PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Holster mounts

Tzook
05-15-16, 22:00
Anybody mount a holster in their vehicle? My friend did it in his truck, and after seeing it I'd love to do the same. I came across this on a google search: http://www.daraholsters.com/mounted-holsters

Is anybody familiar with this company or mounting system? Any reason why this is a great idea or a terrible one? I carry a G19 and Surefire X300 AIWB and while I love it, it can be pretty difficult to draw the gun sitting down with a seatbelt on, plus for long drives it just isn't comfortable.

Thanks for any input!

Wake27
05-15-16, 22:11
Haven't seen that company before, but I plan on using the G-Code RTI system in my Jeep when I get back to free America. Should be pretty solid since I use their stuff for overt holsters anyways.

4thPointOfContact
05-15-16, 22:16
Had a DIY system in my old Jeep. I took a quick-mount from Blackhawk and used expanding rubber anchors (same ones BMW, Subaru, Honda, Mercedes, etc) that mount cargo nets and grocery bag hooks. A BHI holster mounted to it and if I went anywhere Non-permissive the holster quickly went into the glove box. When I sold the car, the mounting grommets were barely noticeable. You could do the same with the Safariland system.

mdain
05-15-16, 22:18
That looks like it sticks out quite a bit. Even rotated 90 degrees, it takes up a lot of space. I run a Safariland holster on an MLS mount in the same location. Much lower profile, which means more knee room. The holster in link looks like it would interfere with leg room.

skylineracer329
05-19-16, 01:51
Haven't seen that company before, but I plan on using the G-Code RTI system in my Jeep when I get back to free America. Should be pretty solid since I use their stuff for overt holsters anyways.

I second the GCode. They have an RTI mount specifically designed to mount in a vehicle.

TXBK
05-19-16, 16:08
I use some RAM mounts. They are good, secure mounts. That particular mount looks like it would get in the way, though. If you mounted it in a vehicle with a bench seat, and no center console in the floor, it would probably be fine over there out of the way.

The RTI Vehicle Mounting System (http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/Accessories/GSG017.html) from G-Code works well. I haven't had any interference issues with my knees while getting in, getting out, or driving.

Cap'n Crash
05-19-16, 16:36
Can a LEO in Texas offer an opinion on the legality of mounting a pistol like this (in sight of an officer during a traffic stop)? I've been told in the past that this is a no-go.

Tzook
05-19-16, 19:30
Can a LEO in Texas offer an opinion on the legality of mounting a pistol like this (in sight of an officer during a traffic stop)? I've been told in the past that this is a no-go.

I am not an LEO in Texas, but I am in another state and while there isn't anything illegal about it, you sure as shit better keep your hands away from it when I walk up to your car

edit: I should add, while my state is not a "shall declare" state, it would be very unwise to not say anything about you having a gun mounted next to your leg or under your steering wheel before it's noticed.

Cap'n Crash
05-19-16, 21:18
Oh c'mon Tzook, it could be fun! Maybe even play the Cops tv show theme song as the officer approaches! ;)

skylineracer329
05-20-16, 00:13
edit: I should add, while my state is not a "shall declare" state, it would be very unwise to not say anything about you having a gun mounted next to your leg or under your steering wheel before it's noticed.

Disagree. Don't tell the cops anymore information than they need to know and don't consent to searches. Unless of course you're bound by law to declare that you have a firearm.

Tzook
05-20-16, 00:33
Disagree. Don't tell the cops anymore information than they need to know and don't consent to searches. Unless of course you're bound by law to declare that you have a firearm.

I'm just saying, from the perspective of "the cops" that contact is going to go a whole lot differently if you do say "hey officer I want you to be aware I have a pistol over here" than if I notice it after we've been talking for a minute or if you attempt to hide it.

trinydex
05-21-16, 13:33
i would not mount a holster to a vehicle.

mainly because if you have a weapon, it should be on you. the mechanics of drawing, reholstering, maneuvering, etc inside a vehicle should be trained. none of that skillset is benefited with a vehicle holster. likewise any skills developed already are going to be useless or at least less useful with a vehicle holster (another skillset that would have to be developed separately and needlessly).

this is to say nothing about what happens if you get in an accident where you're incapacitated or other unforeseeable circumstances.

my question overall would be, why?

Wake27
05-21-16, 15:15

mainly because if you have a weapon, it should be on you. the mechanics of drawing, reholstering, maneuvering, etc inside a vehicle should be trained. none of that skillset is benefited with a vehicle holster. likewise any skills developed already are going to be useless or at least less useful with a vehicle holster (another skillset that would have to be developed separately and needlessly).

this is to say nothing about what happens if you get in an accident where you're incapacitated or other unforeseeable circumstances.

Comfort. I prefer AIWB carry, but not on a long car ride. Plus I'm willing to bet it'd be a faster and more efficient draw than a 3:00 holster.

HardToHandle
05-22-16, 09:11

Well.... My experience and tactical analysis is different. A car gun in addition to a traditional belt holstered gun is something I keep as an OPTION when I feel the threat is higher. This is an area that some thought is needed on the respective trade-offs. Thought should be followed up by some time for in-vehicle draws, which are hugely educational.

Who says you do not have more than one pistol?
After practicing in car draws, you might come to the realization that a traditional belt holster draw is a major unnecessary challenge?
Do you roll in some place like Detroit, where even the Police Chief has experienced a potential car jacking?
How did the Miami shootout go wrong when the vehicle takedown tactic went from deliberate to hasty?
Why did the UK and German anti terrorist teams almost always roll with dedicated car guns?
Might A car holster may be a serious advantage in a serious auto accident, restraining an otherwise dense object inside a vehicle?

*My qualifications... Past experiences as a low speed Army guy, Firefighter/EMT and law enforcement. So just my marginally informed opinion. Have used a Kingston type and ankle holster as needed inside a vehicle.

Jellybean
05-22-16, 13:50
Keeping an eye on this.

I don't feel the need for a secondary dedicated car pistol (I feel like if I need a secondary it's time to start packing a long arm and varying levels of related support gear in the car), BUT... I do have a very real need for a secondary holster to put my CCW handgun in when driving, as I cannot sit comfortably in the seat with it holstered, neither can I draw it when seated and buckled in.

I was thinking some sort of mounting system from G-Code/Safariland, or perhaps a simple DIY Kydex affair and liberal amounts of adhesive velcro... Not sure how that would hold up long term to heat in a car though...

Kenneth
05-22-16, 18:03
Tac-Mag Gun Magnet with 25 lb Rating https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LR454YU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mQJqxbBSBP4BG

This is what I'm going to do. I recently saw an OHP have several around his vehicle and they worked well. Two of them will hold a long gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CleverNickname
05-22-16, 18:12

I am not LE, but I am a Texas resident. The reason that using such a holster would be illegal under most circumstances in Texas is that:

1) While open carry by a licensee is legal, openly carried firearms must be in a belt or shoulder holster, and that holster is neither.
2) While carry in vehicles by a non-licensee is legal, it must be concealed. Unless the holster is mounted somehow where it's not visible at all from outside the car then it's not concealed. Mounting it under the steering wheel by your knees isn't good enough IMO, because it's still visible from some angles. If you had a large center console and somehow mounted it inside that, then it should be OK.

rudy99
05-22-16, 18:37
I carry a G19 and Surefire X300 AIWB and while I love it, it can be pretty difficult to draw the gun sitting down with a seatbelt on, plus for long drives it just isn't comfortable.

My father had a similar setup in his truck. I slowly came to the conclusion that this setup only make sense for a dedicated farm/hunting vehicle.

If you have one gun, are you really going to move it from the vehicle holster to your AIWB holster before getting out of the vehicle and reholster pointing at your vitals? I'm assuming you have a risk of being spotted by someone if you reholster while standing outside of your vehicle. More administrative touching of a loaded gun also seems to increase the risk of a ND to me. Also, if you have to bail out of the vehicle quickly, are you going to have time/presence of mind to grab your gun if you always train with it on your person? This is a less likely, but possibly worth considering.

With 2 guns (one on your person and one in the vehicle holster), I would question what someone will do when they are getting out of the car and leaving the vehicle weapon unattended for a while (e.g., grocery store, etc). You have now left an unsecured weapon in the vehicle, that might be somewhat visible.

skydivr
05-23-16, 16:04
I'm just saying, from the perspective of "the cops" that contact is going to go a whole lot differently if you do say "hey officer I want you to be aware I have a pistol over here" than if I notice it after we've been talking for a minute or if you attempt to hide it.

Officer, I totally agree. Both of us want to go home to our families, so the last thing I want to do is give anyone a reason to shoot me.

I really like the magnet idea for the home....

trinydex
05-23-16, 22:07
Comfort. I prefer AIWB carry, but not on a long car ride. Plus I'm willing to bet it'd be a faster and more efficient draw than a 3:00 holster.

i sympathize. this is one of the reasons i personally moved away from aiwb carry. there are a lot of pros on the side of aiwb, but i found myself doffing my holster on trips that lasted more than 3 hours. this weakness and concession in my ttps made me realize i cannot afford to carry aiwb. i'm not saying this has to be true for anyone else. i just personally had to step away when i found myself compromising what i'm supposed to do based on comfort.

i moved back to kidney carry and i haven't switched back. since going back to kidney carry i have also moved to a larger pattern firearm.