion.

Best Regards,

Your BFF4E

Not going to happen and should not even be in question....BCM is a top notch company and will continue to produce the same quality they always have, color doesn't matter and will not and should not affect anything.

Press Check
09-29-16, 14:10
Why does BCM apply the IonBond over a phosphate finish?

sevenhelmet
09-29-16, 16:52

That's surprising- None of my BCGs/Bolts from BCM have any of these issues. Have you given them a chance to make it right?

firefighter37
09-29-16, 17:07
I'm gonna run my two-tone FDE/Black AR today, so I think the Khakis are best suited with a black shirt, black belt and black sunglasses. But... do I choose the FDE boots or the Black Boots? ack, I wish there wasn't so much pressure to dress up for this. I'll bring both pairs in my Multicam range bag.

Okay honey I'm ready; but first, let me take a selfie.

Wait... Mat Best is on m4carbine.net?

Wake27
09-29-16, 18:00
Wait... Mat Best is on m4carbine.net?

How the **** did everyone in this thread skip over that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgizzard
09-29-16, 18:12

Just got it and I'm on an Xbox. After cleaning the cam pin has almost no coating. It has a camo look it's so light. The chrome looked good but I didn't stick a light in there to really examine it.

Sooooo do you plan on ever posting pictures or did you just want to complain online without showing any pictures of the problem? Also, I assume you know that you should contact BCM before ranting about a problem with one of their products.

Tigereye
09-29-16, 20:04
I have one of these and couldn't be more pleased with it.

ST911
09-29-16, 20:06
LaserTag- Do not post in this thread again until you have 1) contacted BCM about the issue, and are reporting results of that call; and 2) post photographs and supporting information that substantiate your claims and can be intelligently discussed.

mjpgolf1
09-29-16, 22:02
Just got it and I'm on an Xbox.

After cleaning the cam pin has almost no coating. It has a camo look it's so light. The chrome looked good but I didn't stick a light in there to really examine it.

On an Xbox? Really man, you don't have a smart phone, or a laptop, or a desktop, or a tablet that you can upload photos to backup your claims. BCM is top notch so either you got a lemon and they will absolutely make it right, or you are just plain full of it. The whole Xbox comment makes me think it could be the latter. Good luck with your issue.

K1tt3n5
09-30-16, 00:10
Because they realized Mat Best doesn't live in Washington

Stickman
09-30-16, 13:51

Without pictures, I trust BCM who I have known and dealt with for years, more than your post.

I can't figure out how you state you received a BCM BCG today, but you have never actually seen a BCM BCG in person.

My personal version of this BCG is GTG, so it makes me think perhaps you do not have an extended knowledge base in this area, especially when there is nothing to back up your claim.

Lastly, I find it hard to imagine someone would jump online to post a garbage review without contacting the company and taking pictures to back up their claim. Especially when the board is pretty clear that you need to contact a company before you run around complaining.

ETA- Not calling you a liar, but there are somethings you are posting that don't add up, especially without pictures.

C4IGrant
09-30-16, 14:59

When I see posts like this from people surfing the net from their "xbox" I get suspicious. We just received in a batch of these BCG's from BCM. Attached is a quick pic of one. No issues with the coating or tool marks (like what was reported).

C4

Stickman
09-30-16, 18:24
When I see posts like this from people surfing the net from their "xbox" I get suspicious. We just received in a batch of these BCG's from BCM. Attached is a quick pic of one. No issues with the coating or tool marks (like what was reported).

C4

On an unrelated note, I swear I have dealt with the most ignorant people in the world today. Even for a cop, I am dumbfounded that people can be this stupid, and that really says a lot. I hope your day is filled with the same "blessings" as mine Grant, mainly because misery loves company. :lol:

markm
09-30-16, 19:19
I'm posting from nintendo wii... and my BCM rocks!

tgizzard
09-30-16, 19:38
I'm posting from nintendo wii...

You win the internet tonight.

sinlessorrow
10-02-16, 12:33
Hmm, may have to pick one of those up with a SOCOM upper.

ranger56528
10-02-16, 23:43
Think I just found my next purchase.

LaserTag
10-18-16, 21:02
I understand you do business with BCM and they are a good company, but you guys making assumptions are, well let's be nice and say ignorant of my bcg. My only intention was to inform others. I care more for my fellow man than corporations. Well sometimes. I'd seen several complaints prior to my own purchase, but thought nothing of it. The carrier looked like a barrel does when they have circular tool marks around the entire length of the diameter. If anyone has seen a DD s2w barrel, that's how it was. BCM was kind enough to exchange it for their phosphate bcg at their expense. This one looks great and ran without issue. They also shipped the replacement at no cost to me and gave me the $20 difference in store credit. Not what I wanted, and would have preferred a replacement fde bcg, but they said the one I returned passed their QC and I'd get that one back. No thanks. I honestly found that very surprising. You could literally hear the ridges by simply running your hand over the carrier. Worked out fine and tbh the black carrier looks better anyway.

tgizzard
10-18-16, 21:22
I understand you do business with BCM and they are a good company, but you guys making assumptions are, well let's be nice and say ignorant of my bcg. My only intention was to inform others. I care more for my fellow man than corporations. Well sometimes. I'd seen several complaints prior to my own purchase, but thought nothing of it. The carrier looked like a barrel does when they have circular tool marks around the entire length of the diameter. If anyone has seen a DD s2w barrel, that's how it was. BCM was kind enough to exchange it for their phosphate bcg at their expense. This one looks great and ran without issue. They also shipped the replacement at no cost to me and gave me the $20 difference in store credit. Not what I wanted, and would have preferred a replacement fde bcg, but they said the one I returned passed their QC and I'd get that one back. No thanks. I honestly found that very surprising. You could literally hear the ridges by simply running your hand over the carrier. Worked out fine and tbh the black carrier looks better anyway.

Pictures if the bcg in question is so bad. BCM gave you a NEW bcg, $20 in credit, and said the one you had was fine so you could keep it as well. YET, you're still on here complaining about them as well making a lame attempt to portray them as an "evil corporation". I again will repeat myself, pictures of the bcg in question if it is in fact as horrible as you claim. From what I've read it sounds like you just didn't like the fact that it wasn't "super shiny" when you looked at for the first time. Prove me wrong.

Wake27
10-18-16, 21:40

Dibs on the FDE one you don't want. I'll PayPal you for the shipping.

Stickman
10-18-16, 21:51
I understand you do business with BCM and they are a good company, but you guys making assumptions are, well let's be nice and say ignorant of my bcg.

Everyone is ignorant except you. Right. Got it.

No one believes you came here to help out your fellow man. Nor does anyone actually think there was an actual problem. More likely is that you have a low knowledge base of the weapon system, and expected something which you didn't get.

You claims of horrible machining could have been validated by a simple picture, but you didn't do that because the issue wasn't there. To use your own words, "let's be nice", and not call you a flat out liar. Lets just say you are ignorant of the product lineup, and the weapon system in general.

Leaveammoforme
10-18-16, 22:03
Pictures if the bcg in question is so bad. BCM gave you a NEW bcg, $20 in credit, and said the one you had was fine so you could keep it as well. YET, you're still on here complaining about them as well making a lame attempt to portray them as an "evil corporation". I again will repeat myself, pictures of the bcg in question if it is in fact as horrible as you claim. From what I've read it sounds like you just didn't like the fact that it wasn't "super shiny" when you looked at for the first time. Prove me wrong.

Dibs on the FDE one you don't want. I'll PayPal you for the shipping.

I think BCM was going to return the FDE carrier due to NPF.

Lasertag replied (in my best Lana Kane voice) "Noope". Then BCM offered a standard carrier and store credit in exchange for the FDE carrier. Thus letting a customer feel like they won the imaginary contest.

Dear BCM,

I like like you.

Forever yours,
Leaveammoforme

Ryno12
10-18-16, 22:15
I think BCM was going to return the FDE carrier due to NPF.

Lasertag replied (in my best Lana Kane voice) "Noope". Then BCM offered a standard carrier and store credit in exchange for the FDE carrier. Thus letting a customer feel like they won the imaginary contest.

Yep, that's the way I took it too.

Is it just me or does the majority of the M4C class of 2016 seem a bit...

...lacking?

LaserTag
10-18-16, 22:48

Go take a cold shower. I gave an update that they made good on my issue.

tgizzard
10-19-16, 05:32
Go take a cold shower. I gave an update that they made good on my NON issue.

fixed it for you.

Your whining did show, once again though, why BCM is a solid company to do business with. You however, still haven't shown us that picture of your "horribly machined" bcg.

TXBK
10-19-16, 07:22
Is it just me or does the majority of the M4C class of 2016 seem a bit...

...lacking?

It's not just you.

titsonritz
10-19-16, 10:30

Judging from my sample of the product in question, you are full of shit and I do not believe you.

mjpgolf1
10-19-16, 14:38
To be fair There have been other people saying the exact same thing that Lasertag has claimed after looking into it. Also in close up photos it looks like you can see lines in the finish. Whether or not this is good or bad I'm just saying that he is not the only person to mention this. It may just be how BCM made the carrier and maybe people expect to have a better and slicker finish like the NIB carrier groups. From what I've seen the finish on these doesn't make it much more slick than BCMs regular BCG. I don't know much about ion bonding so I can't comment on what it's supposed to do to a BCG but from everything I've read it doesn't seem to be as slick as the NIB finishing which could translate poorly for someone that is expecting something different and they could possibly mistake that for bad machining.

JVG19
01-08-19, 03:21
To be fair There have been other people saying the exact same thing that Lasertag has claimed after looking into it. Also in close up photos it looks like you can see lines in the finish. Whether or not this is good or bad I'm just saying that he is not the only person to mention this. It may just be how BCM made the carrier and maybe people expect to have a better and slicker finish like the NIB carrier groups. From what I've seen the finish on these doesn't make it much more slick than BCMs regular BCG. I don't know much about ion bonding so I can't comment on what it's supposed to do to a BCG but from everything I've read it doesn't seem to be as slick as the NIB finishing which could translate poorly for someone that is expecting something different and they could possibly mistake that for bad machining.

I know this is an old thread but I recently bought a few of these ion bond bcg and have the same issue , look I love bcm and have owned $15k in there rifles over time but the circular lines on the bcgs make them rough . You would think ion bond would be at least as slick as nitride but it's as course as phosphate. Again I'm a bcm fanboy like no other but very let down by these . Also I have not been on here in years so I cant figure out how to post the pics I have but anyone who wants to see so you dont think I'm making it up PM me your email .

JVG19
01-08-19, 03:29
I know this is an old thread but I recently bought a few of these ion bond bcg and have the same issue , look I love bcm and have over $15k in there rifles but the circular lines on these bcgs make then rough . You would think ion bond would be at least as slick as nitride but it's as course as phosphate. Again I'm a bcm fanboy like no other but very let down by these . Also I have not been on here in years so I cant figure out how to post the pics I have but anyone who wants to see so you dont think I'm making it up PM me your email .Figured it out . If you run your nail on it it feels like cortoroy pants almost lol fairly rough . And I have contacted bcm and waiting to hear back . I have all confidence in them and Again did not post on here to hurt them , wouldnt ever do that . But after reading this thread and seeing how everyone attacked the one guy I thought I should show I had the same experience even 3 years later. These were all purchased a month ago and only 1 had been used for about 50 rounds to sight in a rifle I dont use often .will also note that i was under the impression that ion bond was like DLC and very hard and wear resistant but after only 2 mags with 28 rounds I am seeing some wear to bare metal . The other standard bcg in the pics is a normal standard bcm bcg that has over 1000 rounds thru it and barely shows more wear than the fde one with 56 rounds . https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/6326320e1eec087f57c2d52d8282aaea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/540daa573c0abe727fed79663d3b9f56.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/c739e5395b2ec50ad094e94bf853352f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/72d53dbe33c7b127126866abdfb6a21d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/9ed9f5166c3edb72fb78c7f4b09ab4c5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/42487dca051db166a8ccc2ca70da5326.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

georgeib
01-08-19, 06:15
FWIW, I have an older (~8 years old) BCM black ionbond BCG, with 8-10k rounds and it shows much less wear than my standard parkerized BCGs with under 1k rounds.

308sako
01-09-19, 00:36
I run a BCM fde BCG in a Blackout and would agree that the machining is rough. My issue with this carrier finish is that it actually seems to plate for a lack of a better term the tail of the bolt where you usually get the carbon spot. It does not clean off easily either. I had hoped that when worn in it would cease however it has not after 1K rounds. On a positive note function has not been affected by either the "rough" machining nor the migration of the plating.