PDA

View Full Version : Biggest pleasant surprise you had with a model

ramairthree
05-16-16, 01:00
I wanted but could not afford a nice semi auto pistol in the mid 80s.
A GD got me thinking about how much more relative guns were then.

A Beretta was the equivalent of a thousand today bucks in those days. But relatively much cheaper now.
A Colt SP1 relatively about the same cost then as new 6920 now.
A new IROC Camaro was about 10k. That is about the same as 23000 today dollars. They are relatively much more expensive for the equivalent Camaro now.

I bought a used alloy frame Star 9mm with two mags.
The BKM I believe.
That little not quite a 1911 clone scaled down version of a 45 was very concealable,
And functioned.
And was as accurate as I am now.
I don't know how it would hold up to serious use.
I sold it in the early 90s.

I had paid 110 dollars for it.
That would be like about 250 now.

It was a pleasant surprise I got a working little semi auto.

So, for 250 what can you go out and get a nice little shooter now,
Or what model turned out to be way better than you thought or a steal for what they go for.

Arik
05-16-16, 08:29
Are you talking new or used?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ramairthree
05-16-16, 12:29
Can be new or used.

And I don't mean robbing somebody blind.

Just,
The going rate for a new or used gun that up is a great deal and you really liked.

It can be a CZ clone, Beretta clone, Glock clone, 1911 clone,
It's own design, whatever.

Firefly
05-16-16, 12:41
For me, the Beretta 92G Vertec.
It was a used popo SWAT gun with no Dept markings that I got for $325.

It was a shooting little pistol and due to temporary early onset Alzheimers I traded it not knowing how discontinued they were. The blued ones.

It haunts my dreams.

Arik
05-16-16, 12:47
The only gun thay fits the price was a used S&W 5906 I bought few years ago. Came with 2 mags and very bright night sights. The whole thing was like new and $250. Played with if for a while then sent it down the road. Otherwise I've gotten a few good deals on police trades within the last few years. Like new G22 with night sights for $295. I know it's a 40 but a a Glock for under $300... Another one was a S&W model 13 38spl/357 for $285 cause it was a re import with CAI stamped on the side.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DirectTo
05-16-16, 15:22
Picked up a damn near new S&W 5906 for 250 with a single mag, original box, etc. Smooth as butter. Not a sexy or uncommon pistol but it's been my favorite hammer fired gun forever.

I just landed a Beretta 84 for $250 that should be waiting for me when I get home. Haven't seen it in person but it looked good enough and the price was reasonable enough to roll the dice.

Also landed a BNIB police trade Glock 17 Gen 4. Night sights, extra mag, etc for $350. Still had the original Glock grease inside.

HKGuns
05-16-16, 18:19
RIA GI 1911 $325 NIB

PD Sgt.
05-16-16, 18:36
There was this smokin' blonde chick at.....

Wait, wrong model story.

Picked up a Smith 622 Target knowing nothing about it, it was sitting in the used gun case at a local shop. It is a pain to take apart and detail strip/clean, but it is extremely fun to shoot. I have used it to introduce several people, including my daughter, to shoot.

26 Inf
05-16-16, 19:04
Recent surprises:

I like shooting the M&P Shield which I bought for the wife because the price seemed too good to pass up.

I really have fun shooting my LCP, I mean it is a hoot. Thanks to the big Cabella's sale and Cabella's bucks, I'm into it for less than a $100.00.

556BlackRifle
05-16-16, 20:37
OP, your post reminded me of one I forgot about. It was a Star Firestar 40 S&W that I picked up used but like new for $175 with two mags. It was a great gun. Reliable and very accurate. Wish I still had it..... Another is my S&W Model 60 .357 Mag snubby in stainless. Paid $300 and was offered $500 the following week. It's a keeper.

SeriousStudent
05-16-16, 22:21
There was this smokin' blonde chick at.....

Wait, wrong model story.

Picked up a Smith 622 Target knowing nothing about it, it was sitting in the used gun case at a local shop. It is a pain to take apart and detail strip/clean, but it is extremely fun to shoot. I have used it to introduce several people, including my daughter, to shoot.

Funny, that was my first thought as well.

And the 622 makes a great suppressor host, I am told. I have thought about tracking down a 422 just for that purpose.

ramairthree
05-16-16, 23:04
I did not mean that kind of model

And I did not mean the kind of surprise Euro might get.

AKDoug
05-16-16, 23:51
OP, your post reminded me of one I forgot about. It was a Star Firestar 40 S&W that I picked up used but like new for $175 with two mags. It was a great gun. Reliable and very accurate. Wish I still had it..... Another is my S&W Model 60 .357 Mag snubby in stainless. Paid $300 and was offered $500 the following week. It's a keeper.

I've got a Firestar .45ACP... it's my glove box gun in my semi's. Great little gun that I got for song because it was disassembled in a zip lock bag. My 14 y.o. son found a parts schematic online and put it back together.

556BlackRifle
05-17-16, 01:03
Nice find! I'm sure the 14 yo will remember that gun for the rest of his life.

DirectTo
05-21-16, 01:25
I'll add another one to bump this topic, though it's an unexciting one.

I picked up a Gen 2 Glock 17 PD trade in when I picked it up at GT Distributors and it had my employee number as its serial number. Decided it was meant to be, and for $249 I couldn't go wrong.

I replaced all the springs and cleaned it up. Plenty of firing done with this one, not a holster queen. Grip was damn near smooth and has a piece missing at the bottom. I had to put Talons and later a grip sleeve just to be able to control it. Replaced the rounded off and unusable factory adjustable sights with Glock steel fixed sights.

It has been 100% with everything I've fired. It's been shot in rain, snow, dirty, muddy. Never a bobble from the weakest range ammo to +P carry stuff with factory and Magpul mags. It was going to be a beater gun, but it turned into probably my favorite handgun, and I'd trust it for carry any day.

Mike169
05-21-16, 06:47
Glock 43...

Seriously, if you read the Internet, it's a sack of dog crap with a piece of gavel wedged in some sand for a trigger. Hell even the gun shop owner tried to talk me out of it, telling me they've been jam-o-magic piece of garbage since the inception. Then of course there's everyone who says it's the same size as a glock 26, finally there's the big industry names who swear it handles recoil for crap and everyone should just buy a shield.

Anyhow, I freaking love this 43. Carries much easier than my 26, soft shooter, and feeds everything. I love it..

1986s4
05-21-16, 16:17
Very disappointed with a used but nice SIG P226 SAO I picked up, recoil was too snappy for the size and weight of the pistol. On the other hand I really like the LNIB P225 I got shortly later and the S&W M13 3" has been nothing but spectacular, the last pistol I'd ever sell.

Ernst
05-21-16, 16:23
I can't take it anymore, I have to say it.

The title of the thread made me hope I was going to hear some awesome stories about these kinds of models:

http://media.indiatimes.in/media/content/2015/Apr/plus-sized-models-ad-campaign-star-in-a-bra-curvy-kate-7_1428496382_725x725.jpg

M4Eagle
05-21-16, 18:24
Really was surprised searching out a new Beretta M9 for a great price . Was hard to find one new but just got one this week at a price if $550 which I like, The gun is so smooth not accurate. So glad I got it

1986s4
05-22-16, 07:30
I can't take it anymore, I have to say it.

The title of the thread made me hope I was going to hear some awesome stories about these kinds of models:

http://media.indiatimes.in/media/content/2015/Apr/plus-sized-models-ad-campaign-star-in-a-bra-curvy-kate-7_1428496382_725x725.jpg

Yeah, first thing I though too but given the nature of the forum....

cdmiller
05-22-16, 23:10
Two I can think of are:
1) A lightly used HK P2000 LEM in 9mm that I bought for $525 when retail was about $900. Dropped in a lighter mainspring and it's the wife's favorite pistol. (One of these days I'm going to use that as an excuse for something...) It's also an awesome suppressor host with an RCM barrel. It's never leaving the fold.
2) A new PPS M1 when the prices dropped recently. It was a (very) few bucks over $400 with sales tax. First time I shot it, it seemed rather inaccurate and trigger was gritty. Took it home, took it further apart than I had the first time and flushed the striker assembly, re-lubed everything, and tried again. Trigger was much better (eventually going to have someone who knows what they are doing polish the internals) but it was still not as accurate as I had hoped. Normally I shoot pistols with interchangeable grips on the medium to small size so I had been shooting with the small grip strap. I decided to try the larger grip strap. Wasn't as comfortable to hold but who cares because damn did I shoot it better. Group sizes shrunk by almost 2/3 to less than 2" with good ammo when I do my part. This is out of what, for me, is a pocket pistol.

nml
05-22-16, 23:45
The title of the thread made me hope I was going to hear some awesome stories about these kinds of modelsOh that says RACERBACK I first read it as BAREBACK.

pinzgauer
05-23-16, 09:41
I bought a used alloy frame Star 9mm with two mags.

Used Star PD in 45. Might have paid $175? Ran like a champ, small yet reliable. Want to say it was also alloy frame?

No grip safety, if I recall, but otherwise like a 2/3 scale 1911.

This was when options smaller than a commander were the deutonics, stupid expensive and not reliable at the time.

Traded it for a used LW commander, which was another good cheap pistol. Wish I still had both of them!

I think I put 3 dot sights on the star. Know I did on the cmdr

civilian
05-24-16, 17:56
CZ P09 in single action configuration. Capacity, ergonomics, trigger, handling, and price...I was very impressed. Particularly loved the fact that it shipped with the parts to convert it to SAO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talon167
05-24-16, 19:16
Most surprised with are two fold:

1) The Beretta PX4 Storm. A guy at the local range asked me to shoot his because he thought something was wrong with it.* I remember thinking at the time the trigger was much nicer than I expected. I'd like to try one again to see if I still feel the same way.

*He was hitting way low at 7 yards. Shot great for me. Kudos on him for asking someone else to try it rather than just selling it.

2) Sig Legion 226 SAO. Buddy of mine let me borrow his for a few mags. I know what you're thinking... how can I be unexpectedly impressed with an OEM upgraded - virtual race - gun? It was that good. The trigger was insane. Didn't even have to try to reset... the recoil of the pistol was enough. I've never been able to hit an 8" plate from ~10 yards that fast.... basically a mag dump. And I have a regular Sig 226 SAO, 1911, USP Tactical, etc.

RHINOWSO
05-24-16, 21:16
A used S&W 66-3 4" for $350 OTD at a pawn shop 5-6 Christmas's ago.

Something about an older full sized Smith revolver. Smooth DA pull and an amazing SA trigger.

rattlesnake
05-24-16, 21:24
Sig P225 P6.