PDA

View Full Version : My O.C.D.Kicking in - Who uses there Aimpoint Lense Covers?

bgoode
08-26-08, 10:38
I have mine removed for worry free use. Dust will be my only enemy in my envoronment. Seems like 1 thing to just get in the way. Can you guys with more experience tell me why I should put these back on :)
THANKS FELLAS! Life is hard being O.C.D.:p

FlyAndFight
08-26-08, 16:12
I don't really see the covers as a hinderance, though. They are quick to snap on and off.

An ounce of prevention...

I would think that Murphy's Law would be waiting to pounce on your Aimpoint lenses as soon as you leave them off... ;)

PRGGodfather
08-26-08, 18:22
Grant has the flip up covers, and they work well. They keep the dust off and get out of the way quick-- as somehow, someone always manages to smudge a fingerprint on it, too! Fingerprints and dust make for nice blurry images...

bgoode
08-26-08, 18:35
I stuck em back on :) I may need to replace the large one....it doesnt flip out nice like the smaller one does :)

Harv
08-26-08, 19:55
I ditched my covers long time ago, Dust and water will not effect your ability to see the dot unless both sides are completely obscured.

Nothing to unsnap or flip up, always ready to go.

believeraz
08-26-08, 21:15
I am currently working in a desert, so I use my covers daily. My rifle at home is stored in the safe with the covers closed also to protect it from dust. If I'm using the rifle (meaning it's loaded and attached to me) I open the covers.

My pet peeve are people who put their covers on in such a way that they pop upward, occluding vision around the optic. Mine flip downward, onto the receiver's top rail where they lay out of the way.

subzero
08-26-08, 21:41
I use them when the gun is in storage. I replaced the back cover with one of the see through ones. I like being able to keep rain off of the lens when the rifle is slung. I already see pretty poorly, I don't need dust or water on the lenses acting as a further hindrance to my vision. And with the see through back cover, I can use the optic as an OEG without taking flipping either cover off, so I can still use the sight in a pinch.

In short, the only reason I can see to not use the covers is because they get in the way or they're unsightly. The benefit outweighs the aesthetic concern in my book.

BushmasterFanBoy
08-26-08, 22:57
I can use the optic as an OEG without taking flipping either cover off, so I can still use the sight in a pinch.

What does OEG stand for?
I know that you were trying to say that you can use the optic, even through the front sight is covered, but what does it stand for?
My best guess is:
O; Occluded. E; ?. G: Gunsight

Evan_O
08-27-08, 00:04
I don't use em at all. It rides around in my patrol car, it gets dust on it, it gets rain and snow on it sometimes. Every once in a while I'll look at it and think damn this thing is dirty, so I wipe off the lenses and it's as good as new. I've never deployed it and thought the above. For me when it's just a range trip or a cleaning I notice little things like that. When I deploy it on a call and the adrenalin is flowing I've never once had a problem seeing through it, nor have I noticed if it's a little dusty. YMMV

Tomac
08-27-08, 08:01
I use the Aimpoint transparent flipups so 99% of the time I just leave 'em closed but can open them if needbe.
Tomac

FJB
08-27-08, 08:21
There are a few comments and questions by several different individuals that need to be answered.

1st - BMFG - OEG stands for Occulded Eye Gunsite. The first OEG was made by Armson http://armson1.stores.yahoo.net/faqs.html A very early version was used by SF in Operation Kingpin - The Son Tay Raid during Vietnam. This same concept can be used with an Aimpoint sight with the front lens cover closed.

2nd - bgoode - purchase the new Aimpoint Front and Rear Flip covers from G&R Tactical as they are superior to the older ones.

3rd - believeraz - I concur with you regarding the flip covers being opened in the up position, as when they are up and you in a "ready" or "hunt" position, ie. muzzle slightly depressed with the optic slightly below your eyes hunting/searching for more threats/targets, they block your vision. Your solution to put them in the down position will work for civilians or LE that do not run PEQ-2s or 5s on the front rail. With PEQ's mounted in front of the Aimpoint the front cover won't open in entirely thus blocking some of your vision through the optic. Depending upon rail placement of the Aimpoint the rear cover may not open entirely if it hits the BUIS. A more suitable solution is to have the covers open to the right of the optic if right handed and to the left if left handed.

S/F

bgoode
08-28-08, 19:36
Aaahh to hell with it :) triji's and eotech's aint got dust covers... I am throwing myself to fait :) those dang covers just erk me. Thanks a ton for the discussions fellas. My 6 year old no date has scratches and I still tell time with her. I am just going to enjoy the CompM3 and not sweat it. Ill grab a can of air to stash in my range gear.
Again fellas, thanks for the discussion. Love the forum!!