PDA

View Full Version : Which 9mm for first handgun?

Professor Gascan
05-18-16, 12:15
I've narrowed down my choices to a Canik TP9v2 or S&W sd9ve. Both seem to get good reviews for reliability, with the edge going to the Canik for it's crisp trigger break and reset and increased mag capacity. From what I've read the S&W gets mixed reviews on the trigger, some don't mind it, while others hate it.

I figure that if I end up not liking the SD trigger and go the Apex spring replacement route, the cost is basically a wash. I've had both in my hand as well as a Glock 17 and 19 but the SD9 and TP9 fit my small carny hands better. This is going to be a range/practice/HD gun and I was hoping maybe someone has shot both and can give me an idea of which was the softer shooter.

If anyone has an alternative for a full size service pistol in the +/- $350 range I'm all ears. TIA

DirectTo
05-18-16, 12:24
I'd be more inclined to search for a police trade in Glock in that price range purely for the availability of parts, mags, holsters, etc. With searching you could track down a clean one, possible even Gen 4 if you're patient (little smaller in the hands).

Between the two the SD9 (that whole series really) hasn't ever gotten great reviews, especially for its trigger. The Canik has developed a cult following, but at the same time it's a foreign gun which is going to have limited domestic support and parts availability should something go wrong.

ramairthree
05-18-16, 12:34
I have a relative with the smith.
I thought it was junk.

Spend another 100 bucks on a used M&P is you like the smiths,
Or better yet
A Glock 19.

If you want soft shooting for home defense and a small grip save up for a beretta Vertec.

I am having trouble see the 19 as having a grip that is too large.

Auto-X Fil
05-18-16, 12:38
Go buy a used CZ75. Seriously. No new $350 handgun is a good buy, because they cost the same as a good used gun, and depreciate fast. I don't like Glocks, but they are reliable and used ones are a solid deal.

Also, the Walther PPS is under $400 and is incredible. Miles better than either of the guns you listed.

Defaultmp3
05-18-16, 12:44
Just something to consider, just because a gun fees better in your hand does not mean you'll shoot better with it. Case in point, one of the things that people tend to stumble upon is that the best feeling combination of panels and backstraps on the P30 does not necessarily have the best performance (e.g., medium panels and backstrap feel the best, but shoot faster and more accurate with medium panels and large backstrap). If having a gun that feels better in hand will get you to shoot more, then go for it, but if you're going to be dedicated to the craft, the numbers on the shot timer matter far more than the subjective feelings of comfort in hand.

MountainRaven
05-18-16, 13:02
I believe AIMSurplus has had some surplus CZ 75s and 85s come through recent. I would probably start by looking at those.

Psalms144.1
05-18-16, 13:11
While my default setting is to recommend the Glock (specifically the 19 or 17) to just about any "which 9mm?" question, it sounds like you've handled them and found that you'd have issues with manipulating one due to hand size. It's easy for me to say you can train through it (because I've trained plenty of small-handed shooters through issues with the Glock), but you have to do you, as they say.

In good conscience, I can't recommend ANY 9mm as a first handgun - as I FIRMLY believe the best way to learn to shoot is the old fashioned way, with a decent .22 LR and an instructor who can teach the basics well. Once that's accomplished (and while mastering the basics) it's easy to go window shopping, or, even better, go rent various options in order to find out which pistol is the best choice for you. I'd look for a basic Browning Buckmark or Ruger .22 and a couple of bricks of ammo.

However, I know that advice typically gets poo-pooed for a variety of reasons. So, if you're bound and determined to get a 9mm for your first pistol, I'd echo what others have said. The Canik is an unknown quantity, and has gone through a couple of versions already due to fairly significant issues. The SD9 is rarely seen as shootable without an investment in a variety of parts from Apex that are going to raise you into the price of a "decent" pistol in the first place. Your budget is pretty restrictive for a quality 9mm, so I'd say you need to shop for used. The CZ-75/P01/P07 should fit into that price range (barely) while gently used. You might be able to find PD trade ins on M&Ps or Glocks in that price range, but you need to know going in that the M&Ps are notorious for accuracy problems - again, NOT what you need when learning to shoot.

nova3930
05-18-16, 13:34
My advice is to go borrow/rent a bunch and actually shoot them before you decide. I've learned the hard way that what you think you'll like and what you think will work often vary from reality when you start pulling the trigger.

ColtSeavers
05-18-16, 14:25
My advice is to go borrow/rent a bunch and actually shoot them before you decide. I've learned the hard way that what you think you'll like and what you think will work often vary from reality when you start pulling the trigger.

Agreed.

Professor Gascan
05-18-16, 15:59
Thinking more on it seems like going the 22lr route seems to make the most sense. For all the reasons Psalms mentioned, plus the added bonus of cheaper ammo for more training/fun.

That way I can also take my time and look for a good deal on a used 9mm somewhere down the road. Looks like the 22/45 gets some pretty high praise, and seeing how the design has been around for so long they must have got something right. Thanks again guys.

HeruMew
05-18-16, 16:17
While I understand the comments, on all accounts, a TP9 is awesome. I've put over 3k through mine and have always trusted it. Between Tula and Hornady, all has fed. I've yet to have a malfunction, granted I also had shooting technique before I purchased it. Mine was a v1 from J and G sales from the first batch imported. For 299, mine came with night sights the holster and 2 mags. The current sets ship with 3 sight posts, to change out your POI height, mag loader, holster (get a new one anyways, avoid serpa ), and 2 mags.

Glock trigger beats it, and i love my 26 with a passion. But for 350 or less, my experience would recommend them, especially as a first pistol in 9mm.

Everything comes down to money, if you can afford a glock, 17 or 19 for your first 9mm, go for it. I havent tried M & P, no one i know has one. But I have heard tons of great things. And the factory options are nuts.

Thing is, if you're not quite sure guns are your thing, or maybe just a budget gun to get comfortable with and have for defense, there are decent options for your initial price range you wanted. My only true experience is the TP9 for that money, and it has been worth every penny. I've suggested them to all new shooters interested in 9mm handguns. They're a 4" combat sized pistol with enough heft to not be to snappy. But light enough to comfortably carry. Accurate and eat ammo.

Experiences are all different, and everyone's mileage will vary. But kudos, because you took the time to get some decent information before diving into a big decision.

Welcome to M4C. Make sure to post pictures of your decision. :)

tplee05
05-18-16, 19:48
I've narrowed down my choices to a Canik TP9v2 or S&W sd9ve. Both seem to get good reviews for reliability, with the edge going to the Canik for it's crisp trigger break and reset and increased mag capacity. From what I've read the S&W gets mixed reviews on the trigger, some don't mind it, while others hate it.

I figure that if I end up not liking the SD trigger and go the Apex spring replacement route, the cost is basically a wash. I've had both in my hand as well as a Glock 17 and 19 but the SD9 and TP9 fit my small carny hands better. This is going to be a range/practice/HD gun and I was hoping maybe someone has shot both and can give me an idea of which was the softer shooter.

If anyone has an alternative for a full size service pistol in the +/- $350 range I'm all ears. TIA
Like others have said, go to a gun shop & range and shoot a bunch different guns. Years ago I was certain the first handgun I bought for myself was going to be a Glock 17, with a Beretta 92FS being a likely fallback. I shot a lot of different guns while deciding. Then picked up a .40 M&P (didn't have a range gun in 9mm at the time) and I knew I found my ideal handgun. I was instantly better than any of the other guns I shot that day (including a G17; pretty much always grabbed one when hitting the range). It felt so much better in my hand, and it showed on the target. I've since bought other guns, incl. the 9mm M&P Shield, the M&P .40 is my runaway favorite. It my wife's favorite as well. I have never shot the fullsize M&P in 9mm though, but I imagine it's at least as good as the .40.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

556BlackRifle
05-18-16, 20:57
A friend from work loves his TP9. Says it's the best 9mm ever so I guess it's worth a look.

My recommendation would be:
G19 or G17
Sig P228 or 229
Beretta 92

I've seen some great deals on S&W 39XX and 59XX LE trade ins. Cabela's had some 59s for like $225 last year. If you could find one of those, I'd grab it up!

MegademiC
05-18-16, 20:59
Police trade in g19, m&p or sig and some professional training.

Support money will save you cash.

Edit, actually, if you won't carry it, any good, popular 9mm beretta, cz, hk, etc, used. Don't buy something obscure, it's just a long road of money and headaches with a glock at the end of it

M4Eagle
05-21-16, 18:40
The best gun or me for ease of conceal carry, accuracy n reliability is the Smith n Wesson Shield in 9mm.
For home defense n range it is the Beretta 92FS/ M9. And I've owned more 9s than I can list..but ya can't go wrong with these two once you decide the specific purpose ( conceal comfortable carry or hone defense / fun att He range )although the Shield can do both well

TheBearMedic
05-22-16, 02:53
I agree with this, as well. In think another important question to ask is what will be the intended purpose of this gun? I'm a strong proponent of "buy once, cry once," so if we know what you would like to get out of this gun, then we can all get behind you on push you in the right direction.

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-31-16, 12:55
get a glock, end of story

ritepath
06-01-16, 06:17
Canik from your list.

I'd recommend a p-07 before the Canik.

I will say congrats on not falling for the glock pressure push from the "there's only one" crowd.

JC5188
06-01-16, 07:21
I have several thousand rounds on a 40VE Smith. It is accurate and reliable. However, it feels cheap and the trigger is literally the worst I've ever shot. People who "don't mind it" haven't shot anything to compare it to. I was the same way, as it was my first semi-auto pistol. As a matter of fact, I got it out the other day just to dry fire for awhile, and it fvcked me up so bad that it took 3 hours to get back to where I could pull my M&P trigger smoothly.

Due to reviews of the Canik, I'd go with it hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talon167
06-01-16, 07:42
Admittedly, I’ve never shot the Canik, but……….

Around me you can find sales for M&Ps for $399, or even a Beretta PX4 Storm for the same price. I’d consider either one of those two GTG.

jwinch2
06-01-16, 09:11

That was going to be my advice. Go to a range that has a good selection of rentals and try them out. See which ones feel good, which ones you shoot well, and then start digging into their reliability, etc. I am also a believer that, while you can find deals once and a while, for the most part you do get what you pay for. I would be inclined to save the extra money to get something better versus getting something now. That is obviously up to you.

In terms of specific guns, I have never enjoyed Glocks, and have owned two different HK's, both of which I ended up selling. I would urge you to take a look at CZ and see how they feel to you. I have personally not had a handgun in my hand that felt more comfortable, and I would respectfully suggest that it is worth your time to check them out.

Scrubber3
06-01-16, 11:09
OP, take a look a the Sig 2022. You can find them around your price point and they are far better than either of the pistols you mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

MStarmer
06-01-16, 11:45
You say range/practice/HD gun. Well if you're buying something for practice or range use, buy whatever you want. When you add HD into the mix then either budget a little more (save a little longer), find something to sell on offerup or skip some lunches. Great pistols are not out of your reach at these price ranges. There's a reason everyone on here is going to point you to a Glock 19, because we've all came to the same conclusion. Or try a Sig P320, again you can get them for $500 and they're rock solid. Not to the level of a Glock but still and they're a bit chunkier, especially if you go a full size Large sized frame. M&P's can be a solid choice too, but don't sell yourself short "settling" for something low end.

Baldness
06-01-16, 16:05
It was said earlier and i would agree. A police trade in glock 19 or 17 would be a far better choice. Same price point for a gun that is better than the two you mentioned. As long as you don't mind a little holster wear on the finish its a good deal. I have a gen 2 19 that i got a while ago that is accurate and eats everything i feed it. Plus I don't feel bad if it gets dinged. Just my 2 cents.

Baldness
06-01-16, 16:11
It was said earlier and i would agree. A police trade in glock 19 or 17 would be a far better choice. Same price point for a gun that is better than the two you mentioned. As long as you don't mind a little holster wear on the finish its a good deal. I have a gen 2 19 that i got a while ago that is accurate and eats everything i feed it. Plus I don't feel bad if it gets dinged. Just my 2 cents.