PDA

View Full Version : Didn't realize I didn't own two of the best

M4Eagle
05-14-16, 22:02
I've owned numerous firearms over the past 3 decades and I have developed my favorites over the years while unfortunately paying no attention to some that I thought were just not for me....that is until I tried them out at my local gun store/range. All these years.... N I didn't realize just how great these 2 guns are....
The Beretta M9/92fs n the Glock 21 SF... I'm going to correct that this month !!!
Anyone else recently see the light on any classics that they never paid attention to??

boombotz401
05-14-16, 22:06
I can't comment on the beretta but glock 45s shoot very smooth, many seem to report better accuracy than other calibers

Many say the Glock 30 (subcompact .45) is the most accurate Glock made. I have to agree as I shoot it better than any other pistol I own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColtSeavers
05-14-16, 22:40
I did last month.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182572-Finally-bought-my-first-semi-auto-the-other-day

samuse
05-14-16, 23:00
I own 4 Beretta 92 series pistols, have owned a couple of M9s, and shot many more. Never had a bad thing to say about 'em.

I briefly owned a Gen4 21. 45 brass to the face is just not acceptable...

Firefly
05-15-16, 00:57
I'm going in reverse.

I got all the good stuff years ago and now I want to get into odd stuff.

Part of me wants a Makarov now. And a VZ58.

The irony is that the time for that was probably 10 years ago

26 Inf
05-15-16, 12:51
I'm going in reverse.

I got all the good stuff years ago and now I want to get into odd stuff.

Part of me wants a Makarov now. And a VZ58.

The irony is that the time for that was probably 10 years ago

I believe this is close to a Makarov at a reasonable price, it is the Polish 'copy' looks somewhat similar, and is also a blowback action: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3P64G1&name=Grade+1+Polish+Radom+P-64+9x18+Pistol+Package&groupid=5389

ramairthree
05-15-16, 13:07
Sort of.

I will pick up oddities like a Beretta Cougar, etc. at the right price.

Great gun.
More concealable and less recoil oz for oz than a 92.
But discontinued and no aftermarket.
Because brought out a gun during the AWB with what could have used beretta 92 mags,
But decided to not use the same mag release point.

But they built a 9000. That did take 92 mags.
But was a totally sucky gun.

The PX4, M&P, etc. lots of good guns out there I have no interest in.

I have resisted the XDMs which are a great gun game gun,
And CZs for a while.

So many models, etc.

I resisted 40s forever,
But some great guns turn up in 40 at the right price.

Resisting CZs is like resisting some hot, sultry, Eastern European knockout with a smoky voice and mischievous eyes at the height of the Cold War that wants to take you home from the bar.
You know you should resist.
But damn it all to hell you would rather just go home with her.

GNXII
05-15-16, 13:10
I used to collect a variety of handguns, buying them on just reputation, coolness, some even were tried out (novel idea !!) etc. Most I just purchased and never or sparingly shot, maybe a mag or two. No Lorcins or Hi-points, just quality stuff that was the right time to buy in terms of price. About 11 years go with the idea of buying another safe due space limitations, I decided to try and utilize these guns extensively and see what my awesome purchases would do for mel! After all, I purchased quality guns and they all got rave reviews in gun rags , from others etc. all of 'em should be excellent in my hands...lol In the end, I sold a lot of them that we're uncomfortable shoot (USP FS, too big for my hands), not accurate (Some Taurus stuff), not reliable ( more Taurus, a Walther) etc. Classic type guns I shot well and were reliable, accurate etc. were all older models i.e. Gen 2 G17, an Early Kimber 1911, Sig 226, S&W 3rd gen 6906 etc. Yes, I definitely shoot much better with the M&Ps, Glocks, Sig320 lines but those classic ones surprised me...alot! For me I learned or relearned a lot , DA/SA transition etc. I now have a list of guns I want to TRY before I buy as I want to enjoy them both in my safe and on the range!! You never stop learning!

Firefly
05-15-16, 13:44
I believe this is close to a Makarov at a reasonable price, it is the Polish 'copy' looks somewhat similar, and is also a blowback action: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3P64G1&name=Grade+1+Polish+Radom+P-64+9x18+Pistol+Package&groupid=5389

Thanks for the heads up. Can you do the bottle opener trick like on a Makarov? I have been told that you can with a Walther but I don't feel like boogering mine up.

Therewas a time when Makarovs were being essentially given away. The one to get, I'm told, is the East German ones. But now all the hipsters bought them up and they are going for stupidly high prices. They have SKS rifles going and selling for over a grand plus on GB. Again....because of hipsters.

As for Ramairthree and his Cougar...the Stoeger made Cougar mags et al are reverse compatible with the original Beretta. An acquaintance has one. And he gets new made mags from Stoeger.

As for .40...it's a meh round. I have a .40 pistol just to have something in case 9mm dries up again.

I like having one but wouldn't go out of my way for one.

Arik
06-20-16, 07:14
Thanks for the heads up. Can you do the bottle opener trick like on a Makarov? I have been told that you can with a Walther but I don't feel like boogering mine up.

Therewas a time when Makarovs were being essentially given away. The one to get, I'm told, is the East German ones. But now all the hipsters bought them up and they are going for stupidly high prices. They have SKS rifles going and selling for over a grand plus on GB. Again....because of hipsters.

As for Ramairthree and his Cougar...the Stoeger made Cougar mags et al are reverse compatible with the original Beretta. An acquaintance has one. And he gets new made mags from Stoeger.

As for .40...it's a meh round. I have a .40 pistol just to have something in case 9mm dries up again.

I like having one but wouldn't go out of my way for one.
I know, old thread but I just stumbled into it. Yes you can open beer with the P64. It's design is overall the same as the Makarov. Fixed barrel protruding past the dust cover.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

26 Inf
06-20-16, 08:33
I bought one of the Grade 2 P64's from AIM and was quite surprised by the good shape it was in. I was pretty anxious to shoot it so I sprung for a box of ammo at the LGS and paid way too much, but you know, I wanted to shoot it. First thing I did was 86 the protrusion on the front of the mag floor plate - it hit me in the wrong place - Polish dudes must have way small hands. It was a little snappy so I ordered a recoil calibration pack from Wolff. It has arrived, but I haven't taken the time to source any reasonably priced practice ammo. It feeds Hornady 95gr Critical Defense okay, but at 25.00ish for a box of 25 I just shot enough to make sure it fed reliably weak hand, strong hand and two hand.

It looks like I'll end up with this round for practice - Sellier & Bellot® 9mm Makarov 95 Grain FMJ - buying 500 rounds of it, imagine it will last a while. Don't imagine I'll be reloading the caliber.

Any suggestions on what spring I want to start with?

Edited to add: forgot to mention, even for a guy who grew up shooting DA revolvers, that DA pull is a challenge to shoot fast.

DirectTo
06-20-16, 09:47
Smith 5906. I had heard stories about the 3rd gen Smiths but never handled or shot one.

I went to a local range one day (something I never do, I shoot on a private place) and they had one in the used rack. Beautiful, looked like it had never been shot. The thing is a brick, but it's got a very nice trigger, good grip feeling in my hand, and still plenty of parts availability. Mec-Gar makes 18 round mags to boot.

Being so heavy I'd not carry it, so it's a great range toy, but I did take it to the beach with me once (all stainless for the win).