PDA

View Full Version : You guys will like this: Na & K bullets.

MegademiC
05-14-16, 13:35
Thought Cs would be cool too, but they didn't test any, haha.

https://youtu.be/T85d7ST2yxU

Sorry mods: info, youtube vid of "the backyard scientist" filling hollowpoint handgun bullets with sodium, potassium, and an alloy and shooting stuff with them. Pretty cool to watch.

lunchbox
05-14-16, 14:22
Sodium bullet?? Damn. For those who don't know here's random YouTube vid of what happens when you throw sodium into water https://youtu.be/NTFBXJ3Zd_4.

ColtSeavers
05-14-16, 16:53
Cool.

Sensei
05-14-16, 17:02
6" of penetration in ballistic gel and ZERO ability to defeat intermediate barriers. No thanks.

sevenhelmet
05-14-16, 17:13
Actually sensei, I think that was just water.

Shooting reactive metals at 7 yards with no eye protection? No thanks.

Sensei
05-14-16, 17:37
Actually sensei, I think that was just water.

Shooting reactive metals at 7 yards with no eye protection? No thanks.

It's hard for me to tell on my iPhone. At 4:27 he flashes a picture of 6" of penetration in what looked like clear gel (technically not ballistic gel) for the Na bullet and 18" for lead. Either way, I'm not expecting those things to meet anything close to acceptable performance against barriers.

Outlander Systems
05-14-16, 17:42
I can usually get about 9" of penetration, if I pay for dinner and bring my A-game. If I drive the Countach, it's usually 100%.

ColtSeavers
05-14-16, 17:57
It's hard for me to tell on my iPhone. At 4:27 he flashes a picture of 6" of penetration in what looked like clear gel (technically not ballistic gel) for the Na bullet and 18" for lead. Either way, I'm not expecting those things to meet anything close to acceptable performance against barriers.

He says in the audio that it is a fishtank filled with water test from a previous video.

Also pretty sure this is just a 'let's see what happens if we do this with bullets' experiment as opposed to serious bullet research.

@Outlander: Lol

thebarracuda
05-14-16, 19:01
If I drive the Countach, it's usually 100%.

They've done studies you know?.... 60% of the time, it works every time!

El Cid
05-14-16, 19:11

Backyard Doofus is going to hurt or kill someone the way he handles weapons. At least twice he turned around to face his hapless partners with his finger on the trigger.

Firefly
05-14-16, 19:56
Scoff if you must but when Alien Slugs invade this will even the odds

lunchbox
05-14-16, 20:33

Backyard Doofus is going to hurt or kill someone the way he handles weapons. At least twice he turned around to face his hapless partners with his finger on the trigger.Maybe we'll get lucky and Darwin will claim another and we can see what a Sodium round does to humans, being made mostly of water and all. For scientific reasons..

Outlander Systems
05-14-16, 20:59
Science!!!!

They've done studies you know?.... 60% of the time, it works every time!

nml
05-14-16, 23:31
Outlander you may want to switch to a smaller grain in case of overpenetration

SteyrAUG
05-15-16, 01:34
Might as well make carbide rounds while we are at it.

El Cid
05-15-16, 10:21
Maybe we'll get lucky and Darwin will claim another and we can see what a Sodium round does to humans, being made mostly of water and all. For scientific reasons..

I'm good for that as long as it's self-inflicted. I'd feel bad if he shot one of his camera crew though.

Speaking of... I am envious of his slow motion camera. What do those things run?

Wonder if they'll test the old story we heard as kids that using Mercury from a thermometer in a lead 22 will cause it to blow up? Hit man style! Lol!

MegademiC
05-15-16, 14:26
Yes, pretty much useless for defense, and they guy is not a pro by any means, but I thought it was cool to watch. Maybe I'm just simple, but watching stuff explode makes me smile

rero360
05-15-16, 17:14
He did mention in the video that the rounds were super low powered to the point that it wouldn't cycle the action, coupled with loading only one round at a time into the magazine, I'm willing to give a pass on the "safety violation" in that regard, the lack of eye pro and exposed skin though, not so much.

El Cid
05-16-16, 11:04
He did mention in the video that the rounds were super low powered to the point that it wouldn't cycle the action, coupled with loading only one round at a time into the magazine, I'm willing to give a pass on the "safety violation" in that regard, the lack of eye pro and exposed skin though, not so much.

Not me. If he does it then, he'll do it with a live gun. Someone who is properly trained will not finger the trigger with a dummy blue gun. He is forming/demonstrating terrible habits and if he continues will eventually have a Negligent Discharge.