PDA

View Full Version : Does larger buckshot typically spread faster?

Ron3
05-15-16, 21:40
Just curious if this is common.

Both of my shotguns spread 000 buckshot into patters 30%-50% bigger than 00 buck.

This is from two "improved cylinder" barrels and one "modified" barrel.

Kain
05-15-16, 21:46
Are both loads using the same wad? Are the velocity the same?

Generally, and I cannot speak to buckshot with any degree of expertise, I would be looking at variance in wad, velocity, and load before the size of the shot. The wad being the first thing that I would be looking at. As far as buck shot, I might also consider that you might be getting into a situation where the constriction of the gun is pushing the 000 pellets in and then causing something akin to wild flyers, I can't say that definitely, but I have witnessed situations where as you constrict loadings tighter and tighter you will hit a point where the patterns cease to get tighter and start to open up because the choke is actually deforming pellets and causing them to go wild, for lack of a better term. This could also be occurring with your buck shot.

Ron3
05-16-16, 00:35
One maker of the 000 buck, several makes of 00 buck.

The 000 (2.75 and 3") always spreads out more quickly from my guns.

Your supposition is probably correct.

GH41
05-16-16, 06:04
What Kain said^^^. The larger shot with fewer pellets is probably being deformed more by the choke than the smaller shot with more pellets. I'll bet if you fired both through a cylinder bore you wouldn't see a big difference.

WS6
06-04-16, 04:18
My experience is the opposite, with 000 buck typically patterning better than 00. This is from multiple shotguns, all benelli m4s.

williejc
06-08-16, 20:37
Premium buckshot normally has an advanced wad that cushions the balls at the rear thus reducing pellet distortion from recoil. Also, throughout the shot column within the wad are buffering granules serving the same purpose. Less distortion contributes to tighter patters. But, you would have to compare 00 vs. 000 within the same brand of premium buckshot to draw a conclusion about buckshot size and pattern size.

The one "buckshot" generalization that I've found to be accurate is that buckshot patterns at a higher impact point than does other shot. I learned this fact at the Texas prison system's academy and have found it to be true without exception--over a period of 35 years. My opinion is that high recoil coupled with a light weight shotgun produces this occurrence. I never tested this finding with a full size shotgun and low recoil buckshot so maybe my generalization should exclude both.

WS6
06-08-16, 20:54
Premium buckshot normally has an advanced wad that cushions the balls at the rear thus reducing pellet distortion from recoil. Also, throughout the shot column within the wad are buffering granules serving the same purpose. Less distortion contributes to tighter patters. But, you would have to compare 00 vs. 000 within the same brand of premium buckshot to draw a conclusion about buckshot size and pattern size.

The one "buckshot" generalization that I've found to be accurate is that buckshot patterns at a higher impact point than does other shot. I learned this fact at the Texas prison system's academy and have found it to be true without exception--over a period of 35 years. My opinion is that high recoil coupled with a light weight shotgun produces this occurrence. I never tested this finding with a full size shotgun and low recoil buckshot so maybe my generalization should exclude both.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M09d099cb0a45e5904a14ba0766accf23H1&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

I have found low recoil buck does pattern slightly lower, say, 6'' at 25 yards.

I have compared 00 and 000 Buck and the 000 patterns much better, even though it doesn't have a shot cup due to...having bigger balls ;)
*(Remington Express ammunition)