PDA

View Full Version : Level 4 Ceramic Plates

Stan_TheGunNut
05-16-16, 16:36
I'm looking for good quality and relatively light weight (7ish lbs) level 4 ceramic plates, one set for front and back. A google search let me to multiple suppliers, so my question is are any of them really better or worse than others? Also, are there any vendors anyone would suggest as trustworthy or ones that I should avoid? Any other advice those of you who have used them care to offer? Curved?

The plates should fit in a Banshee plate carrier which is 10"x12". My price point is in the range of $200/plate, give or take.

Body armor is new to me and I've been reading, but I am perhaps a bit overwhelmed by all the options. Any advice is appreciated.

GTF425
05-16-16, 17:03
Not to be rude, but you are not going to get Level IV ceramics that are 7 lbs for $200/ea.

That's asking for some cutting edge performance at AR500 price.

GTF425
05-16-16, 17:06
I stand corrected.

http://www.skdtac.com/SKD-Armor-10-x-12-Level-IV-Stand-Alone-Plate-p/amr.905.htm

Stan_TheGunNut
05-16-16, 17:09
Not to be rude, but you are not going to get Level IV ceramics that are 7 lbs for $200/ea.

That's asking for some cutting edge performance at AR500 price.

One of the reasons I'm here is to get more educated on the subject. 7ish lbs and give or take on the price. I want quality and understand I may have to pay more. I also understand that technologies change and competition can impact pricing. I want a good value for my dollar.

Defaultmp3
05-16-16, 17:30

That's asking for some cutting edge performance at AR500 price.Wait long enough, and steals will come along. Back in July of 2015, Tyr was blowing out a set of triple curve level 4 ceramics manufactured by Paraclete for 177 USD (yes, set, as in two plates).

The thing about plates is that one should optimize for mission; what do you plan on doing with these plates? 7 lbs. for each plate will get pretty damn heavy prety quick, especially in the heat. Then the question is, why level 4? For example, remember that level 4 plates are not necessarily multi-hit; all that it takes to be rated NIJ level 4 is the ability to provide protection against a single round of .30-06 M2 AP. This does not translate into being able to provide proper protection against multiple rounds of 5.56×45mm or 7.62×39mm or 7.62×51mm.

Hell, it technically doesn't even mean it'll protect against a single round of 5.56×45mm, even though it usually does; this is one of the big confusions over armor, the fact that higher levels does not mean it'll protect against what was specified by the lower levels. The biggest misconception, for example, is the fact that NIJ level 3 only means that a plate is rated against 6 rounds of 7.62×51mm M80 FMJ; this does not translate into protection against 5.56×45mm. There are many NIJ level 3 rated plates that can be defeated by M855 (generally lightweight, but thick, UHMWPE plates) or be defeated by M193 (generally thin steel plates), but people think that "hey, it'll protect against .308, so it'll definitely protect against .223".

For most non-LE civilian applications, level 4 plates are heavy, thick, and don't necessarily provide all that great protection. However, it is generally relatively cheap. Be realistic in why you need/want armor, and tailor your choices to your budget and anticipated threats.

Stan_TheGunNut
05-16-16, 18:12
For most non-LE civilian applications, level 4 plates are heavy, thick, and don't necessarily provide all that great protection. However, it is generally relatively cheap. Be realistic in why you need/want armor, and tailor your choices to your budget and anticipated threats.

I can't really say I "need" any body armor. It's more of a want since I'm not kicking in doors for a living, don't live in a bad neighborhood, and don't go looking for trouble. Uses would be to throw on for bump in the night, and to satisfy my wants, and because one day our government may tell me I can't buy it anymore. I do realize that a soft concealable type vest would probably work, and so would other mediums such as steel. A ceramic level 4 plate seems a good option for all potential threats though.

ggammell
05-16-16, 18:28
You may also look for the level III/special threat plates. Covers most of what you're likely to see. That .30-06 AP is just about unobtanium anyway. Advice given to me by Doc Roberts.

Kain
05-16-16, 19:10
You may also look for the level III/special threat plates. Covers most of what you're likely to see. That .30-06 AP is just about unobtanium anyway. Advice given to me by Doc Roberts.

I think, there is wisdom here. Also, one should also note that once you start getting down range from a possible threat, even a round that might defeat the armor system at close range may still be stopped at even a short distance further down range. Andrew had a good video where he shot a plate with I think a .270 and while it defeated it at close range once he got it out to like 80 or 100 yards or something like that the round was stopped. So once again mission drives the gear, if you are kicking in doors, what is the worse case scenario that you are going to be facing? If you are looking for bug out armor, armor or classes, or to piss off liberals, what rounds are going to be the mostly likely to be seen in the field, my concerns are M193, M855, and M80. If it can take those rounds down, and soak up multiple hits, I think I am pretty well covered. After that, comfort. I like triple curve.

Stan_TheGunNut
05-16-16, 19:24

Yes, I haven't seen any for sale in a long time, but I haven't looked for it either. I've got a couple of SPAM cans of it in my gun room, and maybe an odd bandoleer or two of it as well. I can't see too many home invaders rushing my place with M1 Garands.

I'll look into other special threat plates as well.

tower59
05-16-16, 20:46
So, what are some good current options for specific plates that meet the needs of defeating M193 & M855 today? Weights keep coming down and performance improving. Appreciate any expert recommendations on the current offerings. Thanks!

Adam_s
05-16-16, 21:40
After having studied hard armor for a while, I've come to hate the NIJ classification system. The various rating are not iterative, despite what common sense may imply. A level IV plate may NOT be better than a Level III plate...and never mind that neither may wind up stopping a particularly hot M855A1 round.

Armor selection should be based first upon the anticipated threats. Once you've established that, then you can start balancing cost vs. weight vs. thickness.

Only you (and your agency, etc) know what your expected threat range will be. What works for me may not work for you. Further, the decision to balance weight vs. thickness is a very personal one. For myself-I would prefer a thinner, but heavier plate, so that my shooting mechanics do not change as much while wearing armor. For others, they may prefer a lighter, but thicker plate, as they will be wearing it long term.

For MY needs, I run a set of AT Armor STOP plates. They are "special threat," rated, which means they were not tested to the (rather lacking) NIJ standards, but instead, to stop several specific rounds, as confirmed by independent labs (HP White). Said plates are rated to stop multiple rounds of M855, M193, and Mild Steel Core 7.62x39mm. Each plate clocks in at ~4.5lbs, and is 0.5" thick. For me, these balanced my needs for protection perfectly, and they price was right at the time.

Before ANYONE buys Lvl IV armor, I would encourage you to read what Lvl IV certification entails. You may very well be surprised at that...

Once you've made an educated analysis, then, and only then, start shopping for armor solutions. Remember, this is a potentially life saving piece of equipment. You always pray that your armor never gets tested, but if it does...you may wish you went with something with a reputation.

Sparky5019
05-24-16, 13:28
http://www.bulletproofme.com

Mine were about 450 for the set. They're the shooter cut version with a triple curve square back plate which gives more coverage.

locofinn
05-26-16, 21:42
I'll second what Sparky noted. I also got BPM ICW level IV with premium Aramid IIIa backers. Reasonable weight with options to run the IIIa protection only during training. Good guys with legit product.

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-30-16, 20:55
armour-wear.com