PDA

View Full Version : Customizing a Handgun

harrishmasher
05-15-16, 15:32
What is the general thinking on customizing your handgun for aesthetic purpose? Not customizing for mechanical or functional reasons, but for looks. So I am not talking about putting an aftermarket trigger in your Glock so it has a custom trigger. I'm talking about doing things like buying guns with frames that are NOT black, then buying accessories to match. Like my Glocks below. I bought two FDE Glocks. Then I bought an FDE Surefire X300 to match. Then I came across these Custom Thread Protectors from Backup Tactical (http://backuptactical.com/).

Is that to much? Do we all really just want the same black guns as everyone else? I think we need to be honest that to some extent we buy guns because we like the way they look, and we add things to them purely because we think they look cool. What do you guys think?

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/harrishmasher/IMG_3948_zpsmlfh9meh.jpg

boombotz401
05-15-16, 15:41
I see nothing wrong with adding a few things to make the gun "yours"

I like the factory colored frames Glock makes, picked up a battlefield green g17 a few months ago.

I used the colored frames to easily tell which is which

My g26 is black
My g27 is FDE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
05-15-16, 15:46
If it makes you happy (and it's legal and moral), do it.

People spend stupid amounts of money on stupid hobbies and there's nothing wrong with that. Warriors and craftsmen have been making and modifying weapons to enhance their aesthetics - including weapons relied upon to defend life, liberty, and property - for at least 50,000 years (which is about when we started crafting stone tools).

Just remember that these are life saving tools and aesthetics should never take primacy over function (reliability, accuracy, and "shootability").

BillBond
05-15-16, 15:47
Customizing for looks is money down the drain.
Yeah it may look nicer to you, but when you get bored with it and want something else, you cannot get your money back.

MStarmer
05-15-16, 17:27
Yeah it may look nicer to you, but when you get bored with it and want something else, you cannot get your money back.

I'd say that the number of people with engraved guns or engravers would disagree. I don't see an issue with it, look at the take off in Cerakoting and other coatings and the like. Now I was against cerakoting a Glock "Tiffany" blue for my daughter but I did get a Sig P320 and an extra frame. Voila', back to stock in 30 seconds.

I think you'll find plenty of people that do things solely for cosmetics, two tone 1911's, camo patterns, polished wheelguns etc.. Basically everything past a bone stock G19 with steel sights, 1 good holster, a case of mags and a pallet of ammo is a waste. But just like women, our tastes in guns varies. From plain and stock to something from Jason Burton at Heirloom Precision. Get what you want and don't worry about anyone else.

Uprange41
05-15-16, 17:47
To me, the only genuinely pretty handguns out there are 1911's and revolvers, and I am not motivated enough to spend the money for a quality version of either.

So all my handgun "upgrades" are born out of function rather than form. My next Glock will be FDE though... Just 'cuz.

But if it turns ya on, it turns ya on.

Kain
05-15-16, 19:07
I honestly think the thread protectors are a little much, but that is me OP. Also, I think Tango Down has mag releases in FDE to help match ;) LoL.

You my friend much not frequent some of the same sales boards I do. Your custom glock, with garage drunk stipple, slide polished mirror shine, and dewalt porting bring a premium to the moron corp. "They be the perfect carry guns!" Seriously, never underestimate what fools will pay when it comes to something that they think or can be convinced is better, whether it is or not is irrelevant.

But if it turns ya on, it turns ya on.

In the words of a good friend of mine, "Because it makes my dick hard." And that has been his response to a number of his purchases over the years to include ones that even he would tell you he has no use for, but "It makes my dick hard." and so he had to have it. I personally prefer gun shui because it makes me sound more sophisticated :cool:

Honestly if it ain't affecting function, like the aforementioned mirror slide and dewalt porting, I don't really see any issue, I mean, there is something to be said to having something that is ascetically pleasing to you. I mean, I like OD green stuff, have a rifle that all the furniture is OD green. I also love a good blued 1911 with some nice character(Read wear) and find that to be just damn sexy. I mean I won't artificially wear an item, but when they get good and salty from loads of use and carry, and still run like a raped ape, it just nice.

PaLEOjd
05-15-16, 19:36
As long as it does not have any effect on the function of the firearm, go for it. You paid for it so do as you please. It may seem silly or look silly to others but in the end, it's your firearm and your money spent. Use any colors you wish, just don't sacrifice reliability and function of the pistol and you should be good.

Tzook
05-15-16, 19:43
What is the purpose of this thread? If you like it, do it. If you don't, don't.

daniel87
05-15-16, 19:46
Engraved guns and pearl grips have been around many years. Do what you want with your money

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Kenneth
05-15-16, 19:56
Are those thread protectors o ring sealed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harrishmasher
05-15-16, 20:07

Just curious what people think about the idea of customizing guns for looks as opposed to functionality. I think we all do it to some extent to another. Some are willing to admit it, some aren't. I thinks guys are driven by aesthetics of the guns they buy than they admit.

Mysteryman
05-15-16, 21:52
It's a poor investment over say ammo or training but if it doesn't negatively effect performance or reliability then go ahead.

MM

MegademiC
05-16-16, 06:11
If it doesn't add performance, it doesn't go on my equiptment, be it tools, guns, hunting, fishing, or driving equiptment. I think it's stupid, but you don't need my permission so have at it I guess.

That said, most of my stuff is factory and I use it as is, perhaps adding stuff if I think it's holding me back.

Arik
05-16-16, 07:51
I don't have an issue with it but it's something I'll never do. I see absolutely no reason to spend money on something like that. Furthermore, the gun will be in a holster or in a safe. Either way it's out of sight. So I'd spend that money and still not see the gun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

okie john
05-16-16, 10:06
What is the general thinking on customizing your handgun for aesthetic purpose? Not customizing for mechanical or functional reasons, but for looks. So I am not talking about putting an aftermarket trigger in your Glock so it has a custom trigger. I'm talking about doing things like buying guns with frames that are NOT black, then buying accessories to match. Like my Glocks below. I bought two FDE Glocks. Then I bought an FDE Surefire X300 to match. Then I came across these Custom Thread Protectors from Backup Tactical (http://backuptactical.com/).

Is that to much? Do we all really just want the same black guns as everyone else? I think we need to be honest that to some extent we buy guns because we like the way they look, and we add things to them purely because we think they look cool. What do you guys think?

I customize for function and spend the rest of my money on ammo and training. But a pistol with functional mods and holster wear looks better to me than a NIB pistol with cosmetic mods.

If you like color-coordinated stuff, go for it.

Okie John

Airborne Infantryman
05-16-16, 10:29

He's shilling their product. He had an exact copy and paste thread on TOS, that got nuked. Someone else from that company was doing spamming on TOS and had their thread nuked as well.

WillBrink
05-16-16, 11:30
I think "too much" is subjective. I'd say if one spends more on visual upgrades than they do on courses, training, and ammo, it's too much as the latter should get priority over the former.

Most of the guys I know with extensive collections and or expensive/modified guns can't shoot for chit.

Dr Tran
05-16-16, 12:21
No matter what you do to dress up a Glock, it will still be ugly.

That said, whatever floats your boat.