PDA

View Full Version : AR Range bag tool kit, firearm maintenance

A5scott
05-18-16, 18:21
So I'm putting together a better tool kit than I already have, which is a hex wrench set that is built into the handle of itself, a flathead screwdriver, a precision screwdriver set, flashlight, small Otis cleaning kit, q-tips, patches, cleaning oil.
Just a kit to take care of most adjustments or cleaning one might need at the range.

I want to put a better kit together with dedicated tools that aren't tied together (like allen sets sometimes are).
So far I have:

allen key set including down to 1/16" (small enough for clutch in Nightforce turrets). Anyone use metric hex keys?
3/8" hex driver for Larue mount.
1/8" hex. I wrote this one down and forget why it's on the list.
T15 torx driver.
Flathead screwdriver
Precision screwdriver set
Dental picks

Anyone have suggestions?

thanks
scott

shadow93
05-18-16, 19:10
I'm probably in the minority here, but I bring very little tools to the range. I keep only a glock tool, GI M4 cleaning kit, a multi tool, and a couple small screw drivers might still be rolling around in the bag. I don't plan on cleaning my gun at the range, most I've been to around here actually don't allow you take it apart in any area where it would be optimal. Theres a tool box in my car with some basic tools usually so if I really needed it then I could go get it from there I suppose. If something is wrong with a gun at the range, I generally just shoot a different one I brought and deal with it later.

Ernst
05-18-16, 19:21
I don't mess around with bringing a tool bag to the range or a training class, I simply bring along a spare AR and a spare BCG. That pretty much covers any eventuality.

556BlackRifle
05-18-16, 20:04
My range bag is heavy enough without tools. ;) If I'm going to the range, I have a tool kit in my car. If I'm flying to a class, I throw some basic tools and spare parts into my Pelican case. The tools / parts that I bring depend on what gun(s) I'll be shooting.

Moose-Knuckle
05-19-16, 00:57
Sectioned cleaning rod and chamber brush to remove stuck cases, split cases, and or a case with a separated head.

Randall
05-19-16, 14:35
Condoms and duct tape... ;)

I recently built consolidated basic tool kits for my range bags. Main goal was to keep it small and light weight, no kitchen sink required. I went over all accessories that needed a screwdriver, hex, or torx key and made a master list of those required tools. Mine contain:

1. Batteries: Extra set for optics and lights
2. Hex Keys: 5/32, 9/64, 1/8, 7/64, 2.5mm (your mounts and gear may require less/different/more options)
3. Torx: T15, T10
4. Screws: One or two extra for each item
5. Screwdriver: Flat and Phillips
6. Larue Tension Wrench for mounts
7. Loctite
8. CLP
9. Rag (a worn out sock takes almost no room)
10. Sharpies/Pen/Pencil

I put all the above items in their own plastic bags and found a small squishable shaving kit that i keep it all consolidated in. The plastic bags keep it waterproof (or enough) so if i get rained on, i dont have rusty tools, screws, and corroded batteries. On the note about batteries, i actually vacuum sealed the sets (with how long that spare aimpoint battery is going to sit in there before it needs changed, i figured why not).

A5scott
05-23-16, 00:09
Thanks for some good responses.
Yes the duct tape is crucial. haha. I keep a flesh light in case someone has a sig brace on their AR to hold it for me. I can't take credit for that gem, I saw that one on a friends FB account.
I usually bring more than one AR to the range, just looking to round out what tools I already bring, and compare notes with others. Yes Randall that's what I was getting at.
Thanks again for some good input.

scott

ColtSeavers
05-23-16, 00:38
Gerber needle nose m600
Otis 085 Ultrabore
Old face cloth
Allen/Torx wrench combo pocket doohickey
Other guns

MistWolf
05-23-16, 02:18
First Aid Kit
Gaffer's Tape (Duct Tape is for light-weights)
Lube
A 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol & water along with Q Tips for cleaning lenses
Chocolate Milk
A bag of BBQ Pork Rinds

Hmac
05-23-16, 08:04
MultiTasker

http://multitaskertools.com/img/large/multitasker-all.jpg

Korgs130
05-23-16, 08:26
OP, I think you're on the right track. It is super useful to have the right tools to handle small issue on the spot. I’ve refined what I carry in my bag over the past couple of years now I'm down to just the Mutlitasker and Multitasker Twist. Those two cover just about everything I need: Glock tool, LaRue wrench, front sight tool, Aimpoint Mirco sight tool, castle nut wrench, carbon scraper plus all of the associated torx, hex, phillips and slotted heads. Added to all of that the Multitasker is compatible with the brushes from the Otis. Tool wise, my range bag has:

- Multitasker
- Multitasker Twist
- Blue Loctite
- CLP
- Batteries for Light, Optics, Ear Pro & Timer
- Spare Bolt & Firing Pin
- Small Otis cleaning kit & sectioned cleaning rod
- rag
- Sharpies

1911-A1
05-23-16, 12:41
I always bring Slip2000 and some basic tools because bullshit happens and I'n not driving 30min to the range just to drive home again 10min later.

kirkland
05-23-16, 17:59
don't forget the mobile 1! A little lube can go a long way.

SolarHawk
05-26-16, 03:56
I always bring Slip2000 and some basic tools because bullshit happens and I'n not driving 30min to the range just to drive home again 10min later.

This! My range time is precious and limited. I don't want waste time driving back home because I chose not to bring a few tools with me.